Treating hair loss at home involves understanding the potential reason for the hair fall or hair thinning.
Ask yourself a few things first:
- Is my hair dry?
- Do I have dandruff?
- Do I tie my hair too tightly?
- Am I taking a nutrient-rich diet for my hair?
- Am I too stressed out?
Getting answers to such questions can help you reach the cause and planning treatment according to the cause of hair loss can help you stop further hair fall.
Dry hair can be brittle and cause hair breakage as well as hair shedding. Try the following treatments:
- Apply hair oils or hair serums rich in coconut oil, argan oil, or almond oil for 20 minutes before the hair wash. Repeat thrice a week.
- Choose the right shampoo. Do not use too much shampoo on the hair, make sure all the shampoo is washed off the scalp. The deposits of shampoo over the scalp can cause itching and hair fall.
- Always condition the hair. You may use the conditioner after shampoo and wash it off or use a leave-in conditioner on the wet hair. Apply the conditioner just over the tips, never the scalp.
- Apply beaten egg-whites to your hair. Wash them off after 10 minutes.
- Use silk pillows, wide-tooth combs, and never pull at wet hair.
- Treat dandruff immediately
Tying your hair too tightly can cause a hair condition known as traction alopecia in which the hair gets pulled out of its roots. Hence, avoid any tight hairstyles that cause extreme pulling of your hair, such as tight ponytails.
Limit the use of hair styling tools, such as hot blow-drying, hot hairbrushes, curling irons, hair rollers, and hair straighteners. Use them only on certain occasions, such as your birthday or a wedding.
Sandalwood, lavender, rosemary, and thyme oils are used in aromatherapy and can help in resolving hair loss. You can try gently massaging one of these oils into your scalp for at least 2 minutes every night. Then, wrap your head in a warm towel to help it absorb.
Which vitamins and supplements can help treat hair loss?
Your hair derives its nutrition from the food you eat. The current health of your hair depends a lot on what you eat over the last few months. Several nutrient deficiencies can cause hair loss which includes:
- Proteins: Eat 2 eggs, 100 g of chicken, or a handful of pulses, cottage cheese, fish like sardines, salmons, amaranth, seeds and nuts, whole grains, and meat.
- Calcium: Include dairy products, such as milk, cheese or yogurt, or calcium-fortified soy milk, in your daily diet
- Iron: Have any of these iron-rich foods, meat, fish, poultry, tofu, broccoli, dates, jaggery, and all kinds of greens.
- Vitamin D: The natural sunlight in the early morning hours stimulates the production of Vitamin D. Hence, try to get your early dose of sunshine on sunny days. The foods that are important sources of Vitamin D include fatty fish like salmons, sardines, mushrooms, Vitamin D-fortified cow milk, and soy milk.
- Selenium: Although a less important nutrient, but its intake in minute quantities can help you reduce your hair loss. It is found abundantly in nuts and eggs.
You may also consider improving your biotin intake, which is a B-complex vitamin, for stronger hair growth. Biotin is present naturally in foods, such as
- Egg yolks
- Dairy products (milk, curd, cheese)
- Nuts (walnuts, almonds)
- Salmon fish
Supplements containing biotin may improve hair growth even if you are not biotin deficient.
Consulting your doctor or a certified nutritionist can help you select the right foods for your hair loss. The doctor may also prescribe vitamin pills to reduce hair loss and accelerate hair growth.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
American Academy of Dermatology. Hair loss: Tips for Managing. https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/hair-loss/treatment/tips
Top How Can I Treat My Hair Fall at Home? Related Articles
Effective Ways to Stop Hair Loss in MenHair loss is one of the common problems in men. There could be many causes of hair loss that include diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution, and genetics.
What Is the Best Treatment To Cure Telogen Effluvium?Learn what medical treatments can help treat telogen effluvium and help you manage this condition.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
Electrolysis vs Laser Hair RemovalElectrolysis is a method of hair removal in which an electrical current is sent through a hair follicle. Laser hair removal is a method of hair removal in which a laser (a concentrated beam of light) is used to remove unwanted hair.
Hair Loss (Alopecia)There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata, trichotillomania, and tinea capitis), telogen effluvium, and androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness).
Hair Loss: Alopecia, Thinning Hair in Men and WomenLearn about hair loss (alopecia) in women and men. Discover hair loss causes and treatments like shampoos and drugs, as well as how to prevent hair loss.
Hair Loss QuizTrue or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair. Learn what damages hair and what doesn't. Take the quiz!
How Can I Make My Hair Grow Superfast?You will hardly come across any person who does not want thick hair. No wonder, there are so many hair-care products, such as shampoos, oils, serums, and even supplements, in the market that claim to reduce your hair fall and promise you beautiful and thick hair.
How Common Is Hair Tourniquet?Hair tourniquet syndrome is a rare medical disorder in which part of the body such as a finger, toe or penis gets wrapped in hair very tightly. This is most common in babies if the parents, siblings or caretakers have long hair. Because a lot of hair tourniquets are resolved at home, they are probably underreported.
How Do You Treat Dry Damaged Hair at Home?Dry and frizzy hair is the most common problem faced by women across the world. Harsh winters and chemical products for hair and heat styling can be the culprits in damaging the hair. To check for the moisture content of the hair, take a dry strand of hair and gently pull both ends to stretch it.
How Do You Treat Extremely Dry Hair?Dull, frizzy and unmanageable hair haunts most of our hair care dreams. When hair is stripped of its moisture and becomes dry, it’s also more vulnerable to tangling, breakage and hair loss. You can apply oil, conditioner and hair serum to treat dry hair. Ditching heat styling helps dry hair. So does eating a healthy diet and staying hydrated.
Is Hair Transplant Permanent?Yes. The main advantage of a hair transplant is that it is a permanent procedure. The long-term outcome of a hair transplant is subject to certain conditions.