Hair loss and hair damage can occur due to improper combing practices, hormones (pregnancy and childbirth), medications (cancer medication), and other medical illnesses (stress, thyroid disease, or autoimmune diseases). If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals in the diet, hair growth supplements and natural remedies can help to repair hair damage, reduce breakage, and promote hair growth, making your mane lustrous.
It takes 4-6 months to see any effects from the hair treatments. After a few months, the oil glands on the scalp are reactivated, the dormant follicles are stimulated. The hair starts to appear shinier, moisturized, and healthier.
The most important tip to prevent hair breakage is never combing wet hair. Combing or blow-drying wet hair weakens the hair shaft and causes hair damage. Always use a wide-tooth wooden comb to ungently untangle the hair. Never use a towel to tie up wet hair.
Home remedies to stop hair from breaking off
Applying natural oils:
The massaging action of the hair oil stimulates the scalp and relaxes the body, reducing stress-induced hair loss. The constant use of curlers and hot iron dries up the hair shaft, damaging the hair. Oils can add a protective layer over the shaft to minimize further damage.
- Castor oil: Castor oil is rich in vitamin E that improves hair health. Applying castor oil evenly to the scalp and washing it off after 30 to 60 minutes once or twice a week can help.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is rich in omega-3 acids, which promote hair growth and make the hair stronger, smoother, and shinier. Applying olive oil evenly to the scalp and hair and washing it off after 30 to 60 minutes once or twice a week can help.
Both the oils may also be mixed with other oils, such as coconut oil, and almond oil, and applied together.
Homemade hair masks:
Eggs are rich in protein essential for healthy hair. A hair mask may be made by beating one or two eggs, which may be applied on the scalp of damped hair and left on for 30 minutes. The mask can be washed off with shampoo. Bananas are rich in minerals that help in building collagen and making the hair thicker, stronger, and softer. A mask can be made by mashing a ripe banana with 2 tablespoons of olive oil (egg may be added to this mixture as well) and applied all over the scalp and hair. The mask can be washed off with shampoo after 20 to 30 minutes.
Trimming the hair regularly:
Having frayed, split ends make the hair appear thin and unhealthy. This condition causes hair breakage and prevents the hair from growing past a point. Cutting off 0.8 to 1 inch of the hair regularly prevents or gets rid of split ends, helping the hair grow faster and appear healthy.
Nutrients for hair health:
- Vitamin A helps form sebum, which is required to keep the scalp and skin conditioned and healthy. A decrease in sebum due to Vitamin A deficiency makes the scalp dry, irritated, itchy, and flaky. It also causes the hair to become dry and brittle. Vitamin A is found in orange and yellow vegetables like carrots.
- Vitamin E nourishes the skin, nails, and hair and protects the skin and hair from sun damage. Vitamin E is rich in plant-based oils, seeds, nuts, fruits, and vegetables.
- Zinc can regulate the level of DHT (dihydrotestosterone) in the body, a hormone that can cause hair loss. A decrease in zinc levels causes an increase in DHT, which can cause hair loss. Sesame seeds, nuts, eggs, and fish are rich in zinc.
- Iron is essential for hair growth. Low iron levels lead to anemia. Low iron levels affect the hair follicles and disrupt the growth cycle of the hair, leading to hair loss. Iron is rich in lentils, red meat, spinach, or green vegetables.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps in the formation of collagen. Vitamin C also helps in iron absorption. Rich sources of Vitamin C are citrus fruits like oranges and kiwis, as well as vegetables like sweet potatoes.
- Vitamin D is important for healthy hair follicle production; therefore, it promotes hair growth. Vitamin D also helps reduce stress and depression. It is found in eggs, oily fish, and mushrooms.
- Amino acids are essential for healthy hair growth. Amino acids help produce keratin, which promotes hair growth and nourishes and improves hair texture. Amino acids are rich in protein-rich foods like dairy, meat, and eggs.
- Omega-3 fatty acids produce oils that keep the skin, nails, and scalp healthy and hydrated. Fish, avocado, and pumpkin seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Biotin is a water-soluble Vitamin B and called Vitamin H or coenzyme R. Biotin increases nail and hair strength and texture.
Always use the products that suit your hair and skin. Avoid frequent hair coloring and heat treatments. Never tie hair into tight buns or plaits; this causes hair loss due to traction.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Almohanna HM, Ahmed AA, Tsatalis JP, et al. The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2019;9(1):51-70. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6380979/
WebMD. What Is Minoxidil and How Can It Help Thinning Hair? https://www.webmd.com/beauty/qa/what-is-minoxidil-and-how-can-it-help-thinning-hair
Top How Do I Stop My Hair From Breaking Off? Related Articles
Effective Ways to Stop Hair Loss in MenHair loss is one of the common problems in men. There could be many causes of hair loss that include diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution, and genetics.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
Electrolysis vs Laser Hair RemovalElectrolysis is a method of hair removal in which an electrical current is sent through a hair follicle. Laser hair removal is a method of hair removal in which a laser (a concentrated beam of light) is used to remove unwanted hair.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Care SlideshowLooking for the best kept hair secrets? See this hair care guide and get tips about hair that is thin, gray, curly, colored, overprocessed, dandruff-prone, and much more.
Hair Grafts Picture1–4 hair grafts. See a picture of Hair Grafts and learn more about the health topic.
Hair Loss (Alopecia)There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata, trichotillomania, and tinea capitis), telogen effluvium, and androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness).
Hair Loss: Alopecia, Thinning Hair in Men and WomenLearn about hair loss (alopecia) in women and men. Discover hair loss causes and treatments like shampoos and drugs, as well as how to prevent hair loss.
Hair Loss QuizTrue or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair. Learn what damages hair and what doesn't. Take the quiz!
How Can I Grow My Hair Faster Naturally?Hair, on average, grows about half an inch every month. There is no proven scientific way to make hair grow faster. Certain home remedies may help increase hair thickness and thus hair length, which include massaging your scalp, trimming your hair, brushing gently, using conditioner, eating a nutrient dense diet and other strategies.
How Common Is Hair Tourniquet?Hair tourniquet syndrome is a rare medical disorder in which part of the body such as a finger, toe or penis gets wrapped in hair very tightly. This is most common in babies if the parents, siblings or caretakers have long hair. Because a lot of hair tourniquets are resolved at home, they are probably underreported.
How Do You Get Rid of Flyaway Hair?Flyaway hair or frizzy hair is a common hair problem. You can use lip balm, hand lotion, static guard spray and olive oil to tame frizzy hair. You can also use jojoba oil, coconut oil, tea, avocados, egg whites, apple cider vinegar, bananas and yogurt to prevent and treat frizzy hair.
Ingrown HairIngrown hairs may be caused by improper shaving, waxing, or blockage of the hair follicle. Symptoms and signs of ingrown hairs include itching, tenderness, and small red pus bumps. Ingrown hairs usually heal on their own, but topical antibiotics, chemical depilatories, and hair-removal laser may be used in the treatment of ingrown hairs.
19 Health Problems in Men: Snoring, Hair Loss, and MoreWhat are the biggest body health issues that plague men? Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, hair loss, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get tips on dealing with male body problems and the prevention of common issues in men's health.
What Are the Four Types of Hair?Hair type and texture are determined by several factors including genetics. There are four main types of hair texture: Type 1 - straight, Type 2 - wavy, Type 3 - curly and Type 4 - tightly curled.
What Is a Clarifying Shampoo?A clarifying shampoo is a shampoo that helps get rid of buildup in your hair. The buildup may be due to the residue left by your daily shampoos, chlorinated water during swimming, coloring treatments, oils, dust and other chemical treatments on your hair.