Pregnancy can be exhausting and uncomfortable. But as your body changes throughout your pregnancy, you and your partner can still enjoy great sex by choosing positions that are both safe and satisfying.
8 comfortable sex positions to try during pregnancy
- Woman on top: In this position, you straddle your partner while he is on his back. Because you have control over the depth of penetration, this position can be particularly comfortable, especially in the later stages of pregnancy.
- Reverse cowgirl: Reverse cowgirl gives you complete control, allowing you to quickly adjust if something feels off. You are on top but facing backward, and you can use your hands to do whatever feels right, whether it is clitoral stimulation or supporting your abdomen or breasts.
- Kneeling: Your partner kneels on the bed, and you sit back in their lap, resembling a reverse kneeling cowgirl. This position is ideal for pregnancy because there is no pressure on you, and your partner performs most of the movements.
- Seated: You sit on the edge of your bed or in a sturdy chair, with your partner standing or kneeling in front of you (whichever is appropriate for the height of the bed or chair). This position is completely safe and can be pleasurable for both partners during pregnancy.
- Spooning: Spooning is an excellent sex position for a pregnant woman as it relieves pressure on your uterus and lower back. Because penetration is usually shallower in a spooning position, it can be especially useful if you find deep penetration uncomfortable during pregnancy.
- Doggy: If you are nervous about sex during pregnancy, this sex position is a great way to control the speed and depth of penetration without putting any pressure on your abdomen. If being on all fours puts too much strain on your shoulders, arms, and wrists, you can place your forearms on the bed or floor, palms down.
- Scissors: Sex can be slower and gentler in this position, which involves both partners lying on opposite ends of the bed and scissoring your legs together.
- Standing: Standing while leaning forward with your hands on the side of the bed, back of the couch, countertop, or dresser is another position to try during pregnancy. This relieves the pressure on your abdomen and allows you to communicate with your partner and have them stimulate your clitoris.
What are other ways to satisfy your partner during pregnancy?
When it comes to satisfying your sexual needs and that of your partner, communication is key. Talk to your partner openly and lovingly about how you can maintain physical intimacy even if sex is not an option during pregnancy.
For example, other ways to pleasure your partner include:
- Mutual masturbation
- Oral sex
- Sex toys
If something does not feel right for either of you, talk about it and try something else.
Is it safe to have sex during pregnancy?
Sex is perfectly safe during pregnancy. In fact, most doctors recommend having sex with your partner during pregnancy if both parties are healthy and you have no history of pregnancy-related complications.
Your baby is protected by your uterus, cervix, and amniotic fluid, all of which cushion your baby and guard against infection. According to studies on miscarriage, there does not appear to be a link between sex and early pregnancy loss or preterm birth. If you are concerned about how safe it is to have sex during pregnancy, consult your doctor.
If you experience heavy bleeding, painful cramps, or amniotic fluid leakage after sex, however, seek immediate medical help.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Bouchez C. Pregnant Passions: Keep Intimacy Alive. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/baby/features/pregnant-passions-keep-intimacy-alive
Cleveland Clinic. Sex During Pregnancy: Your Questions Answered. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/sex-during-pregnancy-your-questions-answered/
Healthtalk. Pregnancy Relationships and sex. https://healthtalk.org/pregnancy/relationships-and-sex
National Institutes of Health. What are some common signs of pregnancy? https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/pregnancy/conditioninfo/signs
Top How Can I Satisfy My Man During Pregnancy Related Articles
Do Men or Women Feel More Pleasure During Sex?Everyone feels pleasure differently during sex. Both men and women can feel great pleasure during sex.
What Are the Do's and Don'ts During the First Trimester of Pregnancy?The first trimester of your pregnancy is the first twelve weeks that you're pregnant. The do's during the first trimester of pregnancy include getting prenatal care and maintaining your health, rest and mental health; the don't include drinking alcohol, smoking, using drugs, eating dangerous foods and engaging in risky behaviors.
Health and Sex: Exercises for Better SexWant to get more out of your time between the sheets? Add these exercises from this WebMD slide show to your workout routine. They're good for both men and women.
How Can You Get in Shape While Pregnant?Staying healthy can make pregnancy more comfortable and make labor and the postpartum period easier. Talk to your doctor about staying in shape while pregnant to design a nutrition and exercise plan.
Is Sex Safe During Pregnancy?You should talk to a healthcare provider if you feel like your situation is unique, but the general answer is yes—sex is safe during pregnancy!
Pregnancy Myths and Facts QuizBeing pregnant is a delicate time for both mother and baby. Take this pregnancy myths and facts quiz to separate the myths and facts about being pregnant, and learn the truth behind healthy pregnancies!
Sex & Love QuizRelationships, sex, and love! Could it be that what motivates physical attraction in us may be all in our minds? Take the Sex & Love Quiz to challenge yourself on healthy human sexuality!
Sexual Health: 12 Tips for Better SexCan you learn new techniques to breathe better? Healthy breathing helps you maintain the right balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood. Breathing training and other healthy habits can improve your lung capacity.
Sexual HealthSexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's sexual health concerns, and men's sexual health concerns. Learn about the most common sexual conditions affecting men and women.
Sexual Health: Common Sex Injuries and Other HazardsSex is supposed to be pleasurable, but make the wrong moves in the bedroom, and it can hurt.
Stages of Pregnancy: Week by WeekSee pictures on the various stages of pregnancy. See and learn what changes a woman's body goes through and view fetal images of how her baby grows during the 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
Pregnancy: 7 Common Third Trimester TestsTesting is often recommended during the third trimester of pregnancy. These tests are designed to ensure the health and safety of both the child and mother. Common tests during the third trimester of a woman's pregnancy include:
- group B streptococcus screening,
- electronic fetal heart monitoring,
- nonstress test,
- contraction stress test, and
- a biophysical profile.