Shiny hair tips
A good hair day is one less thing to worry about! Everyone pines for a healthy and shiny mane, resorting to many of the over the counter hair care products that claim to make your hair shiny, smooth, and silky. Of course, you cannot ignore the shampoos and conditioners, but make sure you choose them as per your hair type. Other few things that you should keep in mind while aiming to get shiny hair include:
- When shampooing, concentrate on cleaning the scalp rather than the entire length of the hair.
- If your hair looks limp after using conditioners, avoid using them on the scalp and length of hair. Only use conditioners on the tips.
- If your scalp is oily or you have dandruff, wash your hair as often as once a day.
- If you have treated your hair with chemicals, your hair may be drier, so wash it less frequently, twice or thrice a week. Use hair serums specially meant for colored or heat-treated hair as and when indicated.
- Protect your hair from the damaging effects of chlorine by conditioning your wet hair before swimming.
- If you have dry hair, do not wash your hair without oiling your hair. Oil your hair for at least 1 hour before shampooing. You can make use of any hair-healthy oil, such as coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, or argan oil.
- Do not wash your hair with hot water. Heat damages the hair shaft and dries your hair. You can either wash with lukewarm water or cold water.
- Rinse off the conditioner with cool water. After conditioning, end the hair wash by rinsing off the conditioner with cold water.
- Cover your hair with a scarf whenever you go out in the sun.
Some of the dietary advice for shiny hair includes:
- Include a lot of protein-rich foods in your diet, such as chicken, turkey, lean red meat, shrimp, fishes, salmon.
- Adding healthy lipids to your diet in the form of omega-3 fatty acids found in fatty fishes, and flaxseed oil. Cooking foods in olive oil or canola oil is also a good option.
- Eating iron-rich foods, such as beetroot, dates, beans, lentils, spinach, or jaggery (replace sugar with jaggery).
- Consume biotin-rich foods, such as eggs, spinach, almonds.
- Include Vitamin C in your diet by consuming citrus fruits, such as oranges, Indian Gooseberries (Amla), limes.
- Get Vitamin D naturally by exposing yourself to the sunlight in the early hours of the morning for a few minutes. Consume foods, such as egg yolk, mushrooms, and fish.
If the above home remedies do not help make you with shinier and healthier hair, consider visiting a skin specialist or dermatologist. They can identify any medical condition, such as nutritional deficiencies, and treat your hair problems accordingly.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
American Academy of Dermatology. Tips for Healthy Hair. https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/hair-scalp-care/hair/healthy-hair-tips
Top How Do I Make My Hair Shiny? Related Articles
Effective Ways to Stop Hair Loss in MenHair loss is one of the common problems in men. There could be many causes of hair loss that include diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution, and genetics.
Are Widow’s Peaks Attractive?Widow’s peak refers to the V-shaped arrangement of your hairline in the center of your forehead. Widow's peaks can look really attractive.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Loss (Alopecia)There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata, trichotillomania, and tinea capitis), telogen effluvium, and androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness).
Hair Loss QuizTrue or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair. Learn what damages hair and what doesn't. Take the quiz!
How Can I Remove Facial Hair Permanently at Home?Most women are bothered by unwanted facial hair and look for permanent options to get rid of it. The only advanced technique for hair removal that can permanently remove facial hair is electrolysis. Some of the methods that you can try for facial hair removal at home include shaving, waxing, depilatory creams, prescription medications and homemade masks.
How Common Is Hair Tourniquet?Hair tourniquet syndrome is a rare medical disorder in which part of the body such as a finger, toe or penis gets wrapped in hair very tightly. This is most common in babies if the parents, siblings or caretakers have long hair. Because a lot of hair tourniquets are resolved at home, they are probably underreported.
Ingrown HairIngrown hairs may be caused by improper shaving, waxing, or blockage of the hair follicle. Symptoms and signs of ingrown hairs include itching, tenderness, and small red pus bumps. Ingrown hairs usually heal on their own, but topical antibiotics, chemical depilatories, and hair-removal laser may be used in the treatment of ingrown hairs.
Is Auburn Hair Natural?Red hair varies from deep burgundy to bright copper, auburn, reddish-orange, burnt orange and strawberry blond. Auburn or red hair can be natural.
Is Hair Transplant Permanent?Yes. The main advantage of a hair transplant is that it is a permanent procedure. The long-term outcome of a hair transplant is subject to certain conditions.
Foods for Healthy HairTop foods for healthy hair include salmon, green vegetables, beans, nuts, poultry, eggs, whole grains, oysters, low-fat dairy products, and carrots. Foods for healthy hair supply protein, healthy fats, and vitamins and minerals.
What Are the Four Types of Hair?Hair type and texture are determined by several factors including genetics. There are four main types of hair texture: Type 1 - straight, Type 2 - wavy, Type 3 - curly and Type 4 - tightly curled.
Why Has My Hair Suddenly Changed Texture?Many different things can change the texture of your hair. It can be your age or any health conditions like menopause, and cancer that you can start noticing some changes in your hair.