Aching feet can come in the way of your work and make you lose your concentration while you are working. This is especially of more concern if you are involved in professions that more hours of standing, such as a nurse, factory worker, or chef.
Here are a few tips to stop your feet from hurting at work.
10 tips to relieve aching feet
- Take a warm foot bath by soaking your feet in a basin of warm water or a foot spa for 5 to 10 minutes. This is one of the easiest and most effective home remedies that work for short-term pain relief in most cases of foot pain.
- You can add Epsom salt to warm water (one to two tablespoons into a gallon of warm water). For swollen feet, cold water will work better.
- Take breaks in between working hours
- Both prolonged standing and sitting are bad for your feet. Do not stand for long, take sitting breaks in between. Slow down a little. Move around a little after every 45 minutes if you have a desk job.
- Wear properly-fitting shoes
- Your feet change their shape as you age and so you need to keep checking if your shoes fit you well. Tight-fitting footwear can lead to multiple problems of the feet that include heel pain, deformed toes, bunions, corns, and calluses.
- Make sure you own multiple pairs of shoes. Keep changing shoes throughout the day, so that the shoes do not wear out faster.
- Ditch your footwear with high heels
- Heels might look stylish but you end up hurting your feet by putting stress on your calf muscles and balls of your feet. Even if you want to wear high heels, prefer wearing wedged heels to stilettos.
- Wear arch supports
- Trim calluses and corns
- Calluses and corns can put pressure on the bottom of your foot. To get relief from them, soak your feet in warm water for a few minutes. Dry them and follow this by rubbing a pumice stone or emery board on the hard spots. Apply moisturizing lotion and wear socks to lock in the moisture.
- Take care while trimming toenails
- Stay hydrated
- Keep your weight under check
- Excess weight puts extra pressure on your feet and can cause aching feet. Even a gain of 20 pounds can increase your risk of developing foot pain. Hence, if you think you are gaining weight more than required for your height, resort to healthy diet practices and exercise to maintain a healthy weight.
- If walking and other activities make your feet hurt more, try a low-impact activity, such as swimming. You can talk to a podiatrist who will suggest footwear to wear during moderate to high-impact exercises.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Leifer M. 7 Ways to Prevent Foot Pain. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/how-keep-feet-from-aching
Harvard Health Publishing. When walking makes your legs hurt. https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/when-walking-makes-your-legs-hurt
Top How To Make Your Feet Stop Hurting While Working Related Articles
Broken FootBroken bones in the foot are a common injury. Symptoms include pain, swelling, redness, bruising, and limping on the affected foot. Learn about treatment and recovery time.
Feet Facts QuizDid you know that certain shoes and common diseases can wreak havoc on your feet? If you've been having problems with your feet, this quiz is for you.
Flatfoot (Pes Planus)Flatfoot is a disorder in which the foot's entire sole is touching the ground while standing. Symptoms and signs of flatfoot include heel, ankle, knee, hip, and lower back pain and shin splints. Treatment depends upon the type of flatfoot, the symptoms, and the stage of the disorder.
Reasons You Feel Burning in Your FeetThe feeling of burning in your feet isn't just an annoyance. It might also be a sign of a more serious condition. Find out more about what can make your feet burn.
Foot PainFoot pain may be caused by injuries (sprains, strains, bruises, and fractures), diseases (diabetes, Hansen disease, and gout), viruses, fungi, and bacteria (plantar warts and athlete's foot), or even ingrown toenails. Pain and tenderness may be accompanied by joint looseness, swelling, weakness, discoloration, and loss of function. Minor foot pain can usually be treated with rest, ice, compression, and elevation and OTC medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Severe pain should be treated by a medical professional.
Foot PictureThe end of the leg on which a person normally stands and walks. See a picture of Foot Anatomy and learn more about the health topic.
Toenail Color HealthWhat can the color of your toenails tell you about your health? Watch for these shades to know if you need to talk to your doctor.
How Do You Get Rid of a Corn On Your Foot?Learn what medical treatments can help ease the corn on your foot and speed up your recovery.
How Do You Get Rid of a Ganglion Cyst on Your Foot?What are ganglion cysts, and how can you get rid of them? Learn about treatments, home remedies, and when surgery may be needed.
How Do You Treat Tendonitis in the Foot?Learn what medical treatments can help ease your symptoms of tendonitis in the foot and help you manage tendonitis in the foot. Tendonitis occurs when a tendon becomes inflamed and causes pain from repetitive movement. Learn the types of tendonitis, how it happens, and how to treat it.
Swollen Ankles and Swollen FeetSwollen ankles and swollen feet is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition such as edema, medications, pregnancy, injuries, diseases, infections, lymphedema, or blood clots.
What Are the 10 Steps in a Foot Spa Treatment?Learn the 10 steps required in a foot spa treatment to help your feet heal from the stress of everyday life.
17 Things That Can Go Wrong With Your Feet As You AgeWhat can go wrong with your feet as you age? Surprisingly, much. Here’s what you can expect, and what to do about it.
What Causes Blisters on Your Feet?What are foot blisters and what causes them? Learn about the types of foot blisters, what causes them, and how to treat them.
What Is Reconstructive Foot Surgery?Foot reconstruction is a surgery performed to correct the anatomy of the foot and restore function lost due to trauma, birth defects, infection and other illnesses. Foot reconstruction considers the tissue reconstruction, function restoration, cosmetic rehabilitation and whether the foot can or should be saved by reconstructing. Severe foot conditions often require long-term care and rehabilitation. Many foot injuries result from motor vehicle or work-related accidents.
Worst Shoes SlideshowStilettos, platforms or flip-flops...which are the worst shoes for your feet? See how some of the hottest styles can be torture on your feet, learn how damage and foot pain can occur, and discover how to stop foot pain.