Any seasonal change invites viral infections. Children, old people, and those with diabetes are particularly vulnerable to various kinds of viral illnesses. Viral infection may last for only 1-2 weeks. However, the symptoms may interrupt your daily routine making you want to get rid of the virus immediately. Antibiotics do not work on viruses, hence prevention is the best cure for these.
Below are some natural remedies that may help to partially disable the virus, if not completely.
- Rest: When it comes to viral flu, nothing works like rest. So, give your work and travel rest and sleep. Sleep helps your body fight the virus and get better.
- Hydration: Load up on fluids. Fever caused by a virus gives you dehydration. Load up on water, soups, and warm broths. Adding ginger, pepper, and garlic to your soups will help your body fight the viruses. The allicin present in garlic has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. Studies have shown that eating raw garlic every day can boost immunity against the virus. You can add it to salsa or mince it and add some olive oil or honey.
- Green tea: Catechins present in green tea have been shown to inhibit the enzymatic action of the virus to reproduce further. Green tea has also been shown to boost immunity against various diseases. Hence, consuming green tea daily may help to reduce the viral load.
- Basil: The extracts of basil is effective against various types of viruses. The constituents of basil have been shown to block the infection and replication of various viruses. You can add basil leaves to your salad or consume them directly.
- Turmeric: Studies have shown that the curcumin present in turmeric is effective against the Hepatitis C virus. They inhibit the replication of the Hepatitis C virus. Some turmeric boiled with milk can help in fighting colds as well.
- Elderberry: The common elderberry has been used to reduce the severity and length of flu symptoms. Elderberry acts against the virus by binding to them and deactivating the virus. Adults can take 60 ml of elderberry syrup daily whereas children should take 30 ml of elderberry syrup daily.
Do not completely rely on the above natural treatments for eliminating the virus. You should inform the physician before attempting any natural remedies.
Some of the other methods that may aid in eliminating the viruses include:
- Increasing the intake of Vitamin C rich foods, such as oranges, strawberries, kiwis, melon, mangoes, tomatoes, bell pepper, papaya, red cabbage, and spinach, may help to increase the immunity against viruses but may not completely cure it. Overconsumption of Vitamin C should be avoided because it may lead to upset stomach or kidney stones.
- Making sure to eat a healthy and well-balanced diet even when the appetite goes down.
What is the standard therapy for treating viruses?
If the above remedies don’t work or if you have severe symptoms, then definitely contact a physician. The physician would recommend antiviral therapy to get rid of viruses. The treatment depends on the type of viruses and their severity. Antiviral drugs, if given within 2 days after the onset of the symptoms, will prevent the infection and replication of viruses. Some of the common antiviral drugs include:
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Preventive Steps. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/prevention.htm
Top How Can I Get Rid of a Virus Fast? Related Articles
Coronavirus COVID-19 Prevention: Test Your Medical IQWhat's really the best way to prevent the spread of new coronavirus COVID-19? Should wear a mask or not? Take this quiz to find out!
Coronavirus Myths and Facts: Test Your Medical IQWe know more about coronavirus than we did in early 2020. Can you separate the myths from the facts?
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Prevention TipsCOVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that spreads from person to person via infected respiratory droplets. The main symptoms of COVID-19 infection include cough, fever, and shortness of breath. Occasionally, people infected with COVID-19 may experience diarrhea, a sore throat, a runny or stuffy nose, or aches and pains. Avoiding contact with infected people, social distancing, not touching your face, frequent hand washing, cleaning, and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces can help to reduce your risk of contracting the 2019 novel coronavirus.
Is It a Stomach Virus or Food Poisoning?A stomach virus is also called stomach flu or gastroenteritis. It is a viral infection that infects the tummy and the gut. Food poisoning is also often called gastroenteritis and may present symptoms like stomach virus/stomach flu. However, food poisoning is caused by consuming food or drinks that may be contaminated with bacteria.
What's a Virus?Is a virus alive? Learn the definition of a virus. Viral infections like COVID-19 can occur in your eyes, mouth, skin, or anywhere else. Should you use antibiotics to treat the flu? Is this STD a bacterium or a virus? Get the answers to the most common questions about viral infections.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus, 2019-nCoV)Infection with COVID-19 (2019 novel coronavirus, 2019-nCoV) causes respiratory problems in humans. Transmission of COVID-19 occurs mainly through contact with respiratory sections from an infected person, however, fecal contamination may also spread the virus. Symptoms start off flu-like and progress to coughing, fever, shortness of breath, shaking chills, headache, loss of sense of taste and/or smell, muscle pain, and sore throat. Treatment focuses on supportive care and symptom relief. COVID-19 vaccines are available.
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Prevention: Frequently Asked QuestionsWhy is coronavirus considered dangerous? What are symptoms you should look for? Take this quiz to learn how to protect yourself.