Hair, on average, grows about half an inch every month. There is no proven scientific way to make hair grow faster. Techniques promising to increase hair length by three to four inches in a few weeks often don’t work. If someone asserts that these techniques have worked for them, it may be due to their hair texture and density. Thicker and denser hair tends to appear longer, too. However, certain home remedies may help increase hair thickness and thus hair length, which includes
- Massaging your scalp: Massaging the scalp with oil helps to improve blood circulation. Increased blood circulation stimulates hair follicle activity and hair growth. You can warm up the oil and massage the scalp with your fingertips for 20 minutes. Leave the oil in your hair for another 30 minutes.
- Trimming your ends: This may sound bizarre, but trimming the ends is essential for healthy hair growth. It is necessary to trim or cut your hair regularly. Split ends do not allow that particular hair shaft to grow, so it is better to snip them off.
- Avoiding the use of excessive styling products: Excessive hairstyling may leave a residue on the scalp. This may damage the hair shaft in the long run. Styles such as dreadlocks and tight braids exert undue strain on the hair root and cause hair shedding. Excess heat while curling, perming, and straightening will damage hair by drying out the hair shaft.
- Brushing gently: Brushing growing hair stimulates blood circulation. Improved blood circulation increases the delivery of nutrients to the head and the removal of waste products. Brushing your hair gently helps to remove the knots and tangles, thus allowing the hair to grow to its maximum. Use a wide-toothed comb while removing tangles. Never brush wet hair.
- Calming down: Excess stress and anxiety can lead to dry, brittle hair and ultimately hair loss. People going through extreme stress often experience excessive hair loss. Hence, it is necessary to take frequent breaks throughout the day and relax. Try yoga or meditation to reduce stress-related hair loss.
- Using conditioner: Limit shampooing to twice a week. Always condition your hair after each wash to lock in moisture. When you rinse your hair, use cold water to lock in its hydrating benefits. Moreover, use a good deep conditioning treatment twice a month to increase hair growth.
- Avoiding tying your hair in a tight bun: Tying your hair in a tight bun or high ponytail for a long time can damage the structural integrity of your hair and exert excess strain on your scalp and hair follicles. It is advisable to alternate between hairdos and tie your hair back a bit loosely to relieve undue pressure on your scalp.
- Getting your daily dose of nutrition: Eating a healthy diet with all the essential nutrition required for healthy hair does wonders. Some important nutrients associated with hair growth include
- Protein (fish, lean meat, and soy)
- Omega-3 fatty acids (fatty fish such as salmon)
- Vitamin C (kiwi, oranges, lemons, and tomatoes)
- Vitamin A (red, yellow, and orange fruits)
- Vitamin E (germinated grains, sprouts, and nuts)
- B complex (meat and fresh fruit)
- Iron (meat and leafy green veggies)
- Vitamin D (mushrooms and meat)
- Zinc (nuts)
- Copper (nuts)
- Magnesium (nuts)
- Selenium (nuts)
- Staying hydrated: Drinking adequate water and keeping yourself hydrated is essential for hair health. Drinking enough water can keep hair healthy.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top How Can I Grow My Hair Faster Naturally Related Articles
Are Widow’s Peaks Attractive?Widow’s peak refers to the V-shaped arrangement of your hairline in the center of your forehead. Widow's peaks can look really attractive.
Best Styles for Hair TypeLook and find out which hairstyle will work best with your type of hair. Whether your hair is curly or straight, stringy or full, we found ways to make it look terrific.
Teen Girls Beauty TipsLearn about DIY skin and hair care for teen girls. Don't let a pimple, bad hair day, or cold sore get in the way of your good looks.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
finasteride (Propecia)Finasteride tablets (Propecia) is a drug used to treat male pattern baldness. Side effects, drug interactions, dosage, storage, and safety information should be reviewed prior to taking this medication.
Hair Care SlideshowLooking for the best kept hair secrets? See this hair care guide and get tips about hair that is thin, gray, curly, colored, overprocessed, dandruff-prone, and much more.
How Can I Get Healthy Hair Naturally?Hair has always been a significant aspect of beauty standards. Luscious and shiny locks have been considered ideal beauty for ages. Have you always dreamt of having that bouncy and voluminous hair seen in the advertisements? If so, this dream can turn into reality by following a proper hair care routine.
How Can I Make My Hair Grow Superfast?You will hardly come across any person who does not want thick hair. No wonder, there are so many hair-care products, such as shampoos, oils, serums, and even supplements, in the market that claim to reduce your hair fall and promise you beautiful and thick hair.
How Can I Make My Hair Soft and Silky?The signs of healthy hair include thick, soft, and shiny hair. Having silky hair is something not every person is born with. Your hair may become dry and brittle if your diet is not healthy or if you use hair products that are not meant for your hair type.
How Do I Make My Hair Shiny?A good hair day is one less thing to worry about! Everyone pines for a healthy and shiny mane, resorting to many of the over the counter hair care products that claim to make your hair shiny, smooth, and silky. Of course, you cannot ignore the shampoos and conditioners, but make sure you choose them as per your hair type.
How Do I Stop My Hair From Breaking Off?Hair loss and hair damage can occur due to improper combing practices, hormones (pregnancy and childbirth), medications (cancer medication), and other medical illnesses (stress, thyroid disease, or autoimmune diseases).
How Long Do Hair Supplements Take to Work?Hair growth vitamins or herbal supplements are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. Taking hair growth supplements does not produce results overnight; it usually takes a long time (one to five years) to see results.
Is Auburn Hair Natural?Red hair varies from deep burgundy to bright copper, auburn, reddish-orange, burnt orange and strawberry blond. Auburn or red hair can be natural.
Is It Safe to Bleach Already Bleached Hair?Oxidized melanin loses its color, making the hair look lighter. Bleaching significantly damages your hair. Whether you should rebleach your bleached hair depends on the health of your hair before and after bleaching.