Gallbladder cancer, also known as malignant neoplasm of the gallbladder, is a disease caused by the abnormal growth of cells in the tissues of the gallbladder. Read more: How Can You Tell If You Have Gallbladder Cancer? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Liver Health: 14 Best and Worst Foods for Your Liver
Get some simple diet tips to keep your liver healthy, including the best veggies to keep disease away and some snacks you'll want...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Cancer: Cancer 'Remedies' That Don't Work
You may have read about an all-natural cure for cancer. While many therapies are helpful, some aren't worth your time or money....
Picture of Gallbladder
Front View of the Gallbladder. The gallbladder is a small pouch that sits just under the liver. See a picture of the Gallbladder...
Cancer: Symptoms of Common Cancers in Men
Can men get breast cancer? Cancer symptoms men need to watch out for include skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight...
What Are the Top 11 Cancer-Fighting Foods?
Foods that fight cancer include phytochemicals, berries, turmeric, onions, and more. Learn how you can lower your risk of...
Related Disease Conditions
Gallbladder pain (often misspelled "gall bladder") is generally produced by of five problems, biliary colic, cholecystitis, gallstones, and pancreatitis. Causes of gallbladder pain include intermittent blockage of ducts by gallstones or gallstone inflammation and/or sludge that also may involve irritation or infection of surrounding tissues, or when a bile duct is completely blocked. Treatment of gallbladder depends on the cause, which may include surgery.
What Are the First Signs of a Bad Gallbladder?
A bad gallbladder can have a variety of causes. Learn the signs of a bad gallbladder, what causes a bad gallbladder, how doctors diagnose a bad gallbladder, and what you can do to treat a bad gallbladder. Gallbladder cancer is the uncontrolled growth of cells that starts in the gallbladder. The gallbladder is a small (around one-inch wide and three-inch long), hollow, pear-shaped organ that sits under the right lobe of the liver.
What Type of Surgeon Removes Gallbladder?
Usually, surgeons who specialize in gastrointestinal surgery (digestive tract surgery) perform surgeries related to the gallbladder. Therefore, gallbladder may be operated upon and removed by either a gastrointestinal surgeon or general surgeon with appropriate training.
Is Gallbladder Cancer Aggressive?
Gallbladder cancer (GBC) is one of the aggressive cancers of the biliary tract. The gallbladder generates and concentrates bile that aids in the digestion of fats. GBC is a rare, yet deadly cancer of the gastrointestinal tract.
Gallbladder cancer is a rare form of cancer with symptoms that include jaundice, abdominal pain, fever, nausea and vomiting, abdominal lumps, and bloating. Risk factors include being female and Native American. Treatment of gallbladder cancer depends upon the stage of the cancer, the type of gallbladder cancer, and whether the cancer can be removed by surgery.
Mercedes Benz Sign (Gallbladder): Radiology and Medical
The presence of Mercedes Benz sign in radiological findings (computed tomography or CT of the abdomen) may indicate gallstones in the belly. Mercedes Benz sign is a collection of nitrogen gas among the stones.
Can Gallbladder Cancer Be Cured?
Gallbladder cancer can be cured if it is treated before the cancer spreads, making the prognosis of early diagnosis generally favorable.
What Does Gallbladder Cancer Feel Like?
Gallbladder cancer is generally hard to diagnose at an early stage. This is because it does not cause any specific signs or symptoms at an earlier stage. Also, the gallbladder being hidden behind other organs makes cancer less likely to get detected.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Cancer FAQs
- Can Gallbladder Pain Continue after Gallbladder Surgery?
- Can Gallbladder Problems Cause Blood Clots?
- What Are Gallbladder Polyps?
- How Do I Get Rid of Diarrhea from Gallbladder Removal?
- What Is a Contracted Gallbladder?
- Do I Need to Change My Diet after Gallbladder Surgery?
- What Causes Gallbladder Pain?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Gallbladder Surgery During Pregnancy May Be Safer Than Waiting
- Supreme Court Justice Ginsberg Treated for Gallbladder Infection
- Sooner Is Usually Better for Gallbladder Surgery
- Pregnant Women Should Delay Gallbladder Surgery, Study Finds
- Patients OK With Fewer Opioids After Gallbladder Surgery
- Patients Have Many Options When Faced With Gallbladder Disease
- Daytime May Be Better for Gallbladder Removal
- Treatment Delays for Many Who Need Gallbladder Surgery: Study
- Less May Be More When It Comes to Gallbladder Surgery
- Complications More Likely With Emergency Gallbladder Surgery: Study
- Removing Gallbladder Sooner Cuts Costs, Readmissions
- Cancer Prevention: Eat to Lower Your Cancer Risk
- Cancer-Fighting Foods
- Fluoridated Water - Cancer Facts
- Cancer Prevention: What Works?
- Cancer: New Methods for Targeting
- Cancer Causing Agents - Carcinogens
- Fighting Cancer Fatigue
- Hope Amid Cancer
- Cancer Again
- Cancer: Living With Cancer
- Cancer Control Month
- Cancer Prevention and Garlic
- Cancer Prevention and Red Wine
- Cancer Prevention and Tea
- Cancer Facts, About Women