Home remedy for damaged hair
Everybody wants healthy, gorgeous hair, and in a quest to do so, we many times do more damage than good to our hair. How many times do we break the promise of not using heat on the hair while getting ready for a special occasion! That quick blow-drying morning routine while rushing to the office or that vibrant new hair color, all add up to the ever-increasing burden on the health of the hair. Be it perming, curling, or straightening, there is a short phase of glamour added to the hair, but you end up with dull, damaged, and thinning hair. Once the damage is done, the option left usually is trimming off the damaged ends. You can, however, follow some tips at home to repair the damaged hair and prevent further damage from occurring. Some of the tricks to be followed at home to rescue your hair from damage include:
- Egg and yogurt hair mask: Take an egg (both yolk and egg white) in a bowl. Add two teaspoonful of yogurt and a teaspoon of honey to it. Mix the ingredients well to get a creamy texture. Apply this mask to your washed hair. Leave for about 30 minutes to 1 hour and wash your hair. This will make your hair smooth, voluminous, and lustrous.
- Moisturize your hair: Every time you wash your hair, it loses its moisture and oils. Using a conditioner after you shampoo your hair will add moisture and strength to your hair. You may also apply a leave-in hair conditioner or hair serum to your hair to make them smooth and strong.
- Warm oil massage: A warm oil massage can moisturize your scalp and stimulate the hair follicles causing hair growth. A gentle oil massage 30 minutes to an hour before you wash your hair will help repair the damage and prevent further damage. You can use oils such as olive oil or coconut oils mixed with a few drops of essential oil such as tea tree oil and peppermint oil to stimulate your hair follicles.
- Nutrient supplements: Vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids are vital for healthy hair. You may take over-the-counter multivitamins or ask your doctor to suggest appropriate multivitamins and other supplements for healthy hair. Micronutrients such as biotin, vitamin C, and vitamin E can make your hair grow faster and thicker. You may also take omega-3 fatty acid supplements such as fish oil capsules to stimulate hair growth.
- Healthy diet: No matter what you apply externally if you do not eat a healthy diet and adequate nutrients, you will not get optimum results. A diet rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals is essential for healthy hair. Some of the food items that you can include in your diet to get healthy hair include eggs, fish, berries, nuts, spinach and other leafy greens, jaggery, and fruits such as avocados and oranges.
- Avoid heat-styling your hair: Heat such as during blow-drying or hair styling can strip away the natural oils and moisture from your hair making them brittle and vulnerable to hair fall.
- Avoid washing your hair too often: A healthy and clean scalp is essential for healthy hair. Washing your hair too often, however, can make them dry and brittle. Restrict using shampoo on your hair to 2-3 days a week.
- Go sulfate-free: Sulfates present in your hair care products such as shampoos can strip off oils and moisture from your hair. Using sulfate-free shampoos and hair conditioners can protect your hair from further damage.
- Keep your hair cut manageable: Avoid having long hair if you have no time to manage it. A well-tended bob or shoulder-length hair looks chic and is no fuss for a woman with a hectic schedule.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top How Can I Repair My Damaged Hair at Home? Related Articles
Effective Ways to Stop Hair Loss in MenHair loss is one of the common problems in men. There could be many causes of hair loss that include diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution, and genetics.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
Do Hair Transplants Really Work?A hair transplant is a procedure in which there is the removal of small pieces (punch grafts) of tissue from the hair-bearing scalp. This is called a donor area, and it is cut into smaller pieces to place these on a bald or thinning area of the scalp.
Electrolysis vs Laser Hair RemovalElectrolysis is a method of hair removal in which an electrical current is sent through a hair follicle. Laser hair removal is a method of hair removal in which a laser (a concentrated beam of light) is used to remove unwanted hair.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Care SlideshowLooking for the best kept hair secrets? See this hair care guide and get tips about hair that is thin, gray, curly, colored, overprocessed, dandruff-prone, and much more.
Hair Loss (Alopecia)There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata, trichotillomania, and tinea capitis), telogen effluvium, and androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness).
Hair Loss: Alopecia, Thinning Hair in Men and WomenLearn about hair loss (alopecia) in women and men. Discover hair loss causes and treatments like shampoos and drugs, as well as how to prevent hair loss.
Hair Loss QuizTrue or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair. Learn what damages hair and what doesn't. Take the quiz!
Hair RemovalThere are many different types of hair removal: shaving, plucking, waxing, depilation, laser hair removal, oral medications, and electrolysis. Laser hair removal is one of the longest-lasting methods of hair removal. Unfortunately, no hair-removal technique is permanent when it comes to getting rid of unwanted hair.
How Can I Remove Facial Hair Permanently at Home?Most women are bothered by unwanted facial hair and look for permanent options to get rid of it. The only advanced technique for hair removal that can permanently remove facial hair is electrolysis. Some of the methods that you can try for facial hair removal at home include shaving, waxing, depilatory creams, prescription medications and homemade masks.
How Do You Treat Dry Damaged Hair at Home?Dry and frizzy hair is the most common problem faced by women across the world. Harsh winters and chemical products for hair and heat styling can be the culprits in damaging the hair. To check for the moisture content of the hair, take a dry strand of hair and gently pull both ends to stretch it.
Is Hair Transplant Permanent?Yes. The main advantage of a hair transplant is that it is a permanent procedure. The long-term outcome of a hair transplant is subject to certain conditions.
19 Health Problems in Men: Snoring, Hair Loss, and MoreWhat are the biggest body health issues that plague men? Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, hair loss, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get tips on dealing with male body problems and the prevention of common issues in men's health.
What Are the Best Ways to Get Thicker Hair?Hair loss and damage can occur due to genetic tendency for baldness, hormones (pregnancy), medications (cancer medication) and other medical illnesses (stress, thyroid disease or autoimmune diseases). Home remedies for thicker hair include massaging the scalp with oil, using minoxidil, applying hair masks or aloe vera, eating a balanced diet or taking hair growth supplements and nutrients.