Viruses cause the common cold and the flu. Early symptoms and signs for a cold and the flu are similar, however, flu symptoms are typically more severe than cold symptoms. Cold and flu viruses are transmitted typically via coughing or sneezing. Read more: How Long Is a Cold or Flu Contagious? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Common Cold Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take this quiz to learn the truth behind the infectious, contagious, uncomfortable disease known as the common cold. Test your...
Cold & Flu Quiz: Influenza vs. Common Cold
Aches? Pain? Fever? This Cold & Flu Quiz tests your knowledge on the difference between coming down with the common cold and...
Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
What natural remedies work for the flu and common cold? Many claim cold symptoms and flu symptoms can be relieved with Echinacea,...
A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference
Learn common symptoms of a cold and the flu. Discover the difference between a cold and the flu. Read about cold and flu...
Cold and Flu: Finding Relief for Your Cough
Remedies for coughing to relieve symptoms, thin mucus, and clear phlegm include cough syrup and honey in hot water. Use...
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Cold, Fever and Flu Treatment in Children: Medications and Home Remedies
Colds and fevers are some of the most common ailments in children. Learn common cold symptoms, treatment options, over the...
10 Facts About Flu Shots
Watch this pictures slideshow for more information about flu shots. Get the facts on different types of influenza vaccines and...
Home Remedies for the Flu or a Cold
Watch this pictures slideshow and learn about home remedies for sick children. Get tips on how to treat a sore throat, cough,...
Related Disease Conditions
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
What Is Mucus?
Mucus is a normal substance produced by lining tissues in the body. Excess mucus or mucus that is yellow, green, brown, or bloody...
Novel H1N1 influenza A virus infection (swine flu) is an infection that generally is transferred from an infected pig to a human,...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
Mastoiditis (Symptoms, Treatment, Cure in Adults and Children
Mastoiditis in children and adults is inflammation and/or infection of the mastoid bone, which is located behind the ear. The...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
Adenovirus 14 (Killer Cold Virus)
Adenovirus infection, particularly Ad14, or the "killer cold virus" has been on the increase in the past two years. Symptoms...
Cold and Cough Medicine for Infants and Children
The safety of giving infants and children over-the-counter (OTC) cold and cough medicine is important for caregivers to...
Are You Too Sick to Work?
When you're not feeling well, it may be difficult to decide whether to stay home or go to school or work. Conditions that are...
Cold vs. Flu
Though the common cold and flu share many signs and symptoms, they are caused by different viruses. Signs and symptoms include...
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments
Before treating a cold, the flu, or allergies with over-the-counter (OTC) medications, it's important to know what's causing the...
Laryngitis Home Remedies (in Adults and Children)
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx. Inflammation of the larynx is most often caused by viral infections, and have...
Adenovirus infections are common and often have no symptoms. Adenoviruses cause illnesses like bladder infections, diarrhea,...
Snoring is caused by the vibrations of the soft tissues at the back of the nose and throat while a person sleeps. There are many...
Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and Colds
If you have a COPD such as emphysema, avoiding chronic bronchitis and colds is important to avoid a more severe respiratory...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Cold & Flu FAQs
- Common Cold FAQs
- Common Cold . . . Social Ties Decrease Risk
- Colds: Zinc For Colds...Jury Still Out!
- Colds: 10 Tips to Prevent The Common Cold
- Killer Cold Virus (Adenovirus Strains)
- OTC Cold and Cough Medications
- When to Call the Doctor for Fever, Nausea, Diarrhea, Colds, and Coughs
- Air Travel, Colds, and Sinus Infections
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Got the Flu? You Probably Shouldn't Head to the ER
- Flu Season Far From Over, CDC Says
- How to Decide When You're Too Sick to Work
- Flu May Up the Odds of Stroke, Neck Artery Tears
- Many Parents Wrong About What Prevents Colds in Kids
- U.S. Flu Cases Hit 7 Million Mark: CDC
- Changes to Flu Shot Supply Chain Could Save Lives: Study
- Flu Shot Crucial for Those With COPD
- Flu Widening Its Grip on the United States: CDC
- Flu Rides the Subway, Too
- Health Tip: Getting the Flu If You Have Cancer
- Can You Predict Your Common Cold Risk?
- Nose Holds Clues to Baby's First Cold
- Almost Half of U.S. Adults to Skip Flu Shot
- Nurse Fired for Refusing Flu Shot, Protestors Say
- Arm Yourself Against the Coming Flu Season
- Roll Up Your Sleeves to Avoid the Flu
- Flu Activity Is Low -- For Now
- Health Tip: Flu 101
- Don't Become a Flu Statistic. Get Vaccinated
- Skip the Cold Meds for Kids Under 6, Experts Say
- Flu Season Lingers in Big Cities
- Working Out When Under the Weather
- Colds Especially Bad? Your Nose Might Be to Blame
- 80,000 Americans Died From Flu Last Year
- All Children Should Receive Flu Vaccine ASAP, Doctors Advise
- Steer Clear of Obese Friends With the Flu
- Newer Flu Vaccine Only Slight More Effective in Seniors: FDA
- Who Will and Who Won't Get the Flu?
- Humidity Won't Hamper Spread of Flu Virus
- Many, But Not All, Hospitals Require Flu Shots for Staffers
- Scientists Are Targeting the Common Cold
- With Warmer Weather Comes Wrap-Up of Severe Flu Season
- End of Brutal Flu Season in Sight
- Flu Season Finally Slowing Down
- Nasty Flu Season Easing Up
- Fighting a Cold or Flu? Beware of Overdosing on Tylenol
- Nasty Flu Season Shows More Signs of Slowing
- Why the Flu Makes You Feel So Miserable
- New Version of Nasal Flu Vaccine to Return for Next Season
- Even Hidden Flu May Trigger Trouble After Heart Surgery
- Is It a Cold or Flu? Here's How to Tell
- Human Cold Virus Killed Chimpanzees
- Will This Year's Flu Shot Be as Weak as Last Season's?
- When a Cold or Flu Strikes a Family Member
- Health Tip: Get More Sleep if You Have a Cold
- Health Tip: Stave Off Cold Symptoms for Better Sleep
- A Lonely Heart Could Worsen a Cold
- Common Cold Can Be Dangerous After Bone Marrow Transplant
- Is It a Cold or the Flu? Here's How to Tell
- Do Your Part to Stop Spreading Colds and Flu
- Could Infant Colds, Other Infections Raise Type 1 Diabetes Risk?
- Health Tip: Treating Your Child's Cold
- Protect Yourself From Colds and Flu This Winter
- Try Home Remedies for Child's Cough or Cold
- Vitamin D Won't Guard Against Colds in People With Asthma
- Enterovirus D68 No Deadlier for Kids Than the Common Cold: Study
- Colds, Flu Up Odds for Stroke in Kids, Though Risk Is Low: Study
- Too Little Sleep May Quadruple Your Risk for Colds: Study
- Is It a Cold or an Allergy?
- FDA Shares Advice to Avoid Colds and Flu
- New Clues to How Colds Can Spur Asthma Attacks
- Study Ties Colds, Flu to Rare Risk of Stroke in Kids
- When Colds, Flu Lead to Complications in Kids
- Common Cold Meds May Pose Health Threats
- Expectant Mothers' Colds May Affect Baby
- Health Tip: Avoid Spreading the Common Cold
- When a Common Cold Becomes More Dangerous for Kids
- Health Tip: When Your Child Has a Cold
- Your Summer Cold May Actually Be an Allergic Reaction
- Many Parents Give Kids Cold Medicines When They Shouldn't, Survey Finds
- Cold and Flu Sufferers Should Ease Back Into Fitness Routine
- Doubling Up on Cold, Flu Remedies May Harm Liver
- Health Tip: If You Have a Cold
- Antibiotics Don't Ease Coughs in Kids With Common Cold: Study
- Strike Vitamin D Off the List for Cold Prevention?
- That May Not Be a Cold, Could Be Fall Allergies
- Vitamin D May Thwart Kids' Winter Colds
- Exercise, Meditation Can Beat Back Cold, Flu, Study Finds
- Parenthood May Reduce the Risk of Catching a Cold
- Colds May Be Even More 'Common' Than People Think
- Does Your Child Have Seasonal Allergies or a Cold?
- Zinc May Slightly Help Adults With Colds, Not Kids
- Research Shows How Colds Lead to Coughing, Wheezing
- Health Tip: Skip the Cold Medicine Before Age 4
- Catch a Bus, Catch a Cold
- Nasal Spray May Kill Cold Virus
- FDA: Some Zicam Cold Remedies Are Risky
- Low Vitamin D Levels Linked to Colds
- Health Tip: Caught a Cold?
- Regular Hand-Washing Can Prevent Against Colds, Flu
- Killer Cold Virus: Questions, Answers
- Killer Cold Virus Appears in U.S.
- Panel: No Cold Medicine for Young Kids
- Infant Cough, Cold Drugs Withdrawn
- FDA Experts Urge Ban on Cold Medicines for Young Children
- Vitamin C Can't Cure Common Cold
- Cold Medicine Risky for Kids
- Health Tip: Who Should Get a Flu Shot?
- Cold Viruses May Linger in Hotel Rooms
Cold and Flu Resources
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter