The exact reason why you might get liver cancer is unknown. Chronic liver disease is often associated with primary liver cancer (cancer that starts in the liver). Read more: How Do You Get Liver Cancer? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Liver Health: 14 Best and Worst Foods for Your Liver
Get some simple diet tips to keep your liver healthy, including the best veggies to keep disease away and some snacks you'll want...
Hepatitis: Surprising Things That Can Damage Your Liver
Alcohol and acetaminophen are well-known liver dangers, but what else can be harmful? WebMD says some of them may surprise you.
Fatty Liver Disease: Nonalcoholic, Alcoholic Symptoms and Treatment
You can treat fatty liver disease with diet and exercise. Learn the signs and symptoms of fatty liver disease, whether it is...
Cancer-Fighting Foods: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Cancer: Does This Cause Cancer?
Everything gives you cancer, right? Not really. WebMD's slide show tells you about the research into cancer and cell phones,...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Cancer: Cancer 'Remedies' That Don't Work
You may have read about an all-natural cure for cancer. While many therapies are helpful, some aren't worth your time or money....
What Are the Top 11 Cancer-Fighting Foods?
Foods that fight cancer include phytochemicals, berries, turmeric, onions, and more. Learn how you can lower your risk of...
Related Disease Conditions
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and is not contagious. Cancer can be treated through chemotherapy, a treatment of drugs that destroy cancer cells.
What Are Signs That Your Liver Is Not Functioning Properly?
Liver pain can be a sign that you have a serious health problem like cirrhosis or liver cancer. Find out more about what could be causing your liver pain and how to treat it. Patients may have worsening symptoms of chronic liver disease or cirrhosis, which often precedes the development of cancer of the liver.
Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver cancer often arises due to liver damage, cirrhosis (scarring) caused by alcohol use/abuse, hepatitis B, or hepatitis C. Liver cancer may not cause any symptoms. Liver cancer is diagnosed with blood tests, imaging tests, and a liver biopsy. Treatment for liver cancer may include surgery, ablation, embolization, radiation, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy.
Second Source article from Government
Can Liver Cancer Be Detected by a Blood Test?
Liver cancer is not detected by blood tests alone. Certain substances present in the blood called the blood markers may be elevated in patients with liver cancer. Raised levels of a tumor marker called alpha fetoprotein (AFP) can indicate diseases of the liver, including liver cancer.
What Does Pain From Liver Cancer Feel Like?
Liver cancer may not cause any signs or symptoms in its initial stages. When the cancer begins to show its signs and symptoms, you may feel pain in the abdomen, particularly at the top right.
Pain From Liver Cancer
Patients suffering from liver cancer usually complain of a throbbing or stabbing sensation in the upper right side of the abdomen or the back of the shoulder. There may or may not be a swelling that doesn’t subside. The pain may be severe; it is graded 7/10 in intensity. Some patients may not have any symptoms in the early stages of liver cancer.
How Is Liver Cancer Usually Diagnosed?
The liver is the second largest organ (the first being the skin) in the human body. One blood test used to help diagnose liver cancer is the tumor marker alpha-fetoprotein (AFP), but it is not specific to liver cancer.
What Is the Main Cause of Liver Cancer?
The exact cause of liver cancer is not known. Researchers have revealed that liver cancer occurs when the cells in the liver grow uncontrollably because of an abnormal change in their genetic material (mutation).
Where Is the Pain With Liver Cancer?
A patient with liver cancer usually complains of pain in the right abdomen, lower back or shoulder. They complain of throbbing or stabbing pain that does not subside. Usually, the patient also has pain in the right side of the abdomen. Pain may be severe at 7/10 in intensity. Pain and other symptoms only develop in the later stages.
Is There Pain With Liver Cancer?
Yes, there is pain with liver cancer, but it usually does not appear in the early stages. A tumor that is large enough to press on the nearby structures or spread to the adjoining organs can cause pain. You will experience pain in the right upper part of the abdomen, in the right shoulder blade, or the back. The pain may be dull, throbbing, or stabbing in nature.
Liver Cancer (Hepatocellular Cancer) Prevention
Avoiding certain risk factors (such as hepatitis B and C, cirrhosis, and aflatoxin) can lower one's risk of developing liver cancer. Getting the hepatitis B vaccine is a protective factor against liver cancer.
What Are the Symptoms of Stage I Liver Cancer?
Liver cancer, hepatic cancer or hepatocellular cancer (HCC) is a cancer that begins in the liver. Normal liver cells become abnormal in appearance and behavior and grow out of control.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Liver Cancer
- Cancer: Living Well Despite with Win Boerckel
- Cancer: Confronting Cancer with Humor
- Cancer Survival and Attitude with Hamilton Jordan
- Cancer and Green Tea
- Cancer: Journaling to Save Your Life
- Nutrition: Fighting Cancer With Food
- Cancer Pain Management with Ann Reiner
- Cancer Patients Need Proper Diet and Exercise
- Cancer: Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Cancer Research: Going the Distance
- Cancer FAQs
- What Is the Number One Cause of Cancer?
- Cancer Care in the Elderly
- Chronic Viral Hepatitis, Alcoholism, Cirrhosis Linked to Liver Cancer
- Cancer Survivor?
- Can a CAT Scan Falsely Diagnose Liver Cancer?
- Does Hepatitis B Cause Liver Cancer?
- Liver Cancer Diagnosis
- Liver Cancer Treatment
- Cancer Prevention: The Anticancer Diet
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Do Sugary Drinks Increase Liver Cancer Risk?
- Alcohol Tied to 740,000 Cancer Cases Worldwide in 2020
- New Blood Test May Improve Liver Cancer Screening
- Does Aspirin Help Prevent Liver Cancer?
- Stivarga Approved for Liver Cancer
- Study Links Coffee to Lower Liver Cancer Risk
- Type 2 Diabetes Might Raise Risk of Liver Cancer
- Study: Coffee Might Lower Risk of Liver Cancer
- Researchers Identify Liver Cancer Risk Factors
- Clues to Preventing Return of Liver Cancer
- Liver Cancer Patients May Get Hope
- Liver Cancer Pill Extends Lives
- 15 Cancer Symptoms Men Ignore
- 15 Cancer Symptoms Women Ignore
- Cancer-Fighting Foods
- Antioxidants and Cancer Prevention
- Artificial Sweeteners - Cancer Facts
- Cancer Causing Agents - Carcinogens
- Cancer: Exploring the Alternatives
- Cancer: Dealing With Cancer
- Cancer: Diagnosed With Cancer
- Cancer Again
- Cancer: Living With Cancer
- Cancer Control Month
- Cancer: Surviving Cancer: Now What?
- Cancer Prevention and Garlic
- Cancer Prevention and Red Wine
- Cancer Prevention and Tea