Exercise can help obtain a flat abdomen and reduce overall weight; however, not everyone can perform intensive workouts due to various reasons. Therefore, anyone can achieve good results by reducing abdominal fat with some dietary modifications.
All good things, including achieving a healthy weight, need hard work and persistence. Besides diet, you need to perform physical activities consistently. Just 30 minutes of exercise five times a week can make a great difference. Take small steps toward better health.
14 ways to get a flat stomach
- Increase fluid intake
- Dehydration can lead to the slowing of metabolism which may lead to extra pounds around the stomach. Intake of sufficient water and other fluids per day keeps you well hydrated. This may make you less hungry.
- Water flushes out waste products and toxins from the body.
- Reduce sugar intake
- Excess sugar levels in the body are converted into fat and are accumulated in the tissues. This increases overall weight and even high blood sugars increase the accumulation of fat around the abdomen.
- Reduce intake of sweet foods, such as sugar candy, gummy bears, and chocolate high in sugar content.
- Reduce salt intake
- Salt can cause water retention, which can make your stomach appear bloated.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advises limiting sodium intake to fewer than 2,300 mg per day or about one teaspoon.
- Processed foods contain high sodium content and should be avoided, such as:
- Ready to eat meals
- Deli meats
- Canned food
- Increase fiber intake
- Fiber keeps you fuller for longer, which helps prevent overeating and reduces overall calorie intake.
- Fiber slows fat digestion and absorption. This helps reduce fat accumulation in the body, including the abdomen.
- Cut down on processed grains
- Processed carbohydrates, such as white bread and pasta, digest faster and are swiftly transformed into sugar and eventually fat.
- By consuming highly processed grain items regularly, you are more likely to gain body fat. Consume whole grains instead to get more fiber and nutrients.
- Increase intake of fruits
- Most fruits are high in fiber and can help you feel fuller throughout the day, reducing the need for frequent snacking.
- Berries are abundant in antioxidants, such as quercetin, which can reduce inflammation and bloating.
- Make a breakfast smoothie with healthful fruits, such as bananas or blueberries.
- Half an avocado has 10 grams of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs), which help prevent blood sugar surges.
- High blood sugars can make your body store fat around your abdomen.
- Cut down on soda
- Remain stress-free
- It is important to do some activities that keep you stress-free. Because stress produces more steroids and stress hormones that negatively influence your body and digestive system.
- Overeating is often seen with high-stress levels and causes weight gain.
- The stress hormones cortisol directs excess fat to the abdomen to protect the important organs and results in a big abdomen.
- So, relieving stress is an important step to achieving a flat stomach.
- Chew the food properly
- Rather than gulping down food, chew well before swallowing.
- The body needs to work extra to break down food in the stomach and intestines, which can result in significant gas and indigestion.
- Furthermore, when you eat quickly, you are more likely to overeat, which increases your chance of acquiring a potbelly.
- Take probiotics
- Manage constipation
- Give up gum
- According to American College of Gastroenterology researchers, continuous chewing forces you to swallow more air, which causes your stomach to expand. So, it is recommended to avoid chewing gums and seek an alternative, such as breath mints, for fresh breath.
- Maintain good posture
- Maintaining a straight posture while standing and sitting will tone your stomach muscles.
- Well-toned stomach muscles appear flat and even don’t bulge out easily, especially after eating food or drinking too much water.
Why is a flat stomach healthier?
Getting a flat stomach is nothing but getting rid of fat accumulated in the abdomen.
- According to a study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, women who carried more abdominal fat are more likely to have a heart attack than males.
- For women aged 40 to 69 years, the risk of heart attack was 10 to 20 percent higher for those who carried more weight around their abdomen than for those who simply weighed more overall.
So, it is crucial to reduce abdominal fat to have a healthy heart.
Tips for achieving a flat stomach
- Reducing the intake of foods that increase fat content in the body is the first step to getting a flat stomach.
- Maintaining consistent meal times, meal portion size, and avoiding overeating, especially junk food, will help maintain a good weight.
- Increasing intake of fiber and water adds up to the loss of fat.
- Adequate sleep relieves stress and keeps you energetic for the entire day.
Latest Diet & Weight Management News
Daily Health News
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Bucklan E. 5 Ways to Flatten Your Belly (No Crunches Needed). WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/5-ways-to-flatten-your-belly-no-crunches-needed
Rossi R, Creveling M. 11 Ways to Get Rid of Belly Fat—and Not One of Them is 'Doing More Sit-Ups.’ Health.com. https://www.health.com/weight-loss/11-reasons-why-youre-not-losing-belly-fat?slide=70a2dc17-4370-4494-ab73-5ba6a7c53129#70a2dc17-4370-4494-ab73-5ba6a7c53129
Top How Do You Get a Flat Stomach From Doing Nothing Related Articles
12 Things That Make You Gain Belly FatHere is a breakdown of the foods and drinks you might not even realize are causing you to gain unwanted belly fat.
25 Effective Tips to Lose Belly Fat (Backed by Science)Sugary foods, processed foods, alcohol, stress, smoking, excess carbohydrates and saturated fats all increase belly fat. Exercise, healthy eating, sleep, self-monitoring, portion control, intermittent fasting, high protein, soluble fiber, vitamin D, hydration and eating flavorful food may all help decrease belly fat.
Belly Fat QuizDid you know there is a medical term for belly fat? Find out what it is and learn why getting rid of belly fat may be the best thing for your health. Take the Belly Fat Quiz.
Belly Fat Foods QuizIs belly fat deadly? What kinds of foods are good and bad for belly fat? Take this quiz to learn about belly fat, how it can be dangerous, and what you can do about it.
Can a Tummy Tuck Cause Stomach Issues?Stomach cramps are the most common side effect after the tummy tuck procedure. Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure to remove excess skin and fat from the abdomen or tummy. Scarring, pain, swelling and other issues may occur after a tummy tuck.
Can You Lose Belly Fat by Cycling?Yes, cycling can help lose belly fat, but it will take time. A recent study showed regular cycling may enhance overall fat loss and promote a healthy weight. To reduce overall belly girth, moderate-intensity aerobic exercises, such as cycling (either indoor or outdoor), are effective to lower belly fat.
Can You Lose Belly Fat by Drinking Water?Drinking water is an important part of staying healthy. Staying hydrated is critical if you’re trying to lose weight because it helps your body function effectively and will help you feel better overall.
Can You Lose Belly Fat Without Doing Abs?You can lose belly fat without doing ab exercises by focusing on diet and reducing your overall body fat percentage.
Diet and Nutrition: Worst Habits for Belly FatDon’t fall into the belly fat trap. Find out which habits may be holding you back from losing weight in your midsection.
Diet and Weight Management: The Facts About Belly FatBelly fat doesn't just make your jeans too tight. It can also be risky for your health. Learn the facts about stomach fat, including what works to reduce it.
Diet and Weight Loss: Reasons You're Not Losing Belly FatIf you're trying to lose belly fat but can't, there's probably a reason.
Do Ellipticals Help Lose Belly Fat?One can lose belly fat by adhering to a strict diet plan and exercise regimen and by making a few lifestyle modifications. Elliptical trainers can help burn calories, reduce belly fat and tone the body.
Worst Belly FoodsBelly-fattening foods such as chips, beer, doughnuts and fatty red meat can kill a diet. See which foods are tough to resist, learn how to spot and swap the big-belly suspects.
Obesity and OverweightGet the facts on obesity and being overweight, including the health risks, causes, reviews of weight-loss diet plans, BMI chart, symptoms, causes, surgical and nonsurgical treatments, and medications.
Tummy Tuck ( Abdominoplasty)This surgical procedure involves the removal of excess fat and skin from the abdomen. A tummy tuck also involves tightening the muscles of the abdominal wall. Complications and side effects of the procedure include pain, swelling, numbness, bruising, and tiredness. Potential side effects include infection, bleeding, blood clots, insufficient healing, and scarring.
What Foods Help Burn Belly Fat?To reduce abdominal fat, try lowering carbohydrates and increasing protein and fiber intake. Foods and ingredients that help burn belly fat include red fruits, oatmeal, plant protein, lean meat, leafy greens, fatty fish, apple cider vinegar, resveratrol, choline and others.