10 Home remedies
Carpenter ants are wood-destroying ants that thrive in damp climates such as those found in the densely populated coastal region. These ants get their name from well-crafted nests that they make by the excavation of wood to form smooth tunnels in it. Carpenter ants make their way where excessive moisture accumulates in parts of dwellings, other buildings, power poles, and fence posts. Termites also attack woods; hence, it is important to identify carpenter ants and treat them accordingly. Carpenter ants are largely black or dark brown insects with bent antennae, three body segments, and six legs. Termites, on the other hand, have light-colored bodies and straight antennae.
Because moisture is essential for carpenter ants to thrive, it is necessary to remove all sources of moisture or check for any leakages. Other fastest ways to get rid of carpenter ants include:
- Destroying the nest seems to be the most effective way to get rid of carpenter ants. Directly sprinkle carpenter ant dust or other powders specifically designed to terminate carpenter ants on the nest. People with dust allergies should be vigilant while handling the powder.
- A soapy water solution or window cleaner can effectively kill the ants on contact but without residual toxicity.
- Wiping up ants’ chemical trail using soapy water or vinegar mixed with a water solution will be useful. Carpenter ants tend to walk on long trails, so it is important to wipe away the trail.
- Repairing leaky sinks and pipes will prevent moisture buildup.
- Wiping spills and cleaning counters, tables, and floors with a microfiber cloth or paper towel can get rid of ants.
- Regular cleaning of floors and kitchen appliances can eliminate grease and crumbs. Hygiene is an important aspect for achieving complete control of carpenter ants.
- Looking for small piles of sawdust and moisture-damaged wood inside walls from attic to basement, windows, and skylight.
- Sprinkling diatomaceous earth on the ants may dry them out by absorbing oils in their skeleton. Follow the package directions before using it as an ant killer or directly sprinkle it on the ants. Be cautious while handling diatomaceous earth due to its irritant nature.
- Pouring boiling water into ant holes will immediately kill many of the ants inside. Boiling water may not destroy all the ants. There is a potential risk of personal injury when using boiling water, so be cautious while using boiling water.
- Ant baits contain insecticides mixed with materials that attract worker ants looking for food. Ant baits contain carbohydrates, proteins, oils, or a combination of these as attractants along with an active ingredient.
|Active Ingredient||Example product name||Formulation||Application||Bait|
|Avermectin B (abamectin)|
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top How to Get Rid of Carpenter Ants Related Articles
Fire Ant Bites PictureThe fire ant sting typically causes red hive-like lesions that burn and itch. See a picture of Fire Ant Bites and learn more about the health topic.
What Home Remedy Is Good for Ant Bites?Various home remedies may help treat ant bites instantly. Some of the good home remedies for effective treatment of ant bites vary.
What Is the Best Thing to Put on Fire Ant Bites?Fire ants are one of the most aggressive insects found all over the world. They don’t bite but sting and it burns, hence their name. These ants are dark reddish-brown in color and nest in soil or the landscaping areas.