Causes of hair split ends
No product will cure the splits end completely. One cannot avoid split ends completely, but one may be able to limit how often they develop. Split ends are when the hair strand divides into two parts at the end. There can be many reasons for split ends, such as:
- Lack of moisture in hair and scalp
- Excessive exposure to the sun
- Using harsh shampoos and chemical products
- Thermal damages from hot curling rods or dryer
- Unbalanced diet and forcefully combing tangled hair
- Split ends can occur due to copper transport disorder like Menkes disease and occipital horn syndrome
11 Home Remedies to get rid of hair split ends
While treating our hair if the outer layer called the cuticle gets damaged then hair becomes dull and gets separated into two-three strands, and thus, forms split ends. This condition is scientifically called trichoptilosis. Due to split ends, hair growth is stopped.
- Hair Care products: Use hair products and conditioners appropriate to your hair color and type, as well as the climate. Always wear a hat when you are out in the sun. Use hair caps while swimming to avoid exposure to chlorine.
- Balanced diet: Consuming all the necessary micronutrients and macronutrients in a properly balanced diet will help your body system to function properly and produce healthy and strong hair. Intake of water will ensure the hydration of the body and promote healthy hair. This is the most effective and proven precaution for split ends. Diet rich in nuts, fruits, and eggs is essential for good hair health.
- Hydrating hair: By using a home hair mask with natural ingredients like egg yolk, ripe papaya, aloe vera, or banana, one can reduce the occurrence of split ends. These natural products are loaded with folic acid, vitamins, proteins, nutrients, and fiber, which can restore hair texture. Make a paste of separate products then apply to the hair, leave for 30 minutes, and then wash it off. This will moisturize and promote hair growth too.
- Oiling and washing: While shampooing your hair, hair absorbs water and swells up making hair dry and fragile, and thus, giving you split ends. Oil shields our hair and reduces damages. Vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids in oil also nourish and condition the hair, which restores the moisture in the hair. Jojoba oil, Moroccan oil, sesame oil, almond oil, etc. are best for pre-wash treatment.
- Leave-in conditioners can be used after the shower to keep the hair strand supple by locking in the moisture.
- The friction caused by rubbing a towel further irritates damaged and frizzy hair caused by split ends. Be gentle after shampooing by opting for a towel with woven fibers. Not only are they softer on your fragile, wet hair but they also cut drying time in half.
- A simple fix for split ends is to apply a small amount of the split end remedy serum on the damp hair. Let the smart polymers lock in shine and protect your hair from heat damage. However, these quick fixes damage the hair shaft in the long run.
- Be kind to your hair when brushing. Start at the ends and work your way up. Gently comb through tangles rather than roughly brushing your hair from the root to the end. Try using a paddle brush with flexible bristles nestled in a soft cushion base. Try a wide-tooth comb after applying a leave-in conditioner to work out any knots.
- Coconut oil is known widely for being beneficial for our skin, nail, and hair health. We can use coconut oil to induce hair growth, remove dandruff, and of course to eliminate those dry, split ends of your hair. However, coconut oil is extremely heavy, it would be wise to begin by applying a small portion. Remember to stay off from hair roots for this treatment to see the desired results. Wait for half an hour and wash your hair well with shampoo. To ensure your hair doesn’t have any excess oil, one can shampoo their hair twice. Try this remedy once every fortnight and see the difference. Hair will start growing longer and soon split ends would vanish.
- Avocado is a rich source of a range of essential nutrients. It contains Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, amino acids, potassium, magnesium, iron, and so on. All these nutrients together give avocado the power of restoring brittle, damaged hair. Other than the above nutrients, avocado also contains Vitamin H in large quantities. This vitamin helps in strengthening the hair roots. The avocado mask makes an amazing hair conditioner. It makes our hair smoother and kills dryness. Repeating this remedy once every week will help you get rid of split ends within a month. If your hair is too dry, add egg white with one tablespoon of olive oil and one tablespoon of coconut oil.
- To ensure that hair always remains soft and smooth, tie your hair well before going to bed. Avoid sun exposure to hair as much as possible.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Evergreen Beauty College. Fixing Split Ends Without Cutting Them. https://www.evergreenbeauty.edu/blog/fixing-split-ends-without-cutting-them/
Grant V. 5 Tricks To Put an End to Split Ends (Without Cutting Your Hair). Bell Media Lifestyle Specialty. https://www.theloop.ca/5-ways-to-put-an-end-to-split-ends-without-cutting-your-hair/
Top How to get rid of split ends without cutting hair Related Articles
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
15 Gray Hair Causes and FixesWhat causes gray hair, and what does it say about your health? Is it stress? Genetics? Medications? Learn how to remove gray hair, why some people go gray sooner than others, and find what hairstyles and dyes help you look younger. When you want to show off your natural gray, discover what shampoo gives you a shiny, silver look.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Loss: Alopecia, Thinning Hair in Men and WomenLearn about hair loss (alopecia) in women and men. Discover hair loss causes and treatments like shampoos and drugs, as well as how to prevent hair loss.
Hair Loss QuizTrue or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair. Learn what damages hair and what doesn't. Take the quiz!
How Can I Get Healthy Hair Naturally?Hair has always been a significant aspect of beauty standards. Luscious and shiny locks have been considered ideal beauty for ages. Have you always dreamt of having that bouncy and voluminous hair seen in the advertisements? If so, this dream can turn into reality by following a proper hair care routine.
How Can I Make My Hair Grow Superfast?You will hardly come across any person who does not want thick hair. No wonder, there are so many hair-care products, such as shampoos, oils, serums, and even supplements, in the market that claim to reduce your hair fall and promise you beautiful and thick hair.
How Can I Make My Hair Soft and Silky?The signs of healthy hair include thick, soft, and shiny hair. Having silky hair is something not every person is born with. Your hair may become dry and brittle if your diet is not healthy or if you use hair products that are not meant for your hair type.
How Can I Treat My Hair Fall at Home?Treating hair loss at home involves understanding the potential reason for the hair fall or hair thinning.
How Do You Treat Dry Damaged Hair at Home?Dry and frizzy hair is the most common problem faced by women across the world. Harsh winters and chemical products for hair and heat styling can be the culprits in damaging the hair. To check for the moisture content of the hair, take a dry strand of hair and gently pull both ends to stretch it.
How Long Do Hair Supplements Take to Work?Hair growth vitamins or herbal supplements are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. Taking hair growth supplements does not produce results overnight; it usually takes a long time (one to five years) to see results.
Is It Safe to Bleach Already Bleached Hair?Oxidized melanin loses its color, making the hair look lighter. Bleaching significantly damages your hair. Whether you should rebleach your bleached hair depends on the health of your hair before and after bleaching.
Surprising Reasons Your Hair Is Falling OutSeeing clumps of hair in your brush every time you groom your tresses? Find out what might be behind your locks loss.
What Are the Four Types of Hair?Hair type and texture are determined by several factors including genetics. There are four main types of hair texture: Type 1 - straight, Type 2 - wavy, Type 3 - curly and Type 4 - tightly curled.