What are two types of hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are enlarged, swollen veins in the lowest part of the rectum and anus. These veins bulge and get irritated, especially when the patient defecates, and cause bleeding. Hemorrhoids are also commonly called piles. It is one of the most common causes of rectal bleeding. Hemorrhoids occur in adults. It can cause significant pain and discomfort if left untreated.
There are two types of hemorrhoids:
- Internal hemorrhoids: They are present deep inside the rectum. They are usually not seen externally or felt and are painless.
- External hemorrhoids: They are present under the skin surrounding the anus. They are painful because of the painful, sensitive nerves surrounding the anus.
Hemorrhoids may go away on their own or with home remedies in a couple of weeks. If the hemorrhoids don’t improve or the symptoms worsen, it is advised to consult a doctor to seek medical treatment.
10 Home remedies for hemorrhoids
- Sitz baths: A warm sitz bath can help relieve symptoms like pain, itching, inflammation, and reduce the risk of infection. It can be prepared at home by mixing one to two tablespoons of baking soda, Epsom salt, and apple cider vinegar in a bathtub. Some sitz bath kits contain potassium permanganate sachet to be added to 4-5 inches of warm water. It is recommended to sit in the solution for 15 to 20 minutes 2-3 times a day.
- Witch hazel: Applying witch hazel directly to the external hemorrhoids help provide relief from the symptom. Natural witch hazel is anti-inflammatory, an antioxidant, and astringent (a substance that causes cells/tissues to shrink). A small amount of pure witch hazel may be dabbed onto the hemorrhoids with a cotton ball.
- Coconut oil: Coconut is can reduce irritation, swelling, as well as soothe the affected area, and reduce itching.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties and helps heal wounds. It can reduce irritation, burning, itching, and swelling. It may be applied directly to the anus. The aloe vera may be refrigerated and applied cold to provide more relief. Additives and preservatives in some store-bought aloe Vera gels can worsen, hence the purity of the aloe vera is important.
- Ice packs: Applying ice packs to hemorrhoids can help reduce pain, irritation, burning, and swelling. Ice should not be placed directly over the affected area because it can cause tissue damage. Hence, ice should be wrapped in a towel or cold packs may be used as well. Ice packs may be placed for 15 minutes and repeated hourly.
- Over the counter medications: Over the counter painkillers (Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen), steroid creams, and hemorrhoid creams can provide symptomatic relief.
- Adequate hydration: Drinking plenty of liquid and being hydrated throughout the day softens the stools, prevents constipation, reduces pain, irritation, and discomfort while defecating (passing stools).
- Fiber-rich diet: A high-fiber diet softens the stools, prevents constipation, reduces pain, irritation, and discomfort while defecating. A fiber-rich diet also helps maintain digestive health. Fruits and vegetables are rich in fiber.
- Psyllium husk: Psyllium is a natural fiber supplement that may be consumed to help increase daily fiber intake to soften stools and reduce discomfort. Adding too much fiber too quickly can cause bloating or stomach cramping. So, it should be gradually increased.
- Wearing appropriate clothing: It is advised to wear loose-fitting, breathable, cotton clothing, and underwear. This helps in wound healing, reduces irritation, and prevents the worsening of inflammation.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
NIH. Treatment of Hemorrhoids. October 2016. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/hemorrhoids/treatment
Top Home Remedies for Hemorrhoids Related Articles
Anus PictureThe opening of the rectum to the outside of the body. See a picture of Anus and learn more about the health topic.
Early Pregnancy Symptoms Before Missed PeriodPregnancy symptoms vary from one woman to another. Women could have none of the symptoms but can still go on to have a perfectly healthy pregnancy. Usually missing a period after conception is considered a sign of pregnancy.
Pregnancy SymptomsWhat are the early signs and symptoms of pregnancy? Can you know before your missed period? Read about nausea and vomiting (morning sickness), bloating, tender breasts, and more. Explore first trimester symptoms of pregnancy and learn what week pregnancy symptoms start.
Early Signs and Symptoms of PregnancyThe signs and symptoms of pregnancy differ from woman to woman. All the signs of pregnancy may not be seen in one person. Additionally, the signs may appear in different persons at different times.
GangreneGangrene may result when blood flow to a tissue is lost or not adequate to keep the tissue alive. There are two types of gangrene: wet and dry. All cases of wet gangrene are infected by bacteria. Most cases of dry gangrene are not infected. If wet gangrene goes untreated, the patient may die of sepsis within hours or days. Dry gangrene usually doesn't cause the patient to die. Symptoms of dry gangrene include numbness, discoloration, and mummification of the affected tissue. Wet gangrene symptoms include swelling, pain, pus, bad smell, and black appearance of the affected tissue. Treatment depends upon the type of gangrene and how much tissue is compromised by the gangrene.
Hemorrhoids (piles) are swollen veins in the rectum and anus. Causes include pregnancy, obesity, diarrhea, low-fiber diet, and prolonged sitting on the toilet. Treatment varies depending upon the severity of the hemorrhoids. Some treatment options include over-the-counter creams and suppositories, stool softeners, warm sitz baths, and hemorrhoidectomies.
Hemorrhoid ReliefLearn how to get rid of hemorrhoids, the difference between internal hemorrhoids and external hemorrhoids, what causes hemorrhoids, how long hemorrhoids last, and hemorrhoids treatment.
Hemorrhoids QuizDoes everyone have hemorrhoids? Test your knowledge of this and many other facts about Hemorrhoids.
How Do Hemorrhoids Go Away?Hemorrhoid symptoms may go away with diet and lifestyle modifications. You must, however, seek immediate medical care if your symptoms do not go away in a week or you experience symptoms.
How Long Do Thrombosed External Hemorrhoids Last?Many thrombosed external hemorrhoids may go away within a few weeks. An external thrombosed hemorrhoid develops under the skin surrounding the anus and causes discomfort due to the presence of a blood clot in the vein. The pain of thrombosed hemorrhoids may improve within 7-10 days without surgery and may disappear within two to three weeks.
How Soon Can You Get Symptoms of Pregnancy?Early symptoms of pregnancy are usually different for every woman. Some women might experience the first symptoms a week or two after conceiving, whereas others don’t feel anything for months. Many women may tell if they are pregnant within two or three weeks of conceiving, and some women know a lot sooner, even within a few days
Stages of PregnancySee pictures on the various stages of pregnancy. See and learn what changes a woman's body goes through and view fetal images of how her baby grows during the 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and FormStool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from foods a person eats, medication, diseases or conditions, pregnancy, cancer, or tumors. Stool can also have texture changes such as greasy or floating stools. Stool that has a uncharacteristically foul odor may be caused by infections such as giardiasis or medical conditions.
What Causes Hemorrhoids?Piles or hemorrhoids generally happen when there is a lot of pressure on the veins around the anus.
What Does Green Stool Mean? Stool Color ChartThe normal color of the stool is brown, although green or greenish stool is also considered normal. The most common reasons stool turns green are eating green veggies, ingesting green food coloring and taking iron supplements.