Different ways to stop itching in the winter may include:
- Home remedies
- Medications and medicated shampoos
- Improving humidity level inside the house
- Improving moisture level of the scalp
7 home remedies to stop itchy scalp during winter
- Moisturizing hair with oils: For extremely dry hair, applying jojoba or coconut oil would be an ideal option. Apply a few drops of oil onto damp hair and leave it on for a few minutes. Wash out the oil with a shampoo and conditioner. Avoid blow-drying to dry out the hair.
- Honey and olive oil hair mask: Prepare a hair mask by mixing equal amounts of honey and olive oil. Apply this mask evenly through the hair and wrap it in a plastic wrap for 30 minutes. Wash it out with shampoo and conditioner. Try this mask at least one time a month or every week if possible.
- Tea rinse: Tea acts as a hair color enhancer and adds luster to hair. Use unsweetened black tea as a hair rinse after regular shampooing. Brunettes should use black tea, while blondes are recommended to use chamomile tea.
- Use an avocado mask: Avocadoes are rich in minerals, vitamins, and essential fatty acids. Mix a ripe mashed avocado with egg to make a smooth paste. Apply this mask on wet hair and leave for 20 minutes.
- Egg white and apple cider vinegar mask: Three egg whites combined with two tablespoons of olive oil and one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar can help relieve an itchy scalp. Apply this mixture, massage the scalp, and put on a shower cap. After half an hour, shampoo and rinse the mask out.
- Yogurt and oil mask: Yogurt mixed with oil would be appropriate for dry hair. Combine half a cup of yogurt with two tablespoons of olive oil and six drops of essential oil and mix it thoroughly. Apply this mask on shampooed hair and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse the hair with warm water.
- Banana mask: Bananas have high moisture content and are rich in potassium, making them optimal for dry hair treatment. Mash one banana and apply them evenly through the hair from roots to ends. Leave it for an hour and rinse with lukewarm water. A banana mask is ideal to moisten the hair and improve its elasticity.
6 things to avoid to prevent itchy scalp
Here are 6 things to avoid to prevent an itchy scalp:
- Using hot water while taking a shower
- Staying underwater for longer than 5 or 10 minutes
- Stressing out a lot
- Using harsh shampoos, soaps, or detergents
- Shampooing daily because the hair loses moisture
- Excessive scratching
4 tips to prevent itchy scalp caused by harsh winters
Here are 4 tips to prevent an itchy scalp caused by winter:
- Use a humidifier in the home to add moisture to the air
- Use a gentle, moisturizing shampoo for the hair
- Use scalp tonics and serums containing ceramide and urea to help reestablish the scalp pH
- Eat a healthy balanced diet that includes healthy fats to prevent the hair from drying out
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Watson S. What Causes Dry Scalp? WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/dry-scalp-causes
Herman-Axel P. Protect and Repair Your Dry Hair. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/dry-hair#1
WebMD. Slideshow: Natural Help for Dry or Damaged Hair. https://www.webmd.com/beauty/ss/slideshow-dry-hair
Mobin A. 8 Effective Home Remedies For Dry And Damaged Hair. https://www.lifehack.org/504815/8-effective-home-remedies-for-dry-and-damaged-hair
Top How Do I Stop My Scalp From Itching in the Winter Related Articles
Slideshow: DIY Skin and Hair Care for GirlsLearn about DIY skin and hair care for teen girls. Don't let a pimple, bad hair day, or cold sore get in the way of your good looks.
Do Hair Transplants Really Work?A hair transplant is a procedure in which there is the removal of small pieces (punch grafts) of tissue from the hair-bearing scalp. This is called a donor area, and it is cut into smaller pieces to place these on a bald or thinning area of the scalp.
Do I Have Dandruff or a Dry Scalp?What is the difference between dandruff and a dry scalp?
15 Gray Hair Causes and FixesWhat causes gray hair, and what does it say about your health? Is it stress? Genetics? Medications? Learn how to remove gray hair, why some people go gray sooner than others, and find what hairstyles and dyes help you look younger. When you want to show off your natural gray, discover what shampoo gives you a shiny, silver look.
How Do You Treat Eczema on the Scalp?Treatment for eczema on the scalp may include these antifungal creams, ointments or sprays.
How Do You Treat Ringworm on the Scalp?Ringworm is contagious and the fungus that causes it can affect your skin in different places on your body. Learn what medical treatments can help ease your ringworm on the scalp symptoms and speed up your recovery.
How Long Can Drugs Be Detected in Hair Follicle Test?A hair follicle drug test can detect drug use over the past 90 days.
Psoriasis of the Scalp PictureThe scalp may have fine, dry, scaly skin or have heavily crusted plaque areas. See a picture of Psoriasis of the Scalp and learn more about the health topic.
Scalp Psoriasis (Psoriasis of the Scalp)Scalp psoriasis causes red, raised, scaly patches that may extend from the scalp to the forehead and the back of the neck and ears. Symptoms and signs include itching, hair loss, flaking, silvery scales, and red plaques. Treatment includes topical medicated shampoos, creams, gels, oils, ointments, and soaps, medications, and light therapy.
Foods for Healthy HairTop foods for healthy hair include salmon, green vegetables, beans, nuts, poultry, eggs, whole grains, oysters, low-fat dairy products, and carrots. Foods for healthy hair supply protein, healthy fats, and vitamins and minerals.
Surprising Reasons Your Hair Is Falling OutSeeing clumps of hair in your brush every time you groom your tresses? Find out what might be behind your locks loss.
What Deficiency Causes Scalp Psoriasis?Scientific studies have reported a possible link between vitamin D deficiency and psoriasis, including scalp psoriasis.
Why Am I Getting Pimples on My Scalp?Getting pimples on the scalp is a common but irritating problem. Learn the reasons for pimples on the scalp, how to treat pimples on the scalp, and how to keep pimples on the scalp from coming back.
Why Do I Have Scabs on My Scalp?Scabs on your scalp can be caused by dandruff, lice, and other dry scalp conditions. Learn about 14 possible reasons why your scalp is scabbing.
Why Does My Scalp Itch Like Crazy?Dealing with an itchy scalp can be frustrating. Here are 10 potential reasons your scalp is itchy and what you can do about it.