How do you get rid of acne scars overnight?
Acne breakouts are common and quite frustrating. They may leave scars on the face and can trigger anxiety in teens and adults. Professional treatment of acne scars has shown excellent results but needs six to eight weeks to work.
If you want radiant skin, a regular skincare routine is key. This must be coupled with a healthy diet, a good exercise regimen, and stress relief techniques to avoid acne in the first place and eventually achieve clear and healthy skin.
Below are a few common ways to get rid of acne scars. These will take time to work, so you must be regular and diligent in their application. Always do a patch test behind your earlobe to check if you are allergic to any of these ingredients.
- Honey and cinnamon paste have been shown to reduce acne. Apart from being antibacterial, these ingredients reduce inflammation and redness. To prepare this mask, you need to mix two tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon. Apply the paste after cleaning your face. Rinse the mask off after 20 minutes.
- Green tea has antioxidants, flavonoids, and tannins, which can effectively fight against acne-causing bacteria and reduce inflammation. Also, applying green tea to the skin can reduce excessive sebum production and inhibit the growth of acne-causing bacteria. You can use a cotton ball to apply green tea to the affected area. Drinking it regularly can prevent the occurrence of acne.
- Applying aloe vera gel on the acne-affected area and leaving it on overnight can kill off harmful bacteria and reduce inflammation. It can also increase blood flow to your skin and make it glow. Aloe vera gel is known to have wound healing properties.
- A 50:50 solution of apple cider vinegar and water has strong antibacterial properties that help get rid of acne. It contains organic acids like succinic acids that kill acne-causing bacteria (Cutibacterium acnes) and suppress inflammation. Also, lactic acids present in apple cider vinegar can fade the appearance of acne scars.
- Applying face wash or lotion containing AHAs and BHAs causes mild exfoliation and exposes fresh skin underneath. Regular use of AHA and BHA on the face can reduce the appearance of scars and uneven pigmentation.
- Skin peels and serums containing vitamin C have a lightening effect on acne scars in about three weeks. These products are available over-the-counter (OTC) in pharmacies.
- Cocoa butter works as a great moisturizer. It has lightening properties, which help fade acne scars and lighten skin tone. Take some cocoa butter and apply it evenly on your face. Leave it on overnight and rinse it off the next morning.
- Rosewater helps soften scar tissue and lighten scars by regenerating skin cells. Use rose water daily for better results.
- Almond oil is rich in vitamin E and fatty acids. It moisturizes and heals scar tissue. Apply almond oil directly to scars.
- Cucumber is a wonderful natural ingredient to treat acne scars because it contains various vitamins and minerals like magnesium, which are beneficial to the skin. Cucumber reduces the appearance of scars and reduces inflammation. It heals and soothes the skin.
- Tea tree oil is antibacterial and fights acne breakouts, inflammation and scars. It also reduces redness.
- Apart from the above, coconut oil, vitamin E, shea butter, grape seed extract, ice packs and lemon juice may effectively lighten the acne scars on the face.
How do you get rid of severe acne scars?
The most effective treatments to get rid of severe acne scars include
- Chemical peels: This involves the use of strong chemicals (acids) to remove the outer layer of the skin and reduce the appearance of scars. Some salicylic acid, glycolic acid containing peels are available OTC.
- Botox injections: These are highly effective for acne scars with puckered skin around them. These puckered areas can be treated with botulinum toxin (Botox) injections to improve the appearance of skin.
- Dermabrasion: The procedure involves the removal of the top, damaged layer of skin with a rapidly rotating wire brush or wheel with a rough surface. The procedure deeply exfoliates the top layer of skin to reduce the appearance of deeper scars.
- Microneedling: This uses a small, handheld pen or needle-studded roller to puncture the skin on the surface of the scars. As the punctured skin heals, it makes collagen and reduces the visibility of acne scars by smoothing out the skin.
- Laser resurfacing: The procedure involves removing the top layer of skin to reveal younger underlying skin cells to reduce the appearance of scars. It creates a more even skin surface.
Speak with a dermatologist to determine the best treatment for your acne scars.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology
Top How Do You Get Rid of Acne Scars Overnight Related Articles
How to Get Clear Skin: 15 Proven Tips for Fighting AcneAcne is the most common skin problem that affects more than 80% of people at some point in their life. If not treated properly, it can lead to scars and dark marks on the skin which might take longer to go away.
Acne (Pimples)Acne is a localized skin inflammation as a result of overactivity of oil glands at the base of hair follicles. This inflammation, depending on its location, can take the form of a superficial pustule (contains pus), a pimple, a deeper cyst, congested pores, whiteheads, or blackheads. Treatments vary depending on the severity of the acne.
Acne PictureExactly what causes acne? Acne develops when cells and natural oils begin to block up tiny hair follicles in the skin. See a picture of Acne and learn more about the health topic.
Acne QuizAcne is the most common skin disorder in the world. If you suffer from acne, you are not alone and many treatment options are available. Learn more about pimples, blackheads, and comedones with the Acne Quiz.
How to Get Rid of AcneWhat is the best treatment for acne vulgaris? Can food choices influence acne? How can you get rid of blackheads? Learn why it's a bad idea to pop pimples, how pimples form on the face, arms, chest, back, and legs, and what to do with painful cysts, ice pick scars, and acne mechanica.
Dealing with Adult AcneAdult acne causes include hormones, medications, makeup, and other things. Adult acne is treated with medications, products, face washes, and home remedies. Use a skin care regimen provided by your dermatologist to treat adult acne.
Alzheimer's DiseaseAlzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss, difficulty performing familiar tasks, disorientation to time and place, misplacing things, and more. The biggest risk factor for Alzheimer's disease is increased age. Treatment for Alzheimer's is often targeted toward decreasing the symptoms and progression of the disease.
Hidradenitis Suppurativa (Acne Inversa)Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS or acne inversa) is a chronic skin condition that causes painful red abscesses in the groin and armpits that may drain foul-smelling pus. Treatment options include weight loss, smoking cessation, topical antibiotics, and avoidance of tight-fitting underwear. Finasteride and adalimumab may be helpful for those with resistant cases of HS.
How Do I Get Rid of a Pimple on My Nose Fast?Learn what medical treatments can help treat a pimple on your nose and help you manage future breakouts.
How Do You Get Rid of Acne Scars Naturally?Approximately 80% of people between the ages of 11 and 30 years old have acne due to hormonal changes, stress, menses, oil-based cosmetics or birth control pills. A variety of remedies including tea tree oil, coconut oil, honey and other substances may help get rid of acne scars naturally. The dermatologist has prescription treatments and procedures to reduce the appearance of acne scars.
How Do You Make Pimples Go Away Fast?Learn what medical treatments can help ease your pimples symptoms and speed up your pimple recovery.
How Do You Treat Cystic Acne?Whether you get occasional whiteheads or persistent pimples, acne can be painful and frustrating. Luckily, most acne breakouts will clear up on their own. Cystic acne is different. Learn what medical treatments can help ease your cystic acne symptoms and speed up your recovery.
Natural Remedies for Acne ScarsWhat are acne scars? Learn how to treat acne scars and get rid of acne scars naturally.
Acne Cover-upsExplore quick acne cover-ups, dos and don'ts. See solutions on how to best handle pesky pimples and remedies to avoid.
15 Tips for Clear SkinAcne, pimples, zits and blemishes often appear on the face, back, chest, neck, and shoulders where skin has the most amount of oil glands. Few of us are immune to breakouts, but treatments can minimize outbreaks. Follow these 15 tips for a clear complexion and skin.
What Is Best for Acne Treatment?The best treatment depends upon the cause of acne and associated factors, such as your age and severity of acne. The treatment options for acne include Lifestyle management, topical (externally applied) antibiotic medications, topical retinoids, oral medications, light treatments, chemical peels, and topical tea tree oil.