The signs of healthy hair include thick, soft, and shiny hair. Having silky hair is something not every person is born with. Your hair may become dry and brittle if your diet is not healthy or if you use hair products that are not meant for your hair type.
When your hair fails to retain the moisture from the natural oils secreted by the scalp, they become dry and rough. Here are a few changes that you can incorporate into your lifestyle and hair care regimen to get soft and silky hair.
- Choose hair care products as per your hair type. Concentrate on your hair type while buying shampoos and conditioners from the market. The formulations of the hair care product have been decided according to the hair types, which are oily, dry, or damaged hair.
- Do not shampoo your hair daily. Shampooing hair daily strips away oil from your hair. Instead, consider shampooing twice or thrice in a week. If your hair is oily, then you can try dry shampoos. Shampoo only the scalp, not the tips.
- Always apply a conditioner. Never forget to apply a conditioner for 2-5 minutes and wash it off after shampooing your hair. Use conditioner only on the tips of the hair and not on the scalp or the entire length. Conditioners help lock in the moisture. Reduce the static electricity between the hair strands and can offer some protection from the sun.
- Oil your hair regularly. If you have dry hair, do not wash your hair without oiling your hair for at least 1 hour before shampooing. You can make use of any hair-healthy oil, such as coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, or argan oil. Massaging the scalp with oil is especially good for dry scalp. If you have an oily scalp, apply hair oil only to the strands and ends and avoid the roots of the hair.
- Use hair masks. Making use of hair masks once a week can help retain the oil in your hair. Apply any of the home-made hair masks given below, keep the mask on for 1 hour, wash it off with shampoo, and then, apply a hair conditioner.
- Combination of egg yolk and avocados
- Bananas and avocados
- Aloe vera gel
- Do not wash your hair with hot water. Hot hair dries your hair out. You can either wash with lukewarm water or cold water.
- Rinse off the conditioner with cool water. After conditioning, end the hair wash by rinsing off the conditioner with cold water.
- Try hot oil treatments. Warm any of the oils like coconut oil, olive oil, or castor oil and gently massage into your hair for a few minutes. Tie the hair and cover them with a shower cap. Above this, wrap a towel dipped in hot water. Keep your hair in this position for 10 minutes and wash off with shampoo and then condition your hair.
- Use home-made conditioners occasionally. You can use any of the following products as a conditioner after washing your hair:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Limit the use of heating tools. Styling tools, such as hair straighteners, hot air hairdryers, make your hair lose its natural oils and can cause hair damage if used frequently. Stay away from such heating tools and use them only occasionally. Use heat-protectant before using the heating tools on your hair.
- Avoid certain hairstyles. Certain hairstyles that pull your hair tightly, such as ponytails and the use of tight hairbands on your forehead, can damage your hair. Tie your hair loosely and not tightly.
- Protect your hair from the sun. Cover your hair with a scarf whenever you go outdoors in the sun.
- Minimize the use of hair colors/dyes. Hair coloring or perming treatments can damage the texture of your hair if done frequently. Restrict their use and wait for at least 6 weeks between two hair treatments.
- Trim the hair. Trimming the hair once in 3-4 months helps in reducing the split ends and gives you healthy-looking hair.
- Make dietary changes.
- Add healthy lipids to your diet in the form of omega-3 fatty acids found in fatty fishes and flaxseed oil
- Eat iron-rich foods, such as beetroot, dates, beans, lentils, spinach, jaggery (replace sugar with jaggery)
- Consume biotin-rich foods, such as eggs, spinach, almonds
- Include Vitamin C in your diet by consuming citrus fruits, such as oranges, Indian Gooseberries (Amla), limes.
- Get Vitamin D naturally by exposing yourself to the sunlight in the early hours of the morning for a few minutes. Consume foods like egg yolk, mushrooms, and fish.
If the above home remedies do not help make your hair soft, silky, or healthy, consider visiting a skin specialist or dermatologist. They can identify any medical condition, such as nutritional deficiencies, and treat your hair problems accordingly.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Gavazzoni Dias MF. Hair cosmetics: an overview. Int J Trichology. 2015;7(1):2-15. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4387693/
Chiu CH, Huang SH, Wang HM. A Review: Hair Health, Concerns of Shampoo Ingredients and Scalp Nourishing Treatments. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2015;16(12):1045-1052. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26278532/
Keis K, Persaud D, Kamath YK, et al. Investigation of penetration abilities of various oils into human hair fibers. J Cosmet Sci. 2005;56(5):283-295. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16258695/
Top How Can I Make My Hair Soft and Silky? Related Articles
Effective Ways to Stop Hair Loss in MenHair loss is one of the common problems in men. There could be many causes of hair loss that include diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution, and genetics.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Care SlideshowLooking for the best kept hair secrets? See this hair care guide and get tips about hair that is thin, gray, curly, colored, overprocessed, dandruff-prone, and much more.
Hair Loss (Alopecia)There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata, trichotillomania, and tinea capitis), telogen effluvium, and androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness).
Hair Loss: Alopecia, Thinning Hair in Men and WomenLearn about hair loss (alopecia) in women and men. Discover hair loss causes and treatments like shampoos and drugs, as well as how to prevent hair loss.
Hair Loss QuizTrue or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair. Learn what damages hair and what doesn't. Take the quiz!
How Can I Make My Hair Grow Superfast?You will hardly come across any person who does not want thick hair. No wonder, there are so many hair-care products, such as shampoos, oils, serums, and even supplements, in the market that claim to reduce your hair fall and promise you beautiful and thick hair.
How Can I Remove Facial Hair Permanently at Home?Most women are bothered by unwanted facial hair and look for permanent options to get rid of it. The only advanced technique for hair removal that can permanently remove facial hair is electrolysis. Some of the methods that you can try for facial hair removal at home include shaving, waxing, depilatory creams, prescription medications and homemade masks.
How Common Is Hair Tourniquet?Hair tourniquet syndrome is a rare medical disorder in which part of the body such as a finger, toe or penis gets wrapped in hair very tightly. This is most common in babies if the parents, siblings or caretakers have long hair. Because a lot of hair tourniquets are resolved at home, they are probably underreported.
How Do You Treat Dry Damaged Hair at Home?Dry and frizzy hair is the most common problem faced by women across the world. Harsh winters and chemical products for hair and heat styling can be the culprits in damaging the hair. To check for the moisture content of the hair, take a dry strand of hair and gently pull both ends to stretch it.
How Long Do Hair Supplements Take to Work?Hair growth vitamins or herbal supplements are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. Taking hair growth supplements does not produce results overnight; it usually takes a long time (one to five years) to see results.
Is Hair Transplant Permanent?Yes. The main advantage of a hair transplant is that it is a permanent procedure. The long-term outcome of a hair transplant is subject to certain conditions.
19 Health Problems in Men: Snoring, Hair Loss, and MoreWhat are the biggest body health issues that plague men? Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, hair loss, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get tips on dealing with male body problems and the prevention of common issues in men's health.
Premature Gray Hair PicturePremature graying is genetically determined for the most part, David Bank, MD, tells WebMD. See a picture of Premature Gray Hair and learn more about the health topic.
What Are the Best Ways to Get Thicker Hair?Hair loss and damage can occur due to genetic tendency for baldness, hormones (pregnancy), medications (cancer medication) and other medical illnesses (stress, thyroid disease or autoimmune diseases). Home remedies for thicker hair include massaging the scalp with oil, using minoxidil, applying hair masks or aloe vera, eating a balanced diet or taking hair growth supplements and nutrients.