How do you get rid of flyaway hair?
Flyaway hair or frizzy hair is a common hair problem. Frizzy hair is annoying, especially when you have an event to attend and you’ve spent hours creating a perfect hairdo. Frizzy hair is shorter, thinner and hard to control and style. Some of the main reasons for frizzy hair include
- Hair breakage
- Hair damaged from too much heat styling
- A rough hair shaft
- Static or arid weather
If frizzy hair bothers you, here are some quick fixes to get rid of it
- Lip balm: Take a bit of non-waxy balm such as petroleum jelly on your fingertips and apply it to the flyway hair to smooth it down.
- Hand lotion: Like lip balm, you can also apply a bit of hand lotion to tame kinky hair.
- Toothbrush: Spray a toothbrush lightly with hair spray and use it to smooth down frizzy hair.
- Olive oil: Place two to three drops of olive oil into the palm of your hand. Rub your hands together and then use them to smooth down unmanageable strands. This will also make your hair shiny.
- Static guard spray: This product can stop static cling.
Some of the preventive measures to reduce frizzy hair include
- Remove tangles gently before going to bed.
- Avoid daily shampooing because it strips moisture from your hair.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Comb your hair gently to prevent unnecessary breakage. Detangle your hair gently from the ends up using a wide-toothed comb.
- Towel dry your hair gently to prevent breakage.
- Heat style your hair no more than once a week to avoid damaging your hair.
Some of the ingredients or recipes that would help to reduce frizz include
- Moisturizing hair with oils: For super frizzy hair, jojoba or coconut oil would be the ideal option. Apply a few drops of oil onto damp hair and leave it on for a few minutes. Wash the oil off with shampoo and use conditioner after. Avoid blow drying to prevent flyaway hair.
- Applying a honey and olive oil hair mask: Prepare a hair mask by mixing equal parts of honey and olive oil. Apply this mask evenly throughout your hair and wrap it in plastic wrap for 30 minutes. Wash it off with shampoo and use conditioner after. Use this mask at least once a month or every week, if possible.
- Using a tea rinse: Tea acts as a hair color enhancer and adds luster to the hair. Use unsweetened black tea as a hair rinse after regular shampooing. Brunettes should use black tea, whereas blondes should use chamomile tea.
- Using an avocado mask: Avocados are rich in minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids. Mix a ripe mashed avocado with an egg to make a smooth paste. Apply this mask onto wet hair and leave it on for 20 minutes before washing it off with cold water. For extremely frizzy or brittle hair, use this mask weekly. For normal hair, use this mixture once a month to enhance or maintain the luster and strength of hair.
- Applying an egg white and apple cider vinegar (ACV) mask: Mix three egg whites, two tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of ACV to make a liquid mixture. Apply this mixture evenly throughout the hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Wash it off with shampoo and use conditioner after. This mask brings life to damaged or unruly hair.
- Applying a yogurt and oil mask: Yogurt mixed with oil would be an ideal option for frizzy hair. Combine half a cup of yogurt with two tablespoons of olive oil and six drops of essential oil and mix it thoroughly. Apply this mask onto shampooed hair and leave it on for 20 minutes. Rinse your hair after with warm water.
- Using a banana mask: Bananas have a high moisture content and are rich in potassium. The potassium content makes them optimal for frizzy hair treatment. Mash one banana and apply it evenly throughout the hair from roots to ends. Leave it on for an hour and rinse it off with lukewarm water. A banana mask is ideal to prevent split ends, soften the hair and improve its elasticity.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top How Do You Get Rid of Flyaway Hair Related Articles
Teen Girls Beauty TipsLearn about DIY skin and hair care for teen girls. Don't let a pimple, bad hair day, or cold sore get in the way of your good looks.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Care SlideshowLooking for the best kept hair secrets? See this hair care guide and get tips about hair that is thin, gray, curly, colored, overprocessed, dandruff-prone, and much more.
How Can I Get Healthy Hair Naturally?Hair has always been a significant aspect of beauty standards. Luscious and shiny locks have been considered ideal beauty for ages. Have you always dreamt of having that bouncy and voluminous hair seen in the advertisements? If so, this dream can turn into reality by following a proper hair care routine.
How Can I Make My Hair Soft and Silky?The signs of healthy hair include thick, soft, and shiny hair. Having silky hair is something not every person is born with. Your hair may become dry and brittle if your diet is not healthy or if you use hair products that are not meant for your hair type.
How Do I Make My Hair Shiny?A good hair day is one less thing to worry about! Everyone pines for a healthy and shiny mane, resorting to many of the over the counter hair care products that claim to make your hair shiny, smooth, and silky. Of course, you cannot ignore the shampoos and conditioners, but make sure you choose them as per your hair type.
How Do I Stop My Hair From Breaking Off?Hair loss and hair damage can occur due to improper combing practices, hormones (pregnancy and childbirth), medications (cancer medication), and other medical illnesses (stress, thyroid disease, or autoimmune diseases).
How Do You Treat Dry Damaged Hair at Home?Dry and frizzy hair is the most common problem faced by women across the world. Harsh winters and chemical products for hair and heat styling can be the culprits in damaging the hair. To check for the moisture content of the hair, take a dry strand of hair and gently pull both ends to stretch it.
How Do You Treat Extremely Dry Hair?Dull, frizzy and unmanageable hair haunts most of our hair care dreams. When hair is stripped of its moisture and becomes dry, it’s also more vulnerable to tangling, breakage and hair loss. You can apply oil, conditioner and hair serum to treat dry hair. Ditching heat styling helps dry hair. So does eating a healthy diet and staying hydrated.
How Long Do Hair Supplements Take to Work?Hair growth vitamins or herbal supplements are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. Taking hair growth supplements does not produce results overnight; it usually takes a long time (one to five years) to see results.
What Are the Best Ways to Get Thicker Hair?Hair loss and damage can occur due to genetic tendency for baldness, hormones (pregnancy), medications (cancer medication) and other medical illnesses (stress, thyroid disease or autoimmune diseases). Home remedies for thicker hair include massaging the scalp with oil, using minoxidil, applying hair masks or aloe vera, eating a balanced diet or taking hair growth supplements and nutrients.
What Are the Four Types of Hair?Hair type and texture are determined by several factors including genetics. There are four main types of hair texture: Type 1 - straight, Type 2 - wavy, Type 3 - curly and Type 4 - tightly curled.
What Is a Clarifying Shampoo?A clarifying shampoo is a shampoo that helps get rid of buildup in your hair. The buildup may be due to the residue left by your daily shampoos, chlorinated water during swimming, coloring treatments, oils, dust and other chemical treatments on your hair.