Signs and symptoms of hives include an itchy, red, raised rash that can go away and reappear at another location over a period of hours. The skin rash appears as welts or wheals. Hives typically do not last for a long period of time. There is intense itching, and there may be a pale center in the middle of a red wheal.
Causes of hives
Other hives (urticaria) symptoms and signs
- Intense Itching
- Red, Raised Rash That Goes Away and Reappears Elsewhere on the Body
- Red Wheal with a Pale Center in the Middle
Main Article on Hives (Urticaria) Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Picture of Urticaria
This is a close-up view of wheals with white-to-light-pink color centrally and peripheral erythema. See a picture of Urticaria...
Skin Problems and Treatments: Surprising Reasons You're Itchy
Find out some unexpected causes of your itchiness, such as thyroid problems, cancer treatments, pregnancy, diabetes, and more.
Examples of Medications for Hives (Urticaria) Symptoms and Signs
- Antihistamines (Oral)
- cetirizine (Zyrtec, Zyrtec Allergy, Zyrtec Hives)
- cimetidine, Tagamet HB
- cyproheptadine (Periactin)
- diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- fexofenadine (Allegra, Mucinex Allergy)
- hydroxyzine (Vistaril)
- loratadine, Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert, Claritin Hives Relief, Children's Claritin
- montelukast, Singulair
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid