Patient Comments: Hydronephrosis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with hydronephrosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: CK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I had hydronephrosis in my left kidney due to a blockage and surgery. Long story, but after they drained my kidney, I had a test that showed my kidney was dead or non-functioning. I was told by my doctor that it was ok for it to stay in my body. Then I developed IBSD (irritable bowel syndrome) and this thing called reactive arthritis. It's like rheumatoid arthritis, but it hits different places throughout my body. It's like I have an infection in my body and my immune system is attacking my joints. I can't help but believe this is all due to my dead kidney that could still be filling with fluids. The last time they drained it, it filled three bags.

Comment from: Lea, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I went to the doctor in 2013 due to a small lump I felt on my right abdomen. Then I did some scan (ultrasound and MRI) and all types of urine test (normal). Later I found out I had mild hydronephrosis under MRI. I have been following up with my doctor for 1 year by now, but I got no symptoms of any kind, only some heaviness by my side. Hopefully this will heal on its own.

Comment from: televisionman, Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction since I was born in 1956 and constantly been going to the emergency rooms for chronic pain in my left flank; it is hard to urinate and I have severe bleeding. In 1988 I had kidney surgery to correct this the hydronephrosis and it was successful until I had an artificial artery put in my left leg on 02/11. The vascular doctor wanted my urinary tract identified by my urologist and he installed a stent. This caused major issues! I went to a kidney specialist that did laparoscopic surgery twice, about five stents were installed, and I had kidney and urinary tract infections. Yesterday I had to go to the emergency room for chronic pain in my left kidney again. This has happened about fifteen times. I was not impressed with my doctor who had a very sour attitude and disposition. I changed doctors.

Comment from: DNK, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 23

I had severe pain in my groin and right kidney area, followed by vomiting. I had some relief afterward. I went to the doctor, had an abdominal scan, and the report says I have a mild degree of hydronephrosis of the right kidney.

Take the Kidney Disease Quiz