Leukemia is a cancer of the white blood cells of the bone marrow. Patients with leukemia have an over-production of a particular blood cell type in the body, the white blood cells (cells that fight infection, and provide immunity). Read more: How Does Leukemia Kill? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Signs of Cancer in Men: Could it Be Cancer?
See pictures of which 15 cancer symptoms men ignore such as skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight loss, a breast...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Cancer: Guide to Leukemia
Learn about the common types and stages of leukemia, who gets it, symptoms, tests, treatments, and more. People with blood cancer...
Leukemia Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What do you know about leukemia? Did you know there are different types? What are the symptoms? Take the Leukemia Quiz and test...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Cancer: How to Lower and Cut Your Risk of Cancer
About a third of all cases of cancer can be prevented. Find out how to lower your chances of getting it.
Cancer: Cancer 'Remedies' That Don't Work
You may have read about an all-natural cure for cancer. While many therapies are helpful, some aren't worth your time or money....
Cancer: Does This Cause Cancer?
Everything gives you cancer, right? Not really. WebMD's slide show tells you about the research into cancer and cell phones,...
Related Disease Conditions
Leukemia is a type of cancer of the blood cells in which the growth and development of the blood cells are abnormal. Strictly speaking, leukemia should refer only to cancer of the white blood cells (the leukocytes) but in practice it can apply to malignancy of any cellular element in the blood or bone marrow, as in red cell leukemia (erythroleukemia).
Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
Childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia is the most common type of cancer in children. Symptoms and signs include fever, easy bruising, bone or joint pain, weakness, loss of appetite, and painless lumps in the neck, underarm, stomach, or groin. Treatment depends upon staging and may include chemotherapy, radiation, or stem cell transplant.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Leukemia FAQs
- Cancer FAQs
- Evolution of Treatment for a Rare Type of Leukemia
- Gleevec and Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- How Familes Cope with a Leukemia Diagnosis
- Coping with a Bad Disease - Community Counts
- A Family's Leukemia Diary - Coping
- Is Multiple Myeloma the Same as Leukemia?
- Does Folic Acid Prevent Leukemia?
- Can Folic Acid Prevent Leukemia?
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML)
Prevention & Wellness
- Medicare to Cover Breakthrough Gene Therapy for Leukemia, Lymphoma
- Drug Duo May Be an Advance Against a Common Leukemia
- WWE Star Roman Reigns Battling Leukemia
- Novel Treatment Approved for 'Hairy Cell' Leukemia
- Tibsovo Approved for Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Blincyto Approval Expanded for Specific Leukemia
- Are You Sure That's What the Doctor Said About Your Leukemia?
- New Treatment Approved for Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Idhifa Approved for Some With Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Cancer Drug Helps Some Kids With Rare Type of Leukemia
- Rydapt Approved for Adults With Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Gleevec Keeps a Leukemia in Check for More Than a Decade: Study
- Gene Therapy Helps 2 Babies Fight Type of Leukemia
- Therapeutic Vaccine Shows 'Game-Changing' Promise Against a Leukemia
- For Teens With Leukemia, Pregnancy Tests Often Neglected