Disclaimer: This article is only meant to dispense medical knowledge about hemlock and its adverse events, as well as its management. It is strongly recommended not to touch or be in contact with hemlock, and inform the concerned authorities if hemlock grows in your vicinity.
The hemlock plant, known as poison hemlock, is poisonous. Its seeds, flowers, leaves, or fruits contain poisonous alkaloid chemicals. Any part can kill you even after ingesting small amounts. Death occurs due to respiratory failure. The alkaloids slowly poison the nerve-muscle junctions and cause the failure of the breathing muscles. Even touching this plant may cause a skin reaction known as dermatitis (itchy skin rash) in sensitive people. Lack of antidote makes hemlock poisoning more difficult to treat.
The poison hemlock (Conium maculatum L) grows throughout the United States, typically during the spring. It is commonly found at lower elevation areas, such as roadsides, ditches and stream banks, fence lines, and creek beds, as well as on the edges of cultivated fields. It can also invade grazing areas, particularly pastures and meadows. It tends to flourish in areas where moisture is abundant. However, it can also survive in dry sites.
Accidental ingestion and resultant poisoning most often result from mistaking its roots of poison for wild parsnips and leaves for parsley.
Poison hemlock is also known as:
- Poison parsley
- Deadly hemlock
- Spotted hemlock
- European hemlock
- California fern
- Nebraska fern
What are the symptoms of hemlock poisoning?
Ingestion of the hemlock plant can take 30 minutes to a few hours to give rise to the poisoning symptoms. The severity of the symptoms depends on how long the plant is there in your system. The common signs and symptoms include:
What is the treatment of hemlock poisoning?
Hemlock poisoning can lead to serious complications. Seek medical help right away if you have touched or eaten any of the parts of the poisonous plant.
Currently, there is no antidote for hemlock poisoning. Doctors treat the condition depending on the severity of symptoms. Treatment usually includes:
How can you prevent hemlock poisoning?
Elimination of hemlock plants is a sure way to prevent hemlock poisoning. The following are precautions that you should take:
- Remove the hemlock plants entirely along with their roots. You can remove it manually or use mowers. Place the removed plants in plastic bags and throw them in the dustbin.
- Wear long sleeves, gloves, and face masks while handling the plant.
- Do not cut the hemlock plants; they can resprout or emit fumes.
- Do not burn the hemlock plants. Inhalation of fumes or their contact with skin can result in poisoning.
- Spray herbicides on the hemlock plants just after the fall or in the early spring. Repeated applications for a couple of years are more effective. Continue the application until the seed bank has been significantly depleted.
Keep inspecting the area of hemlock plants after you have eliminated them by any of the methods.
Make sure to identify the hemlock plant from other edible plants so that you do not ingest it accidentally and fall prey to its poisoning.
Latest Health and Living News
Daily Health News
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Agricultural Research Service. Poison Hemlock (Conium maculatum). U.S. Department of Agriculture. https://www.ars.usda.gov/pacific-west-area/logan-ut/poisonous-plant-research/docs/poison-hemlock-conium-maculatum/
Top How Does Hemlock Kill You? Related Articles
Food PoisoningFood poisoning is common, but can also be life threatening. The symptoms for food poisoning are fever, abdominal pain, headache, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Food poisoning has many causes, for example, chemicals (from toxic fish or plants) and bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus or Salmonella). Treatment of food poisoning depends upon the cause.
Food Poisoning QuizWhat causes food poisoning? Can it be prevented? Take this quiz to learn about food safety and how to guard yourself against food poisoning.
Lead PoisoningLead-based paint and lead contaminated dust are the main sources of exposure for lead in U.S. children. Lead-based paints were banned for use in housing in 1978. All houses built before 1978 are likely to contain some lead-based paint. However, it is the deterioration of this paint that causes a problem. Approximately 24 million housing units have deteriorated leaded paint and elevated levels of lead-contaminated house dust. More than 4 million of these dwellings are homes to one or more young children. Lead poisoning is entirely preventable. The key is stopping children from coming into contact with lead and treating children who have been poisoned by lead.
Plants and RashesYou may know to look for poison ivy's three-leaf stem, but what else do you know about rash-causing plants? WebMD explores myths and facts of poison plants.
Poison Control CentersThe United States National Poison Hotline is 1-800-222-1222. When you call this number you will be automatically linked to the nearest poison center in the United States. Call this number 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to talk to a poison expert.
Poison Ivy, Oak, and SumacPoison ivy, oak, and sumac contain a substance called urushiol, which causes a rash on people who come in contact with them. Symptoms and signs include a red, swollen, itchy, blistering, bumpy rash. Treatment involves rinsing the exposed area with water, taking antihistamines and over-the-counter pain medications, using topical treatments such as calamine lotion, and applying cool compresses.
Radon (A Citizen's Guide to Radon)Radon is a radioactive gas that has been confirmed to cause cancers. About 21,000 individuals die each year due to radon exposure. Radon can be found in the ground, water supply, and the air you breathe. It is found in schools, homes, offices, and other buildings. You can purchase a Radon Test Kit and have the sample sent to the state radon office. Research has shown that the risk of lung cancer from breathing radon in air is much greater than the risk of stomach cancer from swallowing water with radon in it. The EPA offers a Consumers Guide to Radon Reduction so you can take action to reduce radon levels in your home, school, or office. Scientists are more certain about radon risks than from most other cancer-causing substances.
Rash from Poisonous Plants PicturePoison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are plants that contain an irritating, oily sap called urushiol. See a picture of Rash from Poisonous Plants and learn more about the health topic.
SalmonellaSalmonella infection (salmonellosis) is typically caused by the consumption of contaminated foods. Symptoms of salmonellosis include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Salmonellosis typically resolves on its own in four to seven days. It's important to increase one's fluid intake to compensate for the fluid lost by vomiting and/or diarrhea.
Summer Skin QuizWhen it comes to summer, there plenty of hazards under the sun! Take the Summer Skin Hazards Quiz and clue in on the dangers to your summer skin!