Patient Comments: Hyperkalemia - Diagnosis

Was your doctor able to quickly diagnose your hyperkalemia, or was it difficult to hone in on the disorder?

Comment from: Midge, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

Here is a cause of hyperkalemia which everyone missed. Did you know you can overdose on milk! I didn't until my potassium levels hit critical and my hematologist wanted to put me on dialysis. They thought I was taking supplements. I wasn't. Every glass of milk has 400 mg potassium. A half-gallon has 3200 mg. A gallon has 6400 mg. I was drinking at least a gallon per day. I had to stop drinking milk for a couple days to prove it was the source. My levels returned to normal. If it can do this to a heavy adult, imagine what it can do to a child. I don't know if the potassium is natural or added, but this is a prime example of the toxic levels of vitamins being added to our foods and drinks. Nobody is watching and the medical community overlooks these sources. You can overdose on milk like I did and end up with critical levels of potassium. My entire family drinks large amounts of milk like this. I wonder what other problems these toxic levels of vitamins and preservatives are causing. I think the additives need to stop.

Comment from: JMark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I had blood tests done for diabetes and my potassium level came back at 6.5. I was urged to go to the emergency room, but the copay is too high and I began to research hyperkalemia. It turns out that I was taking Norvasc and Cozaar, an ACE2 inhibitor that causes the retention of potassium. I also have kidney disease, so the doctors stopped the Cozaar and tried other medicines to try to normalize my blood pressure, which has risen to over 200/100. My potassium levels dropped to the mid 4s, so the ACE2 was the culprit. Bystolic caused edema and nothing seemed to lower the pressure except ACE2 inhibitors. Now I am taking Norvasc and another ACE2 medicine that isn't supposed to be quite as bad as the Cozaar at retaining potassium. I am also now taking a diuretic to try to keep the potassium levels down and also a new liquid that I take every 3 days, although the name escapes me at the moment. I believe it works in the digestive tract to keep potassium from getting into the blood. My high blood pressure seems to be the most serious problem, since the high potassium has been linked to the ACE2 inhibitor. Now, if I can find a happy balance!

Comment from: elizabeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been using Istalol eye drops for glaucoma. I have loss of energy, insomnia, queasy tummy, and mild diarrhea.

Comment from: jimbadneck04, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago with torticollis. I take alprazolam for it. The Botox does nothing, can't stretch it. If I go to sleep for 2 minutes it goes away till I wake up. I have had it so long that the area on the left side of my neck to the top side over my ear is always tender. I would do anything to get rid of it. If anyone knows of an electronic hat that would disrupt my brain to allow the spasm to be interrupted, I would gladly be a test patient.

Comment from: researcher 99, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Immense thanks for your website and information on hyperkalemia. My own doctor here in Canada says absolutely nothing about this condition except that a 5.7 blood test result for potassium is beginning to be of concern. When asked about causes, treatment, etc., I get nothing except to go on a low potassium diet. Your information, which I am trusting to be accurate and current has helped tremendously! Thank you.

Hyperkalemia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your hyperkalemia?
Hyperkalemia - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your hyperkalemia?
Hyperkalemia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hyperkalemia.
Hyperkalemia - Medications Question: What medications were you prescribed for hyperkalemia?