The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs of HIV infection include fatigue, enlarged lymph glands, and recurrent vaginal yeast infections. Highly active antiretroviral therapy (ART) is the standard treatment for HIV infection. Read more: Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
STD Diagnosis, Images, Symptoms, Treatment
Learn about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including symptoms, signs, diagnosis, and treatment options. Get more...
Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains
What is dementia? Learn about dementia disorders such as Lewy Body Dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), Vascular (multi-infarct)...
Alcohol Abuse: 12 Health Risks of Chronic Heavy Drinking
Read about the health risks of chronic heavy or binge drinking. Anemia, cancer, gout, cardiovascular disease and many more...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
HIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
What is HIV AIDS (human immunodeficiency virus-acquired immunodeficiency syndrome)? Discover myths and facts about living with...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
HIV & AIDS Quiz: HIV Testing & Symptoms
Now, more than ever, you should know about HIV/AIDS, especially its causes, symptoms treatments, and complications. Take the...
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Picture of HIV/AIDS
Acronym for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). See a picture of HIV/AIDS...
Picture of HIV Lipodystrophy
HIV lipodystrophy describes a constellation of changes in subcutaneous and visceral fat distribution in patients on...
Picture of HIV Lipodystrophy Treatment
HIV lipodystrophy describes a constellation of changes in subcutaneous and visceral fat distribution in patients on...
Picture of HIV-associated Dementia (HAD)
A 40-year-old woman diagnosed with HIV presented with confusion and decline in memory. See a picture of HIV-associated Dementia...
Picture of Kaposi's Sarcoma Ecchymotic
Ecchymotic purple-brownish macule and a 1-cm nodule on the dorsum of the hand of a 65-year-old male of Ashkenazi-Jewish...
A Timeline of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic
Get a historical overview of the HIV/AIDS pandemic from human contraction to the present through this slideshow of pictures....
Related Disease Conditions
Cellulitis is an acute spreading bacterial infection below the surface of the skin characterized by redness, warmth,...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments)
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Genital Herpes in Women (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Symptoms of genital herpes...
Sore throats are generally described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by: bacterial...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Thrush (Oral Candidiasis)
Thrush is an infection of the mouth caused by the Candida fungus. Symptoms of Thrush include pain or difficulty swallowing, a...
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus that is spread from person to person via spit, semen, vaginal secretions, urine, blood, sexual...
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system, a vital part of the body's immune system. Symptoms and signs include...
Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. The causes of pericarditis include injury from...
Mycobacterium tuberculosis is the bacterium that causes tuberculosis (TB). Symptoms and signs of TB include bloody sputum, fever,...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Low Testosterone (Low T)
Low testosterone (low-T) can be caused by conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, liver or kidney disease, hormonal...
Encephalopathy means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. Causes of encephalopathy are varied and numerous. The main symptom of...
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Gum disease is caused by plaque and may result in tooth loss without proper treatment. Symptoms and signs of gum disease...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
HPV (Human Papillomavirus Infection)
HPVs or human papillomaviruses are a group of viral infections of the skin and mucous membranes. Certain high-risk types of HPV...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Hemophilia is defined as one of a group of inherited bleeding disorders. Hemophilia A and hemophilia B are inherited in an...
Neuropathic pain is a chronic condition that leads to ongoing pain symptoms. Patients can be predisposed to developing...
Herpes Viral Infections of the Eye
Herpes of the eye occurs due to herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1). Symptoms of herpes of the eye include pain in and around the eye,...
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Optic neuritis is inflammation of the optic nerve, the structure that connects the eye to the brain. The precise cause of optic...
Reactive arthritis is a chronic, systemic rheumatic disease characterized by three conditions, including conjunctivitis, joint...
Toxoplasmosis (toxo) is a parasitic infection that causes flulike symptoms, swollen lymph nodes, and muscle aches and pains that...
HIV and AIDS
Second Source article from WebMD...
Teen Drug Abuse
Drugs commonly abused by teens include tobacco products, marijuana, cold medications, inhalants, depressants, stimulants,...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Dry eyes are caused by an imbalance in the tear-flow system of the eye, but also can be caused by the drying out of the tear...
Is Thrush Contagious?
Thrush is a fungal infection caused by Candida albicans. An infant with thrush can infect his/her mother with thrush during...
Cryptosporidiosis is an intestinal disease caused by the Cryptosporidium parasite. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, stomach...
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
Cryptococcosis is an infection caused by the Cryptococcus fungus. Cryptococcus is spread through inhalation of airborne fungi....
Antiphospholipid syndrome (phospholipid antibody syndrome or Hughes syndrome) is an immune system disorder with symptoms that...
Fungal meningitis is a rare disease that is not contagious. Symptoms include fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, and vomiting....
Fungal arthritis is inflammation of a joint by a fungus that has invaded the body and is growing in the normally sterile joint....
Breastfeeding (and Formula Feeding)
It's important to know whether you will breastfeed or bottle-feed your baby prior to delivery, as the breasts' ability to produce...
Leukoplakia is a white or gray patch that develops on the tongue or inside the cheek. Causes of Leukoplakia may include...
Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system with symptoms that include unexplained, recurring fevers, unexplained...
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Leishmaniasis is a disease caused by the bite of an infected sand fly. The most common types of leishmania infection are...
Cocaine and Crack Abuse
Cocaine is an addictive stimulant that is smoked, snorted, and injected. Crack is cocaine that comes in a rock crystal that is...
Antibiotic Resistance (Drug Resistance, Antimicrobial Resistance)
Drug resistance (antimicrobial resistance) is the ability of bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses to grow, even in the...
Castleman Disease is a group of related conditions. It is a rare disease with an unknown prevalence. Signs and symptoms of...
Hospice is a service that offers support, resources, and assistance to terminally ill patients and their families. In such late...
Hepatitis C Cure (Symptoms, Transmission, Treatments, and Cost)
Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver. There are a variety of toxins, diseases, illicit drugs, medications, bacterial and viral...
Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their...
HIV vs. AIDS
Human immunodeficiency virus causes HIV infection. Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a condition that results after...
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Reproductive health encompasses the beginning of menstruation for women, choosing the right birth control method for you and your...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Treating the Flu in People with Health Risks
Certain portions of the population are at an increased risk of suffering serious complications from the flu. Some of these...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Pain Management: Neuropathic Pain
Neuropathic pain is chronic pain resulting from injury to the nervous system. The injury can be to the central nervous system...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV, AIDS) - Symptoms
What symptoms have you experienced with your HIV infection?Post View 2 Comments
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) - Risk Factors and Transmission
If known, please share how you contracted HIV.Post View 3 Comments
HIV - Treatment
Please describe your HIV treatment(s) and medication(s).Post
HIV - Prevention
In what ways do you actively prevent HIV transmission?Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Infectious Disease Specialist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Hand and Finger Numbness
- Tingling in Hands and Feet
- Mouth Sores
- Joint Pain
- Weight Loss
- Painful Gums
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Enlarged Heart
- Altered Mental Status
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)
- Memory Loss
- Proteinuria (Protein in the Urine)
- HIV Infection
- Bleeding Gums
- Unusual Behavior
- Catatonia (Catatonic Behavior)
- Sore Throat (Pharyngitis)
- Inability to Regulate Emotions
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Decreased Appetite
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Hairy Tongue
- Blood in Semen
- Advance Medical Directives
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Low Testosterone (Low T)
- Questions To Ask Your Doctor - HIV
- STD FAQs
- HIV-AIDS FAQs
- HIV Infection Facts, History, Causes, and Risk Factors
- HIV Treatment, Medications, Prognosis, and Prevention
- Grapefruit Juice and Drug Interactions
- HIV Tests, Symptoms, Signs, and Stages of Infection
- What Is Norwegian Scabies?
- Things You Should Know About the Penis
- Cat Scratch: What Is Cat Scratch Disease?
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Unprotected Sex Between HIV-Infected Partners: What's the Harm?
- Baby "Cured" of HIV Infection
- Annual Physical Exam
- The Broad Spectrum of Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Disease
- Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections Conf. 2/2006
- Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections Part II
- Retrovirus & Opportunistic Infections Part II
- Retrovirus & Opportunistic Infections
- HIV/AIDS Conference Highlights July 27 2005
- HIV/AIDS Conference Highlights July 26 2005
- HIV / AIDS Conference Update 2005 - Index
- HIV/AIDS Conference Highlights July 25 2005
- Generic AIDS Drug Effective - And Now?
- Babies On The Breast Of HIV Moms
- TB Vaccine Goes on Trial
- HIV Treatment - To Interrupt or Not
- HIV: Two Patients Face The Diagnosis
- Antiretroviral Therapy - Guidelines
- HIV Transmission and Progression to AIDS Continues
- Circumcise Or Not? - The Matter of AIDS
- HIV Urine Test Approved
- Physical and Biochemical Changes in HIV Disease
Medications & Supplements
- zidovudine (azt) - oral, Retrovir
- saquinavir - oral, Invirase
- sildenafil (erectile dysfunction) - oral, Viagra
- abacavir/lamivudine/zidovudine - oral, Trizivir
- ritonavir - oral, Norvir
- lamivudine/zidovudine - oral, Combivir
- ritonavir solution - oral, Norvir
- delavirdine 100 mg dispersible tablet - oral, Rescriptor
- didanosine delayed-release - oral, Videx EC
- valacyclovir - oral, Valtrex
- didanosine (ddi) solution - oral, Videx
- nelfinavir - oral, Viracept
- lopinavir/ritonavir solution - oral, Kaletra
- nelfinavir powder - oral, Viracept
- lopinavir/ritonavir - oral
- atazanavir - oral, Reyataz
- stavudine capsule - oral, Zerit
- erythromycin base gel - topical, A/T/S, Emgel, Erygel
- stavudine solution - oral, Zerit
- nevirapine - oral, Viramune
- lamivudine solution - oral, Epivir
- abacavir - oral, Ziagen
- delavirdine 200 mg tablet - oral, Rescriptor
- lamivudine - oral, Epivir
- tadalafil (erectile dysfunction) - oral, Cialis
- indinavir capsule - oral, Crixivan
- efavirenz - oral, Sustiva
- vardenafil - oral, Levitra
- sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, Bactrim, Bactrim DS
- Anabolic Steroids (Oral Androgens)
- dronabinol (Marinol, THC)
- dapsone - oral
- atovaquone suspension - oral, Mepron
- azelastine drops - ophthalmic, Optivar
- megestrol, Megace, Megace ES
- rifabutin - oral, Mycobutin
- tenofovir - oral, Viread
- Protease Inhibitors (PI Drug Class)
- ganciclovir - injection, Cytovene
- cidofovir - injection, Vistide
- efavirenz, Sustiva
- lamivudine (3tc) (Epivir; Epivir HBV)
- Combivir (lamivudine and zidovudine)
- lopinavir and ritonavir, Kaletra
- Retrovir (zidovudine, ZDV, formerly called AZT)
- ritonavir, Norvir
- abacavir, Ziagen
- emtricitabine/tenofovir - oral, Truvada
- indinavir, Crixivan
- atazanavir, Reyataz
- foscarnet sodium - injection, Foscavir
- zalcitabine, Hivid - discontinued
- abacavir/lamivudine - oral, Epzicom
- amprenavir, Agenerase
- raltegravir (Isentress)
- saquinavir, Invirase (Fortovase - discontinued)
- delavirdine, Rescriptor
- enfuvirtide - injection, Fuzeon
- didanosine, Videx, Videx EC
- nevirapine, Viramune, Viramune XR
- abacavir, lamivudine, zidovudine, Trizivir
- stavudine, Zerit
- nelfinavir, Viracept
- darunavir, TMC-114; Prezista
- etravirine, Intelence
- tipranavir, Aptivus
- enfuvirtide, T-20; Fuzeon
- maraviroc, Selzentry
- fosamprenavir - oral, Lexiva
- emtricitabine - oral, Emtriva
- Intron A
- Viramune XR
- Retrovir IV
- Videx EC
- Kaletra Capsules
- Intron A Rebetol
- Megace ES
- Kaletra Tablets
Prevention & Wellness
- California Reduces Penalty for Intentional Exposure to HIV
- Fighting HIV on Multiple Fronts Might Lead to Vaccine
- HIV and Smoking a Lethal Combo for the Lungs
- Drug Helped Protect Gay Teen Males From HIV
- Insurer Aetna's Envelopes Revealed Customers' HIV Status
- Bacteria May Explain Why Uncircumcised Face Higher HIV Risk
- HIV Treatment Protects Uninfected Partner From the Virus
- African Boy Achieves HIV Remission Without Drugs
- Meds by Monthly Injection Might Revolutionize HIV Care
- Could a Monetary Perk Help Keep HIV Patients on Their Meds?
- 6 Experts Resign from President's HIV/AIDS Advisory Panel in Protest
- Americans With HIV Staying on Lifesaving Meds Longer
- 'Cancer Profile' Is Changing for Americans With HIV
- Health Risks Grow as Young People Born With HIV Age
- U.S. Sees Big Drop in Number of Babies Born With HIV
- 'Immunotherapy' in Monkeys Shows Promise as Long-Term HIV Treatment
- Large Decrease in HIV Infections in U.S.
- Gay Men Less Likely to Have Safe Sex Now: Survey
- Black Americans Still Undertreated for HIV
- Gay Man Infected With HIV Despite Using Preventive Drugs
- Many With Mental Illness Miss Out on HIV Tests
- Can HIV Drugs Boost Syphilis Risk?
- HIV May Double Odds of Heart Attack
- Doctors Seeing More HIV Patients With Multidrug Resistance
- Students Make Martin Shkreli's Drug for $2 a Pill
- Drug Combo Shows Early Promise for Remission of HIV
- Antibodies May Hold Key to HIV Suppression
- Experimental Medicine Might Rescue People With Drug-Resistant HIV
- Study Discounts Myth of 'Patient Zero' in U.S. AIDS Crisis
- HIV May Hide in Tissues, Even After Treatment
- Serious Infections Tied to Suicide Risk
- Opioids by Injection May Drive HIV Outbreaks
- Monthly Vaginal Ring May Help Protect Against HIV
- Mixed Progress in Worldwide Fight Against HIV/AIDS
- Cash Rewards Won't Change Outcomes for HIV-Infected Drug Addicts: Study
- How Safe Is Condomless Sex When Partner With HIV Takes Meds?
- Do More to Fight HIV in Africa: Study
- Stigma Prolongs Global HIV Epidemic Among Gays
- Stem Cell Transplant Can Help HIV Patients Battling Lymphoma: Study
- HIV Infection Seems to Affect Nervous System
- High HIV Rates for Gay Men in Some Southern Cities
- HIV Patients Less Likely to Get Treatment for Cancer: Study
- HIV Decline Falls Short of U.S. 5-Year Goal
- Antibody Shot Protects Monkeys From HIV-Like Infection
- People With HIV May Age Faster, Study Suggests
- HIV Patients Now Living Long Enough to Develop Alzheimer's
- Doctors Report Groundbreaking HIV-to-HIV Organ Transplants
- Work With Monkeys May Benefit HIV Babies
- In Monkeys, Therapy Flushes HIV-Like Virus From Its Hiding Places
- Prenatal Use of HIV Drug May Slow Child's Development Slightly
- Half of Gay Black Men May Become Infected With HIV, CDC Says
- Vaginal Ring Offers Some Protection Against HIV, Study Says
- Alcohol More Harmful for People With HIV, Study Suggests
- Scientists Piggyback Experimental HIV Vaccine on Cold Viruses
- Resistance to HIV Drug Growing, Study Finds
- HIV Can Persist in Body Despite Drug Therapy
- New Approach Might Boost HIV Testing Rates
- Three Moves Could Cut New HIV Cases Dramatically: Study
- New HIV Treatment Shows Promise in Early Research
- Not Enough Needle Exchange Programs Outside Cities: Study
- CDC: Too Few Schools Teach Prevention of HIV, STDs, Pregnancy
- HIV Rates Fall, But Not All Groups Benefit, U.S. Study Finds
- Risky Sexual Behaviors Put Many Young Gay Men at Risk of HIV: Study
- Screen All Kids for Cholesterol, Depression and HIV, Pediatricians' Group Says
- HIV Prevention Pill May Not Need to Be Taken Daily
- More Could Benefit from HIV Prevention Pill Truvada
- Charlie Sheen: I'm HIV-Positive
- Churches a Good Place for HIV Testing, Treatment in Africa
- HIV Therapy May Also Lower Risk for Hepatitis B, Study Says
- Low-Income HIV Patients May Be Doing Better on Obamacare
- As HIV Patients Live Longer, Certain Cancer Risks Rise: Study
- Almost Half of American Adults With HIV Don't Take Meds: Report
- More Evidence Daily Pill Can Prevent HIV Transmission
- Needle-Exchange Program Curbed HIV Spread, Study Finds
- Only 1 in 5 Gay Teen Boys Get HIV Test
- HIV Cells Keep Duplicating Even When Treatments Are Working: Study
- Test to Differentiate HIV Viruses Approved
- Genes May Be Key to a Better HIV Vaccine, Study Says
- Many U.S. AIDS Patients Still Die When 'Opportunistic' Infections Strike
- Sequence of Shots May Lead to Effective HIV Vaccine, Mouse Study Finds
- 1 in 5 Younger Americans Tested for HIV
- Global Trial Finds HIV Drugs Should Be Taken Right After Diagnosis
- Hundreds With HIV Could Donate Organs to Others With HIV: Study
- Drug-Related HIV Outbreak Spurs Nationwide Alert
- Antibody Holds Promise as Weapon Against HIV
- HIV-Infected People Often Do Well After Kidney Transplant
- HIV Can Damage Brain Early On, Study Says
- HIV Patients May Fare as Well as Others With Kidney Transplants
- Herpes Drug Might Help Control Spread of HIV, Too
- Half of Known Strains of HIV Originated in Gorillas
- Taking Pill Before, After Sex Cuts HIV Infection for Gay Men: Study
- Most HIV Infections Come From Undiagnosed or Untreated People: Study
- Some HIV Strains Cause Early Damage to Immune System, Study Finds
- Doctors Pinpoint Why Child Who Appeared Free of HIV Suffered Relapse
- Kidneys From HIV Donors May Be OK for HIV Patients, Study Finds
- Blacks Account for More Than Half of New HIV Diagnoses: CDC
- Smartphone Device Detects HIV, Syphilis
- Depo-Provera Linked to Higher HIV Risk, Researchers Find
- Health Tip: Have Your Child's Eyes Checked
- HIV Tied to Worse Hearing in Older Adults
- Hepatitis C Infection Isn't Related to HIV Brain Woes: Study
- FDA to Lift Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- Is HIV Becoming Less Contagious?
- Most Americans With HIV Don't Have Virus Under Control, CDC Says
- Peers Best at Convincing High-Risk Individuals to Get HIV Test: Study
- Common Childhood Vaccine Cuts 'Superbug' Infection: Study
- U.S. Troops Arrive in Ebola-Ravaged Liberia
- Less Than Half of HIV-Positive U.S. Hispanics Are Getting Proper Care
- HIV May Have Emerged in Congo in 1920s: Study
- 2nd Baby 'Cured' of HIV Suffers Relapse
- Half of HIV-Positive Gay Men in U.S. Aren't Getting Proper Treatment
- California Trees Harbor Fungus Deadly to People With HIV
- People With HIV May Be at Lower Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Bacteria in Semen May Affect HIV Transmission, Levels: Study
- HIV Meds May Also Help Control Hepatitis C, Study Finds
- New HIV Guidelines Released by WHO
- Animal Experiments Shed Light on HIV's Ability to Hide
- Scientists Snipped HIV Out of Human DNA
- HIV Diagnoses Down in U.S., Except for Young Gay Males: CDC
- Those With HIV Living Longer, International Study Finds
- Many Sexually Active U.S. Teens Not Tested for HIV: CDC
- AIDS Epidemic May Be Subsiding: Report
- Mississippi Girl Thought Cured of HIV Shows Signs of Infection
- Study: Common HIV Drug May Boost Suicide Risk
- HIV Prevention Drug Truvada Might Lower Genital Herpes Risk, Too
- HIV Patients Less Likely to Get Cancer Treatment: Study
- Many Unaware of Their HIV Status Until It's Advanced
- Kids More Likely Than Adults To Be Resistant to HIV Meds: Study
- CDC Urges Anti-HIV Pill for People at High Risk of Infection
- Alcohol Fuels Liver Disease in Those With HIV and Hepatitis C
- Slightly Higher Risk of Birth Defects Seen in Pregnant Women on HIV Drugs
- Driving Ability May Falter With Age in HIV-Positive Adults
- HIV-Positive Inmates Benefit From Drug Treatment, Study Says
- Study Adds to Signs Linking HIV to Heart Trouble
- Hepatitis C Patients With HIV May Face Higher Risk of Liver Disease
- HIV Transmission Between Women Rare, But Possible: CDC
- Vaginal Gel Might Prevent HIV Hours After Exposure
- Doctors Cautiously Optimistic About 'Cure' for HIV-Infected Babies
- Gene Therapy for Controlling HIV Shows Early Promise
- Long-Acting HIV Drug May Offer Better Protection Against Infection
- Kids Born With HIV May Face Heart Risks Later, Study Suggests
- Higher HIV Infection Rates Seen in Mental Health Patients: Study
- Only 1 in 3 HIV-Infected Black Americans Gets Effective Treatment: Study
- Many Young Americans With HIV Delay Treatment: Study
- Mother-Daughter Team Preaches the Gospel of HIV Prevention
- Taking Drug to Prevent HIV Doesn't Seem to Encourage Risk-Taking
- New HIV Strain May Move to AIDS More Quickly: Study
- New Clues to How Long-Term Drug Therapy Keeps HIV at Bay
- Talking Openly With Partner Linked to HIV Testing in Teens
- Multivitamins May Help Fight HIV Progression, Study Suggests
- Bisexual Men Aren't at Greater HIV Risk: Review
- HIV Resistance Mapped by Gene Researchers
- Early HIV Treatment a Win-Win, Researchers Report
- Child 'Cured' of HIV Remains Free of Virus, Doctors Report
- Counseling With HIV Testing May Not Help Prevent Future STDs
- Scientists Uncover Breast Milk's Potential Secret Weapon Against HIV
- Immune Protein Found to Block HIV Spread in Some People
- Meds That Prevent HIV Infection Don't Spur Risky Behavior: Study
- Nail Fungus Drug Might Help Against HIV, Study Suggests
- For Uninfected Partner, Antiretroviral Drugs May Shield Against HIV
- Early Course of HIV Therapy May Give Infants a Break From Drugs
- HIV Patients Get a Mental Lift From Exercise, Study Finds
- New Drug Approved to Treat HIV-1
- Rapid Test Detects HIV-1 and HIV-2 Antibodies and HIV-1 Antigen
- Survival Picture No Better for Patients With HIV-Related Lymphoma: Study
- Scientists Use HIV to 'Cure' 2 Rare Genetic Diseases
- Women With HIV May Suffer More From Hot Flashes
- No Trace of HIV After Stem-Cell Transplants, Researchers Say
- Many Young Americans Unaware They're Infected With HIV
- Medicine Might Help Shield Injection Drug Abusers From HIV
- HIV No Barrier to Getting Liver Transplant, Study Finds
- HIV 'Cure' Looks 'Promising,' Danish Scientists Contend
- New Guidelines Suggest HIV Screening for All Adults
- HIV Drugs May Help Protect Young Patients' Hearts: Study
- Study May Explain How Circumcision Reduces HIV Risk
- 'Sharps' Injuries Pose Serious Hazard for Surgeons, O.R. Staff
- Could Self-Testing Help Overcome HIV/AIDS Epidemic?
- CDC: 1 in 50 Poor, Straight Urban Americans Infected With HIV
- HIV May Raise Risk of Heart Attack
- Researchers Describe 1st 'Functional Cure' of HIV in Baby
- U.S. AIDS-Relief Plan a Success, Report Finds
- Certain Skin Cancers More Common in HIV-Positive People
- HIV-Like Virus Arose in Primates Millions of Years Ago, Scientists Say
- Docs' 'Cultural Competence' May Boost HIV Care
- Study Pinpoints Optimal Treatment Window for HIV
- Stem Cell Technology May Help Rejuvenate Immune Cells
- Fulyzaq Approved for Diarrhea in People With HIV/AIDS
- Rate of New HIV Infections Drops for First Time Among Black Women: CDC
- Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself: Study
- Kids With HIV at Risk of Heart Disease, Study Says
- Anti-HIV Drugs May Curb Transmission to Uninfected Partner: Study
- New HIV Infections Highest Among Urban Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC
- Surprise HIV Diagnosis Becomes Life-Changing Moment
- Among Black Americans, HIV Takes a Greater Toll
- U.S. Draws Blueprint for an AIDS-Free Generation
- HIV Drug Combo May Help Prevent Malaria Reinfection
- HIV Hits 1,000 Young Americans Each Month
- AIDS Deaths, New HIV Infections Continue to Drop Worldwide
- U.S. Task Force Backs HIV Screening for All 15 to 65
- Black Women With Both HIV, Hep C Less Likely to Die From Liver Disease
- Less Frequent Pap Tests Safe for Most Women, Ob/Gyn Group Says
- Blood Infections in ICU Cut With Simple Measures: Study
- New Vaccine Strategy May Fight Genital Herpes, Mouse Study Suggests
- Multivitamins Won't Boost Standard HIV Care, Study Finds
- Vaginal Ring Delivers HIV Drug in Animal Study
- HIV Diagnoses Among U.S. Hispanics Vary By Region: CDC
- Despite Huge HIV Treatment Gains, Many Left Out
- Scientists Probe How Some HIV Patients Resist AIDS
- Improved HIV Care Boosts Life Expectancy at Clinic, Study Found
- Declining Funding May Cause U.N. to Fall Short of Health Goals
- Missed Dose? Truvada Still Prevents HIV in Men
- More Americans Get Effective HIV Treatment, Study Says
- Treated Vaginal Ring Prevents HIV in Monkeys
- FDA Approves New Once-a-Day HIV Pill
- New Policy Supports Choice for Male Circumcision
- New Immune-Deficiency Illness Emerging in East Asia
- Breast-Milk Compound May Shield Babies From HIV
- High-Risk Heterosexuals Should Take HIV Prevention Pill, Too
- New Clues to How HIV Infects Body's Cells
- Only 1 in 4 Americans With HIV Has Virus Under Control: CDC
- Cancer Drug May Flush Out 'Hidden' HIV: Study
- Man Cured of AIDS Virus: First U.S. News Conference
- Black American Men Have High Rates of HIV Infection: Study
- HIV Diagnosis Calls for Immediate Treatment
- AIDS Cure Possible, Top Scientists Say
- Mom's HIV Drugs May Pass to Baby in Womb, Breast-Feeding
- Not All HIV Patients in U.S. Show Same Characteristics: Study
- Decisions About Condom Use Among Gay Couples Vary by Race
- Women With HIV May Not Have Higher Cervical Cancer Risk: Study
- Biology Leaves Gay Men Highly Vulnerable to HIV: Study
- Mouse With Human-Like Immune System Could Advance AIDS Research
- Infection With 2 HIV Strains Slows Disease Progression
- Ahead of AIDS Conference, New Reasons for Hope
- FDA Approves First Drug for HIV Prevention
- HIV Drug May Prevent Bone Marrow Transplant Complication
- Studies Show Value of AIDS Drugs as Prevention
- First Over-the-Counter HIV Test Approved
- Wednesday Is National HIV Testing Day
- Bacterial Vaginosis Increases Female-to-Male HIV Transmission Risk
- Surgeons Seek Repeal of Transplant Ban Between HIV-Positive People
- Young Men Taking HIV Meds May Be at Risk for Bone Loss
- HIV Exposure Before Birth May Raise Kids' Risk of Hearing Loss
- Human Breast Milk May Block HIV, Mouse Study Finds
- Study Digs Into Secrets of Keeping HIV in Check
- Taking Anti-HIV Meds Prior to Exposure May Help Prevent Infection
- U.S. Assistance to Africa Cut AIDS-Related Deaths: Study
- People With HIV at Higher Odds of Sudden Cardiac Death
- FDA Panel to Consider At-Home HIV Test
- FDA Seems to Back Pill to Help Prevent HIV
- HIV Drug Tenofovir Safe During Pregnancy, Study Suggests
- Study: Gene Therapy for HIV Safe, But Effectiveness Still Unclear
- Health Highlights: May 1, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 27, 2012
- Children Usually Excluded From Clinical Drug Trials: Study
- HIV Raises Anal Cancer Risk in Women, Study Says
- HIV Prevention Pill Cost-Effective for High-Risk Men: Study
- From a Failed Vaccine, New Insights Into Fighting HIV
- Early, Temporary HIV Treatment Can Postpone Long-Term Therapy
- Health Highlights: March 13, 2012
- Health Highlights: March 12, 2012
- One in Four HIV Patients Has Long Gaps Between Doctor's Visits: Study
- Health Highlights: March 6, 2012
- Hepatitis C Now Kills More Americans Than HIV
- Findings on HIV-Resistant Sex Workers May Help Vaccine Efforts
- Wider Waistlines Linked to Memory Problems in HIV Patients
- HIV Severity, Treatment Unrelated to Kids' Mental Woes: Study
- Many Gay Men Would Support 'Home HIV Test': Study
- Study Looks at Possible HIV Drugs-Birth Defect Link
- Pets Help Women Cope With HIV/AIDS
- New Guidelines Issued for Combining HIV, Seizure Meds
- Drug Users With HIV at Much Higher Overdose Risk
- Experts Urge Limits on Medical Research on Chimpanzees
- Headaches May Plague Many With HIV/AIDS
- Too Much Alcohol Linked to Unsafe Sex, Study Confirms
- Despite Advances, HIV/AIDS Still Takes Heavy Emotional Toll
- Most Americans With HIV Don't Have Infection Under Control
- Higher Cancer Risk in People With HIV
- 2011: Turning Point in World AIDS Pandemic?
- U.S. Man Diagnosed With HIV Develops Leprosy
- Americans Living Longer, Healthier Lives
- Listeria Prompts Romaine Lettuce Recall
- Shark-Derived Drug May Treat Viruses
- Experimental Gene Therapy May Control HIV
- New Study May Aid Search for AIDS Vaccine
- Experts Concerned About Rising HIV Rates Among Poor, Minorities
- FDA Approves Once-Daily HIV Pill Complera
- 50,000 New HIV Infections Each Year in U.S.
- No More Co-pay for Birth Control
- 'Explosion' of Sex-Spread Hepatitis C in HIV-Positive Men
- Panel: Drop Co-Pay for Women's Birth Control
- Antibody Finding Might Help in Search for HIV Vaccine
- CDC Cites Benefits of Expanded HIV Testing Program
- FDA Approves New HIV Drug Edurant
- Decade's Top 10 Public Health Achievements
- Study: Early Treatment Makes HIV Less Infectious
- Elizabeth Taylor Dies of Heart Failure
- HIV Care System Is Getting Swamped
- How to Use Pills to Prevent HIV
- Male Circumcision Cuts Women's Cervical Cancer Risk
- HIV/AIDS Cure? FAQ
- Gardasil HPV Vaccine Stopping Genital Warts
- HPV Vaccine: Cost-effective Way to Prevent Anal Cancer
- CDC: Binge Drinking 'Huge U.S. Health Problem'
- Kids on HIV Drug Cocktail May Need Revaccination
- Many HIV-Infected Kids Could Use Cheaper Treatment Safely
- HIV Virus May Hide in Brain
- HIV in Blood Different Than in Semen, Scientists Say
- HIV-Positive Women Who Want to Conceive Feel Stigma: Survey
- Poverty Driving HIV's Spread Among Urban Heterosexuals: Report
- Vaginal Gel May Prevent HIV
- Many False-Positive HIV Test Results for Those in AIDS Vaccine Trials
- 4 Things You Didn't Know About Oral Sex
- Happy, Healthy, Valentine!
- Dry Mouth
- Newly Diagnosed with HIV/AIDS
- Safe Sex for Grown-Ups
- Can Your Kitchen Pass the Food Safety Test?
- Links Between Oral and General Health
- Human Immune Deficiency Virus (HIV/AIDS) Specific References
- HIV, AIDS, and Older People
- FTC Charges Seasilver with Making False and Deceptive Claims
- Diseases from Animals -- Why Now?
- Drug Design Pioneer...Gertrude Elion
- Women and Body Image
- HIV and Tuberculosis - Facts
- AIDS & HIV...Forgotten, Not Gone from the World!
- AIDS & HIV...Maybe Forgotten, Not Gone from the USA!
- HIV-HIV/AIDS Statistics
- Flu Vaccine Shortage Alert
- Drug Abuse and Addiction: Drugs of Choice
- FluMist Nasal Vaccine
- Drug Abuse: How To Tell if Someone is Abusing Drugs
- FDA Approves a Once Daily Protease Inhibitor for HIV Infection
- HIV/AIDS - How Much Do You Know?
- Salmonella Enteritidis Infection (Egg Associated)
- HIV: The Truth About, New HIV Test
- HIV/AIDS Facts for Those Over 50
- Key Cutting Board Rules - Avoid Food Poisoning!
- Talking to Youth about HIV - Conversation Starters
- HIV/AIDS - Myth versus Reality
- Tips for Avoiding Food Contamination
- Rolf Zinkernagel - Who Is He?
- Miroslav Holub- Of Nude Mice and Men
- HIV/AIDS - World Trends
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter