Hair fall and damage can occur due to various reasons, such as genetics, hormones (such as hypothyroidism or during pregnancy), medications (cancer medication), dietary deficiencies, and other medical illnesses (stress or autoimmune diseases). If there is hair fall or hair damage associated with a nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements and several natural remedies can help in hair growth or regrowth, making hair longer and thicker. However, they do not produce results overnight, it usually takes a long time (1-5 years) to see results. Normally, hair grows only half an inch a month, so even after taking supplements, it would take 5-6 years for a new strand of hair to reach shoulder length from the scalp. However, there are several other changes in the hair that can be seen after a few months of following natural remedies and taking supplements. After a few months, the oil glands on the scalp get reactivated, which moisturizes and nourishes the scalp and hair. The hair starts to appear shinier, moisturized, and healthier. The hair may not be as brittle as it used to be, reducing hair breakage. One may consider consulting a dermatologist as well. A dermatologist can help diagnose the cause of hair fall, damage, and breaking, as well as suggest medication and/or specialized treatments.
5 Home remedies for long hair
1. Applying natural oils:
Several oils can help in hair growth, make hair thicker, and improve the texture of hair. They include
- Castor oil: Castor oil is rich in Vitamin E that improves hair health, hair growth, and thickens the hair. Applying castor oil evenly to the scalp and hair and washing it off after 30 to 60 minutes once or twice a week can help.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is rich in omega-3 acids, which promotes hair growth and makes the hair appear smooth and shiny. Applying olive oil evenly to the scalp and hair and washing it off after 30 to 60 minutes once or twice a week can help.
Both the oils may be mixed with other oils, such as coconut oil, and almond oil, and applied together.
2. Homemade hair masks:
Eggs are rich in protein essential for healthy hair. A hair mask may be made by beating one or two eggs, which may be applied on the scalp of damped hair and left on for 30 minutes. The mask can be washed off with shampoo. Bananas are rich in minerals that help in building collagen and make the hair thicker, stronger, and softer. A mask can be made by mashing a ripe banana with 2 tablespoons of olive oil (egg may be added to this mixture as well) and applied all over the scalp and hair. The mask can be washed off with shampoo after 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Trimming the hair regularly:
Having frayed, split ends make the hair appear thin and unhealthy, and prevent the hair from growing past a point. Cutting off a 0.8 to 1 inch of the hair every 10 to 12 days can prevent or get rid of split ends, helping the hair grow faster and appear healthy.
4. Hair growth nutrients:
Some important nutrients that should be a part of the diet or maybe taken as supplements to help in hair growth and improve hair texture include:
- Vitamin A helps form sebum, which is required to keep the scalp and skin conditioned and healthy. A decrease in sebum due to Vitamin A deficiency makes the scalp become dry, irritated, itchy, and flaky. It also causes the hair to become dry and brittle. Vitamin A is found in orange or yellow vegetables like carrots.
- Vitamin E nourishes the skin, nails, and hair and protects the skin and hair from sun damage. Vitamin E is rich in plant-based oils, seeds, nuts, fruits, and vegetables.
- Zinc can regulate the level of DHT (dihydrotestosterone) in the body, a hormone that can cause hair loss. A decrease in zinc levels causes an increase in DHT, which can cause hair loss. Sesame seeds, nuts, eggs, and fish are rich in zinc.
- Iron is essential for hair growth. Low iron levels lead to anemia. Low iron levels affect the hair follicles and disrupt the growth cycle of the hair, leading to hair loss. Iron is present in good amounts in jaggery, lentils, red meat, spinach, and green vegetables.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps in the formation of collagen. Vitamin C also helps in iron absorption. Rich sources of Vitamin C are citrus fruits like oranges, kiwis, and vegetables like sweet potato.
- Vitamin D is important for healthy hair follicle production, and this promotes hair growth. Vitamin D also helps reduce stress and depression. It is found in eggs, oily fishes, and mushrooms.
- Amino acids are essential for healthy hair growth. Amino acids help produce keratin that promotes hair growth, as well as nourishes and improves hair texture. Amino acids are present in protein-rich foods like dairy, meat, pulses, and eggs.
- Omega-3 fatty acids produce oils that keep the skin, nails, and scalp healthy and hydrated. Fish, avocado, and pumpkin seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin B and called Vitamin H or coenzyme R. Biotin improves nail and hair strength and texture.
Minoxidil is the only over the counter medication for hair loss approved by the United States Food and Drugs Administration, which can be used by both men and women. It won't rescue a receding hairline, but it can effectively stimulate hair growth, prevent hair fall, and thicken hair, which in turn will help in hair growth. It is available as Rogaine or Theroxidil in liquid and foam form, in strengths of 2% and 5%. Minoxidil is not a curative treatment. Minoxidil must be applied to the scalp every day. The hair fall resumes if minoxidil is discontinued, and the hair may also fall out faster than before.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Almohanna HM, Ahmed AA, Tsatalis JP, et al. The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2019;9(1):51-70. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6380979/
WebMD. What Is Minoxidil and How Can It Help Thinning Hair? https://www.webmd.com/beauty/qa/what-is-minoxidil-and-how-can-it-help-thinning-hair
Tantry T. How to Get Thicker Hair: 11 Incredible Tips. Flo. https://flo.health/menstrual-cycle/lifestyle/hygiene-and-beauty/how-to-get-thicker-hair
Top How to Grow Hair Faster and Thicker Naturally Related Articles
Effective Ways to Stop Hair Loss in MenHair loss is one of the common problems in men. There could be many causes of hair loss that include diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution, and genetics.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
Do Hair Transplants Really Work?A hair transplant is a procedure in which there is the removal of small pieces (punch grafts) of tissue from the hair-bearing scalp. This is called a donor area, and it is cut into smaller pieces to place these on a bald or thinning area of the scalp.
Electrolysis vs Laser Hair RemovalElectrolysis is a method of hair removal in which an electrical current is sent through a hair follicle. Laser hair removal is a method of hair removal in which a laser (a concentrated beam of light) is used to remove unwanted hair.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Care SlideshowLooking for the best kept hair secrets? See this hair care guide and get tips about hair that is thin, gray, curly, colored, overprocessed, dandruff-prone, and much more.
Hair Loss (Alopecia)There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata, trichotillomania, and tinea capitis), telogen effluvium, and androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness).
Hair Loss: Alopecia, Thinning Hair in Men and WomenLearn about hair loss (alopecia) in women and men. Discover hair loss causes and treatments like shampoos and drugs, as well as how to prevent hair loss.
Hair RemovalThere are many different types of hair removal: shaving, plucking, waxing, depilation, laser hair removal, oral medications, and electrolysis. Laser hair removal is one of the longest-lasting methods of hair removal. Unfortunately, no hair-removal technique is permanent when it comes to getting rid of unwanted hair.
How Can I Remove Facial Hair Permanently at Home?Most women are bothered by unwanted facial hair and look for permanent options to get rid of it. The only advanced technique for hair removal that can permanently remove facial hair is electrolysis. Some of the methods that you can try for facial hair removal at home include shaving, waxing, depilatory creams, prescription medications and homemade masks.
How Common Is Hair Tourniquet?Hair tourniquet syndrome is a rare medical disorder in which part of the body such as a finger, toe or penis gets wrapped in hair very tightly. This is most common in babies if the parents, siblings or caretakers have long hair. Because a lot of hair tourniquets are resolved at home, they are probably underreported.
How Do You Treat Dry Damaged Hair at Home?Dry and frizzy hair is the most common problem faced by women across the world. Harsh winters and chemical products for hair and heat styling can be the culprits in damaging the hair. To check for the moisture content of the hair, take a dry strand of hair and gently pull both ends to stretch it.
Is Hair Transplant Permanent?Yes. The main advantage of a hair transplant is that it is a permanent procedure. The long-term outcome of a hair transplant is subject to certain conditions.
19 Health Problems in Men: Snoring, Hair Loss, and MoreWhat are the biggest body health issues that plague men? Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, hair loss, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get tips on dealing with male body problems and the prevention of common issues in men's health.