8 ways to stop your scalp from itching with braids
Most African women choose to do braids because it requires less maintenance and represents their culture and personal style preference. However, braids can be a troublemaker if not maintained well.
- Loosen up the braids: Do not be under the impression the tighter the braids, the long-lasting they would be. Always braid with the correct tension to avoid itching, headaches, and hair loss.
- Use a gentle shampoo: Shampoo braids two times a week to avoid the buildup of dirt and grease. Use mild shampoos to prevent drying of the hair.
- Conditioning the hair: Nourishing is the key to a healthy braid. Condition the braids after shampooing to lock in the moisture. Gently massage the conditioner in circular motions to avoid scalp dryness.
- Apple cider vinegar rinse: For hair extensions, soak it in apple cider vinegar before installation. Make an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse by mixing half water and half ACV. If there are no extensions, spray this solution several times a week. Leave it on or rinse it off once it dries.
- Medicated shampoo: Shampoos with coal tar as an active ingredient can be suitable if a person has excessive itching. To prevent scalp dryness, use a conditioner after shampooing.
- Moisturizing hair with oils: For extremely dry hair, applying jojoba or coconut oil would be an ideal option. Apply a few drops of oil onto damp hair and leave it on for a few minutes. Wash out the oil with a shampoo and conditioner. Avoid blow-drying to dry out the hair. Adding essential oil to the carrier oil, such as coconut or olive oil, and applying it to the hair can prevent dryness.
- Never leave your braids for too long: Avoid leaving your braids for too long because they can irritate the scalp. Before donning the next braid, give the hair a break to prevent irritation and hair thinning.
- Use scalp serums: Serums containing urea and ceramide balance the scalp pH and avoid drying and itching. Apply serums daily so that scalp is not irritated.
8 tips to maintain braided hair
Here are some tips for the proper maintenance of braided hair:
- Maintain enough space between the braids
- Apply shampoo between the braids and massage the scalp lightly
- Apply mild shampoo and rinse with running water
- Dry your hair naturally and avoid the use of a blow dryer
- Apply the correct tension to braid the hair; braiding too tightly can cause headaches and hair loss
- Use synthetic or human hair appliques to the natural hair to add volume to it or increase hair length
- Never cut braids or extensions
- Always avoid drying of the scalp
7 complications associated with braided hair
Some studies have reported that the use of braids can cause the following complications:
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Tanus A, Oliveira CC, Villarreal DJ, Sanchez FA, Dias MF. Black women's hair: the main scalp dermatoses and aesthetic practices in women of African ethnicity. An Bras Dermatol. 2015;90(4):450-465. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4560533/
Top How Do You Stop Your Scalp From Itching With Braid Related Articles
Slideshow: DIY Skin and Hair Care for GirlsLearn about DIY skin and hair care for teen girls. Don't let a pimple, bad hair day, or cold sore get in the way of your good looks.
Do I Have Dandruff or a Dry Scalp?What is the difference between dandruff and a dry scalp?
15 Gray Hair Causes and FixesWhat causes gray hair, and what does it say about your health? Is it stress? Genetics? Medications? Learn how to remove gray hair, why some people go gray sooner than others, and find what hairstyles and dyes help you look younger. When you want to show off your natural gray, discover what shampoo gives you a shiny, silver look.
How Can I Make My Hair Soft and Silky?The signs of healthy hair include thick, soft, and shiny hair. Having silky hair is something not every person is born with. Your hair may become dry and brittle if your diet is not healthy or if you use hair products that are not meant for your hair type.
How Do I Stop My Scalp From Itching in the Winter?Different ways to stop an itchy scalp in winter include home remedies, medicated shampoos, and improving household humidity levels.
How Do You Treat Extremely Dry Hair?Dull, frizzy and unmanageable hair haunts most of our hair care dreams. When hair is stripped of its moisture and becomes dry, it’s also more vulnerable to tangling, breakage and hair loss. You can apply oil, conditioner and hair serum to treat dry hair. Ditching heat styling helps dry hair. So does eating a healthy diet and staying hydrated.
How Do You Treat Ringworm on the Scalp?Ringworm is contagious and the fungus that causes it can affect your skin in different places on your body. Learn what medical treatments can help ease your ringworm on the scalp symptoms and speed up your recovery.
Psoriasis of the Scalp PictureThe scalp may have fine, dry, scaly skin or have heavily crusted plaque areas. See a picture of Psoriasis of the Scalp and learn more about the health topic.
Scalp Psoriasis (Psoriasis of the Scalp)Scalp psoriasis causes red, raised, scaly patches that may extend from the scalp to the forehead and the back of the neck and ears. Symptoms and signs include itching, hair loss, flaking, silvery scales, and red plaques. Treatment includes topical medicated shampoos, creams, gels, oils, ointments, and soaps, medications, and light therapy.
Foods for Healthy HairTop foods for healthy hair include salmon, green vegetables, beans, nuts, poultry, eggs, whole grains, oysters, low-fat dairy products, and carrots. Foods for healthy hair supply protein, healthy fats, and vitamins and minerals.
Surprising Reasons Your Hair Is Falling OutSeeing clumps of hair in your brush every time you groom your tresses? Find out what might be behind your locks loss.
What Deficiency Causes Scalp Psoriasis?Scientific studies have reported a possible link between vitamin D deficiency and psoriasis, including scalp psoriasis.
Why Am I Getting Pimples on My Scalp?Getting pimples on the scalp is a common but irritating problem. Learn the reasons for pimples on the scalp, how to treat pimples on the scalp, and how to keep pimples on the scalp from coming back.
Why Do I Have Scabs on My Scalp?Scabs on your scalp can be caused by dandruff, lice, and other dry scalp conditions. Learn about 14 possible reasons why your scalp is scabbing.
Why Does My Scalp Itch Like Crazy?Dealing with an itchy scalp can be frustrating. Here are 10 potential reasons your scalp is itchy and what you can do about it.