How do you treat extremely dry hair?
Dull, frizzy and unmanageable hair haunts most of our hair care dreams. When hair is stripped of its moisture and becomes dry, it’s also more vulnerable to tangling, breakage and hair loss. Hair becomes dry due to several factors including
- Using heat too often on your hair for styling
- Excessive use of chemicals on your hair in the form of hair styling products or hair dyes and cleansers
- Shampooing your hair too often or using an anti-dandruff shampoo
- Using blow dryers too often
- Not using a conditioner after you shampoo
- Exposing your hair to harsh weather (such as cold or hot and dry weather, dry wind)
- Bleaching your hair
- Hormonal problems such as hypothyroidism
- A diet deficient in protein and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals)
Although dry and damaged hair is a bother, you can use simple tricks and lifestyle changes to restore your hair. Some of these tricks include
- Make eggs a staple for your hair care routine: Eggs are not just great to eat, they are also beneficial for your hair. Add some egg white to your shampoo and wash your hair with it for a nourishing wash. You can also prepare a hair mask at home using an egg. Crack an egg (both yolk and egg white) into a bowl. Add two teaspoons of yogurt and a teaspoon of honey to it. Mix the ingredients well. Apply this mask to your washed hair. Leave it on for about 30 minutes to one hour and wash your hair. This will make your hair smooth, voluminous and lustrous. Eating an egg daily will help fulfil your daily protein requirement, so include eggs in your diet.
- Give your hair a regular oil massage: Moisturize your scalp with a warm oil massage. It also stimulates the hair follicles to encourage hair growth. Do a gentle oil massage for 30 minutes to one hour before you wash your hair to help repair and prevent damage. You can use oils such as olive oil or coconut oil mixed with a few drops of an essential oil such as tea tree oil and peppermint oil to stimulate your hair follicles.
- Say goodbye to heat styling for your hair: Applying heat to your hair to curl, straighten or dry it can do a lot of damage. Refrain from using heat on your hair in any form. If possible, do not wash your hair with hot water. At least give it a final cold water rinse to lock in moisturizer.
- Apply hair conditioner often: Every time you wash your hair, it loses moisture and oils. Use a conditioner after you shampoo your hair to add moisture and to strengthen your hair. You can use both wash off and leave-in conditioners.
- Use hair serum: Hair serum doesn’t just moisturize your hair, it also protects it from damaging effects of sunlight, heat and dust. Apply a few drops of hair serum to your washed hair while it is still damp and you are good to go.
- Hydrate your hair from within: No matter what you apply to your hair, it is essential to hydrate your body from within. Drink plenty of water and nonalcoholic drinks. Coconut water is a good choice.
- Eat a healthy diet for healthy hair: A diet rich in protein, vitamins and minerals is essential for healthy hair. Some of the food items that you can include in your diet to get healthy hair include eggs, fish, berries, nuts, spinach and other leafy greens, and fruits such as avocados and oranges. Vitamins, minerals and omega-3 fatty acids are vital for healthy hair. You may take over-the-counter multivitamins or ask your doctor about which multivitamins and other supplements you can take for healthy hair. Micronutrients such as biotin, vitamin C and vitamin E can make your hair grow faster and thicker. You may also take omega-3 fatty acid supplements such as fish oil capsules to stimulate hair growth.
- Choose your hair products wisely: The fewer chemicals you expose your hair to, the better it becomes. Chemicals such as sulfates in your shampoo can strip away natural oils and moisture from your hair making it dry, frizzy and brittle. Choose mild and sulfate-free hair products to protect your hair from damage.
- Use a protective hair rinse: Dry brittle hair can be a big problem for swimmers. Use this simple hair rinse before you swim to protect your hair from harm. Add one quarter cup of apple cider vinegar (ACV) to three-fourths of a cup of water and rinse your hair with it. Apply a conditioner afterwards.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top How Do You Treat Extremely Dry Hair Related Articles
Slideshow: DIY Skin and Hair Care for GirlsLearn about DIY skin and hair care for teen girls. Don't let a pimple, bad hair day, or cold sore get in the way of your good looks.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Care SlideshowLooking for the best kept hair secrets? See this hair care guide and get tips about hair that is thin, gray, curly, colored, overprocessed, dandruff-prone, and much more.
How Can I Get Healthy Hair Naturally?Hair has always been a significant aspect of beauty standards. Luscious and shiny locks have been considered ideal beauty for ages. Have you always dreamt of having that bouncy and voluminous hair seen in the advertisements? If so, this dream can turn into reality by following a proper hair care routine.
How Can I Make My Hair Grow Superfast?You will hardly come across any person who does not want thick hair. No wonder, there are so many hair-care products, such as shampoos, oils, serums, and even supplements, in the market that claim to reduce your hair fall and promise you beautiful and thick hair.
How Can I Make My Hair Soft and Silky?The signs of healthy hair include thick, soft, and shiny hair. Having silky hair is something not every person is born with. Your hair may become dry and brittle if your diet is not healthy or if you use hair products that are not meant for your hair type.
How Do You Get Rid of Flyaway Hair?Flyaway hair or frizzy hair is a common hair problem. You can use lip balm, hand lotion, static guard spray and olive oil to tame frizzy hair. You can also use jojoba oil, coconut oil, tea, avocados, egg whites, apple cider vinegar, bananas and yogurt to prevent and treat frizzy hair.
How Long Do Hair Supplements Take to Work?Hair growth vitamins or herbal supplements are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. Taking hair growth supplements does not produce results overnight; it usually takes a long time (one to five years) to see results.
Is Auburn Hair Natural?Red hair varies from deep burgundy to bright copper, auburn, reddish-orange, burnt orange and strawberry blond. Auburn or red hair can be natural.
Is It Safe to Bleach Already Bleached Hair?Oxidized melanin loses its color, making the hair look lighter. Bleaching significantly damages your hair. Whether you should rebleach your bleached hair depends on the health of your hair before and after bleaching.
Foods for Healthy HairTop foods for healthy hair include salmon, green vegetables, beans, nuts, poultry, eggs, whole grains, oysters, low-fat dairy products, and carrots. Foods for healthy hair supply protein, healthy fats, and vitamins and minerals.
What Are the Best Ways to Get Thicker Hair?Hair loss and damage can occur due to genetic tendency for baldness, hormones (pregnancy), medications (cancer medication) and other medical illnesses (stress, thyroid disease or autoimmune diseases). Home remedies for thicker hair include massaging the scalp with oil, using minoxidil, applying hair masks or aloe vera, eating a balanced diet or taking hair growth supplements and nutrients.
What Are the Four Types of Hair?Hair type and texture are determined by several factors including genetics. There are four main types of hair texture: Type 1 - straight, Type 2 - wavy, Type 3 - curly and Type 4 - tightly curled.
What Is a Clarifying Shampoo?A clarifying shampoo is a shampoo that helps get rid of buildup in your hair. The buildup may be due to the residue left by your daily shampoos, chlorinated water during swimming, coloring treatments, oils, dust and other chemical treatments on your hair.