Patient Comments: Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hyperglycemia. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gessie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

After 20 years with type 2 diabetes which was in recent years brought bang under control using medications (metformin, glitz and sitagliptin) and a strict low glycemic index diet, two months ago it suddenly rose from readings below 7 to above 17. The highest was 26.8. I am now up to 70 units of insulin as well (2 doses). And nothing is working for my hyperglycemia. The consultant said he doesn't know what's wrong; the diabetic nurses treat the symptoms with ever increasing doses of insulin and my general physician isn't sure and wants to leave it to the experts. Meanwhile, I feel awful and am sleeping my life away!

Comment from: Jeff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I experienced a 3 month period of dry mouth and major weight loss, I still felt fine during this time, though my wife was worried. I went into see my doctor, who ran some blood work. My sugar level was 30 mmol/lt. So next day I saw a diabetes specialist. She shot me up with various Insulin products. Shortly after I lost my sight in one eye and phased out the other. These insulin products increased my already high blood sugars into the high 40s. I decided not to take anything, as it affected me in a really bad way. It took 2 months to regain my sight and still hasn't returned to my perfect vision before I went in. In June my levels have returned to 6 and 7 mmol/lt. I'm thinking it was not diabetes, just a bout of hyperglycemia. Unknown cause as my dietary habits never changed. I now have a serious mistrust of doctors, and unless I'm dying, I don't think I'll be seeing one any time soon.

Comment from: gina moore, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I felt tired, bloated. I can't understand why they say pinworms are not harmful. How can that be! I did not feel the same. Doctors need to be more educated on this.

Comment from: Pinknut16, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have been having frequent hyperglycemic attacks with blood glucose levels ranging from 3.8 to 15.7, two hours after food. My general physician reluctantly gave me glucose monitor to keep check but HC1A came back as normal. He doesn't think I have diabetes.

Comment from: Elba Ramos, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

My experience with hyperglycemia is very bad. When my sugar is over 250 I start having an attack, I have blackout, dizziness and after being in the floor I start hearing myself.

Comment from: BJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had hypoglycemia all my life, but a recent trip to the emergency room found my blood sugar to be 174. I had the same symptoms as l have with low blood sugar and my levels have returned to normal.

Comment from: missmuffet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have a slight headache and back my neck is sore when I bend it. The middle of my neck, I feel a very slight pain. This morning my blood sugar was 281 and tonight it was 217. I watch what I eat, I stay away from things like cake, assorted fruit pies, candy, etc. I have sugar free candy and things like that. Every morning I have non-sweetened apple sauce. I look on the jar for 5 grams of sugar. Should I stop eating that applesauce or what! I trying my best to stay away from sugar.

Comment from: Suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I learned that I had diabetics 2 last August. I do not have insurance, for the last 2 weeks I have been extremely thirsty and nauseous. I do have some metformin 500mg tablets. Today I was very dizzy, got hot flashes, and nauseous. I checked my sugar level and it was 458! Tried to go walking but I'm short of breath. Couple of people just suggested the cinnamon and cider vinegar, just read an article on okra and slicing off the ends and in the middle, put in a glass of water and soak overnight.

Comment from: almageecruises, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I am wondering what happens with mental abilities with Type 2. We have a friendly card game couple times a month. Last game I took my 2 1k mg glumetza ER (recent change from metformin) with food just before going. I didn't check blood sugar. I played the worst ever for about 3 or 4 hours. I played well the last two hours. We gamers have discovered the use of cough syrup before or during the game has a negative effect on our playing skill. We will ask someone after they make a bone headed play. I checked my hypo symptoms and no mention is made of mental effects. What is the mental effects of type 2 and treatments for it.

Comment from: Becky, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 20

My son is 12 years old. He was diagnosed with type 1 in 5th grade when he was 10 on Jan 8, 2009. We were doing really well at managing it and he was for the most part independent. All of a sudden about 1 month ago we had to call the ambulance 3 mornings in a row and administer glucagon injections due to blood sugars in the 20's, him seizing and unresponsiveness. He had some memory loss after those episodes regarding if he had gone to school that week or done his homework. The doctor seems to think possibly he was injecting himself with extra humalog trying to get out of school etc or in a confused low state and done it and not known. This has continued and now he is in the hospital and has been for 5 days and his blood sugars are staying between mid 300s and in the 400s. No one knows what's wrong. He's getting more insulin than he has in the past month. CBC, CMP all normal. Sonogram of pancreas has ruled out an insulinoma. I too am ready to have my son back and be better. The Doctor said no reason for type 1 patients to not have a normal life if they take care of themselves!!!!

Comment from: Oksana L., 35-44 Female Published: March 01

I only had gestational diabetes 7 years ago and have been fine since then. I frequently eat and snack. When I am hungry, I feel weak and dizzy, but my sugar is normal. I've had a lot of stress recently at work as an attorney plus lack of regular meals during the day. I started feeling like I was about to pass out, silver dots in the eyes, hands tremoring, etc. My sugar was 172, 166. Even on fasting in the morning it was 125. Shocker! No thirst but hunger. Increased heart beat, numbness in one-two fingers, sweating, hyper active then feel sleepy. I've decided to take control of my stress- exercise more, always bring food with me, less sweets.

Comment from: tbaselj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have type 2 diabetes, and when I go hyperglycemic, I get thirsty, fatigued, and nauseated. My doctor says that nausea is not a usual symptom, but I get it every time. I use Januvia and Metformin to treat my diabetes. Unfortunately, I rarely exercise and sometimes my raging sweet tooth gets the better of me. I also work full-time midnights and eat two meals a day when working because I sleep through lunch. Luckily, I work at a hospital and am only two floors above the ER.

Comment from: bela, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 14

My son has only just been diagnosed with it, but I would really like to ask how to prevent it and how to get rid of it. His last bad one was on Mothers Day this year and he throws up first and then slowly goes jelly like and doesn't know what is going on and he looks right through you when he is like that. His BSL dropped to 0.9 and nearly ended up in a coma. The doctors have no idea what it is or what to do about it. They are just putting needles in after needles. I can't stand it anymore I just want my son better. They have given me a GlucaGen shot to give him just in case, but have not even showed me how to use it. I've never used a needle ever. I wouldn't know how far to put it through is leg. Then they tell me I have to get it through the muscle or it won't work. (Ambulance man tried to go through it with me) when my son had another one on the school holidays this year.

Comment from: Jenny Johnson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Sometimes to most of the time I get extremely thirsty after a meal and even when I drink water it takes awhile for the extreme thirst to go away. I tend to skip meals a lot during the day. I get busy. Then other times I'm consistent. I believe I am too inconsistent with my eating habits. On two separate occasions I have blacked out and/or passed out due to lack of eating and dehydration though I drank Gatorade when the incident happened. This usually happens when I am really stressed, exhausted, and haven't had enough to eat. Is it really hyperglycemia or am I becoming diabetic? I don't exercise either. When I test my blood it is always either 70, 80, 95, but just today all the sudden I got extremely thirsty so I decided to test my blood on my meter and it said "140." So I tested it again a minute later to get a more accurate reading and it said "120". I'm so confused by this. I ate 3-4 hours earlier but I didn't eat breakfast, or lunch.

Comment from: bev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have looked after my mom's type II diabetes for many years. About 8 years ago I developed the same thing. I found that using my Mom's diet did not help me at all. I should state that my overall diet is terrible. About the same time I developed diabetes I also developed ulcerative colitis, acid reflux, high cholesterol, and liver pathology. I found the few veggies and fruit I like irritated other medical problems. I don't overeat, but I do eat a lot of milk products as I have less acid and stomach upsets. This in turn aggravates my liver with increased pain and bloating. The medications I take for pain upsets my stomach and I frequently vomit or suffer severe nausea which in turn means I can't keep my diabetic medications down or control my diet. I can't be the only one with these types of problems. I should state that my other medical problems are chronic rather than at an advanced stage of the disease.

Comment from: bfstacy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have had a high glucose level for about 17 years now. I have been on a lot of medications for other illnesses so I have been controlling my hyperglycemia with my diet. So far it has been working.

Comment from: babskubes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am 45 years old and was diagnosed with hyperglycemia when I was about 14 years old. I never have known much about it – nobody in my immediate family has it or diabetes. I have found recently that if I eat candy or sweets it will put me to sleep in about 20 minutes, if I am not moving around. I am also tired and have no energy to get things done. I can't seem to lose any weight. I am not grossly big, but about 30 pounds overweight. I have recently been diagnosed with bone-on-bone arthritis in both knees, so know I need to get the weight off to keep them from hurting. I am just trying to figure out why I get light headed and sometimes dizzy. It scares me that I can get really dizzy and pass out. I have done that before and have had seizures.

Comment from: Toomuchsugar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have Type 2 and my sugar always runs above 250. Everytime I go to the doctor they always look so disappointed in me. I know I could exercise more but muy motivation is nowhere to be found. I tried cutting out breads, sweets and sodas, with no luck to bring down my FSBS. I don't know what else to do, I take Metformin and 108 units of Levamir and nothing seems to help.

Comment from: dee11, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

A cortisone shot made my reading go over 400. I did not know that cortisone would affect blood sugar...

Comment from: Hawkeyes, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I just spent 3 weeks in hospital. First diagnosed with acute pancreatitis, then jaundice, then hyperglycemia. My sugar levels jumped all over (I am Type 2). Every time they tested. If over 10 they would inject fast acting insulin. I am home now still exhausted and afraid I will go into insulin shock. Have had wicked headache for 5 weeks now and I am going back to see doc on Thursday as can't shake it.

Comment from: JPShields1978, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I'm 33 years old; I eat regularly, exercise, and am over all healthy. There is no diabetes in my family, yet here within the last six months my blood sugar is never below 120 and usually it's over. I have the very shaky hands all the time anymore. My mother in law is very diabetic and after the first week of the shakes I have made it a point to check my blood sugar on a daily basis, which is how i know that it is always above 120. I am growing really concerned with this.

Comment from: Jim Rawdon, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am a type 1 insulin diabetic for 33 years. I take 3 injections of Novolog before meals the amount depends on my reading (sliding scale) and Lantus at bedtime. In the last year I have experienced a change in my well being in that most mornings I awake with low blood sugar 58 to 68. Obviously hyperglycemia causes my body problems thereafter during the day. I have chest pains and am very tired and become sullen and I am moody. Simple solution takes less insulin or a cracker before bed. It doesn't work for me. In fact I go to bed at 11pm awake at 4am my BS reading is 138 great! That same morning at 7 am I am 80.

Comment from: BertTheRat, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

Before i was diagnosed with type 2 hyperglycemia I went days without hardly eating or sleeping. I had an incredible amount of energy, but I was constantly thirsty and way too hyper for everyone. I was also and still am extremely happy which I haven't seen anywhere to be one of the symptoms. For me it is has been a life changing experience for the better even though there are some bad effects and risks to other long term health problems. I am not scared of anything, my brain works better and faster than ever. I went from being kind of shy and depressed to the most talkative person I know. Even when I got my sugars down to a less scary level I am still happy and full of energy. Maybe I have something else but the doctors see the sugar level and a couple of common side effects and they say diabetes.

Comment from: stevoo1989, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I am nineteen and I was recently diagnosed with type 1 hyperglycemia diabetes. I have tendencies to black out and my friends are around and tell me that I get very belligerent and irate and violent what could be the causes of it and I have no recollection of the day of the black out.

Comment from: Worried man., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

Just wondering what is fasting hyperglycemia. In my case and after measure five day in row, the level goes up to 144 after waking up in the morning and drops to 100 rang in the afternoon. This may be the case for the past four years ago and had offered no medication and my HAC1 is normal at 5 max, but the latest urine test reveals +3 for the first time and my Doctor recommended for me to take low dosage of Glucophage. Can someone enlighten me on this.

Comment from: Nana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

Here a few years ago I noticed anytime I had sugar or had something sugary the first thing I would start off with is a headache, shaky, and then have to lay down (would go to sleep). Now here lately I noticed if I had not ate for a while and then ate a little bit after I get a headache and not feel good. What can I do?

Published: November 26

My experience with hyperglycemia is that I'm always tired my head hurts and when the light is on in my room I squint. I am tired most of the time unless I get some coffee or soda pop like a Coke or Pepsi and I have insomnia.

Comment from: kfnjwh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am a post gastric bypass patient of 10 years. I was not diabetic before gastric bypass surgery. I had an episode where both my legs lost muscle control and I fell, never losing consciousness. For two months now we are trying to find out why? I had episodes of hypoglycemia in the past, but this is a switch. At the beginning of year I was changing eating habits to a vegetarian and sometimes total vegan. I have been told that my new eating plan would not cause this reaction.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Diabetes Newsletter