Hair growth tips
You will hardly come across any person who does not want thick hair. No wonder, there are so many hair-care products, such as shampoos, oils, serums, and even supplements, in the market that claim to reduce your hair fall and promise you beautiful and thick hair. Many times, you end up with no satisfactory improvement in your hair despite using these products and trying various remedies. This may happen when the underlying cause of hair fall is not addressed. The health of your hair is not limited to your scalp, there may be several conditions that can cause hair falls, such as hypothyroidism, pregnancy, and anemia.
If you think you suffer from hair loss and notice that your hair growth is stunted, you can try these 12 lifestyle tips that can help your hair grow faster and see if these work for you.
- Rinse your hair with cool water. Decrease the temperature of the shower by a few degrees and rinse off the hair finally with cool water. This reduces the amount of hair loss after hair wash.
- Skip shampooing. Shampooing every day can strip the natural oils from your scalp and hair. Unless your hair becomes very oily or you suffer from dandruff, resort to shampooing only twice or thrice a week. In between the washes, the natural oils get some time to build up again in the hair.
- Use conditioner. Make it a habit to condition your hair with a conditioner every time you shampoo your hair. Conditioner restores the natural oils in the scalp lost by shampooing.
- Be careful while detangling your hair. Use a wide-tooth brush to remove tangles from your hair and avoid tugging on the hair while combing.
- Tie your hair loosely. If you suffer from hair fall, avoid tying your hair too tightly, such as in the form of tight ponytails. Even if you want to carry a ponytail, keep it loose.
- Restrict the use of heat on your hair. Hairstyling products, such as hot air hairdryers, hot hairbrushes, and hair straighteners make the hair dry, increasing the risk of hair breakage. Use them only on special occasions, such as your birthday or weddings. Alternatively, you can use hair serums to protect your hair while using them.
- Trim your hair regularly. As your hair grows, the chances of split end also increase which can lead to hair breakage. Trimming your hair at least once in two or three months helps remove the split ends.
- Massage your scalp. Get a scalp oil massage from someone else or massage your scalp by yourself. Massaging increases the blood circulation into your scalp and promotes hair growth. Use oils, such as warm coconut oil, olive oil, for massaging.
- Avoid wrapping your hair in a cotton towel. Wrapping hair in a cotton towel for soaking the excess water pulls the hair that can lead to their breakage. Instead switch to a microfiber towel for wrapping. Better is to remove the excess water by squeezing the hair gently.
- Improve your nutrition.
- Have protein-rich foods. Chicken, eggs, fish, pulses, cheese, and yogurt are great sources of protein.
- Increase your iron intake. You can get iron naturally in foods like beans, jaggery, beets, dates, spinach, and seafood.
- Eat biotin-rich foods. Eggs, almonds, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, cheese, mushrooms, and spinach are good sources of biotin. Soaking 5 to 10 almonds at night and consuming them the next day is a good option.
- Include foods containing Vitamin D and Vitamin C in your diet. Vitamin C is common in fruits, such as Indian Gooseberry (Amla), oranges, grapes, and limes. You can get ample Vitamin D from basking in the sun and food sources like fortified milk.
- Include good fats in your diet. Omega-3 fatty acids are needed for hair growth. Fatty fishes, such as sardines, salmon, are rich sources of these healthy fatty acids. Vegetarians can get their omega-3 fatty acids intake from flaxseed oil, which is also available in the form of capsules.
- Try minoxidil: The application of an over-the-counter lotion containing minoxidil over the scalp is effective in reducing hair loss and improving hair growth.
- Learn to de-stress yourself: Stress can be a major factor that can slow your hair growth and cause hair fall. Practice activities that help you relax and act as stressbusters. These include taking long walks, deep breathing, yoga, exercising regularly amongst many others.
- Wait for at least a month to see the results. If incorporation of these lifestyle changes does not help in making your hair grow fast and hair fall remains the same, consider visiting a dermatologist or hair specialist. They can identify the root cause of the condition and advise the right treatments for you.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Koyama T, Kobayashi K, Hama T, et al. Standardized Scalp Massage Results in Increased Hair Thickness by Inducing Stretching Forces to Dermal Papilla Cells in the Subcutaneous Tissue. Eplasty. 2016;16:e8. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4740347/
Top How Can I Make My Hair Grow Superfast? Related Articles
Effective Ways to Stop Hair Loss in MenHair loss is one of the common problems in men. There could be many causes of hair loss that include diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution, and genetics.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
Electrolysis vs Laser Hair RemovalElectrolysis is a method of hair removal in which an electrical current is sent through a hair follicle. Laser hair removal is a method of hair removal in which a laser (a concentrated beam of light) is used to remove unwanted hair.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Loss (Alopecia)There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata, trichotillomania, and tinea capitis), telogen effluvium, and androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness).
Hair Loss QuizTrue or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair. Learn what damages hair and what doesn't. Take the quiz!
How Can I Grow My Hair Faster Naturally?Hair, on average, grows about half an inch every month. There is no proven scientific way to make hair grow faster. Certain home remedies may help increase hair thickness and thus hair length, which include massaging your scalp, trimming your hair, brushing gently, using conditioner, eating a nutrient dense diet and other strategies.
How Common Is Hair Tourniquet?Hair tourniquet syndrome is a rare medical disorder in which part of the body such as a finger, toe or penis gets wrapped in hair very tightly. This is most common in babies if the parents, siblings or caretakers have long hair. Because a lot of hair tourniquets are resolved at home, they are probably underreported.
How Do You Treat Dry Damaged Hair at Home?Dry and frizzy hair is the most common problem faced by women across the world. Harsh winters and chemical products for hair and heat styling can be the culprits in damaging the hair. To check for the moisture content of the hair, take a dry strand of hair and gently pull both ends to stretch it.
How Do You Treat Extremely Dry Hair?Dull, frizzy and unmanageable hair haunts most of our hair care dreams. When hair is stripped of its moisture and becomes dry, it’s also more vulnerable to tangling, breakage and hair loss. You can apply oil, conditioner and hair serum to treat dry hair. Ditching heat styling helps dry hair. So does eating a healthy diet and staying hydrated.
Ingrown HairIngrown hairs may be caused by improper shaving, waxing, or blockage of the hair follicle. Symptoms and signs of ingrown hairs include itching, tenderness, and small red pus bumps. Ingrown hairs usually heal on their own, but topical antibiotics, chemical depilatories, and hair-removal laser may be used in the treatment of ingrown hairs.
Is Hair Transplant Permanent?Yes. The main advantage of a hair transplant is that it is a permanent procedure. The long-term outcome of a hair transplant is subject to certain conditions.
Premature Gray Hair PicturePremature graying is genetically determined for the most part, David Bank, MD, tells WebMD. See a picture of Premature Gray Hair and learn more about the health topic.