Eating healthier to lose weight is a lot easier said than done. And if you’re following a strict diet or reducing your calorie intake, you may find yourself so hungry that it can be tempting to go back to old habits. So how can you manage hunger pangs and avoid giving into bad cravings?
It’s important to remember that crash diets, diet pills, or herbal supplements to lose weight can have long-term negative consequences on your body. There are better ways to suppress appetite and curb hunger. Here are 13 tips that can help you feel full for longer and keep the weight off.
13 tips for suppressing appetite
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are full of fiber, which keep you satiated for longer periods of time. These foods can help you control your blood sugar, which plays a critical role in controlling cravings.
- Stay hydrated. Drink glasses of water throughout the day, especially when you start to feel hungry. Staying adequately hydrated can reduce hunger pains and help you eat less during meals.
- Get enough protein. Protein is another great way to increase feelings of fullness and make you eat less during meals. Incorporate high-protein foods into your diet, like salmon, lean chicken, turkey, legumes, and soybeans.
- Increase your intake of omega-3 fats. Omega-3 fatty acids (found in fish) are particularly good at reducing hunger due to their ability to increase the hormone leptin, which creates a feeling of fullness after eating.
- Spice up your meals. Spices such as black pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, curry, and cayenne pepper can rev up your metabolism and act as an appetite suppressant. An added benefit is that when eaten with high-carb meals, certain spices like cayenne can increase the body’s fat-burning activities.
- Don’t ignore your snack cravings. Ignoring hunger pangs may make them worse and cause you to eat too much when it’s mealtime. If you feel like snacking on something, go for healthier choices that can help keep you full without adding a ton of calories, like hummus, carrot sticks, fruit, etc.
- Appease your sweet tooth with dark chocolate. If you have an intense sweet tooth, opt for dark chocolate over milk chocolate. Chocolate above 75% or 80% has less sugar and can be eaten in moderation.
- Fill up on nuts. Nuts are rich in protein, unsaturated fat, vitamin E, magnesium, and antioxidants. Having a handful when you feel peckish is an excellent way to trick your stomach into feeling full.
- Drink caffeine. Green tea and coffee are excellent for curbing your appetite, and it can also boost your metabolism. If you’re a coffee drinker, however, beware of drinks that add tons of milk and sugar.
- Chew gum. Chewing gum is a great way to make your brain think you are full without consuming more calories. Most gum consists of less than 10 calories and helps curb hunger.
- Check your medications. Check if your medications are causing food cravings even after you had breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Your doctor may change the medication or dosage.
- Take a dose of apple cider vinegar (ACV). ACV improves digestion and helps keep food in the stomach for longer, controlling cravings at least for 3 hours. ACV also helps control blood sugar spikes that occur after eating.
- Reduce stress. Identify stressors in your life and establish an action plan to take control or get rid of them. This can help you reduce stress eating.
Can supplements help suppress my appetite?
Using stimulants to curb hunger cravings is not recommended unless your doctor has advised it. A low dose of supplements can help reduce hunger, but too much can cause nausea and other side effects.
Much more research is needed before these supplements can be recommended specifically to curb hunger cravings:
- Magnesium: Combats chocolate cravings, helps relieve stress, relaxes muscles, improves sleep, and helps regulate glucose and insulin.
- Stimulants: Adrenaline reduces appetite by redirecting blood away from the digestive tract. Other powerful stimulants such as synephrine and yohimbine can also reduce hunger cravings, but may not be appropriate for daily use.
- Ginger, 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), Caralluma fimbriata: May support appetite suppression, but studies to support this are preliminary.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Zelman KM. Foods That Curb Hunger. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/features/foods-that-curb-hunger#1
Top How Do I Suppress My Appetite Related Articles
What Is Compulsive Overeating vs. Binge Eating Disorder?Compulsive overeating is eating more than needed. Binge eating disorder involves recurrent episodes of compulsive eating, even when not hungry. Symptoms of bingeing include rapid eating, secret eating, and feeling guilty following a binge. Vyvanse is the only medication approved in the United States for the treatment of binge eating disorder.
Nutrition QuizEven if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to learn more about eating right.
Best Diet Tips SlideshowLearn to lose weight in a realistic way that works. Find healthy weight loss by eating right, sleeping more, understanding portion sizes. Learn how to set reasonable diet standards.
Popular Dieting Myths and FactsCan't tell fact from fiction about weight loss and healthy eating? Discover the truth behind some of the most common diet and weight loss myths.
Food Cravings SlidesLearn which food cravings can wreck your diet. Whether your craving something creamy or crunchy, sweet or salty, food cravings are a risk to your waistline. Learn to make better food choices for your health.
How Safe is the 3 Day Cardiac Diet?The 3-Day cardiac diet is one of the popular fad diets for weight-loss. The diet claims a weight loss of about 10 pounds or 4.5 kilograms in a week.
lemon balmLemon balm has been used traditionally for centuries as a medicinal herb to promote sleep, relieve stress and anxiety, improve appetite and digestion, and to treat viral and other infections. The suggested uses of lemon balm include insomnia, anxiety, improving cognitive function, irregular heart rhythm and nervous palpitations, high blood pressure (hypertension), antispasmodic, appetite stimulant, indigestion, menstrual irregularities, and others. Common side effects of lemon balm include nausea, dizziness, sedation, increased appetite, wheezing, hypersensitivity reactions, and skin irritation.
Sugar AddictionLearn about sugar addiction to see why we often crave sweets and binge on carbs. Learn how sugar affects the brain and get tips to combat your sweet tooth so you can lose weight.
Sugar QuizSugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know about sugar and artificial sweeteners!
The 10 Best Diet Plans For Weight LossDiet means a reduction in calorie intake. For the optimal management of overweight and obese patients, a combination of diet, exercise, and behavioral modifications may be helpful. Weight loss is directly related to the difference between the individual’s energy intake and energy expenditure.
The Military Diet: Lose 10 Pounds in Just a WeekThe military diet or the 3-day diet is one of the most popular weight-loss diets. Dating back to 1985, this fad diet claims a weight loss of about 10 pounds or 4.5 kgs in a week. The diet makes robust claims of faster and significant weight loss, detox, lowered cholesterol, and increased energy. None of these claims, however, have been scientifically substantiated.
What Are the 7 Things You Need for a Balanced Diet?There are seven essential factors for a balanced diet. They are carbohydrates, protein, fat, fiber, vitamins, minerals and water.
What Is the Number One Diet?As per recent survey and analysis, research has confirmed that Mediterranean diet is the number one diet. As per research, people living in countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea live longer and are at low risk of cancer or cardiovascular ailments than other people.