Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: M Namaste, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had been suffering from psoriasis for almost ten years. Recently I did a transition from male to female. I used hormone replacement last few months and I decided to stop the hormone replacement for the reason that my skin was getting urticaria (hives), plus I was overweight leading to chronic fatigue. At this time the urticaria started to get worse. I used a cream call Eumovate that was prescribed to relieve the psoriasis and I personally think was this cream that caused the urticaria. I am getting annoyed not finding control of this using the drugs that have been prescribed.

Comment from: Julie64, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 26

An old remedy that works to counteract allergic reactions is 1 tsp of cream of tartar in a small glass of water. Depending on how bad the hives are, this may take a dose in the morning and a dose in the evening for a few days. If mild case one dose and within a few hours hives will be gone. Look up cream of tartar (spice section). This is all natural. I had giant hives and the doctor told they would take a week and with this remedy they were gone in 3 days. My grandpa had great remedies that do work.

Comment from: lyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

The worst case of hives for me, face swollen up, and large patches on backside, arms, hands back of legs. I think I'm going to scratch myself to death. Nothing helps.

Comment from: glenda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I woke up one morning about 7 years ago covered in an itchy rash. Doctor said it was hives, gave me a shot, and they cleared up. Then they returned, so more shots, prednisone, cold compresses, allergist, etc., and nothing worked. Then I was taking a hot shower, accidentally almost scalded myself but I noticed the hives had stopped, so I turned the hot water to very hot, but not scalding, and for a split second sprayed each hive or patch of hives. They stopped itching. This effect stayed working for several hours. Now when the hives return each spring I take my Allegra, ranitidine and Singulair but they don't work as well as the hot showers. I take two or three a day and I'm itch free all over. Be careful not to scald yourself. My allergist told me he read years ago that heat makes the body produce natural antihistamines to prevent the scalding. This is why it works. A hand held shower is very useful; you can buy one for around USD 30 and just screw it onto where the fixed shower head was. As I say test the water heat, experiment with what works for you and don't scald yourself.

Comment from: Corona, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I get hives in different areas; sometimes swollen lip and tongue, top of hand or fingers, feet, etc., when I eat. It is not any one specific food. I have lost weight. I have had this problem for the last two years. At first I thought it was high blood pressure medicine Diovan but it was changed to metoprolol medicine.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?