Fordyce spots are harmless, small, slightly elevated, yellowish, or white papules that appear on the underarm area, pubic area, or around the nipples. Fordyce spots may also appear inside the cheeks and on the border of the lips. Fordyce spots are characterized by intense itching, dark, and dry skin. These spots are naturally present in our bodies that enlarge with age. Hormonal changes combined with oily skin may be the causative factors. Fordyce spots can look unpleasant and can have an impact on your overall appearance. If you are unhappy with your appearance, there are several treatments to get rid of Fordyce spots, including natural remedies and other medical treatments. If you wish to get rid of Fordyce spots quickly, the physician may prescribe the following treatments:
- Laser treatments: This method uses a CO2 laser to remove the spots.
- Cryotherapy: It involves freezing the spot by applying liquid nitrogen.
- Photodynamic therapy: This therapy uses a combination of a special blend of medicine and light therapy.
- Surgical excisions: It involves removal of the spots with the help of surgery.
- Topical treatments: Application of topical creams that contain trichloroacetic acid, topical Tretinoin, and oral Isotretinoin may help to shrink or remove Fordyce spots. Tretinoin and Isotretinoin (retinoids) are considered unsafe during pregnancy. You must tell your doctor if you are pregnant so they may prescribe accordingly.
Some of the natural remedies that may help remove Fordyce spots include:
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has antimicrobial properties along with astringent properties. The astringent properties of the apple cider vinegar help to control the excess oil production. Mix ACV and water in equal proportions and apply on the spots twice a week.
- Garlic: It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that help to eradicate bacteria from the bloodstream. Consuming garlic daily may help to destroy the bacterias and maintain oral hygiene. For this, take crushed garlic cloves and blend them with water. Add lemon juice for flavor.
- Coconut oil: Dry and dehydrated skin can result in excess secretion of sebum. Coconut oil can be used as a moisturizer to treat dry skin and prevent excess sebum production. Apply coconut oil directly to the spot or mix with lavender oil to apply.
- Jojoba oil or argan oil: Argan and jojoba oil are rich in Vitamin E. Vitamin E is effective against various skin infections or skin conditions. Mixing both these oils and applying them on the spot may be helpful to treat Fordyce spots.
There is no direct scientific evidence to prove the efficacy of these natural remedies to treat Fordyce spots; hence, always consult a doctor before trying out these remedies. Several other medical conditions including sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) may mimic Fordyce spots. Thus, you must consult a dermatologist for a definitive diagnosis.
How to take care of the Fordyce spots?
You can follow these measures to take care of the Fordyce spots:
- Avoid scratching the area to prevent worsening of the situation
- Avoid using any chemicals to treat spots
- Avoid greasy creams because they can further obstruct the sebum glands
- Avoiding excessive heat, humidity, or stress help some people
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Ngan V. Fordyce Spots. DermNet New Zealand Trust. https://dermnetnz.org/topics/Fordyce-spots/
British Association of Dermatologists. Fox-Fordyce Disease.
http://www.skinsupport.org.uk/conditions-details/fox-Fordyce-disease Bayan L, Koulivand PH, Gorji A. Garlic: A Review of Potential Therapeutic Effects. Avicenna J Phytomed. 2014;4(1):1-14. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4103721/
Yagnik D, Serafin V, J Shah A. Antimicrobial Activity of Apple Cider Vinegar Against Escherichia Coli, Staphylococcus Aureus And Candida Albicans; Downregulating Cytokine and Microbial Protein Expression. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):1732. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5788933/
Pazyar N, Yaghoobi R, Ghassemi MR, et al. Jojoba in Dermatology: A Succinct Review. G Ital Dermatol Venereol. 2013 Dec;148(6):687-91. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24442052/
Top How Do You Get Rid of Fordyce Spots? Related Articles
20 Benefits of Drinking Apple Cider VinegarBy now you have probably heard about some of the health benefits or uses for apple cider vinegar. More and more people are discovering it's multipurpose benefits and using it as a one-stop-shop for daily needs. Here are 20 uses for apple cider vinegar (ACV) that will inspire you to incorporate it into your daily routine too.
Baby Skin Care: Tips to Keep Newborn’s Skin HealthyBaby skin care products can help with peeling, rashes, baby acne, and dryness that can develop on a newborn baby's skin. Develop a baby skin care routine to pamper your baby’s skin.
Can Scars Be Removed by Laser?You cannot get rid of a scar with laser treatment. However, laser treatment can make a scar less noticeable. Laser treatment for a scar can be considered as an approach to replace one scar with a less visible scar. The treatment involves using a focused light (laser) to either remove the outer layer of skin or stimulate the production of new skin cells to cover the scarred or damaged skin cells.
Cosmetics SlidshowTake this quiz and test your skin savvy on makeup, mascara, and other cosmetic skincare beauty products.
CryotherapyCryotherapy, sometimes referred to as cryosurgery, is a pain treatment procedure that uses a method of localized freezing temperatures to deaden an irritated nerve. Cryotherapy can be used to treat nerve irritation between the ribs (intercostal neuralgia), cluneal nerve entrapment, ilioinguinal neuroma, hypogastric neuromas, lateral femoral cutaneous nerve entrapment, and interdigital neuromas, nerve entrapment (pinched nerves), and neuromas.
Fordyce's Condition PictureThe face abounds in sebaceous glands. Normally their distribution stops sharply at the junction of the skin and vermilion of the lips. See a picture of Fordyce's Condition and learn more about the health topic.
How Much Does It Cost for Laser Skin Resurfacing?Laser resurfacing is a procedure that removes layers of the skin and improves its appearance or treats minor facial flaws such as blemishes or acne scars by using lasers.
Is It Okay to Eat a Raw Garlic Clove?It is safe to eat a clove of garlic as long as you are not allergic to it. However, you must be aware that it has a strong pungent smell that may give you garlicky breath. Also, having a large amount of garlic at once may give you a burning sensation inside the mouth, heartburn, gases, and loose motions.
Is Laser Resurfacing Permanent?Laser resurfacing does not have permanent results. Many people notice immediate results on their skin. This may continue to get better for up to a year. With changes to the skin because of aging, new wrinkles and expression lines appear. Thus, as per your need, you may need a laser resurfacing again.
Photodynamic TherapyPhotodynamic therapy (PDT) is a procedure that treats precancerous cells, in addition to other types of cancer cells. The medical treatment does this with the help of a photosensitizing drug and a light source that activates the applied drug, destroying cancer cells. PDT is approved to treat non-small cell lung cancer, esophageal cancer, and Barrett's esophagus. It treats actinic keratosis, as well as acne, rosacea, skin cancer, sun damage, oily skin, wrinkles, warts, psoriasis, and enlarged sebaceous glands.
The Skin (Human Anatomy): Picture, Definition, Function and Skin ConditionsThe skin is the largest organ in the body that covers the entire external surface. It protects the internal organs from germs and thus helps prevent infections. The skin is made up of three main layers.
Kids' Skin ProblemsWhat are the most common skin rashes in children? Learn about childhood eczema, ring worm, chicken pox and more. Get the facts on treatment for childhood skin problems.
What Are the Side Effects of Cryotherapy?Treating a medical condition, such as cancer, with extreme cold to freeze the abnormal cells is called cryotherapy. The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved cryotherapy as a safe and effective to treat any medical conditions.
What is YAG laser capsulotomy?Neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet (Nd:YAG) laser capsulotomy is a relatively noninvasive procedure that is used in the treatment of posterior capsular opacification in the eye. The procedure is performed by an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon). It is a short procedure, performed under local anesthesia, and on an out-patient basis.
Skin & Your HealthSkin problems are often the first signs of serious underlying health problems. Diabetes, lupus, hepatitis C and lung cancer are all illnesses that can relate to various skin disorders.