From Halloween through Valentine's Day, temptations abound. Read more: Holiday Weight Management Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Bad Foods That Are Good for Weight Loss in Pictures
Are you avoiding foods you could be enjoying as you try to lose weight? Get the skinny on "bad" foods like potatoes, cheese, and...
Surprising Causes of Weight Gain
There are many reasons for sudden weight gain when there are no changes in diet or exercise. Learn to identify the cause of your...
Diet Mistake Pictures: Crash Diets, High-Calorie Drinks, and More
Discover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the...
How to Lose Weight Without Dieting: 24 Fast Facts
Get surprising weight loss tips to help you slim down without starving or following a complicated diet. Lose weight without...
Food Portion Distortion Quiz: Correct Serving Size
Are your portions deceiving you? Take the Food Portion Distortion Quiz to find out how and why gigantic portions trick you into...
Frighteningly Fattening Fall Foods in Pictures
Learn how to keep your diet in check this fall. Look at some of the season's most fattening foods, along with tips on how to...
Holiday Foods 'Naughty List' in Pictures
'Tis the season of temptation. Fortunately, there are ways to avoid the holiday food trap. While Santa makes his list and checks...
Related Disease Conditions
Staph (Staphylococcus) Infection
Staphylococcus or staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness directly by infection or indirectly by the toxins they produce. Symptoms and signs of a staph infection include redness, swelling, pain, and drainage of pus. Minor skin infections are treated with an antibiotic ointment, while more serious infections are treated with intravenous antibiotics.
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are more than 20% over their ideal weight. That ideal weight must take into account the person's height, age, sex, and build.
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may also help stabilize blood glucose levels. Keeping track of when you take your diabetic medicine, keeping track of food choices, eating the proper amount of fruits, vegetables, carbohydrates, and fats will also help maintain proper blood glucose levels.
Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time, although there are a few risk factors. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes include frequent urination, unintentional weight loss, dry and itchy skin, vision problems, wounds that heal slowly, and excessive thirst. Type 1 diabetes is diagnosed with blood tests. A healthy lifestyle and controlling blood glucose levels can improve life expectancy.
Emotional eating can be detrimental to one's efforts at weight loss. Learning to identify the situations and emotions that trigger overeating can help to break the habit and prevent future instances of compulsive eating.
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol abnormalities, and an increased risk for clotting. Patients are most often overweight or obese. Lifestyle modification such as the Mediterranean diet, exercise, and quitting smoking are the preferred treatment of metabolic syndrome.
What Are Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is constantly stretched, the dermis can break down, leaving behind stretch marks.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Food Portion Distortion FAQs
- 11 Diabetes Diet Tips for the Holidays
- Prediabetes Symptoms and Diagnosis
- St. Patrick's Day Recipes: Healthy Versions
- Slow Cooker Recipes: Easy Holiday Meals
- Holiday Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
- Winter Fruit & Vegetables Tips, Recipes
- Avoiding Vacation Weight Gain
- Easter and Passover Favorites Made Lighter
- Food Gifts NOT to Give for the Holidays
- Holiday Food Gifts: Healthier Goodies
- Healthy Holiday Recipes: 4 Festive Dishes
- Holiday Diet Tips of All Time
- Holiday Weight Control: Secrets of Slender Chefs
- Pie: Tips & Recipes for Healthier Pies
- Holiday Weight Gain: Forget Weight Loss--Maintain
- Holidays: A Dieter's Survival Guide
- Holiday Recipes Makeover: Lighter Holiday Dishes
- Thanksgiving: Light Leftovers
- Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes
- Halloween: Ghoulishly Healthy Snacks
- Halloween: Trick Kids into Healthy Treats
- Holiday Appetizers: Tips & Recipes to Lighten Up
- Working Out in a Winter Wonderland
- Holiday Stress: De-Stress and Eat Less
- Passover Recipes: Tasty with Less Fat, Calories
- Holiday Diet Strategies for the Spring Season
- Hanukkah Recipes, Healthier Favorites
- Super Bowl Celebration, Super Healthy
- Holidays: Surviving the Holidays
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- U.S. Adults Gained Average of 2 Pounds a Month During Lockdowns
- AHA News: Keep Your Holiday Drinking on the Moderate Side With This Advice
- Sugary Drinks, Hormones, and Weight Gain
- AHA News: Tackling Turkey Day: Strategies for a Healthy Feast
- Many Americans Plan to Party Indoors, Regardless of Risk: Survey
- Think 'Virtual' for Family Gatherings During the Holidays
- Tips for a Healthier Holiday Season
- AHA News: A Sweet Super Bowl Treat That Won't Sack Your Health
- What Matters More for Obesity Risk, Genes or Lifestyle?
- New Year's Resolutions Didn't Stick? Try a Monday Reset
- Recipes for Healthy Holiday Appetizers
- Delicious Holiday Desserts With Fewer Calories
- Health Tip: Holiday Health and Safety
- Slow Down and Enjoy a Safe Christmas
- What If 'Exercise Needed to Burn Off Calories' Was Included on Food Labeling?
- Health Tip: Strengthen Self-Control
- More Americans Trying to Lose Weight, But Few Succeeding
- The On-Again, Off-Again Weight-Loss Diet
- Staying Slim After Weight-Loss Surgery Could Cut Cancer Risk in Half
- How to Head Off Holiday Weight Gain
- How to Get on Track When Weekend Eating Is Your Downfall
- How to Prevent Sneaky Summer Weight Gain
- Cholesterol Levels Spike After Christmas
- Have Your Cake And Lose Weight, Too
- Want to Eat Healthier? Avoid Stores With Snacks at Checkout
- Protein Portions: Feeling Satisfied on Fewer Calories
- The Lowdown on Low-Fat Milk (It's All Good)
- Holidays Hike Heart Attack Risk
- Health Tip: Celebrate a Healthier Holiday
- Put Some Healthful Into Holiday Eating
- Are You a Victim of 'Clean Plate' Syndrome?
- Tip the Scale in Your Favor
- Holidays a Challenge for Those With Allergies
- Sidestep These Menu Minefields
- Obesity Tops 35 Percent in 7 U.S. States: Report
- 4 Habits That Lead to Better Food Choices
- Cheesecake Factory's Breakfast Burrito Tops Latest Xtreme Eating Awards
- Yes, There Is Room for Chocolate in Your Diet
- Mind-Over-Matter to Curtail Calories
- Don't Turn Into a July 4 Highway Statistic
- Tips to Keep From Overeating at Party Time
- Human Brain Hard-Wired to Love Fat-Carb Combo: Study
- Obesity Rates Keep Rising for U.S. Adults
- Want to Avoid Winter Weight Gain? Exercise
- 5 Ways to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain
- Some Great Holiday Foods for Weight Loss
- Holiday Parties Minus the Calorie Crunch
- How to Prepare That Holiday Turkey Safely
- Around the World, Holidays Bring Added Pounds
- Health Tip: Bake a Healthier Holiday Treat
- Health Tip: Get Active This Winter!
- Health Tip: Dish Up Healthier Halloween Goodies
- Take Talk of Weight Off the Holiday Menu
- Could Good Manners Help Spur Holiday Weight Gain?
- Which Diet Plans Are Most Popular? Dieters Choose
- Family Meals Encourage Kids to Eat More Veggies, Fruit: Study
- How to Survive the Holiday Eating Season
- Federal Agencies Act to Remove hCG Weight Loss Products
- Weight Gain, Need to Be Nice Are Holiday Season Gripes
- Colorado, California Cities Dominate Slimmest Cities List
- Easter Recipes
- Holiday Weight Gain: Beat the Odds
- Halloween: Tips to Conquer Your Candy Cravings
- Summer Barbecue Recipe Makeovers
- Holiday Blues & Weight Loss: Derail Your Diet?
- Holiday Happy Hour: Alcohol and Your Diet
- Company's Coming! 6 Ways to Save Your Diet
- Holiday Fitness Program Tips to Stay Fit
- Thanksgiving Weight Gain: Keep Weight Loss Goals
- Holiday Foods: The Good and The Bad
- Weight Control Tips for the Holiday Season
- Father's Day: Honor Dad The Healthy Way
- Burn Off Calories Without Going to the Gym
- Diabetes: Sweet Holiday Tips for Diabetics
- Exercise: New Year's Resolution, Get Fit
- Holiday Diet Worries: Add Joy, Not Pounds
- Thanksgiving: Skim Fat, Add Flavor