Dry skin in your private area can usually be treated by avoiding harsh products, tight clothing, and hot showers.
Although dry skin in your private area is usually not a serious condition, it can make you feel itchy and awkward. Here are tips for both women and men when it comes to getting rid of dry skin in your private areas:
- Avoid products that contain harsh chemicals, such as vaginal douches or feminine hygiene spray, as these can upset the acidic balance of your vagina and cause dryness and itching.
- Avoid using an excessive amount of laundry detergent when washing clothes.
- Avoid the use of over-the-counter anti-itch creams because these products can worsen itching.
- Avoid excessive shaving and scratching.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes.
- Wash your penis well, including the area under the foreskin if you aren’t circumcised.
- Change underwear frequently if you sweat a lot.
Women and men
- Limit showers or baths to less than 10 minutes and use warm (not hot) water.
- Wear loose undergarments and clothing made of natural fibers.
- Use mild, fragrance-free, moisturizing soap to cleanse the area.
- Use a soft towel to pat the skin dry.
- Keep the skin well hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids.
- Manage stress, as stress can aggravate eczema and other skin conditions.
- Stop smoking (nicotine can reduce blood flow, which may cause dry skin).
What can cause dry skin in your private area?
Dryness and itching in the private area can be caused by:
- Eczema, which is an inflammatory skin condition that can cause dryness and itching
- Psoriasis, which causes red, itchy, scaly patches
- Fungal skin infection
- Lichen sclerosus
- Irritation from sweating or wearing tight clothes
- Irritation caused by:
- Very hot showers
- Overzealous cleaning
- Harsh personal hygiene products
- Lack of humidity in the air
- Hot weather
- Certain topical ointments
Common conditions that cause a vaginal itch only in women include:
- Yeast infection
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Trichomoniasis and other sexually transmitted diseases
- Harsh soaps and detergents that contain alcohol and astringents
- Chemical wipes
- Panty liner adhesives
- Synthetic fiber underwear
- Chemically treated clothing
- Vaginal secretions, sweat, and urine
- Perfume, talcum powder, and deodorants
While dry skin is typically not a cause for serious concern, it can cause severe itching and even scabbing. In extreme cases, it may cause bleeding, infection, and hyperpigmentation.
Who is at risk of developing dry skin around the private area?
Dry skin is a common condition that can affect anyone. Some people are more prone to develop dry skin, such as people who live in dry climates or who have certain health issues such as allergies and diabetes.
Age and hormonal changes such as menopause can also cause dry skin in the private area, as the skin becomes thinner and sweat glands produce less moisture.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Mayo Clinic. Dry skin. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dry-skin/symptoms-causes/syc-20353885
American Academy of Dermatology. Dry skin: Who gets and causes. https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/a-z/dry-skin-causes
Cleveland Clinic. Dry Skin. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/16940-dry-skinitchy-skin
Mayo Clinic. Psoriasis. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/psoriasis/symptoms-causes/syc-20355840
National Eczema Society. Female genital eczema. https://eczema.org/information-and-advice/types-of-eczema/female-genital-eczema/
Harvard Health Publishing. Managing common vulvar skin conditions. https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/managing_common_vulvar_skin_conditions
Top How Do I Get Rid of Dry Skin in My Private Area Related Articles
Dry SkinDry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain medications, or internal factors, such as thyroid disease, diabetes, psoriasis, or Sjogren's syndrome. Symptoms and signs of dry skin include itching and red, cracked or flaky skin. The main treatment for dry skin is frequent, daily lubrication of the skin.
Dry Skin QuizDry, itching, flaky skin? Take the Dry Skin Quiz to learn what's causing your dry skin and what you can do about it beyond lotions and creams.
Pictures of EczemaA particular type of inflammatory reaction of the skin in which there are typically vesicles (tiny blister-like raised areas) in the first stage followed by erythema (reddening), edema (swelling), papules (bumps), and crusting of the skin followed, finally, by lichenification (thickening) and scaling of the skin. See a picture of Eczema and learn more about the health topic.
How Can I Get Rid of Dry Skin Fast at Home?Dry skin may be associated with deep cracks, redness, fine lines, itching, skin tightness, and rough-looking skin. Get rid of dry skin at home fast by avoiding long showers, moisturizing your skin, wearing lip balm, or applying coconut oil, petroleum jelly or aloe vera.
How Do You Treat Aging Dry Skin?Dry skin is common in older adults. Treat aging dry skin my moisturizing, bathing in warm water, and using a soft washcloth.
Surprising Reasons You're ItchyFind out some unexpected causes of your itchiness, such as thyroid problems, cancer treatments, pregnancy, diabetes, and more.
Skin Problems and Treatments: Easy Everyday Tips for EczemaAlthough there’s no way to get rid of eczema for good, plenty of things you do each day can soothe and protect your skin. And that means less itching. Click through these tips and see which ones you can make part of your daily routine.
Skin QuizWhat's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!
What Causes Boils on Private Areas?Boils or furuncles on the private parts usually develop when the hair follicles get blocked and infected. Men get boils around the groin, thighs, buttocks, and testicles or penis. Women get it on their vagina, labia, and buttocks and around the groin or thighs.
What Causes Vaginal Itching?Vaginal itching can be a sign of the presence of an underlying medical condition. Find out more about vaginal itching and the possible causes.
What Is the Fastest Way To Cure Jock Itch?Learn what medical treatments can help ease your jock itch symptoms and help speed up your recovery.
Women's Health: Tips for Dealing With DrynessLots of parts of your body can become dry, especially as women get older. Find out the different causes and what you can do about them.