A glass of lemon water first thing in the morning is an age-old remedy.
- To get your recommended daily intake of vitamin C (75 and 90 mg for women and men, respectively), you may need to drink about three-fourths of a cup of pure lemon juice per day.
- Mix the juice with 250 to 350 mL of water.
- Another method is filling a one-liter bottle with room-temperature water, add about 4 slices of lemon and drink it throughout the day for better hydration results.
- You may add honey or slices of ginger or mint leaves for better taste.
While doctors recommend that the average male consume 3.7 L of water per day and the average female consume 2.7 L of water, some people may struggle to meet that goal. Adding lemon juice to water is a tastier alternative that can help you meet your water goal and vitamin C requirements.
What are the health benefits of including lemon water in your daily diet?
Drinking lemon water is one of the simplest and quickest ways to refresh yourself. Lemons contain numerous beauty and health benefits, including immune-boosting abilities. Lemon juice aids in digestion and gut health.
The following are some of the popular advantages of incorporating lemon water into your daily routine or diet:
- Lemon water aids in the maintenance of a healthy mineral balance in the body by replenishing nutrients that have been lost due to dehydration and sweating.
- According to research, lemon juice may help reduce acid reflux and heartburn.
- Lemon water is high in vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system. Warm lemon water, in addition to being an excellent way to prevent colds, can also help loosen congestion and shorten the duration of symptoms.
- According to studies, this simple beverage is low in calories and can help with weight loss, liver function, and digestion when combined with a healthy lifestyle. It reduces stress and inflammation and boosts energy, mood, and immunity. It also gives you pleasant breath and a healthy glow to your skin. Furthermore, lemon water is said to lower blood pressure and help prevent the risk of stroke.
- Lemon contains minerals, such as calcium, iron, selenium, and potassium, which are essential for overall health. Regular consumption of lemon water may help strengthen bones, promote oral health, and prevent anemia and kidney stones due to its citrate content.
- Lemon juice contains various antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins that boost brain and heart health.
Although the majority of the research is still in the observational stage, starting your day with a glass of water containing this citrus fruit is not a bad idea.
Are there any side effects of drinking lemon water daily?
While lemon water is generally considered safe to consume, there are a few side effects to be aware of, such as:
- Lemon contains a high concentration of citric acid, which can erode tooth enamel, so drink it through a straw and follow it up with rinsing your mouth.
- Drinking lemon water in large quantities can cause a burning sensation in your stomach and aggravate the symptoms of acid reflux or heartburn.
- It has been reported that drinking lemon water makes people urinate frequently due to its diuretic properties.
- Drinking too much lemon water each can lead to vitamin C toxicity, although it is unlikely to be harmful.
Drinking lemon water is a simple habit that can provide long-term health benefits. More research, however, is required to establish these benefits. Therefore, consume it with caution and in moderation.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Diffley J. 4 Surprising Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water. Diffley. https://selecthealth.org/blog/2017/04/4-surprising-benefits-of-drinking-lemon-water
LifeQuest Nursing Center. 7 Benefits of Starting your Day with Lemon Water. https://www.lifequestnursinghome.org/2015/04/7-benefits-of-starting-your-day-with-lemon-water/
Top How Much Lemon Water Should You Drink in a Day Related Articles
Can Drinking Water Help Prevent a Stroke?Many studies have proven that proper hydration at the time of a stroke is linked to better stroke recovery. It is possible that dehydration causes blood to be thicker. Viscous blood causes the body to retain sodium and increases blood pressure. Drinking enough water regularly prevents dehydration. This may play a role in keeping the blood less viscous, which in turn prevents a stroke.
Can Drinking Water Lower Your Blood Pressure?Keeping well hydrated by drinking six to eight glasses of water daily (even more if working in hot and humid conditions) is beneficial for the blood pressure. High blood pressure (BP) or hypertension is a condition caused by the persistent high pressure of blood against the walls of arteries. It is also called systolic pressure (constantly greater than 139 mmHg) or diastolic pressure (constantly more than 89 mmHg).
Can You Flush Out a UTI With Water?Patients with urinary tract infection (UTI) are usually advised to drink six to eight glasses (1.5 to 2 liters) of water every day to flush the infection out of the urinary system.
How Much Water Should You Drink Based on Your Weight?The old formula “one size fits all” seems to be outdated in the current scenario. Currently, the size, weight, activity level, or area of living can influence your water need. In general, you should try to drink between half an ounce to an ounce of water per day for each pound you weigh. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds you should drink between 75 to 150 ounces of water a day.
Hydration QuizDo you know how much water you should be drinking on a daily basis? It may not be what you think. Take this quiz to learn how to stay hydrated.
Is Drinking a Lot of Water Good for Your Prostate?Doctors recommend drinking six to eight glasses of water (or 1.5 to 2 liters) daily. For prostate problems, limit water intake before going to bed at night. This will keep you from waking up at night to urinate repeatedly.
Is Drinking Cold Water Bad?About 60 percent of the body is made up of water. It forms a major part of the blood. The cells and the body cannot function right if the water levels go down. Drinking cold water often causes “cold stress” in the body.
7 Ways Water Benefits the BodyDrinking water benefits digestion, metabolism, toxin elimination, and other functions. Water promotes weight loss and helps prevent dehydration. Health benefits of hydration include improvements in mood, skin health, and ability to work out.
Vitamin C: What You Should KnowWant to see if you're getting enough vitamin c? Find out what you should know with this slideshow from WebMD.
What Happens to Your Body When You Drink Enough Water?You might be surprised at how well your body works when you drink enough water. Find out exactly what can go right when you get your H2O.
What Is Rose Water Good For?Rose water is flavored water that is of medicinal, cultural and religious importance in various places all around the world. Rose water offers various cosmetic and health benefits because of the presence of phenolic compounds, volatile oils and aromatic compounds in it. It seems to be good for the skin, hair, mind, throat and gut.
Water Safety: What's Inside Your Drinking Water?`What are the benefits of drinking water? How do you keep your drinking water safe and healthy? Learn about the water you drink and possible contaminants like giardia, cryptosporidium, lead, chlorine, and more. Discover how to boil your water in an emergency, and why fluoride in tap water is healthy for teeth.