Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hot flashes. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Cats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I am 64, and had a hysterectomy at age 30 due to endometriosis. I had my first hot flash 2 days later. The doctor put me on Premarin. That stopped them cold. Then 2 years ago my doctor said they had to start weaning me off. I said I was planning on doing so when I retired at 65. He said no doctor will give hormone replacement therapy (HRT) once you hit 65 so I started weaning off. I was at 2 mg, then cut back to 1mg each day for 1 year. I started having mild flashes within a week. Then it was 1 mg evert other day for 6 months. The flashes got worse. Then in half again. It's been 2 weeks with nothing and I'm absolutely miserable. I have 20 or so flashes hot during the day and 6 in a night. They make me tingle, sweat, sick to my stomach, weak and that' s not including the night sweat, lack of sleep, etc. I'm still working and am about ready to go back on HRT. I can't see myself living with this for 5 or 10 years. No wonder some women are institutionalized at menopause, or became druggies or alcoholics!

Comment from: Trouble16, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am 54, two years post-menopause and the hot flashes started almost immediately after my last period. They went away for a few months, but now they have returned worse than ever. One at least every two hours, 3 or 4 a night, I haven't had a decent night's sleep in so long. I keep the ice water next to my bed but I feel so dehydrated from the fan blowing in my face all night that I gulp it all down. I'm up all night either sweating or going to the bathroom. I am feeling very depressed, I'm more tired now than I was when the kids were babies, I exist in a state of chronic fatigue and racing thoughts from sleep deprivation. I work full time and don't know how much longer I can do this. I got my period at 10 years of age, had surgery for anemia from fibroid tumors in my 40s, and thought I'd finally get a break from the female troubles in my 50s, no such luck. I look at snow on the ground and all I think about is rolling around in it like my dog does. Hoping to stick it out au natural without hormone replacement therapy but it is hard.

Comment from: Michigan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My hot flashes occur every hour. Daytime isn't great, but nights are terrible. It takes only the slightest movement, at night, for the heat to take over from my head to my toes. I end up throwing all the covers off to make it through and then am freezing following that. It makes for exhaustion all day. Exercise is part of my life and hasn't helped and I have even tried Swedish tree pollen which does nothing for me. I don't want hormone replacement.

Comment from: Mindyliz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I started getting hot flashes in my early 30s, approximately 5 years before I hit menopause. Unfortunately, 20 years later and I still have them multiple times a day and night. I am the youngest of 5 daughters and none of my siblings experienced this. I actually started my hot flashes before my 13 years older sister did. Theirs all came and went and I still endure them daily. My mother had them until she passed at 76 years old, and I have resigned myself to the probability of enduring the same.

Comment from: Annonymous, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm 52 and I have been determined to do everything possible to avoid having to take any hormones through menopause if possible. Which means I'm eating much better, exercising, getting enough sleep, taking vitamins, not drinking coffee, etc. I've only had what I would call 'warm' flashes so far. I probably wouldn't even think they were menopause related if it weren't for my age and the fact that I never had them before. I actually enjoy them. It's hard to describe, but I like being warm. There is also often a tiny bit of increased libido associated with them which is also no big deal. I'll be back to re-post if anything changes with my hot flashes. I really hope it doesn't!

Comment from: alfy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

This morning, I got a hot flash on my face that lasted about 15 minutes. Then again about an hour later, one that lasted about 10 minutes. I have prostate stage one PSA less than two. I have had cancer for three years.

Comment from: barbaras, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 15

I have been getting hot flashes since I'm 46. They are still bad and wake me up at night. I don't know when this nightmare is going to end.

Comment from: JENNY E., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I am a 30 year old female and I have been experiencing hot flashes for 4 months that seem to last a little over an hour each time, couple of times a day. I can't seem to control my body temperature, then I get the chills and my face is so hot and turns red. I have taken every blood test and all results check out just fine.

Comment from: flash, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had my first hot flash 6 years ago when I was 37 years old. I was 8 months pregnant with my 7th child. They lasted for hours and left me feeling weak and shaky. They started in my head and then would roll through my entire body making me feel like I was burning up inside. My cheeks would get red and I would feel sick to my stomach and get very anxious. The longest one that I had lasted for 7 hours. I saw my obstetrician, a cardiologist and an internist and none of them could find anything wrong. My obstetrician started me on Zoloft and the hot flashes stopped. I weaned off the Zoloft last month and they started again. I am going to try flaxseed. I have a family history of stroke so I don't want to take hormones. I have loved reading others' experiences. It helps me to know that I am not alone in this phase of my life.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

Hot flashes for me are so severe that I fear that I will have a heart attack or die. Recently I had the worst one thus far, after 15 years of this. I got so frightened that I called 911. The burning starts in the middle of my abdomen then I get nauseated. I start sweating profusely and eliminating urine and waste uncontrollably. Then I start retching or trying to vomit. All the while ripping my clothes off and putting ice packs directly on my back and neck while running cold water on the insides of my wrists and face. These attacks last about 1 to 3 minutes, then I'm wiped out for a day or two. I have had no replacement therapy; too frightened about cancer developing.

Comment from: J Louise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I get hot flashes that can last for hours. My doctor says this is normal but I have never met anyone who sweats like I do. It is torture. It can be 60 degrees out and everyone is wearing jackets. And I am soaked. Then sweating and chilled to the bone. My temperature is 99.6 to 100. Sometimes I feel like I'm standing under a hose. I am 60 and this has been going on for 8 years. It started 4 or 5 years post menopause. I put in a ceiling fan which helps, but not much.

Comment from: Wendy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Hot flashes are ruining my life! The only thing that relieves them is a cool shower, but most of the time the relief is temporary. I have them all day and all night, no rhyme or reason to them. My poor spouse is beside himself. I cannot bear for him to be in the same bed as me because his body heat makes my flashes worse, and he says I keep the bedroom too cold (I have the window wide open even when there is snow outside). They started around 51 and I'm 54 now. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this.

Comment from: JLArnold, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have been having hot flashes for about a year. The last few weeks they have been much worse at night and they are always followed by the chills. I feel too hot, then I am too cold with the chills, and I have been getting very little sleep from them. I feel I need to do something to control them because I have very little energy due to no sleep.

Comment from: abuwa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I have been having irregular periods and sporadic hot flashes for a while without really taking notice. Recently at a friend's birthday party I experience a sudden heat attack that paralyzed my whole body. I almost cried for help and it repeated itself at least 4 times within 1 hour and that's when it dawned on me that it must be premenopausal syndrome. Since then I have been experiencing same blinding heats that send flash of needle like prickling heat through my body every day. Sometimes these flashes actually turn my concentration from work and it's really disturbing. I have not seen my doctor yet, still gathering more data before doing so. Other symptoms I have include: trouble sleeping, severe fatigue despite exercise, irregular periods, and mood swings.

Comment from: Lignocaine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I am 53 and started menopause at 36. I've been on Premarin for 17 years. Whenever I try to go off of it the hot flashes get so bad that I end up starting again. My hot flashes seem to go in cycles. I'll have them for a couple months and then they'll be gone for a month. It's like there is a coal furnace in my abdomen and it's been stoked up high. I own 2 remote controlled tower fans and don't know how I would survive without them.

Comment from: flushed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

In the last week or so I have been experiencing hot dry flushes on my face and chest. Plus I feel hot all over but I don't sweat. My doctor says I'm too young to be going through menopause but I'm 50 years old and haven't had a period since I was 40.

Comment from: helpful advice, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I began getting hot flashes in the first trimester of my pregnancy. My child almost 4 and I"m in the middle of one that has lasted for about 6 hours now. So I believe I"m either pregnant or peri-menopausal, because even my longest ones while pregnant were only a couple of hours. (Only… that"s a laugh right?) I thought I"d share a quick, cheap way to make them more bearable with you all. Wet a washcloth and sprinkle peppermint extract across. Thanks to this little trick I barely even sweated pushing my little munchkin into the world, and somehow survived my third trimester falling in the summer (June to August) in the south. Hope it helps!

Comment from: pmw148, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 51 and started with hot flashes only at night about four months ago. They gradually became more frequent and are now about every hour during the day. At night, I take one Benadryl and .5 mg klonopin and sleep until about 2-3 and then the flashes start. The burning starts in my face and spreads down to about my waist and I lightly sweat. During the day I just suffer through it because by the time I would remove a sweater or go outside, they would be over and I'd be cold. At night I have a wonderful 'cooling pillow' which has a gel sheet on one side. It gets cool from room temperature. When I get a night flash I put my face on the gel pillow and it helps cool me down. When it passes I put the pillow on the floor so it will be cool for the next one. My face gets beet red and I am usually very pale so use very fair foundation. When I get red, my makeup looks terrible. Misery.

Comment from: DDock, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I am having a flash right now as I type this. It's terrible! I can function okay during the day and find relief by turning up the fan or fluffing my shirt out so air gets up there. The only thing that has worked for me at night is to actually get in the shower. I take two cold showers a night on average and that seems to kick me back into a normal pattern for a good amount of time and I can get back to sleep and sleep longer.

Comment from: Caitlin, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

For some reason, a lot of hot flashes have sometimes been making me feel sick a lot, but it"s all the time I have hot flashes, and most of the time I feel like I"m going to pass out, and whenever my mom checks my temperature, she says I"m perfectly fine. It"s so weird.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I'm 54, with a partial hysterectomy done years ago. I have one ovary left. About 2 years ago out of the blue I got hit with terrible hot flashes. The doctor gave me estradiol. Within 3 days they were under control. The last few months though, even on little exertion I am so hot I feel sick. My problem is, these hot waves are going on 24/7. I can't unload the dishwasher without burning up and profuse sweating. I remember my grandmother for years wearing a full apron with no back because she said she was hot all the time. Yesterday it was 3 deg C and I was in my truck with full air conditioning. I don't know how I can continue to work this way. I can handle a flash but this is crazy. The only relief I get is standing in the garage with a sun dress on when it's 2 deg C. I wear sundresses all day. I have to go back to work shortly after a short time off and do not have the luxury of bringing a fan with me.

Comment from: Kay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 51 and I suddenly started having severe hot flashes - once every 45 to 60 minutes, all day and all night. I did not get a decent night's sleep for 17 days, and I was starting to unravel. Desperate to try something, as I had read that flax seed, as a treatment for hot flashes, had recorded positive results, I tried it. I got some ground milled flaxseed, had two tablespoons in the morning and two at night. Within two days, the hot flashes were totally gone. Note: flaxseed oil did not work; I tried that first before realizing it had to be the ground, milled flaxseed. The taste is not too good, but it is edible in oatmeal or yogurt, but I would have eaten it plain, it was so worth it to get some good rest.

Comment from: countryliving, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 70 years old, went thru menopause at 44 and did not have hot flashes. Now, I have them. House is not hot. I literally break out in a sweat more on my neck than anywhere else.

Comment from: theresa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I just start burning inside and then profuse sweating. I can be sitting still or moving about nothing helps with my hot flashes.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am 49 and the doctor just told me I am 'about done' with menopause. I didn't even know I started... which was great, I had no symptoms whatsoever except I stopped getting my period for around 6 months. That's why I went to the doctor in the first place. But all of a sudden I have been getting hot flashes now; it creeps up, my neck and face start burning up, I get nauseous and I can't think straight.

Comment from: LeaAnn53, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am 60. Menopause was at age 46. I had no symptoms at the time. No libido for over 14 years, now suddenly I have urges. Also, hot flashes like crazy.

Comment from: Lola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Oh my goodness, I can"t explain how these hot flashes and night sweats affect your life. First off at night before bed I wear a 100% cotton tank top and panties. Of course, around 3:00 a.m. it hits you like a ton of hot charcoal, I roll over and the spot I was sleeping in is literally hot to the touch, I find myself flipping and turning all night. Most mornings I wake up at the foot of the bed. Today I took my first hormone replacement therapy (HRT) pill, wish me luck! I"m sure I need it.

Comment from: didi768, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I started having hot flashes last 3 weeks or so. I am 48. First I get like this tingly feeling and it slowly progresses to 'whip off all my clothes or I will die' type of thing and being in Florida I am soon to suffer from humidity and heat again for months. I am scared of going broke for how much my air is going to be going constantly and we don"t have money for those big bills. I am crying one minute and laughing the next. After the awful hot flash, I get kind of cold and need covers again.

Comment from: tisme, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 07

Hot flashes/flushes are driving me nuts. I sweat from the head and neck, even just walking gently down the hallway and for the sweat black cohosh can only be taken for 6 months. I won't take hormone replacement therapy.

Comment from: Natalie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been having unusual feelings of a very strong sense of heat starting in my lower legs and slowly moving to my chest. It feels very hot as it rolls upwards. What in the world would cause that! It has happened 9 to 10 times in one month. I am 73 and have already gone through menopause.

Comment from: pkpkenyon1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

The night sweats and the bad dreams are horrible! It's bad when you wake up in the morning and your husband has a black eye! I ask "what happened?" He replies "I don't know! I didn't have this when we went to bed!" Yikes! The dreams I have been having are totally weird. I don't remember any dreams that are violent, only the weird ones; that makes me a little freaked out.

Comment from: pammi, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 02

They are terrible! I sweat like a man, I'm so hot I can't stand it, I take a fan almost every where I go, everywhere with an electric outlet. I'm African American, my hair "goes back” and frizzes up, I can't keep my hair done, relaxers just don't work any more. My deodorant cooks off, near the end of the day, I would smell something and realized it was me! I carry a baggy and washcloth and deodorant with me, in my purse. I am up maybe 3-4 times a night, my nightgown is usually soaked, from sweating. I always said I would be glad when menopause started, but boy was I wrong! I would have a period maybe once every 5 months, and even though the period would be very heavy, the other symptoms would stop. I'd be glad for the period.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have had uterus removed which is called abdominal hysterectomy and then years later I had my right ovary removed. I have had trouble with my left ovary every since. I was given a birth control shot 2 months ago I am 42 I think the shot was called premovara or something with a P. Now for the last month I have severe hot flashes all day and night. I have to change my shirt about 7 times a day. It is summer time and air conditioner is on. I had to turn down to 74 and it is still too cold. Every time I soak my shirt and my hair gets soaked I freeze so back under covers then hot again then take off covers and freeze again. I am exhausted and want to leave my home and run away from husband and dogs. I would have never left my dogs in a million years. Children are grown and doggies are my babies, but lately I would leave everything to just run away but where would I go. I had a pelvic ultrasound 2 days ago and ovary was shrunk so small she could hardly find it. 6 weeks ago it was big as softball. I really feel the shot has put me into premature or full blown menopause. I go back to OBGYN in 6 weeks for another shot. I am going to get blood test to check for menopause before I let them give me a shot. My mother had breast cancer stage 3 and is a 10 year survivor now but they have already told me no hormones and estrogen for me when I have menopause because of my mother. I am miserable and tired hot and cold. I hate it. I thought it only lasted 1 year but after reading about it lasting 5-10 I don't think I can take it that long.

Comment from: Bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had hot flashes for nearly 5 years, 24hrs of the day. I have tried Clonidine, HRT patches, Venlafaxine, and more HRT patches which caused severe bleeding and clots. I have tried every herbal tablet going for the menopause nothing works. It took a new doctor to decide to do 24 hour Urine Tests to rule out any other reason. I also suffer from severe stress and anxiety. Stress also gives you hot flushes and cold sweats, so I don't know whether I am coming or going. I even did a menopause nondrug trial. This teaches you to deep breathe through a flush and let it flow over you no chance! It just completely ruins your life. I have not had a proper night's sleep for 5 years so am constantly drained.

Comment from: Hot Wet and Tired, 35-44 Female Published: August 17

I used to be regular. Over the last couple of years my cycle is totally out of whack. I could be regular for a month then nothing for two or three months, then a regular cycle of five days clear up and then in two days two weeks it's back on again. There is no regularity at all. Now the last year I have been having night sweats, and not just lightly but totally soaking wet. Bed clothing, sheets, pillows everything. I have spoken to my doctor about all of this. I have even gone to a gynecologist and they are saying that I am too young for menopause. I had osteoporosis at eleven years of age, but they are telling me basically to just bear with it.

Comment from: Bev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have suffered from hot flashes more in the last 3 months than I have since I started the menopause which was about 5 years ago. (I am 55). I tried HRT but different ones made some of my symptoms worse, in particular migraine. I also found that soya, which I was using regularly, via foodstuffs, thinking it was helping me, was actually making my migraines worse and harder to treat. As I'm writing this I'm having a flash! They have definitely increased. From 3-4 a day and 1-2 at night, I now have about up to 20 daily and 4-5 nightly! I suppose it's back to the Doctors, though what they're going to do I have no idea.

Comment from: bakerclan5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I recently turned 45. Last October, I began experiencing hot flashes and night sweats. When I went for my annual, I told my doctor, they did blood work and said they would get me back in to discuss HRT. I checked with my nurse about my blood work. All was well. I waited to hear from the doctor, but they didn't call. Around this time, the hot flashes and night sweats stopped. Low and behold, a couple of months ago, they returned "with a vengeance". I went back to my doctor. They finally checked my hormone levels and said "congratulations, welcome to menopause". She started me on Prempro, but said it would take about 2 weeks before I could tell if it would work. It has now been a week. Not working yet. The lack of sleep is starting to get on my nerves. If the pill doesn't start working soon, I'm going back to have the dosage increased.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

After Lupron therapy during my early 30's I experienced extreme menopausal symptoms. This experience prepared me for what was to come. My husband was also prepared for the mood swings, insomnia, profuse sweating, and general memory loss due to lack of sleep. I found it is best to sleep with a separate sheet and light clothing in layers. Have a different room or sofa with a fan if this helps you get a nights sleep. The dryness issues and other signs of aging accelerate but can be treated. Carry a hand fan and plenty of tissues. I have been having these symptoms for about 3 years at age 52 so I'm getting used to making the adjustment and do not keep expecting that the symptoms will subside anytime soon. This is difficult and at times I do get fed up with it all, but it is the natural way of things.

Comment from: txgal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I suffered symptoms (hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia) starting at 40. I tried all the natural remedies over the years (black cohosh, soy, flax) with no success. At 48, I chose to see a doctor to deal with the ever-increasing symptoms and was able to quell the symptoms using the Activella patch sparingly for two years. I remained symptom-free for another year without the patches! Menopause came at 52 and has brought on horrendous hot flashes -- nearly one every hour -- in addition to night sweats and insomnia. I tried going back to the patch but got no relief. I doubled the dosage and still no relief. It's been six weeks of hell. My online research brought up SSRIs Effexor/Paxil/Prozac, Clonidine, Megastrol, and Gabapentin. All of these have documented huge side effects and horrible withdrawal symptoms, so I am extremely reluctant to travel down that trail. There has to be some relief: My future depends on it!

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I am 63 and have been diagnosed with DCIS-early stage breast cancer. I was on hormones for probably 12 or more years, with the latest one being Prempro. I was on the lowest possible dose, every other day. Now that I have been diagnosed, I have to wonder if hormones contributed to my cancer diagnosis. I was taken off the Prempro gradually over a 2 week period following my diagnosis. My oncologist started me on tamoxifen, and now I have hot flashes, night sweats, and restlessness at night. He has now given me a generic for Neurontin (100 mg) at bedtime. I took the first one (100 mg) last night, and although it took me a little bit to get “settled,” I slept the whole night through with no after-effects this morning. I started out at 300 mg, but it took more than 12 hours to leave my system, and I was extremely groggy, so I knew I couldn't function on that dosage.

Comment from: ebabe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

They are back I was rid of them for years, now they are back worse then ever. I have night sweats so bad I am up 2-3 times a night, I have terrible sweats and hot flashes all day. I sweat profusely in air conditioning. Doesn't matter where or when. In fact, I'd rather be outside sweating because I know there's a reason to be sweating, I live in Florida. I'm 61 yrs old and I had a hysterectomy when I was 30, they left one ovary in case it was healthy and said I would benefit from it by not having to take estrogen. So 10 years later that ovary became diseased and they had to remove it, then they put me on estrogen until I went off of it when I was 50 after having two breast biopsies. The flashes and night sweats stopped for a year and came back with a vengeance. I'm about going mad suffering with all this 24-7. I'm going to see a GYN soon and see if she has some suggestions my primary doctor hasn't helped. I've been on and off black cohosh for 3 years, not helping too much this time around.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a hysterectomy and began HRT Premarin .625. I had a very good quality of life with few to no hot flashes. Due to the recent studies that show that Premarin increases the chance for heart attack and stroke, both my gynecologist and family doctor have advised that I not take the medication anymore. My dosage was reduced to .45 daily, then decreased over a year until I was totally off Premarin. I have now been totally off Premarin for 2 months. I have multiple hot flashes. I do not sleep well. I never had blood pressure issues at all until I starting decreasing Premarin. Now I am forced to take blood pressure meds. I feel that my quality of life is completely gone. I am 62 and cannot continue without some type of hot flash help! I'm ready to go back on Premarin and take my changes.

Comment from: May, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I am 63 and still have hot flashes, most notably at night. I had breast cancer at 59. I did not go through chemo or radiation. I am healthy, employed, active, and happy. I believe that the breast cancer occurred from hormone replacement therapy prescribed to me for nine years -- four of them in combination form -- to stop my menstrual cycle. When I tried to go off the hormones, I would suffer from extreme hot flashes. Looking back now, I would choose that over breast cancer. I also believe that progestin in hormone replacement is not the same as progesterone (which protects), and that is what caused the breast cancer. Other women need to know this!

Comment from: monkey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

For no reason, it is not hot or warm in the house, I break out in a sweat.

Comment from: Dakotagirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I can't accept living with these miserable hot flashes 20 times a day and through the night. I don't smoke or have cancer in my family, but even if I did I would still demand my Prempro. It's about my quality of life. Having severe hot flashes 24/7 is not a life I am willing to accept to live with. Stick up for yourself and do not let these doctors walk all over you because they fear blame for you deciding what your body needs. I know what works and what does not work for me. I do my own research thoroughly and can decide much better than some doctor who saw me for a whole 10 minutes what I need and what risks I am willing to take. Stick up for yourself and claim your life back. I do, and am better off for it.

Comment from: kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I started the hot/cold flashes about 2 years ago. I am now 42. My periods were ever changing in the past 2 years and I just prayed that the end was near...Now, I have been without a period for 2 straight months. YIPPEEE!!! I have not had a pap smear in probably 12 years going on 13. Saw no need. Husband dead, daughter grown, and on my own. My sister is 10 yrs older than I am and she still has the flashes, but her period ended over a year ago. Hope a year from now that the period is done for me too. Plan to start taking black cohosh again to see if it will help with the flashes.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: September 16

I started getting them out of the blue two weeks ago. I'm 51 exercise regularly, (20 miles a week jogging), and eat well--I actually cook meals with ingredients like lentils. I'll get maybe seven hot flashes per day, little mini flashes that last a minute or so and I sweat. But it's kind of neat actually, and I don't see this a problem that needs to be fixed. I am eager to try black cohosh as I've read so much about it.

Comment from: sister_eileen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had a hysterectomy in 1988 and now, more than 20 years later, I am still plagued with hot flashes and night sweats. They have basically ruined my life because I can't go out of air conditioning during the summer for more than a few minutes at a time or I sweat until I soak my clothes. I have been to numerous doctors to no avail. Anything above 60-65 degrees and I am wringing in sweat. I pray every night for relief, but none has been forthcoming. I don't believe that doctors take this condition seriously.

Comment from: kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I never know when they will hit me. But I keep a small fan behind my desk at work going all the time. That helps. Hot green tea seems to help. I find that chocolate brings on the flashes also.

Comment from: Karyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had a hysterectomy at the age of 29 due to uterine cancer. They took both ovaries. I have been suffering from hot flashes, night sweats, bad dreams and irritability ever since. I sweat profusely and always at the worst time - in public. I cannot cool my body down. I have been on Premarin, but the side effects are bad. I am 34 years old and always feel embarassed about the hot flashes. I avoid hot tea and coffee, caffeine, spicy foods and stress. Nothing helps. It is difficult to get ready in the mornings, especially trying to blow dry your hair only for it to be soaked again. And putting on makeup is useless. My deodorant doesn't even work anymore.

Comment from: Doyle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

In the last two years, I suffered anxiety, mood swings, and other symptoms that almost ruined my marriage. I have recently discovered I am going through menopause. After I was diagnosed, the doctor offered HRT. I was told I became premenopausal in my late 30s. What made me go to the doctor was this chronic tiredness. At the time, I thought I just had a temperature/viral infection. I did not feel comfortable taking HRT. Now I am on a very special oil that I've been on for the last three months. My energy levels have increased. I have no more hot flashes and no side effects.

Comment from: Sweaty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a hysterectomy a year ago at age 50 and began having hot flashes within a week. My doctor had let me believe that they would be over within a couple of months, but that hasn't been the case. Last summer I was miserable and embarrassed by my constant public sweating. The hot flashes would begin with a tingling along my jaw. This at least gave me a warning, and I could start peeling off clothes before the heat hit. The flashes are somewhat better this year. I've been taking large amounts of soy isoflavones and black cohosh (I can't use HRT). My quality of life has deteriorated from the hot flashes, mood swings, and nonexistent sex drive, and I wish I had not had the surgery.

Comment from: bubbieone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

After being recently diagnosed with breast cancer, I too stopped my hormones. All hell broke loose. The hot flashes are so debilitating. I have never been a good sleeper, getting up several times a night, but now I have so many hot flashes and night sweats that I am exhausted. The cancer center recommended venlafaxine. I have only taken it for two days, and they say it will take several weeks. Let's hope!

Comment from: phil, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 26

It is an odd feeling. It's more than being too hot. I suddenly flush in the face sweat on my brow, neck, ears, and especially breast creases. In my case, I often have a feeling of letting go and wanting to faint, but I don't actually faint. On occasion, I feel panicky when this happens, especially on an airplane or in a theater where you cannot cool down easily. I am often standing outside during the night in the garden flapping my pajamas to cool down -- not good when you live in the west of Scotland.

Comment from: clou, 45-54 Female Published: June 26

I have experienced hot flashes about every two hours during the day and into the night. I have successfully used a Chinese herbal supplement (capsules) that contains several key herbs for treatment in the past. I used a highly-recommended Chinese herbalist for an initial consult (make sure s/he is licensed in the state where you live). When my husband was unemployed, I stopped the herbs, and the flashes resumed until now. My husband is back to work, and I can't wait to get my herbs again. It took about five days for the herbal prep to kick in, but once it did, I got a good night's sleep, and the flashes went away.

Comment from: lilsparrow, 45-54 (Patient) Published: June 26

Without warning, I suddenly seem to ignite from my core, with intense heat rippling outward, until my skin almost burns, my face turns beet red, and I feel panicky. In that moment, I want to rip off my hair and strip off my clothes while I gasp for breath. What I do is stand up, put my hair up, and wipe myself down with a cool cloth. If I am out, I use hand sanitizer on my neck and face. Night ones are worse because I wake up in a sweaty panic, tossing and turning in misery until it passes. Then I lie in a cold damp mess, shivering under the covers. My husband says "nights are schizophrenic around here" with me flinging our covers off, then hogging them all back again, only to fling them off again an hour later! For these, an open window, ceiling fan, and sleeping in the nude helps. I don't use any herbs at this time, but I do take flaxseed every day. I will be so glad when they end.

Comment from: special K, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I've had hot flashes for 20 years. I had surgical menopause because of endometriosis. I have extremely bad hot flashes. During the day, I sweat like someone poured water over my head. Night sweats are just as bad. I wake up with my bed clothes soaked and wet. I've been on hormone therapy for years, but nothing seems to work. The sweats interfere with my everyday life. It's embarrassing when I'm around friends or just out with my family or fiancé. In the summer it's harder. It's interferes with putting makeup on or even getting dressed up to go out -- by the time I'm dressed I sometimes have to change again because the clothes are sweaty, and my makeup is ruined. I've cut my hair short.

Comment from: slrsam1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have not had a period for about 7 years now. I have not had any hot flashes until about 6 months ago. They are all in the daytime and they are pretty severe and come with nausea and general weakness and fatigue.

Comment from: too too hot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have been experiencing symptoms of menopause for the last 8 months. The hot flashes are driving me crazy.

Comment from: Redsmart1, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 18

I had a total hysterectomy for cervical cancer about 8 weeks ago and I am now having hot flashes. I thought they would only last a few weeks until my body adjusted to the ovaries missing. I think I was in menopause prior to my surgery. Anyway I am 50.

Comment from: Casey123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Mine starts with the same feeling as fear. It's a quick burst of heat and nerve endings igniting, like in fear, then the heat spreads all over, mostly to my face, neck and chest.

Comment from: Afmomdonna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I would describe it as, whew! I am sweating in throughout my head without doing anything to have made me sweat and it makes me so hot I feel almost sick. I had a hysterectomy at the age of 27 due to other issues so expected it before the age of 49 as I am now but did not expect is this extreme. I do have some other symptoms but the worst part for me is definitely the hot flashes! WOW!

Comment from: senioreet, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am 77 years old, had a hysterectomy at age 40, and was subsequently put on HRT therapy. I still am having hot flashes because I stopped HRT (just estrogen) because of concern over possible side effect. My GYN physician has me talking a very small dosage of HRT three times a week, which has helped, but I am still subject to at least one hot flash a day. I was curious to know if any other older women have had similar experiences.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

It seems my nights are consumed with night sweats, then freezing and constant urination. I am 51, and lack of sleep is interfering with my job. Is there an over the counter treatment I can buy as I do not have health insurance and cannot afford to go to a doctor. My stomach has doubled in size and I also have severe pain there very often.

Comment from: Nanners463, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a complete hysterectomy approximately 15 years ago. I tried various hormones, to no avail, and on a transdermal estradiol patch .1 for years, but none relieved my hot flash symptoms. I went off the patch in December. I still have the extreme hot flashes and they are reducing my quality of life. I can't go anywhere; it seems, without having hot flashes and getting my clothes completely drenched. The sweat literally drips down my back, my legs, my chest, my face, etc.

Comment from: Sophie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I wake up with hot flashes but the anxiety that accompanies them is what I can't deal with any more. I feel like it is a cyclical thing. Hot flash, anxiety, anxiety causes another hot flash. After I am up and around the hot flashes keep coming, sometimes every 30 minutes. I feel very frustrated and feeling hopeless. I have been on bio-identical HRT for a month now and still having hot flashes. I need to know how to assist my brain to balance the thermostat.

Comment from: dgmac47, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I just turned 62, and are still experiencing hot flashes. My periods ceased at least 10 years ago, and find this very uncomfortable at times. My MD dismissed it as "being healthy". At other times I am very sensitive to cold.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter