How to get healthy hair
Hair has always been a significant aspect of beauty standards. Luscious and shiny locks have been considered ideal beauty for ages. Have you always dreamed of having that bouncy and voluminous hair seen in the advertisements? If so, this dream can turn into reality by following a proper hair care routine. Besides consuming a diet rich in essential vitamins and minerals, some natural hair care products may help to achieve those ideal, healthy hair. Some of the natural hair care ingredients that may help to add luster and shine to you include:
- Diet: You are what you eat. Expensive potions and oils are worthless if your diet is poor. Avoid processed sugars, refined carbs, and excess tea or coffee that messes with your metabolism. Have a diet rich in proteins (eggs, fatty fish, lean meats), iron (leafy vegetables), vitamins (fruits), and minerals (nuts). Avoid smoking and alcohol. A nutrient-rich diet will automatically result in a healthy mane.
- Avocado: For smooth and shiny hair, use an avocado conditioner. To make an avocado conditioner:
- Mix a small jar of mayonnaise and avocado pulp until it turns light green or minty color
- Apply the mixture to your hair till all strands of hair are covered
- Cover the head with a plastic wrap and leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly. You can opt for a mild shampoo to wash your hair afterward if you have oily hair.
- Avocado is rich in Vitamin A, B1, B2, D, and E as well as beta-carotene, which is good for dry skin and hair. Massaging with avocado oil may also help to provide luster to the hair.
- Olive oil conditioner: Olive oil has great benefits when applied to hair directly or when mixed with other ingredients. Mix two to three drops of extra virgin olive oil with your regular conditioner and apply it onto the lower bottom of the hair focusing more on the ends. Gather your hair together so that it sits at the top of your head and cover with a warm wet towel. Leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse it thoroughly.
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinses: ACV has become a hot favorite of every household due to its benefits. Mix half a cup of ACV with one-quarter cup of water to make a vinegar rinse. Pour this mixture through the hair and re-rinse with cool water.
- Honey: Honey acts as a natural moisturizer. It also has antiseptic and antioxidative properties. Additionally, honey is loaded with vitamins and minerals that promote hair growth. Honey can be added to rinses, conditioners, and masks.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera has been the most common moisturizer used for skin and hair. It eradicates the risk of a flaky scalp in harsh and dry weather. Apply fresh aloe vera gel onto the hair or use products that contain aloe vera as an ingredient.
Some of the hair care routines that would improve the strength and luster of the hair include:
- Shampooing two to three times a week: Avoid shampooing daily with shampoo as it would rip off the essential oils from the hair. Use lukewarm water instead of hot water to wash your hair. As far as shampoo is concerned, use a mild shampoo that contains herbs and natural oils. Avoid shampoos that contain:
- Formaldehyde/Formalin/Formic aldehyde/oxomethane/oxomethylene
- Dibutyl Phthalates (DBP)/Di-n-butyl phthalate/dibutyl 1,2-benzene dicarboxylate
- Lauramide DEA
- Propylene glycol/1-2-Propanediol
- Using conditioner: Condition your hair after each wash to lock in the moisture. If you want to rinse the hair, use cold water to lock-in its hydrating benefits. Even a leave-in moisturizer after a hair wash is a good option.
- Massaging with oil: Apply oil on your hair and massage it with your fingertips for deep penetration.
- Trimming your ends: It is necessary to trim or cut your hair regularly. Split ends prevent hair growth and so, it is essential to get hair trimmed.
- Avoid using excessive styling products: Avoid using several styling products or styling tools that may dry or damage the hair. Use styling products or tools sparingly.
- Combing gently: Comb your hair softly and treat it gently to avoid excessive breakage.
- Calm down: Excess stress and anxiety can lead to dry, brittle hair, and hair loss. Hence, it is necessary to de-stress and relax.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top How Can I Get Healthy Hair Naturally? Related Articles
Effective Ways to Stop Hair Loss in MenHair loss is one of the common problems in men. There could be many causes of hair loss that include diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution, and genetics.
Best Styles for Hair TypeLook and find out which hairstyle will work best with your type of hair. Whether your hair is curly or straight, stringy or full, we found ways to make it look terrific.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
Do Hair Transplants Really Work?A hair transplant is a procedure in which there is the removal of small pieces (punch grafts) of tissue from the hair-bearing scalp. This is called a donor area, and it is cut into smaller pieces to place these on a bald or thinning area of the scalp.
Women’s Hair Loss: Causes, Treatments, and SolutionsHair loss in women has many causes. Menopause is one cause of hair loss in women over 50. Hormones, medications, and stress are other potential causes. Hair loss treatments may include minoxidil (Rogaine), low-level laser therapy (LLLT), and steroids or anti-inflammatory medications.
Hair Color Tips SlideshowLearn about hair and beauty tips for gorgeous hair color. Explore hair dye options for tips and gorgeous colors.
Hair Loss (Alopecia)There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata, trichotillomania, and tinea capitis), telogen effluvium, and androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness).
Hair Loss QuizTrue or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair. Learn what damages hair and what doesn't. Take the quiz!
How Can I Remove Facial Hair Permanently at Home?Most women are bothered by unwanted facial hair and look for permanent options to get rid of it. The only advanced technique for hair removal that can permanently remove facial hair is electrolysis. Some of the methods that you can try for facial hair removal at home include shaving, waxing, depilatory creams, prescription medications and homemade masks.
How Common Is Hair Tourniquet?Hair tourniquet syndrome is a rare medical disorder in which part of the body such as a finger, toe or penis gets wrapped in hair very tightly. This is most common in babies if the parents, siblings or caretakers have long hair. Because a lot of hair tourniquets are resolved at home, they are probably underreported.
How Do You Treat Dry Damaged Hair at Home?Dry and frizzy hair is the most common problem faced by women across the world. Harsh winters and chemical products for hair and heat styling can be the culprits in damaging the hair. To check for the moisture content of the hair, take a dry strand of hair and gently pull both ends to stretch it.
How Long Do Hair Supplements Take to Work?Hair growth vitamins or herbal supplements are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. Taking hair growth supplements does not produce results overnight; it usually takes a long time (one to five years) to see results.
Is Hair Transplant Permanent?Yes. The main advantage of a hair transplant is that it is a permanent procedure. The long-term outcome of a hair transplant is subject to certain conditions.
Surprising Reasons Your Hair Is Falling OutSeeing clumps of hair in your brush every time you groom your tresses? Find out what might be behind your locks loss.
Vitiligo Hair PictureVitiligo (pronounced vit-ill-EYE-go) is a pigmentation disorder in which melanocytes (the cells that make pigment) in the skin are destroyed. As a result, white patches appear on the skin in different parts of the body. Similar patches also appear on both the mucous membranes (tissues that line the inside of the mouth and nose) and the retina (inner layer of the eyeball). The hair that grows on areas affected by vitiligo sometimes turns white. The young patient in the image above has a white lock of hair as a result of vitiligo.
What Are the Best Ways to Get Thicker Hair?Hair loss and damage can occur due to genetic tendency for baldness, hormones (pregnancy), medications (cancer medication) and other medical illnesses (stress, thyroid disease or autoimmune diseases). Home remedies for thicker hair include massaging the scalp with oil, using minoxidil, applying hair masks or aloe vera, eating a balanced diet or taking hair growth supplements and nutrients.