13 Home remedies to lighten your hair
Try making your own hair lightener using natural ingredients rather than the box dyes, bleach, and the hair lightening products available in the market. Below are a few common ways to lighten the hair at home especially during summer:
- Add some vitamin C into shampoo. Take approximately eight to nine vitamin C tablets, crush them, and mix them in your shampoo. Wash and rinse normally, and your hair will feel amazing, healthy, and light.
- Spend some time in the sun. Rays of the sun may bleach out the melanin in the hair, giving it a lighter appearance. A tanned face can also make the hair look lighter. Vitamin D from the sun is also great for overall health and healthy hair.
- Chamomile tea has a brightening effect. Seep several bags of chamomile tea in water and apply it to dry hair. Go out in the sun, and it will help the hair dry and increase the chamomile tea’s effects.
- Salt opens the cuticles of your hair and lightens them from the inside out. Dissolve a tablespoon of salt in one cup of water and use as a spray. For the best results, use Epsom salt. Epsom salt is full of nutrient-rich minerals that nourish and repair your hair.
- Honey has a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in it; it strips some of the natural colors of your hair away. Mixing it with vinegar and olive oil helps your hair retain the lost moisture. Brush the mixture onto your hair wherever you want the highlights to appear and let it work its magic. Usually, it is recommended to leave this on your hair overnight.
- Mix some cinnamon powder into your conditioner and evenly coat your hair. Leave the mixture on your hair overnight and rinse in the morning. Combine cinnamon and organic coconut oil for an overnight lightening hair mask. Apply the mask throughout your hair and cover the hair with a shower cap. Wash and shampoo thoroughly in the morning for better looks.
- Chop up some rhubarb and place it in two cups of boiling water. Strain the juice, and let it cool for a few minutes. Apply this mixture to your hair and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then, wash it out really well. Rhubarb contains pectin and will get sticky if left on your hair too long.
- On very dark brown or black hair, henna can lighten and leave reddish highlights. Use the henna powder in half a cup of warm water, let it sit for 12 hours or overnight, and then apply it to your hair. Wait 2-3 hours before washing it out well, and you will have a natural glow.
- Mix a cup of water with two tablespoons of lemon juice and apply it to your hair. Sit outside in the sun until the lemon juice dries. Wash it with lukewarm water for better results. Vitamin C in lemon juice can lighten the hair. Lemon juice is great for whitening and brightening in cleaning. The lemon essential oil can also be used in the same way.
- Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide make a powerful hair-lightening combination. Due to their strength, make sure you do a strand test before you apply the mixture throughout your hair. Mix equal parts of 3% hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to form a paste. The paste shouldn’t be too liquid or thick. Add more hydrogen peroxide or baking soda if needed. Section off your hair and apply. Wrap finished sections in aluminum foil to trap heat and help your hair process faster. Wait 30-60 minutes and rinse your hair. Your hair will feel dry at first, so make sure you use a good leave-in conditioner.
- Vodka can also be used to brighten the hair. Add some fine salt to the vodka, apply it to your hair, and let it bake naturally. It will give you natural sun-kissed highlights.
- Natural oils such as coconut oil and argan oil help in infusing hydration deep into your hair. Moreover, they are also further able to heal damaged hair from heating tools. You can make a mask with these oils or simply run them all the way through your strands from bottom to roots, leave it on for 20 minutes, and rinse it off. Take a good amount of olive oil and comb it through your hair, further heading outside to let them stay in the sun for about an hour. Wash out the oil, and you will find your hair much more moisturized and, of course, naturally lighter in color. To make it work even better, you can add a little lemon juice to the oil before combing it to your hair and apply it throughout the hair, focusing on the ends. Finally, wash out the oil thoroughly. Repeat thrice every week until you see the highlights you wish for.
- Apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar is an easy and cheap option for lightening your hair. Rinse your hair in vinegar and then rinse it again in cold water to lift color and revitalize dull strands. Apply gloss or conditioner to seal in moisture.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top How Can I Lighten My Hair at Home? Related Articles
How Can I Get Healthy Hair Naturally?Hair has always been a significant aspect of beauty standards. Luscious and shiny locks have been considered ideal beauty for ages. Have you always dreamt of having that bouncy and voluminous hair seen in the advertisements? If so, this dream can turn into reality by following a proper hair care routine.
How Can I Grow My Hair Faster Naturally?Hair, on average, grows about half an inch every month. There is no proven scientific way to make hair grow faster. Certain home remedies may help increase hair thickness and thus hair length, which include massaging your scalp, trimming your hair, brushing gently, using conditioner, eating a nutrient dense diet and other strategies.
How Can I Make My Hair Grow Superfast?You will hardly come across any person who does not want thick hair. No wonder, there are so many hair-care products, such as shampoos, oils, serums, and even supplements, in the market that claim to reduce your hair fall and promise you beautiful and thick hair.
How Can I Make My Hair Soft and Silky?The signs of healthy hair include thick, soft, and shiny hair. Having silky hair is something not every person is born with. Your hair may become dry and brittle if your diet is not healthy or if you use hair products that are not meant for your hair type.
How Can I Remove Body Hair Permanently at Home?Having body hair is normal. Some may want to get rid of face and body hair permanently for cosmetic reasons, while others may want to get rid of excess hair growth, especially on the face due to hormonal disorders. There are ways to get rid of hair for a long period of time and possibly permanently.
How Can I Remove My Body Hair Naturally?Body hair can be a cosmetic concern, especially when they are present in excess on the body. Excessive body hair can be a sign of some underlying illness such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Thus, it is always prudent to consult a doctor to know the root cause of excessive hair growth on the body so that proper treatment may be obtained.
How Can I Treat My Hair Fall at Home?Treating hair loss at home involves understanding the potential reason for the hair fall or hair thinning.
How Do I Make My Hair Shiny?A good hair day is one less thing to worry about! Everyone pines for a healthy and shiny mane, resorting to many of the over the counter hair care products that claim to make your hair shiny, smooth, and silky. Of course, you cannot ignore the shampoos and conditioners, but make sure you choose them as per your hair type.
How Do I Stop My Hair From Breaking Off?Hair loss and hair damage can occur due to improper combing practices, hormones (pregnancy and childbirth), medications (cancer medication), and other medical illnesses (stress, thyroid disease, or autoimmune diseases).
How Long Do Hair Supplements Take to Work?Hair growth vitamins or herbal supplements are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. Taking hair growth supplements does not produce results overnight; it usually takes a long time (one to five years) to see results.
How to Get Rid of Unwanted Hair Quickly?There are several quick and safe methods available to get rid of unwanted hair from the face and body. They all vary in technique and some may be painful or cause discomfort. Understanding the pros and cons of the different methods to get rid of unwanted hair can help decide on a suitable method.
Is It Safe to Bleach Already Bleached Hair?Oxidized melanin loses its color, making the hair look lighter. Bleaching significantly damages your hair. Whether you should rebleach your bleached hair depends on the health of your hair before and after bleaching.
Foods for Healthy HairTop foods for healthy hair include salmon, green vegetables, beans, nuts, poultry, eggs, whole grains, oysters, low-fat dairy products, and carrots. Foods for healthy hair supply protein, healthy fats, and vitamins and minerals.