Replace eggs in a cake
Eggs are added to a cake to give it a structure and its fluffy texture. Eggs, when added to the cake have the following function:
- They act as binders by combining ingredients and holding them together.
- They trap air pockets in the food, causing the dough to rise while heating. This gives the baked goods their light texture.
- It gives moisture to other ingredients.
- They help to promote the flavors of other ingredients and browns when exposed to heat.
- They also enhance the taste as well as the appearance of baked goods.
There may be a few instances where eggs should be replaced, such as:
- If the person has an egg allergy
- If the person is on a vegan diet
- If the person is concerned about the cholesterol content or avian/influenza outbreak
- If there are considerable fluctuations in global egg supply and pricing
However, fortunately, there are various replacements for eggs, which include:
For eggs as binders, you can replace one egg with ingredients like:
- Half of a medium mashed banana
- One-fourth cup of applesauce
- One-fourth cup of pureed avocadoes or pumpkin
- Three and a half tablespoons gelatin blend (mix one cup boiling water and two teaspoons unflavored gelatin)
- One tablespoon of ground flax seeds with three tablespoons of warm water
- Xanthan gum
- One tablespoon of agar-agar and four tablespoons of boiling water
- Two tablespoons of mashed potato
- Two tablespoons arrowroot
- Three tablespoons aquafaba or canned bean liquid
- One tablespoon of soy lecithin powder
For eggs used as a leavening agent, you can replace one egg with:
- A mixture of one and a half tablespoon of vegetable oil with the same amount of water and one teaspoon of baking powder.
- One-fourth cup of carbonated water
For eggs as an emulsifier, you may replace one egg with soybean proteins. This will enhance the texture and viscosity of the cakes.
For eggs as a moistening agent, you may replace one egg with:
- One-fourth cup of mashed banana
- One-fourth cup (60 grams) of silken tofu (softer version of tofu due to high water content) to add moistness and viscosity
- One-fourth cup of apple sauce
- One-fourth cup of pureed avocado
- One-fourth cup of garbanzo beans
Other ingredients that can replace one egg include:
- Mixing one teaspoon of baking soda with one tablespoon of vinegar for fluffiness
- One-fourth cup (60 grams) of yogurt or buttermilk to add viscosity
- Three tablespoons of nut butter
- One-fourth cup of condensed milk
There are mixes available commercially that may be useful as an egg replacement, which includes:
- Chia gel and garbanzo seed mix: Combine one tablespoon of the mixture with two tablespoons of water to replace one egg.
- Potato starch and tapioca flour: Combine one and a half teaspoon of the mixture with two tablespoons of water to replace one egg
- Soy flour, wheat gluten, corn syrup, and algin: Combine one tablespoon of the mixture with three tablespoons of water to replace one egg.
Whey protein concentrate can be used in the recipes like pound cake, which requires the use of more than three eggs per batch. They are commercially available.
Burla M. In Search of Egg-Quivalents. Chemical Engineer London then Rugby. October 2008;28. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280237497_In_search_of_egg-quivalents
Newgent J. Egg Alternatives. April 17, 2019. Eat Right. https://www.eatright.org/food/nutrition/vegetarian-and-special-diets/egg-alternatives
Kids With Food Allergies. Cooking and Baking Without Egg Ingredients. https://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/egg-allergy-recipe-substitutions.aspx
Top How Can I Replace Eggs In A Cake? Related Articles
Are Eggs Good for an Upset Stomach?Eggs are one of the most popular breakfast foods. They have been rightly considered a powerhouse of nutrients. If you have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), eggs may worsen your cramps and bloating.
Eggs: 6 Easy WaysIn moderation, eggs are nutrient-rich and healthy. Learn about eating eggs in moderation as part of a healthy diet and try these easy recipes for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Can You Use Mayo Instead of Eggs?This is not recommended. Though mayonnaise, also referred to as mayo, contains egg yolk, it does not provide as much protein as present in a single egg. A hundred gram of eggs provides 13 grams (26% of daily recommended intake) of proteins while the same quantity of mayo gives only 1 gram (2% of daily recommended intake) of proteins.
Common Medical Abbreviations & Terms
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions and information in regard to a patient's health condition, prescription drugs they are to take, or medical procedures that have been ordered. There is no approved this list of common medical abbreviations, acronyms, and terminology used by doctors and other health- care professionals. You can use this list of medical abbreviations and acronyms written by our doctors the next time you can't understand what is on your prescription package, blood test results, or medical procedure orders. Examples include:
- ANED: Alive no evidence of disease. The patient arrived in the ER alive with no evidence of disease.
- ARF: Acute renal (kidney) failure
- cap: Capsule.
- CPAP: Continuous positive airway pressure. A treatment for sleep apnea.
- DJD: Degenerative joint disease. Another term for osteoarthritis.
- DM: Diabetes mellitus. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- HA: Headache
- IBD: Inflammatory bowel disease. A name for two disorders of the gastrointestinal (BI) tract, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- JT: Joint
- N/V: Nausea or vomiting.
- p.o.: By mouth. From the Latin terminology per os.
- q.i.d.: Four times daily. As in taking a medicine four times daily.
- RA: Rheumatoid arthritis
- SOB: Shortness of breath.
- T: Temperature. Temperature is recorded as part of the physical examination. It is one of the "vital signs."
Benefits of EggsEggs have gotten a bad rap in some circles. Yes, they do have some cholesterol and fat. But they also have loads of nutrients and protein. Learn more about the health benefits of eggs.