Patient Comments: Hydronephrosis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hydronephrosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: squid91, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I am a 24 year old girl and have been suffering from kidney problems since birth. I was diagnosed with hyrdronephrosis at age 17 (after years of constant pain and investigations) and had a pyeloplasty procedure performed. It worked and I was well for a few months until I started getting urinary tract infections (UTIs) and experiencing extreme pain again. I had another of these operations done at the age of 21. All was well again until I developed kidney stones the year after and had to have lithotripsy to remove them. Since then I have had about a year's worth of being well (best year of my life) but have had intermittent UTIs ever since, I would say I have had around 20 to 25 all in all (maybe more). Most recently I was admitted to hospital with dehydration and diagnosed with a kidney infection and was hospitalized for three days. I had an ultra sound MAG 3 and a CT scan and am waiting for my results (September 2016). I am wondering if anybody had been through anything similar and had a success story to share. I am at the end of my tether with this illness.

Comment from: Sharon B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have severe hydroureteronephrosis with parenchymal atrophy. I had a very large left side ovarian cyst removed about 5 years ago. Within weeks I started to have pain and went to the emergency room thinking I might have kidney stones. They took an x-ray and told me I had constipation! They told me to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate and I would feel better, and sent me home. I had the pain off and on for several weeks, but thought it was constipation. Otherwise I was symptom free. About a year later I had an MRI for low back pain and that is when the kidney problem was discovered. The block starts where the bladder and ureter connect. By that time I only had 9 percent function in my left kidney. Too late to fix it. Also since the very first week I have suffered from chronic constipation. I am sure it is all connected somehow.

Comment from: RedPoppet, 45-54 Female Published: April 01

I have just been diagnosed with my third deep vein thrombosis (DVT). The first, in 2001, was as a result of surgery. The 2nd, in 2014, was after a long-haul flight from US to Australia. The reason for the 3rd, current [April 2016] DVT is still to be determined. No surgeries, flights or other obvious triggers and past blood screen has indicated that I do not have a clotting disorder.

Comment from: Novella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have been dealing with hydronephrosis of my left kidney for about 20 years. With this last attempt to get my kidney to drain properly, my urologist used the da Vinci method (a robot) to repair the damaged part of my ureter that was causing an obstruction (ureteropelvic junction pyeloplasty). He inserted a stent and then removed it weeks later. For months, tests revealed the kidney was draining ok. Then it wasn't draining ok. The doctor said that though the repair was successful and my kidney had 29 percent function before the operation, (enough to save the kidney) the ureter may not be working right. I go in a week for a MAG6 renal scan with Lasix to determine what is going on. I've already been through all this. It's a vicious cycle. I may be better off just asking the doctor to take the kidney out.

Comment from: Vscrap, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I am 27 year old male and have congenital hydronephrosis (grade 4 severe pelvi-ureteric junction obstruction in the left kidney). Fortunately, I never experienced any pain, just some uneasiness in the left side of my belly. I started observing this from childhood but attributed to some indigestion. In 2009, while taking USG test, I accidentally found that I have this problem. After many tests, I found that the split function is 35 percent. I consulted many urologists and nephrologists. Urologists suggested that I go for pyeloplasty whereas one nephrologist told me that if I go for pyeloplasty, there is a chance of secondary hydronephrosis post pyeloplasty. Moreover I am not interested in pyeloplasty. I go for blood/urine test once in 6 months to check creatinine and pus cells count and make sure that I don't involve in any sport/activity which might rupture my left kidney. I never took any medicine also. In 2014, I did a split function test and saw that it got reduced to 12 percent. Only thing I can do now is ignore this with the above mentioned risk factors or remove my kidney as it is not a good option to go for pyeloplasty if the split function is 15 percent. My kidney size is around 25 cm x 18 cm.

Comment from: collar bone fracture, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 02

My best friend's clavicle got fractured by a bike accident. He has a well-built body; doubt is whether he can lift weight in gym after recovery.

Comment from: aneczkabeczka, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had all symptoms of hydronephrosis and kidney stones. My previous doctor treated me for arthritis, never bothering to treat the blood, protein and ketones in my urine. I went to see a urologist, he performed lithotripsy with stent placement. My kidney function has been preserved.

Comment from: Molly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

In 1996 I had uroplasty surgery that restructured the kidney. I was off work for 2months but recovered nicely. No need for antibiotics and life returned to normal. In April 2012 the same kidney swelled and the pain was back. I am thankful for 16 good years! I am hopeful that the treatment methods have advanced and I would not have to go through that painful surgery again.

Take the Kidney Disease Quiz
Comment from: mommanarciso, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

Stint placement under general anesthesia at 30 weeks of pregnancy. It was horrible!!! It saved my kidney, but I was in so much pain that they gave me opium and belladonna suppositories to deal with the pain. Look over your options carefully before making your decision.

Comment from: Marg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had hydronephrosis in May. It was from a kidney stone lodged in the ureter. They tried stints and nephrostomy tube, but my kidney had failed and was not repairable. Just had left kidney removed in July. Doing well.

Comment from: vishnuvardhan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

For the past six months, I've been struggling with mild to moderate hydronephrosis in my right kidney. There was no mass storage evidence and my pelvic system is normal. Moderate means any severe condition? I'm not sure about these terms.

Comment from: alida, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had developed it at five months pregnant took them two days of extreme pain to diagnosis and they put a stent in me, which supposed to be for most part painless, but for some reason I felt a ton and was in wheelchair for the rest of my pregnancy and in pain. Removal was horrifying due to the fact that they don't put you to sleep during the removal they use a little grabber with three prongs and go in and pull it out. The lady I had was extremely rude and kept dropping and reinserting it and pulling and dropping again, as well as passing stones and peeing blood, not fun.

Comment from: AzSummer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Robotic laproscopic surgery to remove a congenital obstruction at the uteropelvic junction. Less than a year later I have hydronephrosis again in the same kidney (right) and new symptoms in the left. I don't know yet what they'll do as my surgeon is booked up for another month.

Comment from: Dtopoulos, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

The treatment for my unilateral hydronephrosis was a cystoscopy with ureteral stent placement.

Take the Kidney Disease Quiz