How many types of COVID-19 vaccines are in development?
The COVID-19 pandemic caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus has afflicted millions of people worldwide. This global crisis has spurred dozens of vaccine development efforts by drug companies, universities and governments.
Around 150 vaccines were in various stages of development across the globe as of mid December 2020; many had completed the Phase III clinical trials, a final step leading to approval by governments around the world.
These vaccines will hit the market once the United States Food and Drug Administration (U.S. FDA) confirms their effectiveness and safety.
Full approval is not necessary to start distributing promising vaccines; the FDA has granted the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine an emergency use authorization (EUA). The first doses of this vaccine for vaccinating individuals aged 16 years and above began US distribution in mid-December 2020, and the following vaccines were expected to soon follow:
How do COVID-19 vaccines work?
The COVID-19 vaccine helps your body fight the virus by training and tempering the immune system, strengthening your own biological defenses to repel the viral invaders in case you are exposed accidentally.
These are called immune responses to vaccination and are as follows:
- The white blood cells type-T (T cells) identify and kill the virus (cellular immunity).
- The white blood cells type-B (B cells) make antibodies (proteins) to neutralize the virus.
The vaccine trains your white blood cells to recognize the virus well before it starts multiplying inside your body. It also teaches both the T and B cells to retain infection memory, providing a lasting immunity.
As more and more people get vaccinated, the rate of active infections will shrink, leading to fewer infected people shedding virus in each community. This will help protect even those people who are yet to be vaccinated, a concept called herd immunity.
Herd immunity may develop without a vaccine as a critical mass of people are infected through community spread of the virus. They either clear the virus or die, slowly increasing a group’s overall immunity to infection until the virus stops spreading altogether.
This scenario costs many more lives than artificially inducing herd immunity through mass vaccination. Most health authorities around the globe endorse some combination of social distancing, masking and mass-vaccination to reduce the number of new infections.
The various types of COVID-19 vaccines in development are as follows:
- Inactivated virus vaccine: In this technique, the vaccine is manufactured using an inactivated or weakened virus. This weak virus does not cause disease, but it is sufficient to generate an immune response.
- Live attenuated viruses: A genetically weakened (harmless) version of the COVID-19 virus is manufactured inside a lab to make the vaccine. A healthy body generates an immune response to the weak virus. In the process, the white blood cells memorize the viral structure, allowing your body to mount a stronger immune response in the event you are exposed to the actual infection.
- Vaccines using the recombinant proteins: These vaccines use a protein shell that mimics the COVID-19 viral structure. Immune response mounted against this shell works against the live COVID-19 virus, too.
- Vaccines using vectors: Vector vaccines use a common cold virus as a vector (carrier). The code for a COVID-19-specific protein is inserted inside this virus. Once the vector is inside our cells; it releases the “code” inside our body. This code guides our cells to make the COVID-19-specific protein, triggering a strong immune response by white cells.
- DNA vaccines: This vaccine uses a lab grown bacteria to produce genetically engineered DNA that codes for a spike protein. This protein is specific to the COVID-19 virus. When injected, our cells read the DNA template for spike protein, inducing mass production of the protein. The protein sparks an immune response via white cells, preparing them to fight off a coronavirus infection.
- mRNA vaccines: This is a cutting-edge technique using a genetically engineered messenger RNA (mRNA that takes the message from the DNA to the protein-making machinery in the cell) that codes for the COVID-19 specific protein. When injected, this mRNA provides our cells instructions to make the COVID-19 specific protein, which in turn makes the white cells mount an immune response. The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine uses this technology.
Most of the COVID-19 vaccines consist of two shots given intramuscularly. The first shot is to start building protection. A second shot boosts the level of the protection. As of mid-December 2020, it was unclear how long the immunity conferred by the vaccines will last.
Further adding to logistical challenges in distributing millions of doses, all the vaccines are temperature-sensitive, and maintaining a proper storage is extremely important to maintain their potency. Refrigerated transport and storage is necessary at all levels of the supply chain.
What are the different vaccines available against COVID-19?
The following vaccines are in final stages of development and will hit the market in early 2021. Other contenders in Stage II will be out in the latter half of 2021. Those are not mentioned in this list.
|Vaccine name||Vaccine type||Injection Schedule||Licensed for use in||Efficacy|
|BNT162b2 (BioNTech and Pfizer)||mRNA vaccine||Two doses 21 days apart||UK, Canada, and Bahrain||95% at Day 7 following the second dose|
|mRNA 1273 (Moderna)||(mRNA) vaccine||Two doses 30 days apart||Under FDA review||94.1% at or after Day 14 following the second dose|
|NVX-CoV 2373 (Novavax)||Recombinant protein vaccine||Two doses 21 days apart||Still in Phase III studies||Under research|
|ChAdOx1 nCoV-19/AZD1222 (University of Oxford, AstraZeneca, the Serum Institute of India)||Vector vaccine|
Two doses 28 days apart; single dose schedule being considered
|Still in Phase III studies|
62-70.4% efficacy at or after Day 14 following the second dose
Single dose schedule being considered
Under FDA review
|Ad5-based COVID-19 vaccine (CanSino Biologics|
Single dose schedule being considered
China for limited use by the military
|Sputnik V (Gamaleya Institute)|
Vector vaccine, using two separate vector viruses for Doses 1 and 2
|Two doses 28 days apart||Russia|
91.4% based on only 39 cases
|BBIBP-CorV (Sinopharm)||Inactivated vaccine||Two doses 28 days apart||United Arab Emirates||Around 86%|
|CoronaVac (Sinovac)||Inactivated vaccine||Two doses 28 days apart||China, limited use||Unknown|
NOTE: Efficacy, in this table, is calculated as preventing symptomatic COVID-19 after the second dose
As the research evolves, we will be able to make informed decisions about which vaccine is best suited for each country and region’s climate, viral strains and particular public health challenges.
Until then, hand washing, social distancing, and masks are the greatest protection against the virus.
Can COVID-19 Vaccines Cause Bell's Palsy?
Four cases of Bell’s palsy were reported among the Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine study in mid December 2020, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). All four cases were in the group that received the vaccine and not the placebo, though that number of cases is not more than would be expected in the general population.
The FDA is monitoring vaccine recipients for evidence of new cases of Bell’s palsy.
Latest Infectious Disease News
Daily Health News
Around 150 vaccines were in various stages of development across the globe as of mid December 2020; many had completed the Phase III clinical trials, a final step leading to approval by governments around the world. Full approval is not necessary to start distributing promising vaccines; the US FDA granted the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine an emergency use authorization (EUA) in December. Bell's palsy, a facial nerve problem, and allergic reaction were rare but possible side effects of the first vaccine, but their connection to the medication was unclear as of late 2020.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles, Covid-19 Rashes: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, Covid-19 rashes, eczema, shingles, psoriasis,...
Coronavirus COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2): The Latest News, Updates and Information
See the latest news, updates, and information on the Coronavirus COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak. Learn about symptoms,...
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Prevention Quiz
Why is coronavirus considered dangerous? What are the symptoms you should look for? Take this COVID-19 prevention quiz to learn...
Coronavirus COVID-19 Prevention: Test Your Medical IQ
What's really the best way to prevent the spread of new coronavirus COVID-19? Should wear a mask or not? Take this quiz to find...
Coronavirus COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) Pandemic Outbreak: What You Need to Know
A new strain of coronavirus (COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2) was reported from Wuhan, China in December, 2019. This outbreak of respiratory...
What Drugs May Fight COVID-19? Drug Trials, Treatments, Vaccines
What drugs could help fight coronavirus COVID-19? Clinical studies are ongoing for antiviral drugs like hydroxychloroquine,...
Related Disease Conditions
Can Diarrhea Be an Initial Symptom of COVID-19?
COVID-19 has become a common illness that affects many people. Learn the signs of COVID-19, what causes it, how doctors diagnose it, and what you can do to treat it.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus, 2019-nCoV)
Infection with COVID-19 (2019 novel coronavirus, 2019-nCoV) causes respiratory problems in humans. Transmission of COVID-19 occurs mainly through contact with respiratory sections from an infected person, however, fecal contamination may also spread the virus. Symptoms start off flu-like and progress to coughing, fever, shortness of breath, shaking chills, headache, loss of sense of taste and/or smell, muscle pain, and sore throat. Treatment focuses on supportive care and symptom relief. COVID-19 vaccines are available.
COVID-19 vs. Flu vs. Cold
When you're feeling sick, it can be difficult to distinguish the symptoms of a COVID-19 infection from the symptoms of the common cold or the flu (influenza). While fever is common with the flu and COVID-19, sneezing is typically only associated with colds. Though sore throats are typical with colds, they are uncommon with COVID-19 infections and the flu.
How Long Is COVID-19 Patient Contagious for?
People infected with COVID-19 can still be contagious even when they stop feeling sick, so precautionary measures should continue for at least 2 weeks after symptoms disappear and until the COVID-19 test result is negative. Ideally, patients should be quarantined at home or an institution for 2 weeks after the symptoms completely disappear.
How Long Does Immunity Last After You Get Moderna, Pfizer, or Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccines?
People's bodies all respond differently to the vaccines so to understand how long immunity lasts, it comes down to your body’s antibody production.
COVID-19 vs. Allergies
Though there is some overlap in allergy and COVID-19 signs and symptoms there are also significant differences. Symptoms that they have in common include headache, fatigue, tiredness, shortness of breath, wheezing, and sore throat. Fever does not occur with allergies but is one of the defining symptoms of COVID-19 infections.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Prevention Tips
COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that spreads from person to person via infected respiratory droplets. The main symptoms of COVID-19 infection include cough, fever, and shortness of breath. Occasionally, people infected with COVID-19 may experience diarrhea, a sore throat, a runny or stuffy nose, or aches and pains. Avoiding contact with infected people, social distancing, not touching your face, frequent hand washing, cleaning, and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces can help to reduce your risk of contracting the 2019 novel coronavirus.
Does COVID-19 Affect My Heart?
As per the American Heart Association, COVID-19 may have a long-term effect on the heart. Having a heart condition doesn't make a person more likely to catch COVID-19, but an individual with heart disease or a serious heart condition is more likely to become severely ill from COVID-19 and has a higher risk of death.
Should You Take the COVID-19 Vaccine if You Are Trying to Get Pregnant?
The COVID-19 vaccine is still being offered to women who are pregnant or are trying to get pregnant. Current information says that there is no reason not to get vaccinated if you are pregnant or are trying to get pregnant.
How Should I Prepare My Kids That Are Going Back to School During COVID-19?
As you start preparing your kids for back to school during COVID-19, there are some ways like wearing a mask and handwashing that can help keep them safe and healthy.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Wuhan Coronavirus FAQs
- Coronavirus COVID-19 Prevention FAQs
- What Are Monoclonal Antibody Treatments for COVID-19 Coronavirus?
- Testing Is Key to COVID-19 Recovery for Patients and Economy
- Should I Go to the Dentist During the COVID-19 Pandemic?
- Is the Test for COVID-19 Coronavirus Reliable?
- What if I get COVID-19 with Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- How Long Can the COVID-19 Coronavirus Survive?
- What if I get COVID-19 with Diabetes?
- What if I Get COVID-19 with Asthma?
Medications & Supplements
- Cetirizine vs. Loratadine
- azithromycin (Zithromax): For COVID-19
- Interferon: Potential COVID-19 Treatment
- lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra): Potential COVID-19 Drug
- Veklury (remdesivir)
- The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID 19 Vaccine
- The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine
- Types of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Medications
Prevention & Wellness
- High Rates of COVID Vaccination Among Adults With Autism
- FDA Limits J&J COVID Vaccine Due to Blood Clots
- Could Obesity Blunt the Response to the COVID Vaccine?
- Early Promise for COVID Vaccine Taken as Pill
- Only 1 in 5 Parents Plan to Get COVID Vaccine for Kids Under 5 When Available: Survey
- Heart Inflammation Very Rare After COVID Vaccination
- Common COVID Drug Might Be Useful at Lower Dose
- Free COVID Tests, Treatments for Uninsured Americans Cut for Lack of Funding
- About 1 in 6 U.S. Couples Disagrees on COVID Vaccination
- One Big Motivator to Get COVID Vaccine: Travel
- Allergic Reaction to Your First COVID Shot? Risk of Another Is Low
- COVID Vaccine Is a Big Stress-Reliever, Too: Study
- COVID Vaccine in Pregnancy Guards Against Infection in Newborns
- Is the Next Great COVID Vaccine an Inhaled One?
- Mom-to-Be's COVID Vaccine Brings Long-Term Protection to Baby
- Getting a COVID Vaccine Won't Affect Your Ability to Exercise
- CDC Backs Full Approval of Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Beyond Antibodies: Vaccines Teach T-Cells to Fight COVID Long Term
- Pfizer Begins Testing a COVID Vaccine Targeted to Omicron
- More Proof That COVID Vaccines Won't Harm Fertility
- Depression Might Predispose You to Believe COVID Vaccine Lies
- Vaccination Key to 'Super Immunity' Against COVID-19
- Arthritis & the COVID Vaccine: What You Need to Know
- Vaccination Plus Prior Infection Best Defense Against COVID
- No Side Effects From Your COVID Vaccine? Don't Worry, It's Still Working
- COVAX Program Has Now Sent 1 Billion COVID Vaccines to Poorer Nations
- COVID Vaccine May Change Menstrual Cycle
- Moderna CEO Says 4th COVID Dose May Be Needed Next Fall
- Israel Will Give 4th COVID Shot to People Over 60, Health Workers
- Getting Your Child Their Vaccine? Some Tips on Easing Needle Fears
- What Time You Get Your COVID Shot Might Affect Immune Response
- Had COVID? Getting Vaccinated Strengthens Your Antibodies to New Variants
- Study Finds Delta Somewhat Resistant to Vaccines — What About Omicron?
- COVID Protection Wanes After 2 Doses of Pfizer Vaccine: Study
- Vaccine Makers Already Testing Their Shots Against Omicron Variant
- Boosters: What You Need to Know
- Booster Shots Prompt Stronger, Longer Protection Than Original Shots: Study
- As Vaccine Deadline Passes, 95% of Federal Workers Have Gotten Shots
- AHA News: Holiday Visits, Even With Vaccines, Are a Balancing Act for Families
- Nearly 1 in 3 U.S. Hospital Personnel Still Unvaccinated
- White House to Spend Billions to Boost COVID Vaccine Supply
- AHA News: Pfizer, Moderna Officials Review COVID-19 Vaccine Successes, Discuss Future for mRNA Tech
- Federal Court Backs Stay on COVID Vaccine Mandate
- More Evidence That COVID Vaccines Are Safe for Cancer Patients
- Nearly 900,000 U.S. Kids Under 12 Have Gotten Their First COVID Shot
- Wealthier Parents More Likely to Get COVID Vaccines for Young Kids: Poll
- What Parents Should Know About the COVID-19 Vaccine For 5- to 11-Year-Olds
- Court Temporarily Blocks Vaccine Mandate for Big Businesses
- FDA Approves Pfizer COVID Vaccine for Kids 5-11
- FDA Delays Decision on Moderna COVID Vaccine for Younger Teens
- Merck Allows Poor Nations to Make COVID-19 Pill
- Even a $25 Cash Card Can Motivate Some to Get Vaccinated
- Pfizer Vaccine Booster Restores Nearly Full Protection, Company Says
- Mandates, Not Recommendations, Work Best to Get Folks Vaccinated: Study
- State Lotteries Didn't Help Boost Vaccination Rates
- Vaccinated Foreign Travelers Can Enter United States Beginning Nov. 8
- Mix n' Match COVID Vaccine Strategy Works Well: Study
- Fully Immunized Colin Powell Dies of COVID: Can Vaccines Protect You?
- FDA Panel Supports Moderna Booster Shot
- Another Study Finds Pfizer, Moderna Shots Effective Against COVID Variants
- U.S. to Reopen Borders to Vaccinated Travelers from Canada, Mexico
- J&J to Ask FDA to Approve Its COVID Booster Shot
- Americans Divided on Biden's Vaccine Mandate, Poll Finds
- U.S. Appeals Panel Backs New York City's Vaccine Mandate
- Trials Show COVID Vaccines Well Worth It for Cancer Patients
- U.S. to Buy 500 Million More COVID Vaccine Doses for Global Donation
- FDA Approves Pfizer Booster Shots for Seniors, High-Risk Americans
- Booster Dose of J&J COVID Vaccine Increases Immunity
- CDC Expert Panel to Weigh In on Vaccine Boosters
- Pregnant Women Who Get COVID Vaccine Pass Antibodies to Newborns
- Pfizer, Moderna Vaccines Still Offer Good Protection Against Severe COVID: Study
- Lower Dose of Pfizer COVID Vaccine Works Well in Young Children, Company Says
- White House Offers Nicki Minaj a Call After She Balks on COVID Vaccine
- COVID Vaccines for Kids Under 12 Could Come This Fall: Fauci
- WHO Says Africa Will Get 30% of COVID Vaccines It Needs by February
- COVAX Cuts Global COVID Vaccine Supply Estimates By a Quarter
- COVID Death 11x More Likely for Unvaccinated
- White House Issues Tough New Vaccine Mandates
- White House Pushes for More Vaccine Mandates
- Why Aren't COVID Vaccines Getting to People Globally?
- Major Study Finds No Serious Health Issues From Pfizer, Moderna Vaccines
- Few Symptoms After Your COVID Shot? Don't Worry, You Still Got Immune Boost
- Pfizer to Ship Smaller Packages of COVID Vaccine to Cut Waste, Boost Uptake
- U.S. COVID Vaccination Rates Climb in August
- COVID-19 Vaccines Boost Antibodies, Even in People With Weak Immune Systems
- Vaccine Power Against COVID Hospitalization Fades in Elderly
- Unvaccinated Teacher Infected Half of Students in Classroom: CDC Study
- Half of American Workers Support COVID Vaccination, Mask Mandates in Workplace
- COVID Vaccination Will Be Required on Disney Cruises to Bahamas
- COVID Vaccine Protection Against Severe Disease
- Pentagon to Make COVID Vaccination Mandatory for Military
- 'Dream Vaccine' for All COVID Variants
- FDA Warns Against 'Off-Label' Use of Pfizer Vaccine in Younger Children
- Parents' Poll Finds Strong Support for Vaccination of Students, Teachers
- Early U.S. Vaccine Rollout Saved 140,000 Lives, Prevented 3 Million COVID Cases
- Rise in Breakthrough COVID Infections Among Vaccinated
- COVID Vaccines Offer Good Protection for People Living With HIV
- Moderna Vaccine May Shield More Against Breakthrough Infections Than Pfizer: Study
- All HHS Health Care Workers Must Now Get COVID Vaccines
- Pfizer Shot May Help Fight COVID Variants in People Previously Infected
- Third Vaccine Dose Can Help Shield Transplant Patients From COVID
- US Sees Big Spike in COVID Vaccinations
- Largest Operator of Nursing Homes in U.S. Issues Vaccine Mandate for All Workers
- Could a TB Vaccine Protect the Elderly From Severe COVID?
- COVID Vaccination Required for Most Foreign Visitors to US
- Full Approval of Pfizer COVID Vaccine Could Come in September
- After Nearly 9 Million Pfizer Shots for U.S. Teens, Serious Side Effects Rare: CDC
- Leading U.S. Ob-Gyn Groups Urge COVID Vaccines for All Pregnant Women
- No Sign COVID Raises Odds for Preterm Delivery, Stillbirths
- Text 'Nudges' May Help Boost Vaccination Rates
- Teens' Heart Risk From COVID Far Exceeds That of Vaccination: Study
- Some Missouri Residents Getting COVID Shots in Secret, Fearing Loved Ones' Ire
- Provincetown Outbreak Shows Delta Can Spread Among Vaccinated, But Cases Are Mild
- New Data Shows the Power of COVID Vaccines
- CDC Now Says Vaccinated Should Be Tested After COVID Exposure, Even Without Symptoms
- Israel Offers COVID Booster Shots to Anyone Over 60
- Despite Reopening, Britain Sees 6 Straight Days of Declines in COVID Cases
- Return to Masks Indoors for Vaccinated in Some Areas of US
- Biden Weighs 'Vaccine or Testing' Mandate for Federal Employees
- Second COVID Shot Safe in Folks Who Had Allergic Reaction to First
- Federal, State Moves Begin to Mandate COVID Vaccines for Workers
- Parents Divided on COVID Vaccination for Kids Under 12
- Vaccinations Start to Climb in States Hit Hard by Delta Variant
- Fauci Supports NFL's Tough New COVID Policy
- McConnell Tells Unvaccinated Americans to Get COVID-19 Shots
- Canada Surpasses U.S. COVID Vaccination Rates
- Federal Court Backs Indiana University's Vaccine Mandate
- Canada to Welcome Fully Vaccinated Americans in August
- Canada May Open Borders to Fully Vaccinated Americans by Mid-August
- CDC Advisors to Discuss 3rd COVID Vaccine Dose for Immunocompromised
- FDA to Prioritize Full Approval for Pfizer COVID Vaccine
- More Than a Quarter of Long COVID Patients Still Not Recovered After 6 Months
- Friends, Family Key to Turning a 'No' on Vaccination to a 'Yes'
- 'Urgent Threat' of COVID Vaccine Misinformation
- COVID Antibodies From Vaccination Are 3 Times Higher Than From Infection
- Many States Move to Ban Vaccine Mandates, Passports in Public Schools
- Half of U.S. Teens Plan to Get COVID Shot, But Can Numbers Go Higher?
- Get COVID-19 Vaccines to Poor Nations Instead of Making Booster Shots: WHO
- Inhaled COVID Vaccine Shows Promise in Animal Trials
- Pfizer Presses U.S. Scientists, Officials on Third Booster Shot
- U.S. COVID Vaccine Rollout Saved 279,000 Lives: Study
- Vaccinated Teachers, Students Can Skip Masks This Fall: CDC
- She Got Her Shots and Is Helping Other Seniors Rejoin Society
- Vaccine Effectiveness and Third COVID Booster Shot
- Will We Need a COVID Booster Shot?
- Global Consortium Finds Genes That Drive Severe COVID-19
- Chinese CoronaVac Vaccine 83.5% Effective Against Symptomatic COVID
- COVID Vaccine Doesn't Infiltrate Breast Milk
- Immunocompromised? Why the COVID-19 Vaccine Might Still Protect You
- State Lotteries Don't Boost COVID Vaccination Numbers: Study
- Most Americans Who Wanted COVID Vaccine Have Already Gotten One: Poll
- 99% of New COVID Deaths Are Unvaccinated
- Second COVID Vaccine Dose Missed by Over 10% of Americans
- White House Says July 4 Vaccination Goal Won't Be Met
- CDC Advisers to Discuss Heart Problems in the Young After COVID Vaccination
- AHA News: Should Rare Cases of Heart Inflammation Put Your COVID-19 Vaccine Plans on Hold?
- Low COVID Vaccination Rates for Seniors in 11 States a 'Powder Keg'
- Do mRNA Vaccines Harm Male Fertility?
- Almost All U.S. Physicians Have Gotten a COVID Vaccine
- CDC Changes Mask Rules for Fully-Vaccinated People Using Public Transportation
- There Are Many Good Reasons for Kids to Get the COVID Vaccine
- Novavax's COVID Vaccine Shines in Latest Trial
- Will We Need a Yearly COVID Booster Vaccine?
- Expiration Dates on Johnson & Johnson COVID Vaccine Extended
- CDC Calls Emergency Meeting on Heart Inflammation Link to COVID Vaccines
- AstraZeneca COVID Vaccine Tied to Rare Cases of Low Blood Platelets
- US to Send 500 Million COVID Vaccine Doses to Countries Desperate for Shots
- COVID Vaccines Appear Safe for People With IBD
- The Real-World Power of Pfizer, Moderna COVID Vaccines
- Vaccinations More Urgent as Variant That Crippled India Shows Up in the U.S.
- India to Provide Free COVID-19 Shots for All Adults
- Teens: You Got Your COVID Vaccine, What Now?
- Declining Vaccination Rates Threaten White House's July 4 Goal
- 'Mix & Match' COVID Vaccine Approach in Testing
- White House Announces New Vaccination Incentives
- Long-Haul COVID Symptoms? Getting Vaccine Won't Make You Feel Worse, Study Finds
- As Teen He Made News Opposing Anti-Vax Mom. Now, He's Urging COVID Shots for Youth
- U.S. Set to Send Millions of COVID Vaccines to Countries in Need
- With Increase in Vaccine Acceptance, Herd Immunity by Summer
- Debunking Myths That Have Some Parents Resisting COVID Vaccines for Teens
- Common Immune Drug Methotrexate May Hamper Response to COVID-19 Vaccine
- COVID-19 Vaccines May Give Protection for Years: Studies
- 'Breakthrough' COVID Infections After Vaccination Are Rare: CDC
- U.S. Officials Say 50% of American Adults Are Now Fully Vaccinated
- Many Americans Take Meds That Weaken COVID Vaccine Response
- Approved Vaccines 'Respond' to All COVID Variants So Far: WHO
- When Will You Need a COVID Vaccine Booster Shot?
- Fully Vaccinated Travelers Can Soon Visit EU Countries
- U.S. to Share 20 Million More Doses of COVID Vaccines With Other Countries
- Experimental Antiviral Treatment for COVID-19
- After Setbacks, Sanofi/GlaxoSmithKline COVID Vaccine Performs Well in Early Trial
- AHA News: What to Tell Your Young Teen About Their Shot at the COVID-19 Vaccine
- Dialysis Patients Have Weaker Response to COVID Vaccine: Study
- Two Out of Three California Prison Inmates Said Yes to COVID Vaccine
- New Mask Guidance Brings Challenges, Problems
- Debunking Social Media Myth, Study Finds COVID Vaccine Won't Harm Placenta
- Mixing COVID Vaccines Might Raise Odds for Minor Reactions: Study
- It's OK to Get COVID-19 Vaccine Along With Other Shots: CDC
- Most Severe COVID Cases Involve Neuro Issues, and They're More Often Fatal
- Uber Rides, Vouchers & Free Beers as Feds, States Seek More Vaccine Takers
- Ibuprofen, Similar Painkillers Won't Raise Risks for COVID Patients
- FDA Approves COVID Vaccine for Ages 12 to 15
- Pfizer, Moderna or J&J? An Expert Answers Your Questions
- COVID Vaccines May Still Leave Organ Transplant Recipients Unprotected
- COVID and Obesity More Deadly for Men Than Women
- Poll Finds Many Parents Hesitant to Get Younger Kids Vaccinated
- Real-World Studies Show Pfizer Vaccine Shields Against COVID Variants
- Israel Study: Pfizer Vaccine Gives 95% Protection Against Illness, Hospitalization & Death
- New Goal of Vaccinating 70% of Americans by July 4
- COVID Vaccination in Pregnancy May Pass Helpful Antibodies to Baby
- Not Just About Antibodies: Why mRNA COVID Vaccines May Shield From Variants
- COVID Vaccine for Ages 12 and Up
- You Got Your COVID Shot: What to Do With That Vaccine Card
- Needle Anxiety Behind J&J COVID Vaccine Reaction Clusters: Study
- Will America Reach Herd Immunity?
- U.S. Striving to Help India: White House Officials
- Poll Reveals Who's Most Vaccine-Hesitant in America and Why
- Is an Antiviral Pill to Ease COVID Severity on the Way?
- COVID Deaths Continue to Decline in U.S.
- 1 in 5 Patients on Kidney Dialysis Say No to COVID-19 Vaccine: Study
- Pfizer/Moderna Vaccine Protection: 64% at First Dose, 94% at Second
- Many U.S. Colleges Will Mandate Vaccines on Campus Next Fall: Survey
- COVID-19 Pill Could Be Available Later This Year: Pfizer CEO
- AHA News: Experts Remain Confident About Vaccine Safety Monitoring
- Polls Find Most U.S. Young People Take COVID Threat Seriously
- $100 Savings Bonds for Young People in West Virginia Who Get COVID-19 Shot
- U.S. to Share Up to 60 Million Doses of AstraZeneca Vaccine
- Is a Cheap 'Universal' Coronavirus Vaccine on the Way?
- Millions Have Missed Second COVID Vaccine Shot
- CDC Panel Recommends Resuming Use of J&J COVID Vaccine
- They're on the Frontlines of the U.S. Vaccine Rollout
- Biden Gives Businesses Incentives to Help Workers Get COVID Shots
- The Big COVID Vaccine Holdouts: Republican Men
- COVID-19 Vaccine: When Supply Outstrips Demand
- All Adults Now Eligible for COVID-19 Vaccine in US
- Half of American Adults Have Now Gotten at Least One COVID Vaccine Shot
- Most Young Americans Eager to Get COVID Vaccine: Poll
- Rashes Can Occur After COVID Vaccine, But Dermatologists Say 'Don't Worry'
- Booster Shots a Likely Reality for COVID-Vaccinated Americans
- U.S. Marines Study Finds Getting COVID Won't Protect Young People From Reinfection
- CDC Panel Says It Needs More Time to Study J&J Vaccine Clotting Cases
- AHA News: Straight Answers to Common Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
- J&J Vaccine Pause a 'Recommendation' Not a 'Mandate'
- Biden, Fauci Say Pause in J&J COVID Vaccine Is Sign That Safety Comes First
- J&J COVID Vaccine Pause After Blood Clot Risk
- Had Facial Fillers? What You Need to Know About COVID Vaccines
- COVID Vaccines Might Not Protect Certain Cancer Patients
- COVID Vaccines Trigger Protective Immune Response in Nursing Home Residents: Study
- Chinese COVID-19 Vaccines Not Very Effective: Official
- No Proof COVID Vaccines Can Trigger Guillain-Barré Syndrome
- Two Vaccines Show Effectiveness Against Emerging COVID Variants
- How Long Does COVID Vaccine Protection Last?
- Nearly 8 in 10 School, Child Care Staff Have Gotten at Least 1 Dose of COVID Vaccine: CDC
- If You've Had COVID, One Vaccine Jab Will Do
- Vaccine Passports Won't Be Mandated by Federal Government: Fauci
- Walgreens Wasn't Following COVID-19 Dose Timing Guidelines
- COVID Shot Earlier in Pregnancy Better for Baby: Study
- Contamination of Some J&J Vaccines Won't Affect U.S. Immunization Goals, Officials Say
- Vaccine Passports to Be Part of Britain's Reopening Plan
- Got Your COVID Vaccine? Don't Stop Being Cautious, Experts Say
- How Willing Are Americans to Donate COVID Vaccines to Other Countries?
- 1 in 4 Parents Won't Vaccinate Their Kids Against COVID-19: Poll
- When Will America's Kids Get Their COVID Vaccines?
- Biden Administration Kicks Off Campaign to Boost Vaccinations
- Can Vaccinations Stop COVID Transmission? College Study Aims to Find Out
- Pfizer: COVID Vaccine Is Very Effective in Kids
- Real-World Proof That Pfizer, Moderna Vaccines Slash COVID Infections
- US Working on 'Vaccine Passport' Initiative
- Pregnant Women Pass on COVID Vaccine Protection to Newborns
- States Race to Vaccinate Their Residents
- AstraZeneca Reports Slightly Lower Estimate of Its COVID Vaccine's Effectiveness
- State AGs Urge Facebook, Twitter to Tackle Vaccine Misinformation
- Can You Still Get COVID After Vaccination?
- Study Finds Growing Acceptance of COVID Vaccine by U.S. Health Care Workers
- U.S. Retailers Offering Freebies to Encourage Customers to Get COVID-19 Vaccinations
- Red Flags on AstraZeneca's COVID Vaccine Trial Data
- Nearly All Americans Who Got First COVID Shot Are Getting Their Second
- Organ Transplant Recipients May Not Be Protected by One Dose of COVID Vaccine: Study
- AstraZeneca COVID Vaccine Suspended by Several Countries
- COVID Vaccines Given to Americans Top 100 Million
- How Bad Was COVID in Your State? Governor's Party Affiliation Was Key
- One Year Into Pandemic, Biden Promises Vaccines for All U.S. Adults by May 1
- Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine 97% Effective Against Symptomatic Disease
- Many More Older Americans Willing to Get COVID Vaccine: Poll
- Scams Await Many Americans Desperate to Get COVID Vaccine
- Most Employees Want COVID-19 Shot Before Returning to the Office
- Already Had COVID? You May Not Need 2nd Dose of Vaccine
- Study Confirms Very Low Risk of Severe Allergic Reaction to COVID Vaccines
- Is It Safe to Have Surgery Soon After a COVID Diagnosis?
- US to Buy 100 Million More Doses of J&J Vaccine
- Don't Use Veterinary Drug Ivermectin Against COVID, FDA Warns
- Pfizer COVID Vaccine Shows Mettle Against Brazilian Variant
- Even 1 Dose of Pfizer, AstraZeneca COVID Vaccines Offer Good Protection for People Over 80
- Guidance for Vaccinated Americans Is on the Way
- Is a New Wave of COVID-19 Cases and Deaths on the Way?
- Moderna COVID Vaccine Can Sometimes Trigger Delayed Skin Reactions
- What's the Best COVID Vaccine?
- Shortage of Syringes for COVID-19 Shots
- New Coronavirus Variant Out of Brazil Now in 5 U.S. States
- What You Need to Know About the New J&J COVID Vaccine
- COVID Vaccines for All by End of May
- Fauci Says U.S. Will Stay With Two Doses of Pfizer, Moderna Vaccines
- Education Level Now Prime Driver of COVID Vaccine Hesitancy: Poll
- FDA Approves Third COVID Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson's Single-Shot
- Underarm Lump After COVID Shot Is Likely Lymph Swelling, Not Breast Cancer, Experts Say
- Walmart Expands COVID-19 Vaccination Program
- Pharmacies Will Distribute COVID-19 Vaccines: What You Need to Know
- AHA News: What's Safe Once You've Had Your COVID-19 Vaccine?
- COVID Cases, Deaths Plummet in Nursing Homes After Vaccine Rollout
- Teachers Main Drivers of School COVID Outbreaks, So Vaccinations Needed: Study
- New Variants Mean COVID Vaccines, Tests May Need Tweaking: FDA
- COVID-19 Vaccines Adapted to Fight Variants Won't Require Long Clinical Trials: FDA
- Pfizer Says COVID Shot 85% Effective After 1 Dose; May Not Require Deep Freeze
- Approved U.S. COVID Vaccines Are Safe, New Review Confirms
- You've Had Your COVID Vaccine: Here's What to Expect After
- Should You Take a Painkiller Before Your COVID Vaccine?
- Battered by Winter Storms, U.S. Vaccine Rollout to Redouble Efforts Next Week
- Communities of Color Struggling to Get Vaccines to Those in Need
- Pfizer to Begin Clinical Trial of COVID-19 Vaccine in Pregnant Women
- Many U.S. Troops Refusing COVID-19 Vaccination
- Pfizer, Moderna Vaccines Less Effective Against South African COVID Variant
- Will All Americans Be Vaccinated by August?
- When Will Kids Get the COVID Vaccines?
- Winter Storm Slows U.S. COVID Vaccine Rollout
- Pfizer Vaccine Cuts COVID-19 Symptoms by 90% in Real-World Study
- AstraZeneca Coronavirus Vaccine Approved by WHO
- COVID Vaccine Reaction Can Mimic Breast Cancer Symptoms, But Doctors Say 'Don't Panic'
- COVID Vaccines Safe for Organ Transplant Recipients: Study
- Will There Be Enough COVID Vaccine for All Americans By Summer?
- Are COVID Quarantines Necessary After Vaccination?
- Shortage Forces Temporary Closure of Five LA COVID-19 Vaccination Sites
- You've Had COVID: Maybe One Dose of Vaccine Is Enough, Studies Suggest
- Slow Vaccine Rollout Frustrates Most Americans
- Facebook Targets New COVID-19 Vaccine Falsehoods
- New Recommendations on Social Distancing After Vaccination Are Coming: Fauci
- South Africa Considering Johnson & Johnson Vaccine as Next Step
- Second Dose of COVID Vaccine Is Likely to Feel Worse
- Major Medical Groups Urge Americans to Get COVID Vaccine
- U.S. Sees Continued Drop in New COVID Cases
- J&J Seeks Emergency Approval of Single-Dose COVID-19 Vaccine
- One Dose to Many, Or Two Doses to Fewer? Experts Explain U.S. Vaccine Rollout
- Pfizer Vaccine 90% Effective After First Dose
- First Federal COVID Vaccination Sites to Open in California
- COVID-19 Vaccine Acceptance Is Growing Around the World: Study
- Israel Leads World in COVID Vaccinations, But Challenges Remain
- Vaccines Saved 37 Million Lives, Mostly Children, Over Past Two Decades
- COVID Vaccines Directly to U.S. Pharmacies
- Moderna Wants to Increase Number of Doses in COVID-19 Vaccine Vials
- Will Vaccines Protect You Against New COVID Variants?
- Drop in COVID Cases Seen in Nursing Homes as U.S. Vaccine Effort Makes Headway
- New J&J, Novavax COVID Vaccine Efficacy
- Anti-Vaxxers Mounting Internet Campaigns Against COVID-19 Shots
- Retired Doctors, Nurses Will Be Approved to Give COVID Vaccine, White House Says
- States Start to Loosen Restrictions as U.S. COVID Cases Level Off
- U.S. Government to Increase Vaccine Deliveries to States
- Nearly Half of Americans Want COVID Vaccine ASAP
- New Goal of 1.5 Million COVID Vaccinations a Day
- Brazilian Coronavirus Variant Found in Minnesota
- For Maximum Effectiveness, De-Stress and Get Healthy Before Your COVID Shot
- UK Prime Minister Says British COVID Variant May Be More Deadly
- Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Effective Against British and South African Variants, Company Says
- Frustrations Mount for U.S. Seniors Seeking Access to COVID Vaccines
- Severe Allergic Reaction Extremely Rare With Pfizer COVID Vaccine: Study
- Will Vaccines Work Against the New Coronavirus Variants?
- Florida Targets 'Vaccine Tourism'
- When ICUs Near Capacity, COVID Patients' Risk for Death Nearly Doubles
- Details of National Pandemic Response Plan
- Biden COVID Advisor Says Poor Preparation, Changing Virus Could Slow Vaccine Effort
- Nasal Spray COVID Vaccine Shows Promise in Trials
- NYC May Run Out of COVID-19 Vaccines
- Getting the COVID Vaccine? A Good Night's Sleep Will Help
- California First State With Over 3 Million Coronavirus Cases
- Once Nursing Home Residents Get a COVID Shot, Can Their Families Visit Them?
- I've Already Had COVID-19, Do I Need the Vaccine?
- Members of Biden's Pandemic Response Team Optimistic About Vaccine Rollout
- Pharmacy Chains Ready to Supply COVID-19 Vaccines to Americans
- Answering Your Questions on the COVID Vaccines
- Biden Gets Second Dose of COVID Vaccine
- Biden Says He Will Release All Vaccine Doses
- Allergists' Group Offers Guidelines on COVID-19 Vaccines
- Health Officials Work to Speed Up U.S. COVID Vaccine Rollout
- Moderna COVID Vaccine Protection May Last Years, Company Claims
- Allergic Reactions to COVID Vaccines Are Rare, Resolved on Site: CDC
- NFL Urges Teams to Offer Stadiums as Vaccination Centers
- Will Vaccines Get Us Back to Normalcy by Summer?
- U.S. COVID Hospitalizations Reach Record High as California Hospitals Run Out of Oxygen
- Your 'To-Do' List as You Await a COVID Vaccine
- Allergists Offer Reassurance on COVID Vaccine Safety
- Are Two Full Doses of COVID Vaccine Needed?
- Ways to Speed COVID Vaccine Uptake
- Britain to Try Mix-and-Match COVID-19 Vaccinations
- 'Warp Speed' Vaccine Distribution Too Slow
- Pfizer Nears Deal to Provide More COVID Vaccine to Americans
- First 10 Days After COVID Hospital Discharge Risky
- FDA Clears Second COVID Vaccine for Emergency Use
- Don't Believe Vaccine Myths
- FDA to Approve Moderna COVID Vaccine
- U.S. Indigenous Communities Start Receiving COVID-19 Vaccines
- Most Americans Oppose COVID Vaccine Mandates: Survey
- U.S. Negotiating With Pfizer for More COVID Vaccine Doses
- Can You Stop COVID Precautions After Vaccination?
- COVID Vaccine Won't Reach All the World's People Until 2022: Study
- What You Need to Know About the COVID Vaccine
- Rollout of Pfizer COVID Vaccine Begins in U.S.
- No Early Vaccination of White House Officials
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.