Muesli is a healthy breakfast option compared to other sugary cereals that we currently have in the market. Muesli is a delicious combination of nuts, dried fruits, seeds, and oats. It is enriched with beta-glucan, which has shown to have many health benefits, such as:
- Reduces postprandial glucose and insulin levels: 4 g of beta-glucans has shown to be effective against high blood sugar.
- Helps your digestion: It is rich in soluble fiber and whole grains. Dietary fiber is useful for your digestive system. Fiber regulates the digestive system and bulks up the stools.
- Helps you stay full for longer times: Whole grains keep you full for a long time. Raw oats contain a lot of resistant starch that takes time to digest, making muesli an extremely filling breakfast.
- Protects your heart: Beta-glucans have been shown to reduce cholesterol by 10%. Including muesli in your daily breakfast will drastically improve heart health.
- Has more nutrients: About a 100 g of muesli serving contain:
- Calories: 340
- Total fat: 4.9 g
- Dietary fiber: 8 g
- Sugars: 25 g
- Protein: 9.7 g
- It is also high in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol), B12, B6, niacin, riboflavin, and pantothenic acids.
- High protein intake: They are rich in proteins. You can even enhance the protein intake by adding nuts, milk, or non-dairy milk (such as almond milk, flax milk, soymilk, or yogurt).
- Avoid unhealthy options: With muesli as an option, you won’t try any unhealthy breakfast cereals because it is quite tasty and filling. Thus, you save your health and waistline by avoiding sugar in the breakfast.
- Effective against infectious disease and cancer: Studies have shown that beta-glucans were effective against infectious disease and cancer because it alters the immune system.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab a bowl of muesli and enjoy it as your breakfast or brunch to relish all the benefits.
What is muesli?
Muesli is an unsweetened cereal made up of rolled oats, nuts, and fruits. You can try different versions of muesli with:
- Fiber-rich oats
- Ground flaxseed
- Dried fruits
This combination is rich in nutrients like:
You can also load it with low-fat, calcium-rich yogurt or fresh fruit, such as chopped apples, sliced bananas, or cherries.
What are the side effects of not having breakfast?
Studies have shown that breakfast is the most important meal of all. The same study also revealed that people who skipped breakfast are at high risk of heart attack or death from coronary artery disease. Besides, skipping breakfast may also lead to:
Pairing protein-rich and complex carbs is a fantastic idea for breakfast. The carbs give your body energy to gear up for the day. Your brain needs carbs as fuel. The protein gives you stamina and helps you feel full until your next meal.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Harvard T. H. Chan. Skipping Breakfast May Increase Coronary Heart Disease Risk. July 23, 2013. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/skipping-breakfast-may-increase-coronary-heart-disease-risk/
Top How Healthy Is Muesli? Related Articles
Diabetic DietA diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may also help stabilize blood glucose levels. Keeping track of when you take your diabetic medicine, keeping track of food choices, eating the proper amount of fruits, vegetables, carbohydrates, and fats will also help maintain proper blood glucose levels.
Type 2 Diabetes Diet PlanA type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to prevent complications of diabetes. There are a variety of type 2 diabetes diet eating plans such as the Mediterranean diet, Paleo diet, ADA Diabetes Diet, and vegetarian diets.Learn about low and high glycemic index foods, what foods to eat, and what foods to avoid if you have type 2 diabetes.
Nutrition QuizEven if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to learn more about eating right.
Best Diet Tips SlideshowLearn to lose weight in a realistic way that works. Find healthy weight loss by eating right, sleeping more, understanding portion sizes. Learn how to set reasonable diet standards.
The 10 Best Diet PlansDiet means a reduction in calorie intake. For the optimal management of overweight and obese patients, a combination of diet, exercise, and behavioral modifications may be helpful. Weight loss is directly related to the difference between the individual’s energy intake and energy expenditure.