Though the holidays are a fun time for most, for others, they're a sad, lonely and anxiety-filled time. Get tips on how to avoid depression and stress during the holiday season. Read more: Holiday Depression, Anxiety, and Stress Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Depression Myths: Overwork, Recklessness and More in Pictures
Explore the myths and facts about depression. See how folk remedies and half-truths still prevent many from getting treatment for...
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
What is depression? Get information on symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types of depression including major...
Physical Symptoms of Depression in Pictures
Depression can cause physical problems such as insomnia, chest pain, fatigue, headaches, and more. Learn the signs of depression...
Holiday Foods 'Naughty List' in Pictures
'Tis the season of temptation. Fortunately, there are ways to avoid the holiday food trap. While Santa makes his list and checks...
Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Tension Headache (Symptoms, Relief, Causes, Treatment)
A tension headache s one of the most common types of headaches, and the exact cause is not known. Factors that may contribute to...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Life Expectancy
COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke, and/or...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is the most common and serious complication of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), aside from...
Hot Flashes (Causes, Symptoms & Medication Treatment in Men and Women)
Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause,...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
Seasonal affective disorder is a type of depression that tends to occur as the days grow shorter in the fall and winter. Symptoms...
Job Stress and Your Health
Early warning signs of job stress include headache, sleep disturbance, difficulty in concentrating, short temper, upset stomach,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- Lexapro vs. Wellbutrin: Differences between Side Effects and Uses
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- Cymbalta (duloxetine) vs. Effexor (XR, venlafaxine) Differences in Uses, Dose, and Withdrawal
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- citalopram, Celexa
- Ativan (lorazepam) vs. Valium (diazepam)
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- Alprazolam vs. Diazepam (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- Buspar vs. Zoloft (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- Lyrica (pregabalin) vs. Xanax (alprazolam)
- Ativan vs. Xanax
- prochlorperazine (Compazine, Compro)
- chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
- Klonopin (clonazepam) vs. Xanax (alprazolam)
- clomipramine (Anafranil)
- bupropion extended release (Forfivo XL)
- trifluoperazine (Stelazine, discontinued)
Prevention & Wellness
- Mindfulness Can Help Tame Everyday Stress
- Loneliness Doesn't Take a Holiday
- Head to the Movies, Museums to Keep Depression at Bay
- The Link Between Social Media and Depression
- 3 in 4 Americans Struggle With Loneliness
- Heart Failure Takes Heavy Toll, Even for Those With Stronger Hearts
- Many Say Ketamine Eased Their Depression, But Is It Safe?
- Beware of Stressful Events in the Evening
- Don't Let Holiday Season Stress Worsen Your Allergies, Asthma
- Practice Patience for a Happier, Healthier You
- Holidays Hike Heart Attack Risk
- Hospital Discharge at Christmastime May Not Be a Gift for Some
- Don't Turn Into a July 4 Highway Statistic
- Great Recession of 2008 Triggered More Than Financial Woes
- Health Tip: Risk Factors For Insomnia
- Holidays Can Be Hard on Lonely Seniors
- Health Tip: Keep Gift-Giving Stress Under Wraps
- How to Perk Up the Holidays for Hospital Patients
- Help for Seasonal Depression
- Celebrate the Holidays, But Not While Drinking and Driving
- Why Women Should Lower Their Holiday Stress Level
- Health Tip: Have the Holiday Blues?
- Health Tip: Manage Your Time During the Holidays
- Health Tip: Control Holiday Stress
- Give Your Heart the Gift of a Stress-Free Holiday