Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause, and often is described as the feeling of warmth that spreads over the body, often starting at the head accompanied by sweating. In the Study of Women Across America the Nation (SWAN) women had hot flashes that lasted on average 7 1/2 years. Symptoms of hot flashes include:
Diagnosis is made by taking a patient history and, at times, blood tests. Treatment options include hormone therapy, bioidentical hormone therapy, and medications. There are non-FDA approved natural home remedies such as:
Hot flashes also can be caused by other conditions. Scientific studies to prove the safety and effectiveness of these products in relieving hot flashes have not been adequately performed. Consult your health-care professional before taking any herbal supplement.Read more: Hot Flashes (Causes, Symptoms & Medication Treatment in Men and Women) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Menopause & Perimenopause: Symptoms, Signs
What is menopause? What are the signs of menopause? What age does menopause start? Learn about menopause and perimenopause...
Prostate Cancer Symptoms, PSA Test, Treatments
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men. Learn the signs and symptoms of prostate cancer, along with causes and...
Low Testosterone (Low T) Quiz: Test Your IQ of Men's Conditions
What are symptoms of low testosterone (low T)? Take this quiz to learn more about causes of low testosterone and how to treat it....
Menopause Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
The Menopause Quiz challenges your knowledge about the time in a woman’s life when menstruation ceases. Menopause can bring many...
Low Testosterone (Low T) Treatments
What causes low testosterone (low T)? Learn about low testosterone symptoms in men. Discover low testosterone treatment and the...
What Causes You to Sweat? Hidrosis and Hyperhidrosis
What makes you sweat (hidrosis)? Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) has many potential causes, including spicy food, smoking,...
How Does Acupuncture Work? Benefits, Needles, Definition
What is acupuncture? How does acupuncture work? Does acupuncture hurt? Learn various acupuncture points, the definition of...
10 Ways to Deal With Menopause Symptoms
Menopause can cause night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings, and relationship challenges. Learn how to manage these symptoms here....
What Causes Hot Flashes?
Menopause isn't the only thing that causes hot flashes. Find out what else can trigger these sudden waves of heat as your body...
9 Signs of Perimenopause
Perimenopause occurs before menopause as estrogen levels begin to change. This can cause menopause like symptoms such as hot...
Related Disease Conditions
Endometriosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Prognosis)
Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines,...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Menstruation (Menstrual Cycle)
Menstruation (menstrual cycle) is also referred to as a "period." When a woman menstruates, the lining of the uterus is shed....
Night Sweats (In Men and Women) Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Perimenopause (Symptoms, Signs, Remedies, and Treatments)
Perimenopause is the time in a woman's life when she is approaching menopause. During this time a woman starts to develop...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Carcinoid Syndrome (Carcinoid Tumor)
A carcinoid tumor is a tumor that develops from enterochromaffin cells. The important characteristic of carcinoid tumors that...
Premature Menopause (Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Premature menopause is when menopause occurs in a woman before the age of 40. Causes of premature menopause include premature...
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is considered a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). PMDD has also been referred...
Female Reproductive System
The female reproductive system is designed to carry out several functions, including: producing the female egg cells,...
Male menopause refers to the decline in testosterone production in men. As men age, they often experience many of the same...
Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep....
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy occurs in women during perimenopause, menopause, and postmenopause. With vaginal atrophy, the...
Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI)
Primary ovarian iInsufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI) is the cessation of normal functioning of the ovaries in...
Natural Remedies for Hot Flashes
Hot flashes are experienced by many women, especially at night. However, not all women undergoing menopause experience hot...
Holiday Depression, Anxiety, and Stress
Though the holidays are a fun time for most, for others, they're a sad, lonely and anxiety-filled time. Get tips on how to avoid...
Sex and Menopause (What to Expect)
Menopause is often associated with a change in sexual functioning. Loss of estrogen, bladder control issues, anxiety, stress,...
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been...
Local ResourcesFind a local Endocrinologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Lyrica vs. Gabapentin: Differences between Pain Relief and Uses
- gabapentin (Neurontin)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- Celexa vs. Cymbalta (Comparison of Differences and Similarities)
- clonidine (Catapres, Catapres-TTS)
- estradiol, Alora, Climara, Delestrogen, Depo-Estradiol, Divigel, Elestrin, Estrace, and Others
- medroxyprogesterone, Provera, Depo-Provera, Depo-Sub Q Provera 104
- paroxetine (Brisdelle)
- estropipate, Ogen
- flibanserin (Addyi)
- Conjugated Estrogens (Cenestin, Enjuvia, Estrace, and Others)
Prevention & Wellness
- Mindfulness Might Ease Menopause Symptoms
- Incontinence Drug May Cut Hot Flashes in Breast Cancer Survivors
- Pregnancy Complications Tied to More Menopausal Hot Flashes
- Health Tip: Manage Hot Flashes
- Scientists Get Closer to Origins of Hot Flashes
- Bad Hot Flashes, Sleep Apnea Often Go Together
- Could Hormone Supplements for Menopause Make a Comeback?
- Estrogen May Influence Women's Depression Risk
- Many Women Mistaken on 'Side Effects' of Breast Cancer Drug
- Reporting Symptoms Online to Docs Helps Cancer Patients Live Longer
- Obese Women May Have More Intense Hot Flashes
- Hormone Therapy Not Advised for Preventing Disease After Menopause
- Cervical Cancer May Leave Lasting Imprint on Survivors
- Early Onset Hot Flashes May Signal Higher Heart Risks
- Prostate Cancer Treatments Have Varying Side Effects, Study Shows
- HRT Won't Lower Women's Alzheimer's Risk, Study Finds
- Post-Menopausal? Give Exercise a Try
- Another Menopause Side Effect: Shortness of Breath?
- Researchers Identify Genes Linked to Hot Flashes
- Hot Flashes, Mood Woes?
- Health Tip: Why Can't I Stop Sweating?
- Menopause: Not All Hot Flashes Are Created Equal
- Acupuncture May Ease Hot Flashes for Breast Cancer Patients
- Sham Acupuncture Equals Real Acupuncture for Hot Flashes: Study
- Safe to Take Antidepressants With Tamoxifen: Study
- Rare Condition Can 'Masculinize' Women
- Frequent Hot Flashes Linked to Heart Disease Risk
- Abused Women Struggle With More Severe Menopause Symptoms: Study
- Acupuncture Best for Hot Flashes in Breast Cancer Survivors: Study
- Common Antidepressants Linked to Higher Fracture Odds in Menopausal Women
- Could ADHD Drug Find New Role in Menopause?
- Hormone Therapy Doesn't Help Memory: Study
- Vitamin D, Calcium Don't Reduce Menopause Symptoms
- FAQ: Hormonal Therapy for Menopause
- New Study Casts Doubt on Dangers of Hormone Therapy for Hot Flashes
- Early Onset Hot Flashes May Point to Raised Heart Disease Risk
- More Than Half of Women Have Hot Flashes for at Least 7 Years
- Full Bladder May Get a Third of Women Over 40 Up at Night
- Kids: An Rx for Menopause's Hot Flashes?
- Health Tip: Anxiety Can Affect Your Health
- Early Hormone Therapy May Be Safe for Women's Hearts
- Is Coffee Aggravating Your Hot Flashes?
- Losing Weight May Ease Hot Flashes, Study Finds
- Breast Cancer Drug Aromasin May Be Option for Some Premenopausal Women
- Migraines May Worsen During Menopause
- PMS Not Linked to Hot Flashes Later, Study Finds
- Antidepressant Eases Menopause-Related Symptoms, Study Finds
- Major Women's Health Study Paid Big Dividends
- 'Nerve Block' to Neck Might Help Ease Hot Flashes
- For Many Women, Hot Flashes Last 10 Years or More After Menopause
- Experts Lay Out Options for Menopause Symptoms
- Acupuncture No Better Than 'Sham' Version in Breast-Cancer Drug Study
- Drug Arimidex Cuts Risk for Breast Cancer in Older, High-Risk Women: Study
- Estrogen Won't Make Women Sharper After Menopause, Study Finds
- Hormone Therapy May Work Only for Women With Hot Flashes
- Estrogen After Menopause May Blunt Stress' Effects on Memory
- Could a Neck Injection Ease Tough-to-Bear Hot Flashes?
- Yoga Fails to Cool Hot Flashes, But May Aid Sleep
- FDA OKs Drug to Treat Hot Flashes in Menopausal Women
- Usual 'Hot Flash' Therapies Don't Help Prostate Cancer Patients: Study
- Study Compares Heart Risks for 2 Hormonal Regimens
- New Analysis Confirms Hormone Therapy Won't Prevent Disease After Menopause
- New Clues About Hot Flashes and the Brain
- Menopausal Hot Flashes Might Be More Intense for Cancer Survivors
- Women With HIV May Suffer More From Hot Flashes
- Women at High Breast Cancer Risk Should Consider Preventive Drugs: Experts
- First Non-Hormonal Remedy Approved for Menopausal Hot Flashes
- Health Tip: Manage Menopause
- Menopause-Like Woes Hinder Breast Cancer Treatment: Study
- Household Chores May Ease Nighttime Menopausal Symptoms
- Survey Tallies Menopause Symptoms' Toll
- What Causes Hot Flashes? Rat Study Gives New Clues
- New Drug Regimens May Slow Advanced Breast Cancer
- Soy Might Not Prevent Hot Flashes
- Hypnosis May Ease Hot Flashes in Postmenopausal Women
- Hypnosis Halts Hot Flashes for Some Women
- Hormones May Not Raise Alzheimer's Risks
- Panel Advises Against Hormones to Prevent Disease
- Hormone Therapy May Benefit Some Women's Hearts
- Hormone Therapy in Early Menopause May Benefit Some Women: Study
- Can Weight Loss Cool Hot Flashes?
- Medical Groups Agree on Use of Hormone-Replacement Therapy
- Exercise Might Keep Menopausal Hot Flashes at Bay
- Hot Flashes Don't Signal Poor Heart Health for Most Women: Study
- Study Finds Soy Supplements Don't Boost Thinking Skills
- Health Tip: Eat Right During Menopause
- Panel: Hormone Therapy Not for Disease Prevention
- Menopause: Smokers Have More Hot Flashes
- Health Tip: Recognize Common Symptoms of Menopause
- What Causes Hot Flashes, Anyway?
- Soy Supplements May Cool Hot Flashes: Study
- Menopause 'Brain Fog' May Be Real
- Menopause May Cost Women Sick Days
- Estrogen After Hysterectomy Lowers Cancer Risk?
- New Guidelines to Help Breast Cancer Survivors
- Psychotherapy May Ease Hot Flashes After Breast Cancer
- New Drug Treats Fibroids With Fewer Side Effects
- Health Tip: Physical Problems May Cause Insomnia
- Side Effects Cause Many Older Women to Drop Breast Cancer Drugs
- Active Surveillance May Benefit Men With Low-Risk Prostate Cancer
- Hot Flashes Linked to Higher Cholesterol
- Being Heavier May Mean Fewer Hot Flashes for Women Over 60
- Combination Therapy May Treat Prostate Cancer
- FDA Approves Prostate Cancer Drug Zytiga
- New Insight on Weight Gain After Prostate Cancer Therapy
- Seizure and Pain Drug May Treat Hot Flashes
- Progesterone Alone May Help Hot Flashes