How can I make my skin tighter?
Most people experience sagging skin between the ages of 35 and 40 years old. Sagging skin can be unappealing and result in low self-confidence in most of the population. As we age, the production of proteins that are responsible for keeping our skin plump, firm and smooth (collagen and elastin) declines gradually, resulting in sagging skin on the face, neck and body. Sagging skin can also be a result of
All the above factors destroy collagen and inhibit its production leading to a loss of skin elasticity.
There are multiple treatment options to make skin tighter. Some of the natural or home remedies to firm the skin include
- Facial exercises: Various exercises to strengthen the facial muscles may help make the face look more sculpted. You can exercise the cheek muscles, muscles around the mouth and neck muscles to reduce the appearance of sagging. These exercises are available online. Your physiotherapist can also explain these exercises to you.
- Massaging oils: Oil massage can have a great effect on firming the skin. Some of the most effective massage oils include
- Virgin coconut oil: Coconut oil penetrates deep into skin cells. It hydrates and nourishes the skin. Massage the oil in an upward circular motion for 5 to 10 minutes. Leave the oil on overnight.
- Almond oil: Almond oil is rich in vitamin E. It helps to firm the skin. Massage the oil into the skin for 20 minutes before taking a shower.
- Vitamin E oil: Vitamin E is essential for glowing and firm skin. Due to its antioxidant properties, it improves skin texture and health. Massage this oil into your skin for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Fish oil: Fish oil capsules can also be useful for skin tightening. Massage this oil into your skin for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera consists of aloesin that helps improve skin elasticity and the moisture content of skin. Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the skin and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before washing it off.
- Pomegranate: Phytonutrients present in pomegranate help tighten the skin. Apply pomegranate paste onto the skin and massage it for a few minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Yogurt: Yogurt, when used as a face mask, can promote skin health. Lactic acid in yogurt shrinks the pores and tightens the skin. However, there aren’t sufficient studies to prove the effectiveness of yogurt in skin tightening. You may apply yogurt directly onto the face or combine it with other substances to make a face mask.
- Turmeric: Curcumin present in turmeric improves the elasticity and hydration of the skin. You can make a paste consisting of one tablespoon each of turmeric and fresh cream or yogurt and apply it onto your face. Let it remain for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
Even if home remedies seem to be appealing, do not completely rely on them. Apart from these home remedies, your dermatologist may prescribe cosmetic procedures to tighten the skin, which include
- An ultrasound procedure that sends heat deep into the skin
- A radiofrequency device that when placed against the skin heats the tissue beneath it
- Laser treatment sends heat deep into the skin without damaging the top layer of the skin
Skin-firming creams or lotions may bring about subtle skin tightening because they do not penetrate deep into the skin.
Adopting some lifestyle changes can also help tighten the skin. These include
- Regular exercise to tighten loose skin caused due to excessive weight loss
- Drinking enough water to restore the youthfulness of the skin
- Exfoliating the skin once a week to remove dead cells, which also helps to tighten the skin
- Using the right body moisturizers to firm the skin
- Massaging the skin regularly with oils to improve circulation and blood flow
- Refraining from smoking
- Regular use of sunscreen
- Avoiding soaps containing sulfates
Surgery should always be the last option for skin tightening. Some of the surgeries done on specific parts of the body include
- Face lift
- Lower body lift
- Arm lift
- Tummy tuck
- Upper body lift
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Science Translational Medicine
The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
American Academy of Dermatology Association
Top How Can I Make My Skin Tighter Related Articles
Anti-Aging SkincareSome of the most important tricks in the fight against aging come down to the basics. Learn how washing and moisturizing your skin and other skin care can help you age more gracefully.
How Can I Hide My Wrinkles?There are numerous options for reducing the appearance of wrinkles. Some methods are as easy as applying the right skin cream. Other tactics involve surgery and significant recovery time.
How Can I Make My Face Glow Naturally? 15 Skincare TipsEach of us secretly desires a glowing face. It is not surprising that the market is flooded with cosmetics claiming to make your skin glow. Healthy and glowing skin is not an overnight effect but a result of daily persistent efforts.
See How Your Life Affects Your SkinSee how your life affects your skin. The choices you make every day affect the appearance of your skin. Learn how to avoid dry skin and wrinkles and to keep your skin healthy with these helpful beauty tips.
How Much Does It Cost for Laser Skin Resurfacing?Laser resurfacing is a procedure that removes layers of the skin and improves its appearance or treats minor facial flaws such as blemishes or acne scars by using lasers.
The Skin (Human Anatomy): Picture, Definition, Function and Skin ConditionsThe skin is the largest organ in the body that covers the entire external surface. It protects the internal organs from germs and thus helps prevent infections. The skin is made up of three main layers.
Skin Picture QuizCould you identify a scabies infestation? Take the Skin Diseases Pictures Quiz and learn to identify common conditions that plague human skin.
Skin PictureThe skin is the largest organ of the body, with a total area of about 20 square feet. See a picture of the Skin and learn more about the health topic.
Skin Problems as You AgeAging skin can cause wrinkles, liver spots, and leg sores. Learn the cause of spider and varicose veins. See pictures of skin tags, actinic keratosis, and seborrheic keratosis. Learn how to care for skin to prevent aging conditions like solar elastosis and cherry angiomas.
Skin QuizWhat's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!
The Skin: 7 Most Important Layers and FunctionsThe skin is the largest organ in the body and it covers the body's entire external surface. It is made up of seven layers. The first five layers form the epidermis, which is the outermost, thick layer of the skin. The hypodermis is the deepest layer of skin situated below the dermis.
What Happens When You Get a Body Wrap?People use body wraps for a variety of reasons. Some of these reasons include helping your body get rid of unhealthy toxins, excess fluids, and dead skin. Different types of body wrap target different goals and unique types of skin.
What Is CO2 Laser Skin Resurfacing?CO2 laser skin resurfacing is a procedure involving the use of carbon dioxide (CO2) and a skin surface-removing laser (ablative laser) to remove scars, warts and deep wrinkles. CO2 skin laser resurfacing can also be used to treat age spots, sun-damaged skin and superficial to deep hyperpigmentation.
WrinklesWrinkles, whether they be fine line or deep furrows, typically appear on areas of the body that receive a high amount of exposure to the sun. Smoking, light skin type, hairstyle, the way you dress, your occupational and recreational habits, and heredity are all factors that promote wrinkling. Medical treatments for wrinkles include antioxidants, moisturizers, alpha-hydroxy acids, and vitamin A acid. Cosmetic procedures that treat wrinkles include dermabrasion, microdermabrasion, glycolic acid peels, laser resurfacing, Botox, and fillers.
How to Reduce Wrinkles with Lifestyle ChangesIf you want to reduce wrinkles under eyes, around eyes, on forehead, on hands and on your face, try these lifestyle changes. Antiaging tricks such as sleep position, diet, and wrinkle treatments. Simple lifestyle changes can reduce wrinkles around the eyes, on the forehead, and around the mouth.