Six ways to lighten hair naturally
There are various ingredients that are inexpensive and easily available. These can be used to help bleach or lighten the hair. You may want to experiment with different methods and ingredients because they may work differently for different hair colors and types. Hence, it may require some experimentation by using different methods to see which works best. Most natural methods need to be repeated multiple times over several months to see results. It is advised to test the natural remedies for negative reactions by applying them on a small lock of hair and skin.
- Lemons: Lemon has been used for several centuries to bleach hair. It can even work on dark hair colors. Vitamin C in lemon helps bleach or lighten hair without the use of chemicals. Two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice can be mixed with a cup of water and applied to the hair directly. The hair should then be allowed to dry out in the sun for a few hours, after which it can be washed off with shampoo and conditioner. Lemon can cause dryness of the hair; hence it is important to use a conditioner while washing the hair. It is important to apply sunscreen to the face and sun-exposed areas to avoid sun damage to the skin. Lemon vodka can be used instead of lemon juice for more dramatic results.
- Chamomile tea and lemon: Chamomile tea can help lighten the hair. Two cups of strongly brewed chamomile tea using five tea bags can be mixed with one-fourth of a cup of lemon juice and can be applied over the hair. The hair should then be allowed to dry out in the sun for a few hours, after which it can be washed off. This can also cause dryness of the hair; hence, it is important to use a conditioner while washing the hair. It is important to apply sunscreen to the face and sun-exposed areas to avoid sun damage to the skin.
- Apple cider vinegar, chamomile tea, and lemon: Combining one-fourth of a cup of strongly brewed chamomile tea with one-fourth of a cup of apple cider vinegar and two tablespoons of lemon can help lighten the hair. This may be left on all day, and sun exposure further helps the lightening process. Hair may be rinsed with shampoo and conditioner. Apple cider vinegar also helps to balance the pH of hair for all hair textures.
- Raw honey and cinnamon: Raw honey contains several active ingredients that processed honey does not contain, so it is preferred to lighten the hair. Cinnamon also contains natural bleaching agents. A combination of one-fourth of a cup of raw honey, half a cup of distilled water, one tablespoon cinnamon, and one tablespoon olive oil can be applied to the hair. Cinnamon alone can lighten hair as well. This mask can be left on the hair for a few hours to overnight. It may be washed off with shampoo and conditioner.
- Raw honey and vinegar: Plain vinegar and raw honey can lighten the hair. It is believed that results may be seen after using these ingredients even once. You can even apply this solution at night and sleep your way to natural highlights. Two cups of white vinegar, a cup of raw honey, a tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, and a tablespoon cinnamon powder can be mixed and applied to damp hair and wrapped with a plastic wrap or a shower cap. This can be left on for 10 minutes up to overnight before rinsing.
- Henna: The henna powder comes from a plant and has been used for thousands of years to stain leathers or adorn skin with beautiful designs (temporary tattoos), especially in South Asia and the Middle East. It can be used to dye the hair naturally and works when used even once. Light hair and grey hair turn reddish and dark brown and black hair turn natural brown color. A paste can be made with three tablespoons of henna powder and half a cup of boiling water. Before applying this to the hair, let the mixture steep for several hours or overnight to get better results. The mixture can be left on the hair for 3-4 hours and washed off. The results can last a few months. Henna can stain clothing and scalp (but fades from the skin in a few days). Contrary to popular opinion, henna can cause hair to get dry and brittle, hence must be used with caution.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top How Can I Bleach My Hair Naturally? Related Articles
Effective Ways to Stop Hair Loss in MenHair loss is one of the common problems in men. There could be many causes of hair loss that include diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution, and genetics.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
Electrolysis vs Laser Hair RemovalElectrolysis is a method of hair removal in which an electrical current is sent through a hair follicle. Laser hair removal is a method of hair removal in which a laser (a concentrated beam of light) is used to remove unwanted hair.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Loss (Alopecia)There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata, trichotillomania, and tinea capitis), telogen effluvium, and androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness).
Ingrown HairIngrown hairs may be caused by improper shaving, waxing, or blockage of the hair follicle. Symptoms and signs of ingrown hairs include itching, tenderness, and small red pus bumps. Ingrown hairs usually heal on their own, but topical antibiotics, chemical depilatories, and hair-removal laser may be used in the treatment of ingrown hairs.
Is It Safe to Bleach Already Bleached Hair?Oxidized melanin loses its color, making the hair look lighter. Bleaching significantly damages your hair. Whether you should rebleach your bleached hair depends on the health of your hair before and after bleaching.
Unnatural Pluggy Hairline PictureUnnatural “pluggy” hairline using 10–25 hair grafts. See a picture of Unnatural 'Pluggy' Hairline and learn more about the health topic.