According to researchers, you should eat 8 strawberries a day to reap the health benefits. Strawberries can help promote heart and brain health, lower blood pressure, and reduce the risk of some cancers.
However, strawberries must be consumed with caution if you have a bleeding disorder, since eating strawberries in larger amounts may prolong bleeding time and increase the risk of bleeding.
What is the nutritional value of strawberries?
Strawberries are rich in vitamins, minerals, fibers, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory compounds.
They are a great source of minerals such as:
Strawberries are also a good source of vitamins such as:
- Vitamins C, A, B6, B12, and E (8 strawberries contains more calcium than an orange)
- Pantothenic acid
Strawberries contain 18 different amino acids as well as phytochemicals such as:
8 health benefits of strawberries
- Boosts immunity: Vitamin C in strawberries helps your body maintain a healthy immune system, especially during cold and flu season.
- Protects the heart: Regularly consuming anthocyanins found in strawberries helps reduce the risk of heart attack, prevents platelet buildup, and lowers blood pressure. Potassium in strawberries also supports heart health because it helps buffer the effect of sodium on blood pressure.
- Helps maintain healthy vision: The antioxidant compounds in strawberries protect the eyes from free radical damage from the sun, which can damage the protein in the lens and cause cataracts (clouding over of the eye lens). Vitamin C in strawberries also strengthens the cornea and retina of the eye.
- Keeps the brain sharp: The flavonoids in strawberries may slow cognitive decline in older women and improve memory.
- Helps with weight loss: The high fiber content in strawberries helps promote good digestion and regular bowel movements. Fiber is also effective in controlling cravings. Since strawberries are fairly low in calories and high in water content, they can help with weight loss.
- Promotes skin health: Vitamin C is vital to producing collagen, a protein that keeps skin elastic. Because collagen is slowly lost with aging, eating foods rich in vitamin C can help your skin look plumper and younger.
- Supports pregnancy: Strawberries are a natural source of folic acid, which is instrumental in fetal development during pregnancy. A cup of strawberries offers about 40 mcg of folate.
- Improves sex life: Strawberries are known to have aphrodisiac-like properties. Due to their high antioxidant content, strawberries help improve the blood flow to the genital organs in both sexes.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Afrin S, Gasparrini M, Forbes-Hernandez TY, et al. Promising Health Benefits of the Strawberry: A Focus on Clinical Studies. J Agric Food Chem. 2016 Jun 8;64(22):4435-49. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27172913/
Giampieri F, Forbes-Hernandez TY, Gasparrini M, et al. Strawberry as a health promoter: an evidence based review. Food Funct. 2015 May;6(5):1386-98. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25803191/
Top How Many Strawberries Should I Eat in a Day Related Articles
Are Strawberries Good for Your Stomach?Strawberries are one of the most popular berries in America. They are rich in antioxidants and fibers that can help keep your tummy healthy. From the animal experiments conducted so far, strawberries seem to be good for your stomach.
What Are the Best Fruits for Lowering Blood Pressure?The best fruits for lowering blood pressure include citrus fruits, berries, bananas, pomegranates, prunes, and melons.
High-Sugar FruitsSugar content in fruit varies. High-sugar fruits include mangoes, pears, grapes, cherries, bananas, figs, and watermelon. Low-sugar fruits include avocados, guava, raspberries, cantaloupe, papayas, and strawberries.
Fat-Fighting FoodsLearn about fat-fighting foods such as grapefruit, hot peppers, vinegar, and more. Discover the benefits along with surprising facts about how they may fight fat.
Berries Health BenefitsThese little fruits offer a lot of nutrition in a small, sweet package. Check out the health benefits you may get when you treat yourself to a bowl of berries.
High-Fiber FoodsLearn about high-fiber foods. From fresh fruits to whole grains, these fiber-rich foods can lower cholesterol, prevent constipation, and improve digestion.
What Are the Nutritional Benefits of Eating Strawberries?Strawberries are chock full of vitamins. They contain Vitamin C, folate, potassium, antioxidants, manganese, and fiber, among other beneficial nutrients.
What Are the Benefits of Eating Strawberries?Almost every family in America enjoys eating strawberries fruits due to their delicious taste. First cultivated in ancient Rome, these fruits have become one of the most popular berries worldwide.
What Are the Benefits of Raspberries?Raspberries are edible fruits of a plant species in the genus Rubus. They are related to the rose family. They are one of the most popular berries in the world with their sweet-tart flavor and velvety texture. There are many types of raspberries, including black, purple and golden, but the red raspberry, or Rubus idaeus, is the most common.