Patient Comments: Hodgkin's Disease and NHL - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for Hodgkin's disease or non-Hodgkin's lymphoma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: John, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My son was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease in 1983, stage 3 1/2 B. He was told to try and enjoy the next 2 to 6 months, that he had a zero chance. After going to OHSU in Portland, Oregon he was given a 20 percent chance if they could use experimental drugs, MOP (methoxsalen). He went through approximately 5 years of off and on chemotherapy and radiation. I am so pleased to tell you that this bought him 20 precious years with us. He never had a reoccurrence.

Comment from: ThatOneGuy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I was diagnosed in my mid-20s with Hodgkin's disease. It was caught early. Six months of chemotherapy coupled with monthly PET scans to track the progress cleared out all signs. Symptoms of the Hodgkin's was night sweats and the worst cough of my life that lasted two months. Finally after no antibiotics or cough medicine was working I had blood work run which came back positive for cancer. Chemotherapy side effects for me were nausea, fatigue, painful joints and muscles, hair loss, mouth ulcers, and stomach cramps.

Comment from: Tanya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I had chemotherapy and radiotherapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma which was in between my lungs. My symptoms were fatigue, feeling low, pains across my chest and down my arms, then swelling of my veins underneath and around my breasts, swelling of my neck and face and a tight feeling in my scalp. I had no night sweats or swollen lymph nodes or any other common symptoms. It took 8 weeks of going back and forth to the general physician to get someone to listen to me. In the end I asked to speak to a practice manager and then I saw a good doctor who sent me to hospital for scans! This was 20 years ago when I was 26, hope this is helpful.

Comment from: Toone, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I had a CT scan at 61 years of age and had spots in my spleen. I had my spleen removed and had aggressive chemotherapy and was found cancer free. I had a CT scan at 72 years of age and had the exact same non-Hodgkin's lymphoma cancer again. I underwent chemotherapy again with Rituxan and have been cancer free until now at 80 years old.

Comment from: mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma 2 years ago. I had chemotherapy for 6 months. And now have a maintenance program every 8 weeks with the drug Rituxan. I had swollen nodes in my neck and a few swollen nodes in my stomach. Last scan showed all clear so far.

Comment from: Teresa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma 11 years ago. My primary care doctor had been told about my diagnosis 2 years earlier when I had gone for my first mammogram and they found swollen lymph nodes in my armpits. I went back for an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis and the doctors said a lot of big medical words and then said that if I noticed a change I should let my doctor know. I let her know but she almost let me die. Thanks to my doctor for my second chance.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter