Patient Comments: Hydrocele - Treatment

What was the treatment for your child's hydrocele? Was surgery required? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: donastl, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 25

This is in regard to my son, born in 1974, with large hydrocele. We were subsequently advised that one testis had atrophied, and surgical intervention was advised at 7 years of age. This was done, and he subsequently had 3 children. However, I was given injections during this pregnancy, in 1974, and as a DES (diethylstilbestrol) exposed mother I am concerned that my son was exposed to DES, as different reports have DES pulled in 1971, some others say 1975. Unsure of what to advise my son.

Comment from: kunal, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 22

My 18 month son has a hydrocele from the birth, we consulted with a pediatric surgeon, and he advised us to wait till the baby's age is 2 years.

Comment from: 0-2 Male Published: August 28

This is my godson he is having laser surgery next week.

Comment from: HOPE, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 21

An ultrasound was performed and a small left hydrocele was found with no evidence of testicular torsion. No specific cause for this problem was found; however, an antibiotic was prescribed to treat a possible infection. Swelling and pain went away after treatment.

Quiz: Your Baby's First Year!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Pregnancy & Newborns Newsletter