Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: M Namaste, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had been suffering from psoriasis for almost ten years. Recently I did a transition from male to female. I used hormone replacement last few months and I decided to stop the hormone replacement for the reason that my skin was getting urticaria (hives), plus I was overweight leading to chronic fatigue. At this time the urticaria started to get worse. I used a cream call Eumovate that was prescribed to relieve the psoriasis and I personally think was this cream that caused the urticaria. I am getting annoyed not finding control of this using the drugs that have been prescribed.

Comment from: Julie64, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 26

An old remedy that works to counteract allergic reactions is 1 tsp of cream of tartar in a small glass of water. Depending on how bad the hives are, this may take a dose in the morning and a dose in the evening for a few days. If mild case one dose and within a few hours hives will be gone. Look up cream of tartar (spice section). This is all natural. I had giant hives and the doctor told they would take a week and with this remedy they were gone in 3 days. My grandpa had great remedies that do work.

Comment from: lyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

The worst case of hives for me, face swollen up, and large patches on backside, arms, hands back of legs. I think I'm going to scratch myself to death. Nothing helps.

Comment from: glenda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I woke up one morning about 7 years ago covered in an itchy rash. Doctor said it was hives, gave me a shot, and they cleared up. Then they returned, so more shots, prednisone, cold compresses, allergist, etc., and nothing worked. Then I was taking a hot shower, accidentally almost scalded myself but I noticed the hives had stopped, so I turned the hot water to very hot, but not scalding, and for a split second sprayed each hive or patch of hives. They stopped itching. This effect stayed working for several hours. Now when the hives return each spring I take my Allegra, ranitidine and Singulair but they don't work as well as the hot showers. I take two or three a day and I'm itch free all over. Be careful not to scald yourself. My allergist told me he read years ago that heat makes the body produce natural antihistamines to prevent the scalding. This is why it works. A hand held shower is very useful; you can buy one for around USD 30 and just screw it onto where the fixed shower head was. As I say test the water heat, experiment with what works for you and don't scald yourself.

Comment from: Corona, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I get hives in different areas; sometimes swollen lip and tongue, top of hand or fingers, feet, etc., when I eat. It is not any one specific food. I have lost weight. I have had this problem for the last two years. At first I thought it was high blood pressure medicine Diovan but it was changed to metoprolol medicine.

Comment from: Havefaithingod, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 15

Our 3 month old son got hives from drinking infant water with fluoride added. We are finding out that fluoride is very poisonous and should not be given to babies.

Comment from: Cat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have suffered from hives on and off for a while. It was really bad this weekend, it was a lot worse this time, even on my face. It made my eyes all puffy. It is the worst outbreak I have had.

Comment from: Angie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been experiencing hives every morning for just about a month now. I went to see an allergist, and I am not allergic to anything. He has diagnosed me with spontaneous urticaria. He tells me this is an immune disease and to take Aerius once a day. The Aerius helps with the hives, but as soon as I wake up in the morning I am still covered.

Comment from: latoya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have had hives from May of this year and it has been a terrible experience. The itching, and the swelling of my eyes, lips, face, hands, feet, and everywhere is embarrassing. I took prednisone and it worked just a short while. I took citrine, no use. The only thing that gives me some amount of ease is Allegra which is expensive. I am overweight so things I eat that has a certain food coloring in it (red) trigger it and tight clothing or anything that puts pressure on the skin. I am worried. I don't know what to eat. I need help.

Comment from: HELP AT LAST, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I developed red, very itchy spots on my legs last week. The doctor said bites and prescribed a steroid and antihistamines. My physical therapist said the hives were from chigger bites. They live in grasses and woody areas and are so small you can't see them. I went to my pharmacist and he gave me something called 'Chigger Away.' It is not found on the shelves. You have to ask for it. It is used by the military and hunters. Try it, it really works.

Comment from: Karie210, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

On July 23rd I was at a warehouse (no climate control), the weather had been extremely hot, in the 100s, when I noticed bumps appearing on my chest. Within an hour my forehead became itchy. I went into the restroom and discovered welts all over forehead and chest. That evening at home, the glands behind my ears became enlarged, I had blurred vision, headache, welts on scalp, forehead, side of nose, back of neck, chest and between breasts. The welts ranged in different sizes from a dime size to as large as a dollar coin! The next morning I went to urgent care. Doctor put me on steroid, antibiotic, and a pill for itch. It did not work! The rash on scalp has gone. But the hives on side of nose and everywhere else has gotten worse. I resigned my job because the heat aggravates it and now I am working in AC. I break out into uncontrollable sweats. Embarrassing! I have tried rubbing alcohol to dry them out. It worked on the scalp and the back of my neck. And then drown the hives with calamine lotion. Cortisone and other creams aggravate hives. I recently found a medication from a prior bacterial infection, cephalexin, and I have decided to try it. I have 7 days' worth. Fingers crossed! I started taking it today. I feel for anyone that has to deal with this! Also I was told when taking antibiotic for bacterial infection, to eat yogurt. It helps prevent diarrhea.

Comment from: Kfmw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Hopefully those of you with chronic hives will read this. I have had hives for almost 2 years now. I have been through all sorts of medical tests and pills. I take a Zyrtec, Allegra, and ranitidine morning and night and still have hives. They started after a very bad bout of vomiting and diarrhea. In the past few months I have finally found from someone who listened to me that it is something inside me that is causing them, not something external. Try getting yourself checked for an abundance of yeast, candida and do a cleanse. Avoid sugar, pastas, breads, etc. as much as possible and see if you get some relief. It is making a big difference in my life.

Comment from: Nanna0928, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I recently moved to a different region of the country, which seems to have triggered my hives. It seems to be environmental, although I also have to be very careful which medications I take (aspirin, Tylenol, other pain-relievers). I tried journaling what I ate, thinking I was allergic to certain foods. Some additives like seasoned salt, Accent, anything with MSG (monosodium glutamate) seem to trigger the hives, but I do think that the change in location/environment has a lot to do with it. I find that using Benadryl, either pill or topical cream, works, but also, washing the affected area with cold water seems to calm it down very quickly. Staying hydrated is very important; dry skin produces itching which in turn produces hives, at least in my case.

Comment from: RUSSELL G., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

Well, my hives story is this. On two occasions six years apart, I got hives from the white dental plastic tooth filling put into my tooth. I took the filling out and within days the hives subsided; it did not go away right away but the itching subsided tremendously. Do not let a dentist tell you this is not possible. I will never ever get this poison chemicals put into my mouth again. This stuff should be outlawed. I was dumb enough to do it two times.

Comment from: Mike, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I suffer with cold urticaria. When my skin is exposed to cool temperatures the skin actually turns red. No welts like hives, the entire surface turns red. I have experienced extreme swelling in my hands, face, lips, and even a little inside my mouth. Most doctors I have talked to about it have never heard of it and none has ever offered me any kind of relief. I have to be very careful here in Missouri in the winter to protect myself from the low temperatures. Lifestyle is very restricted due to this condition. I am convinced that my lethargy in the winter is caused by this condition.

Comment from: Mainah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

My daughter broke out in a strange rash on her arm one morning which continued on for about a month before going to the emergency room. She was diagnosed with hives and was prescribed prednisone and Claritin. Her symptoms diminished but on occasion she will get spots here and there, mostly upper body. Five months later I break out with the same. I have seen my general physician and also a dermatologist. Both state hives and I also was prescribed the same medication. I had a biopsy done on one of them which came back as severe fluoride hypersensitivity. I have contacted local water district and nothing has changed over the years. I do not understand this. I have always been allergic to aspirin so I never take it. I do not smoke, do not take supplements of any kind (other than prescribed medications for this). Weird that it is both my daughter and I, and my fiance has nothing! I am tired of itching; most of mine have been on my neck and jawline with an occasional one on my cheek, elbow, stomach and lower back.

Comment from: sami415, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 10

I've had hives for the past 2 weeks. I have no idea what I'm reacting to, it could be almost anything. I've taken Benadryl as well as a couple other antihistamines but they're not working. I've been to a doctor and am going to another one tomorrow.

Comment from: patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have had chronic urticaria and swelling for 52 years. I have had every allergy test and taken all kinds of allergy shots and no help. I have had the test where my blood was drawn, coagulated and re-injected into my arm and from that have found out that my allergy is myself. My system overreacts to everything, producing hives and swelling. I currently take Zantac, Xyzal, Benadryl, Zyrtec, Flonase and Singulair. Occasionally I take prednisone. Prednisone is the only thing that will make them go away. Unfortunately, I can't take them every day so I keep looking for the miracle drug. I have not found any topical medication that will reduce the itching. These hives are in no particular place, even the whites of my eyes have been hived up. The older I get the worse they get, even bruising. I don't take aspirin since it is known to aggravate hives. I have visited so many emergency rooms over the years due to so many hives out of control. I have had lots of steroids (shots and pills) and as I said above, I am always searching for a miracle drug for hives!

Comment from: Gin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I started to feel sick in July of 2014. I suddenly got a very dry mouth, to the point where I could not make spit. This went on for about 3 days along with nausea and anxiety. After that, it went away, then about a month later it happened again. Same symptoms. Then on Labor Day weekend, I took an Imitrex for a migraine headache. About 20 minutes later I had hives. I am allergic to sulfa, so I looked up Imitrex and found out it has a sulfa derivative. I went to family doctor and was put on prednisone, Zyrtec and Pepcid AC. Prednisone worked, but 2 days after the last dose, hives came back again. I went through this again in October, and the allergist put me on 4 Allegra, hydroxyzine and Benadryl along with the prednisone. Needless to say, I am all drugged out. Hives have returned, but I am able to keep them at bay by doubling up on antihistamines. They won't put me on any more prednisone. I'm curious if Imitrex has something to do with it.

Comment from: BDSims, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

We go out walking in various places full of nature quite a lot. But apparently something bit me on one of the excursions. I have these itching hives that appear in an area of my body, like my inner thigh, then the next day it's on my lower leg, next day or so it's on my right foot. They last several days, it is on my abdomen, swelling my old stretch marks from childbearing. These things itch like crazy and are quite sensitive to touch so I have to leave my pants open and my shirt has to be loose. Now it is forming under my left arm! I am going nuts dealing with this and hesitate to go to the doctor, because I don't want to take any medicine.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had what seemed to be a bite on my wrist on June 1, which was really itchy. I scratched it. Then I got small red circular patches on my hands that were white in the middle and had a red ring around the edges. Those spread to 80% of my body. I was itchy all summer after that, my head would get mounds on it and would itch every time I slept or I would break out into a sweat. I would get cold chills and then feel hot as blazes, I remember changing the thermometer on the house from heat to a/c all summer long. I could not sleep because of itching. I went to an allergist and was given a steroid shot. I went to a dermatologist and got a skin biopsy which came back clear. I got a sonogram of my abdomen and that came back okay. My blood test supposedly ruled out lymphoma or leukemia. I was given prednisone which did not work. My allergy testing came back negative except for a mild reaction to ragweed. I am not allergic to cats or dogs, I stopped eating all fermented products and dairy products and citrus. I went on a low histamine diet, turkey, soy milk and bananas. I read about vitamin D3 relieving hives and started taking 4,000 IUs of that and it has helped a bit but I had a lot of hives this past weekend and now my mom has them. So now I am really wondering what this is. I am starting to think it is caused by a virus. Vitamin D3 daily 4,000 helped me. I am now thinking it is caused by the Epstein-Barr (mononucleosis) or cytomegalovirus.

Comment from: Charlene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Exactly 10 years ago I got hives. After many doctors it was determined that I had chronic hives, but all the tests came back negative. After 10 months and many different medicines, they went away. Now, 10 years later they are back! Again all the tests are negative and none of the medicines help. I was actually taking 8 pills a day at one time. My primary care physician (PCP) and allergist both say, 'cause unknown' and we will never find out. They get worse at night. I am so tired of itching and wearing a bra is torture.

Comment from: Karen T, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

How does hives feel? It feels like I have gotten sunburned, rolled in the grass and gotten poison ivy, and then the bees start stinging! I developed hives about six months ago. First there were very few bumps, mostly just areas of itching, redness and burning. As the bumps started increasing, I saw my doctor who referred me to an allergist. I am now on a regimen of Allegra, Xyzal, Zyrtec and Zantac. I add Benadryl and prednisone when it is out of control. Episodes have lasted up to 12 hours. I started Xolair injections two months ago but no improvement yet. I have seen an endocrinologist because my thyroid antibodies are elevated. We plan to try low dose thyroid medication to see if that might help. I would not wish this on my worst enemy! I am a 62 year old retired nurse/grandmother who carries an EpiPen, a bottle of liquid Benadryl and ice packs whenever I leave the house. There is no way to know when a breakthrough will occur and all plans change quickly!

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I got hives 6 months ago. I have had a very bad case of them taking over 50% of my body since then. At that time I had a physical, my thyroid was normal, and I was taken off of Synthroid (levothyroxine), my thyroid medicine, even though previously I was told I had Hashimoto's by an endocrinologist. Hashimoto's does not go away so I should have known better than to believe my regular doctor. I also stopped taking Zoloft. I think the withdrawal of these medicines has caused me to have this condition. I had allergy testing and I am not allergic to anything. Then I had a skin biopsy with a dermatologist and it came back negative for cancer and for lupus. I am going back to the endocrinologist today in hopes of getting back on Synthroid in hopes that it will work. Just know that all thyroid testing is not precise. Hashimoto's can cause hives and you need to see endocrinologist for correct diagnosis. The old TSH test is not reliable.

Comment from: youi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I ate a tuber known as sweet potato, cooked in mutton broth. A few days later I started feeling very itchy, I scratched it and it got worse. It has now been 1 week and 3 days the sight is repulsive. It's like a rash of gross pimple looking things. It is so gross, it's itchy, and I've been sweating. I've taken hot baths and showers just to know now that I should not have. This is 3rd day into this and was then told I had hives. It is so itchy, and the sight is horrendously repulsive, not to mention the way it's spreading up and down my body. I'm agitated and irritated but have no problems breathing. I'm able to eat perfectly normally, drink, and smoke. They fade then return, I'm thinking because of the hot water. They are purple and my skin looks scarred. I hate hives; my poor skin.

Comment from: Mickey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have been suffering for the past month with hives on my feet, hands, butt, legs, and arms. They start as a raised welt about the size of a nickel. Once I scratch they grow to size of a plate. On three occasions it has affected my face, however it doesn't itch on my face. But my lip, jaw, and tongue blew up. I took 2 Benadryl, 2 hours later took another one, and 2 hours later took 2 more. Within 6 hours symptoms subsided. Face back to normal in about 24 hours. I tried holistic approach, did 24 hour Epsom salt drink detoxification. But didn't really help. Epsom salt baths helped sooth while in the water. I just did some research on candida overgrowth. I will try to cleanse and do diet changes and update results.

Comment from: Colleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I break out in hives when I work a night shift, usually between 6 - 10 pm. Hives are on my forearms, arm pits, lower back, buttocks back of thighs and sometimes my feet, eyelids and lips. After I get home, I take a shower the hives start to go away. Doesn't happen when I am not working. Very strange.

Comment from: Lcarter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I started breaking out with hives on May 27, 2014. At first I thought it was bug bites that I got when weeding outside after it rained and the lawn was mowed. By the next day my arms were covered. I went to the emergency room and they prescribed Pepcid, Benadryl and prednisone. I ended up back there in two days because I had a bad reaction to prednisone and the Benadryl. They gave me another antihistamine, hydroxyzine, gave me some lotion, and told me to keep taking the Pepcid. Two days later it was so bad I had to back. They put me on Decadron, ranitidine, hydroxyzine and an ointment. I went back to the doctor, my regular doctor, a little over a week later. My arms had cleared up pretty good, he had me stay on everything, but now, after my arms are almost all clear, I am breaking out on my legs.

Comment from: terri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

About 6 weeks ago I woke up covered with hives. I thought it was due to stress and lack of rest as a distressing situation was going on in my life. About the 4th week, I finally went to the doctor and was given prednisone which initially seemed to be helping but in the end did nothing. I went back to my family doctor... blood work came back normal. I am taking Zantac and Zyrtec but they are not helping. The hives cover my whole backside, my chest, stomach, and abdomen, arms, legs, and feet. They are on the bottom of my feet which is painful. I woke up with a fat lip and hives on my face this morning. I have found a cream called fluocinonide that is helping with the itching.

Comment from: Allison, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have suffered with hives, swelling of eyes, lips, tongue and difficulty in breathing for 25 years. I took Benadryl every day; until it no longer worked. I had every food allergy test done; nothing. I was scared to even travel. This condition was getting worse. Until I was rushed to the emergency room and had to use 3 EpiPens to get it under control. That doctor sent me to a specialist. In ten minutes she diagnosed me with chronic urticaria angioedema. It changed my life. I take 20 mg of Reactine with a 150mg Zantac twice daily. The two medications create a block to having a reaction. I do not exercise at least 2 hours after eating. I still have at least 4 to 5 full blown reactions a year. I carry 2 EpiPens at all times. The older I get, the more severe the breakouts are. But I feel I have control of this now. Twenty years ago I would use an EpiPen at least twice a month; not good for your heart.

Comment from: Veronica, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have suffered from physical urticaria since I was a child. I would have to constantly have to stop walking to scratch. I had to stop taking baths at a young age because they cause my thighs to break out in a dark purple rash. I have difficulty walking anywhere without breaking out in hives or itching immensely. It mostly occurs on my legs, and sometimes my arms. It is not affected by weather. I went to the doctor and she told me that if I started to walk more it probably wouldn"t irritate me as much, so I"m taking a walking/jogging class at my school, but I"m still itching. Benadryl doesn"t help. I'm thinking about investing in an EpiPen.

Comment from: fretcj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I developed what I thought was a spider bite after the July 4th weekend, but it continued to itch and remain a red hive on my arm. A few weeks later, another appeared on the other arm, itching and permanent for four months. With each week I developed more on my arms, then on my legs as September came and I cared for my husband's shoulder surgery and rehabilitation. I thought they were caused by stress, so never sought treatment. We are wintering in Arizona and a dermatologist could not give me an appointment for 6 weeks. Since we are traveling, I'm taking an antihistamine OTC, using aloe vera, vitamins and herbal tea, but have no relief. Night times are worst because the sheets cause the itching sensation. I tried Epsom salt soak, but no help. Years ago I was given urticaria medication for hives from air pollution and had a reaction to penicillin after hysterectomy.

Comment from: Susie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

For the past 6 months, I've had horrible cases of hives weekly. They were on my midsection mostly, especially where my clothes were tight. Waistline of jeans, where my bra is, etc. Today they're on the bottom of my arms and behind my armpits. The doctor has given me ranitidine, Vistaril, Benadryl to no avail. He gave me a topical fungus cream saying that it may work sometimes. He did a biopsy and blood work. It showed up this morning with a vengeance. I've switched detergents, stopped medications and I'm itching like mad. It's now in a place that would show unless I wear long sleeves. Is it possible that an unbalanced PH could cause this!

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I had a hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago. About four months later I broke out in hives, during the allergy season. They never went away. I was taking Zyrtec to control them, but it became less effective over time and I they finally broke through despite the medication. I'm now taking Zyrtec and hydroxyzine and am on Plaquenil. My doctor considers it auto immune despite the fact that all my tests are normal. I am hoping for remission, but not holding my breath.

Comment from: scaryone68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I get hives from physical touch like a scratch or burn or simply by applying too much pressure to an object (like using a screwdriver, opening a twist off top on a beer bottle, or carrying the plastic grocery bags around my wrists). I've had this over sensitive skin reaction since I was a teenager and it happens at least weekly, but in the last 5 years I have started having huge amounts of swelling in various body parts that itch kind of like hives. Body parts it has happened to include tongue (usually only one side), lips (both upper and lower lip but at different times), the pads of my fingers (varies which finger but never a pinky), and the ball of my foot (feels like your standing on a big smooth stone). These weird hive/swelling events are huge and usually clear up with ice and antihistamine within a few hours, but the swelling is alarming to see (especially the lips). I look like I have been smacked in the mouth with a baseball bat. The doctor always says, "I don't know what caused it", and it's gone before I can get an appointment so he only sees a picture. I feel better now after learning it has a name (physical urticaria and angioedema) and it doesn't mean I have contracted some rare disease. Reading that it happens to others and is not life threatening (unless tongue blocks airway anyway) makes me feel much better. I thought I might just be allergic to life, parts of it anyway, just wasn't sure which part/s.

Comment from: Kamal, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I am suffering from urticaria since last almost 15 years, I live in India and every six months the weather changes in this part of the world, half year summers and half year winters. The winter season is very difficult for me, as I can't do exercise, brisk walk, running, jogging, wear warm clothes, enter any room with heater on, etc. as I feel thousands of needles pricking my whole body, and my whole body gets extremely hot, the temperature around my face always remain hot during entire winter season. People joke about me and think that I am street smart kind of a person who does not wear warm clothes during cold weather as the temperature remains as low as 4 - 10 degrees.

Comment from: ger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I developed them after I had a cast removed from my left wrist, it was strange. Said left hand was extremely itchy with all the skin peeling off. The blotches were all over my body, I am going on my third week with them. The itching was the worst I have ever had. At first I thought it was a fungal infection since I have candida under my chest and athlete's foot, so I started taking yeast cleanser capsules plus lots of garlic, zinc, and acidophilus. Also I washed all my clothes in fragrance free detergent. I just started taking Zyrtec 10mgs daily which is helping.

Comment from: Sagi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have had hives for about 4 months. I am not sure if it is yogurt or some other food that has triggered the allergy. Initially the hives were longish lumps and would go off within 1 hour, but now the hives are spots, more itchy and last longer, some even for a day. Doctor gave me betamethasone cream and oral Glencet, but they have become less effective after using for 2 months. Now I apply a hot pad on the hives. This helps diminish the itch tremendously and also reduce the stubborn hives.

Comment from: hale, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had the itch and hives from near a month ago. The doctor gave me a dexamethasone and 30 pills of Telfast 120 mg. I got better but today I went out and I have another itch and hives at the place I fasten my belt although I already use antihistamine. I am really concerned about it.

Comment from: Jerry, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I have had hives for months and can't seem to find the cause, it's to the point where I've taken the medicine for so long that I think I'm getting immune to it. It seems to happen most when sleeping. I changed the sheets daily and even vacuumed the bed several times. I'm at a loss as to what to do next, I can't afford the doctor bills I already have, and that did me no good.

Comment from: leeshapo, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

I have gotten hives all my life when under undue stress, nothing had ever worked until I used Ivy-Dry last year. It is amazing. Then as my mom got terrible bed sores and pressure wounds from hospital stay I tried for this also and amazingly this is the best. Now I keep a lot around for all wounds except very deep ones. I think I spent 400 dollars seeking cures for my mom, then I used Calmoseptine on her sores as they dried up thanks to the Ivy-Dry; but they had to get dry, and that is where conventional bedsore medicines fall short.

Comment from: theresa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have hives and I have had this is for 3 years and I have been to the doctor and the hospital the past 4 weeks and no relief. They are so sore and I don't want to wear anything to touch me. Just the touch of clothes hurts; they are all over me.

Comment from: mfeliz01, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Just wanted to say that after suffering from urticaria hives for more than 1 year, I found out I was allergic to Aspirin! I have never been allergic to anything before, but after I stopped drinking Excedrin for my headaches, I am finally hives free.

Comment from: Bella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My allergy started about 25 years ago. I have seen over 3 scores of doctors, dietitians, priests, have done everything to stop the hives. The doctor describes it as Urticaria. I am taking about 4 to 5 medication a day. Nothing seems to be working.

Comment from: sooz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I have been experiencing nasty hives and extreme scalp itching for nearly a year. I take Benadryl at night but it does little to help and I am always awakened and kept awake by my itchy scalp. At this point, I'm losing my mind.

Comment from: LILMUNCHK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

Any itch that I get will welt up with hives. Once the itch starts it does not stop and it can be anywhere on my body. Usually these areas turn red and the area gets hot.

Published: June 23

I am experiencing my third bout of hives. The first time was in 1980. I was traveling on an extended vacation. Mount St Helen erupted and I was covered in hives within two to three days. They lasted for about a year. The second episode occurred after we had Hurricane Isabel. They were extremely severe, scratching until my body was covered with scabs secondary to bleeding from digging to control the itching. I went on multiple medications including prednisone, which caused problems with my diabetes. I took Ranitidine to knock them out. Then, approximately six weeks ago, within 30 miles from our home, we had tornado come through. Suddenly I am covered in hives. They are head to toe. The itching is most intense on my shoulders and trunk of body plus the ankles. I have been on Ranitidine for maintenance since then.

Comment from: justine k, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I am sick and tired of this hives thing, it is like a punishment. I tried everything but still no difference.

Comment from: Maggie malloy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have gotten hives on my breasts for years when my blood pressure is above healthy standard.

Comment from: JJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 29

After new medication for stomach acid, I broke out in hives after 1st pill. I stopped immediately and changed to another medicine; problem solved.

Comment from: lcjseebj, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

About once a day usually in the morning both my wife and I have itching and stinging on our backs, neck and sometimes on our faces. It lasts about a half hour. This winter is the only time it has ever happened.

Comment from: dimples of sta rosa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've been through this urticaria for about 1 year and 6 months on and off. I'm sick and tired of finding ways to cure this skin disease I have, at present I take Xyzal antihistamine and yet there are no changes.

Comment from: Sam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have suffered from urticaria for at least 10 years now. I have to take anti-histamines every day, when I don't, I flair up all over my body. It is so frustrating and the thought of having this for the rest of my life is so depressing! I am however grateful that I have never had my throat swell closed on me!

Comment from: dmojo1957, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was stung by 2 yellow jackets on August 17th. I broke out with a bad case of hives and even my lips swelled up on August 27th.

Comment from: N.a.n.a., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been taking antibiotics for a urinary tract infection (UTI) for 6 days and today I just started itching and welts began to appear. Within about 2 hours I was covered in hives, from my scalp to my ankles. I got Benadryl and cortisone cream and the relief lasted a couple of hours and then it was back full force. I have never experienced this before.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have been waking up with a rash most mornings for almost 1 year. I talked to my doctor once about it early on but it wasn't visible at the time of the appointment so that led to nowhere. The rash presents itself mostly on my forearms, the backside of my upper arms, armpits, torso sides under my upper arms, the sides and nape of my neck, and inside of my upper thighs. I find I've been scratching in the early morning hours when my body is warm in bed. No bedbugs or allergies to bedding. I treat with a hot shower which helps diminish the itch tremendously and sprinkle generously with Gold Bond medicated (gold bottle) powder. Sometimes my forearms and crooks of my elbows feel itchy before bed and I use the Gold Bond to help prevent the rash from starting. I don't take oral medications for this.

Comment from: benjamin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I am experiencing hives twice a week.it appears more often after dinner and usually last one to two hours after taking TELFAST 120 mg or ARTIZ

Comment from: Scotty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

On Feburary 2013 I suddenly began swelling in my face but I wasn't alarmed, I thought it was just a slight case of stress. But pretty soon I found my throat was shutting down and not breathing right. I called my girlfriend and she immediately came out with a nurse, they rushed me to ER then went by ambulance to a Level 3 trauma hospital. I had a team of 3 doctors and was in ICU. And it was caused by medicine I had been on for years. So be careful.

Comment from: Cool and Hot, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 25

I bathe on every alternate days and clean my limbs daily. I did not have any prior diseases related to skin, liver, kidney, etc. I had flu before some days (which might have occurred due to some allergy). The flu was over on its own. One day, when I was sitting I got minor itch on my back, which I scratched. Then, the area of skin became red with a small patch. Itching started around skin of neck and shoulder, which I slightly scratched. After around half an hour, every patch disappeared. Next morning, when I got up and washed my face with cold water, I felt warm on my face as it got dry. Then, I got itch on the back of my ear, then on neck, shoulder, chest, back etc. The cycle of itch-scratch-patch went on and disappeared after an hour. Third day, I got similar itch and rashes on my legs. On the morning of fourth day, I got it on my chest, back, and buttocks. I took pictures of each. On the fifth day, when I visited Doctor, he declared it as urticaria with dermatographism and prescribed antihistamines which I had started on my own on the fourth day, :-). I guess I developed auto-immune-disease following the allergen induced flu.

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I have been experiencing hives and angioedema for over 25 years. These were not well controlled by a variety of antihistamines that I had been on. Ten years ago I finally found an allergist who specialized in these conditions. He placed me on Doxipan 25 mg, 4 times a day. Doxipan is an antidepressant but has very strong antihistamine properties. It is over 100 times stronger than Benadryl and is very effective in stopping hives. I take Zyflo CR which is very effective in reducing the angioedema. Because it can cause liver damage, it is necessary to have regular blood tests. Singulair also works and it does not require blood tests, but is not as effective during periods of increased symptoms. Although these last two medications are generally for asthma, angioedema is caused by a similar mechanism. I hope this information is helpful to others who have similar conditions.

Published: June 25

I am currently suffering my first experience with hives. I woke up one morning, and out of the blue, I was covered in them from my shoulders to my feet. I tried calamine lotion and Benadryl. My face swelled up a couple times, and I went to the urgent care clinic, where I was given a steroid shot and an Rx for hydroxyzine and Zantac. I'm taking those twice a day, and I'm exhausted constantly. I haven't found a doctor who thinks they can help me. I guess I'm on my own with these meds. I just hope the hives go away soon. They are always the worst in the morning, so I think it's something in my bed, although I've switched out everything since the hives started.

Published: June 25

My husband suffers from hypothyroidism, is overweight (all in the middle), and 57 years old. He has had good health until his thyroid medication was changed. He immediately developed severe hives on his back (the size of silver dollars and raised) and a peanut allergy. He has had to be hospitalized with his tongue so swollen it was obstructing swallowing and breathing from the peanut allergy. The hives have been dormant for several months, but have just reappeared for no apparent reason. The only things that we can relate to time of the reappearance is that he took cascara sagrada, 1 capsule-2 days; his basal temperature had dropped so Armour was increased by 60mg. We do not know if this is the actual trigger. So far he has hives, no tongue swelling, but we are in fear it is to follow. Is there any way to reverse what the medication has done?

Published: June 25

I am 32 and have never had any skin problems of any type before. I jumped out of bed one night and thought there was a spider in my bed biting me. I got raised, itchy "bites" that itched like crazy. Turns out that they were hives. I have gone to two doctors and my allergist and they have all said the same thing "95% of the time we will never find out why this is happening". I find that hard to believe in our age of technology. I break out every other day or so. They are not unbearable, but they are really making me mad.

Published: June 25

I have small itchy collection of swollen bumps on my arm. Over the next month the hives would appear anywhere. At first it seemed brought on by contact with objects (I have since learned that those are called physical hives as opposed to allergic hives). But it doesn't always occur that way. Right now my wrist and hand are itchy with hive clusters. I take Claretin but that isn't working as well as it used to. I feel like a big itchy mess and I am so tired of scratching.

Published: June 23

I am in a hive outbreak now and have been for three weeks. I have experienced this before; it is miserable. I have visited dermatologists and allergists and no one can diagnose what it is. The only thing that helps is prednisone. Benadryl makes me sleepy, and doesn't work fast enough. It seems as if the hives sit dormant for about five years for me and then appear and stick around for a few months and then go away. I just wish there were something out there to make them go away!

Published: June 20

I sometimes break out in small red hives in my nape area for no particular reason. If I am nervous or extremely angry I will break out in large, red, boil looking hives along my forearm. I have always wondered if it could be an allergy to adrenaline. I was diagnosed with allergies and asthma at 18 months old. But I only seem to have symptoms to mold, nervousness and anger.

Published: June 20

I am 26 and got hives from scalp to toes for one week, had swollen lips and trouble swallowing went to ER and got an iv with 4 meds and by the next morning they went away. Then my 19 month old got them on the following afternoon, still ongoing, and scary.

Published: June 19

For the very first time in my life I have had the horrific experience of "hives." Coincidentally, I am also fighting a battle to ban the use of pesticides up and down the coast of Main where summer residents from "away" apply the same toxic pesticide/fertilizer combination to their lawns that many golf courses use and where it is a documented fact that grounds keepers suffer high incidents of cancers, skin diseases, prostate ailments, etc. These chemicals also kill fish, birds, bees and domestic pets. We should be looking at the use of pesticides as the culprit in diagnosis ing "hives." Even my dog is suffering from skin ailments for which she is being treated with steroids. How stupid are we to allow this poisoning to go on?

Published: June 19

I started itching late one evening, woke up to go to work and noticed that I was rashy EVERYWHERE! They sent me home, I went to the ER right after that. I was put on prednisone. And now stuck with a huge bill because I have no health insurance.

Published: June 18

First hives started after camping, they were true insect bites... then more would show up - thought that the mosquitos were just continuously biting me after we got back home so I started using "Off" and keeping myself covered. It's now been over a week and I keep getting more and more of them. The outbreaks are definitely getting worse. They used to be one here, one there... now they are in big clusters sometimes becoming one huge irregular hive. Tonight I found them all over my shoulders the backs of my thighs. No change in diet, weather, detergent... THEY ITCH LIKE CRAZY and don't disappear for a couple of days.

Published: June 18

I'm 26 years old now and I've been having hives since last year. My life has changed because I don't feel healthy anymore. The hives don't bother me as much as the swelling of my lips, eyelids, the tip of my fingers and my feet. Everyday when I wake up I look at the mirror to see where the hives and the swelling decided to station in my body. It's horrible!!! I don't know what to eat anymore. I don't know what to take either. Nothing works. I get them more during my menstrual cycle.

Published: June 18

My daughter, 10, came down with hives this a.m. I took her in to the nearest ER, we were out of town. She had been on amoxicillin for 9 days for strep. Before we left the house, I gave her Benadryl. Upon arrival at hospital she was given a form of "Pepcid"-famotidine and prednisolone plus a prescription for these. She has been on amoxicillin before, and Tylenol with codeine, Motrin and Tylenol children's. She suffered a broken arm and we used the meds for pain. Thankfully her hives faded with in a few hours. They were all over and we both were quite concerned.

Published: June 16

I have had hives since childhood but they would go away with antihistamines. At age 30 I was diagnosed with chronic urticaria with immense swelling from angioedema and the hives themselves. Welts about 6 inches across. This bout lasted 6 months. Two years later it came back twice as bad and lasted one year nonstop. My allergist knows I'm allergic to so many things indoors and outdoors and that I can't escape most triggers. He always prescribes 40 mg. of prednisone and sometimes initial injections of Medrol and Kenalog at the onset. I am very depressed but glad to have lived to share my story. I nearly died both times so now at the first signs of a breakout I must begin steroid therapy right away and be mindful of my symptoms. I'm thankful for the support of others. Idiopathic chronic hives with angioedema leading to anaphylaxis needs more intense research.

Published: June 16

I have had hives now for 6 months the doctors have done all of the test and they have come back all clear. I am now doing a Chinese remedy now which is helping to calm them down, and have slowly started to work out when I eat my hives come up. I just haven't found out yet what exactly causes hives.

Published: June 16

3 years ago after the birth of my daughter I began to get hives. I was still in the hospital with her when the bottoms of my feet started to swell. My second night home both of my eyes swelled shut and my lips swelled up. Gradually the hives decreased in size but not in frequency. Through my own research and process of elimination I've concluded that they are physically induced and stress related. I've cut out processed food, and now drink green tea and lots of water. This has helped but I still get them. I no longer take antihistamines, they don't work for me. For really bad outbreaks I soak in a tub of lukewarm water with baking soda. I wear as many natural fiber clothes as I can and keep things loose fitting. I keep hoping that I'll wake up one morning and I'll be hive free - at least for a day.

Published: June 12

My son is 5 years old and today 6/11 my husband and I took him to this water sprinkler in a park and after being no more than 20 minutes he broke out in hives all over his body from chin to toes it is amazing I could not even feel his body I ran to the pharmacy and got Benadryl and gave him some but this problem has slowly been getting worse it started with just small bumps here and there and over a little time, all over his body and its not only with water but cold weather as well and with mosquito bites he swells all around the bite quite a lot. It really concerns me now. I mentioned this to the doctor at the time and he said it was an allergic reaction and to just give him Benadryl. I really do not know what to do because now I am even afraid to take him to the beach like a normal child.

Published: June 12

I've been getting hives since 2003. The hives I've been experiencing are very chronic. I get them mostly on my hands and feet. When it appears on my feet, it's really bad. To the point of not being able to walk. It seems like the pain and the itching comes deep from within the bottom of my feet and gets worse as the day goes on. It feels like I'm walking on knots. Very painful. It last for about 2 days. I've tried Zyrtec, Prednisone, Claritin, Benadryl, Allegra and a steroid creme prescribed by my Allergist and NON of these products worked. I've even been to an Acupuncturist for 4 months. Nothing. This is interfering with my place of employment because when the hives flare up on my feet, I have to go home. The itching and pain are so great, that I'm physically drained and get a fever. I've been to 2 dermatologists and 2 allergists. Neither could tell me how to get rid of this except then prescribing the medication I mentioned. I had relief for about 6 months a year ago, otherwise, I get them every week.

Published: June 11

I have had hives on my scalp for over 15 years. They usually present themselves after working or golfing in the sun. I wear a hat when outside. I take fexofenadine but it does not help much. Since I live in Florida and golf year round I am bothered by them most of the time. I am a 73 year old well nourished male. My weight is 162 and I exercise six days a week for approx. 1/1/2 hours.

Published: June 11

When I think back I have been getting hives since I was a child. As I get older the hives get worse and worse. I started taking an over-the-counter antihistamine about 15 years ago and apparently my body became immune to it a few years back. I had to start taking prescription medicine (Zyrtec). I've been taking that for the last 5 years or so. Zyrtec just recently went OTC and now I'm becoming immune to it too! I used to take it every 48 hours because it does make me drowsy. Now I need to take it every day. The itching and hives are unbearable especially now with the heat. I'm going to see a new allergist next month. Hopefully I will gain some new insight on this condition. Also, I've long ago changed soaps, detergents, lotions, etc. to fragrance-free, hypoallergenic.....didn't really help. I still itch and break out in hives.

Published: June 11

I've had hives for 2 weeks now. A week ago i went to the doctor and got antihistamine pills and a cream. The pills work well but completely knock me out. The cream doesn't work at all. The bumps are gone from my arms (my arms feel smooth) and the rash is mostly gone but the itching is still as horrible as it was. Now the rash and bumps have spread to my chest and neck. I'm taking Claritin now for the daytime and then taking the pills I got from the doctor at night. I've found that sticking some aloe vera gel in the fridge is the most helpful when i wake up itchy in the night.

Published: June 11

For the past 4 years, every summer I get a rash on the outside and side of my elbow, also above and below the elbow. Last year it spread to both my arms and hands. Its lasts all summer until the fall and I have no idea why it only comes in summer or why it comes at all.

Published: June 11

I started out with just red patches that burned and itched on my forearms. That went away and I started getting random hives on my legs first thing in the morning. The random hives turned into full blown hives on my legs in a couple of weeks. Now (a few months later) I've been waking up with hives literally from my toes to my eye lids. Huge red welts that itch like mad. I had allergy tests and came back with no allergies at all, not even dust. My doctor suggested Claritin - no effect. Reactine - no effect, Benadryl - no effect and it makes me sleepy. Now I'm trying the Reactine again with Zantac as an H2 blocker, and we'll see if that helps.

Published: June 10

I was at work, cleaned up some water from the floor, fish tank water, at first it was my right ear that began to itch and swell now a good part of my body including bottom lip , eyes and face, don't know what happend.

Published: June 09

I have been suffering from hives this year since the 27th of May. The last two years I did not have any hives, but this year, it is unbearable. I write down everything thing that I eat, and drink. Then the hives would start very late at night, between 12 midnight until the later part of the morning. I take Benadryl, I use creams, rubbing alcohol. It is very unbearable and frustrating. I'm reluctant to go to an allergist because the last time I went to an allergist, they wanted to give me shots and did not know what I was allergic too.

Published: June 09

I have always had hives growing up, since the age of 4. I lived in Chicago, Ill during those episodes. My mother moved us to Texas by the time I was 9 to see if it was the weather or the food that would cause the reaction. Oddly enough in Texas I did not have a reaction at all. We had such a fun time hive free. Now in my 30's live in California and still no reactions. Recently I had to travel to the United Kingdom for work, and guess what? I broke out in hives from head to toe! I am allergic to Benadryl and cannot take anything containing it. To relieve some discomfort due to the itching I would sit in a cold tub of water. When I saw my boss in the morning for work, he could see my hives and swollen lip. He offered me an antihistamine and it helped. I took a Zantac and the itching stopped and the hives went away. The hives can really stop you in your tracks. So, if you travel always take the necessary things you might need even if it has been years since a last breakout.

Published: June 06

The hives first appeared on my legs only, then just arms and legs and now they are everywhere, even the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet. The itching is nearly unbearable. I have had every skin test, lab test, skin biopsy, and even X-rays all to no avail. I have tried everything from Benadryl to Decadron without relief. These spots have changed my life! I get them from heat, pressure, stress, and fatigue. The only area that I can find continuous relief is the soles of my feet when soaked in very cold water.

Published: June 06

I took lamisil and started experiencing hives. My grandmother told me to use powder to calm the hives. The powder works instantly. After putting the powder on I also took a Benadryl. With the combination of the powder and the Benadryl I am dealing with the hives. I have not had them for six weeks.

Published: June 06

I started getting hives when I was 15 and now I am 23 and they still are here they go away for awhile and then they come back in full force my lips eye's and hands, feet. I have tried every method in the book and nothing works for me except for Prenazone which is very hard to get cause of the long term affect but it is the only thing that works for me and my mom had them for 12 years and one day they just went away I went to so many doctors and no one knows what the cause is except for maybe I inherited it from my mother so the way I look at it is I got 7 years down and hopefully only another 5 to go.

Published: June 05

I get a bad case of them every year, around this time of year, the first time I am out in the sun for an extended period of time. This year it was my daughter's soccer tournament. I use sunscreen religiously all year, and change brands often, so I don't think it could be an allergy to any particular sunscreen, cosmetic, food, etc. I think I may be allergic to sun. Oddly enough, the hives are always in the same places - big patches covering my forearms (top only) and smaller patches on my upper arms (also the top only), and a big patch on my upper chest. They have never been on my legs or my face or my torso. It starts out as tiny hard bumps under my skin - it almost feels like grains of sand under my skin. The next day the area is red and very hot and the bumps begin getting bigger. They spread out and become fluid-filled blister-like bumps. They are bright red and quite hot to the touch, and I begin to feel like I have a fever. Topical Benadryl and calamine lotion help a little. Taking Benadryl helps a little. What feels the best to me is to soak in a plain water, tepid bath for as long as I can stand to. The blister spots are starting to rupture and dry up, and actually feel better at this stage - the itching is less intense and the heat is starting to go away. In another day or so, I will start using a scrub and a heavy-duty moisturizer. The patches where the hives occur will look discolored for several months. Each time this happens I wonder if I should start on a preventative course of Benadryl when I know I will be out in the sun for the first time. Then I forget and it happens again. I am ready to move to Ireland, where it is virtually impossible to get a sunburn.

Published: June 04

I broke out with hives one night and most likely will attribute it to the iridescent makeup powder that I put on for fun. I did get carried away and put a lot. It has been 6 days and the hives have not gone away. My hives are very small (like prickly heat bumps) and it is all over the body. It itches very much. Also, my face is swollen. I am taking Zyrtec and applying Calamine lotion.

Published: June 03

I am a 35 year old woman suffering with hives. My story seems unique in that I get them every 7 years and they last for 1 whole year!! Yup, like clockwork! I am miserable again and covered all over. I am now on a strong does of Atarax and still, no relief!! This is my 5th cycle of horrible hives in my life and no one seems to be able to find (1) the reason or (2) the cure. Anyone else suffer the 7 year itch like me?

Published: June 02

I've been breaking out with hives since I was 9! Here the past 2 years it has been every few days. I get them in my hands and face and more often all over my body! I take Benadryl and Zantac 150 every 4 hours trying to avoid them but nothing works. I have wound up in the emergency room several times after they had lasted 48 hours or more and no relief was in sight. These breakouts have cost me 3 jobs and it's getting really old.

Published: June 02

It is about 2 months now and my conditions to which I attribute to physical hives has just gotten worse. At first I thought I had dry skin. About a month into itching episodes I noticed it was out of the ordinary and lotion didn't help. I finally realized something was wrong when I was always scratching my palms and bottom of my feet, my shoulders and hips. The worst episode that made me search out an answer was when my entire back itched like crazy, everywhere i scratched lightly it raised in the line where I scratched and in addition little bumps and patches started to swell. A month has gone by since that episode and the itching continues but always moves about to various locations. Buttocks, groin, hips and hands and feet are the main areas, often tummy too. The itching last for about 20 minutes then fades. I can take Benadryl and control an outbreak of itching. I have been out in public when my whole body went crazy like I needed to get up and dance crazy and that is when I take an antihistamine. I have not seen a doctor but worry about related immune disorders since these symptoms are so odd for me and I have never had food allergies. I am considering questioning my doctor but I am otherwise feeling fine so perhaps I have one of the longer lasting cases. It's not fun and so strange. I have tried to limit my diet to see if something I eat is the culprit, like milk, but it has proven difficult to make a true test.

Published: June 02

My hives started in February on the left side of my jaw. They were a little patch that would come and go but in April after a very stressful time they became full blown all over they come and go all over my body. I feel a burning tingling sensation then in a few moments it looks as though I have been clawed. I had the same thing happen a few years ago but they went away using Hydroxizine for a few weeks. This time nothing has worked the only thing I have found to suppress then is taking a Chlor-tab four times a day it takes the itching and burning feeling away until the next dose. It has gone on for so long now I don't know if they will ever go away. My doctors are bewildered.

Published: June 02

My adult daughter has had hives for eleven months now....every day.....frequently her face and lips are swollen and the red welts are on all areas of her body including soles of the feet and palms of her hands. They often seem worse at pressure points where clothing is constricting and warm. Tests have not revealed any allergen. Generic Claritin works for a little while to relieve the itch.

Published: June 02

I'm seventeen years old, I've never been allergic to anything. About a month ago, I attended my sister's birthday party. It was outside. Ever since then I've been scratching like crazy! Yesterday morning I woke up with huge welts on my legs below the knee. I took some Benadryl and put hydrocortisone on my legs and soaked in the tub of cool water. Within minutes they disappeared. I fell asleep and 3 hours later, I woke up. They weren't below the knee anymore, they're now on my thighs, but even worse. As if they relocated. I took some more Benadryl and put some more hydrocortisone on them and fell asleep once more. I woke up this morning with them below my knee again. Strange, I know. The doctor said it would continue for a week or so.

Published: May 30

My hives just appeared out of nowhere. It is painful, and very itchy. I'm all swollen; it is all on my face. I can't see out of my right eye. The Dr. said it was just an allergic reaction to something I handled in the yard. I've had them for 3 days now. They aren't going away. I'm miserable with them. My face looks awful.

Published: May 30

Since the first week of March, I have been experiencing itchy, red streaks that appear and disappear from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. The streaks come in go with in minutes. Prior to a breakout, I can feel the heat and know exactly where the hive will show up. I have been to a dermatologist 6 times and tried a variety of medications that still have not made the situation any better. He concluded that I was experiencing stress. The only medication/vitamins that I take are, 60 mg of Cymbalta a day (for anxiety) and one a day vitamins. My diet nor cleaning supplies have changed over this time. This morning while attending a meeting, my director jumped up and said, "Are you alright?" I said, "No." It felt as though someone was in front of meet passing there fingernails in my skin from the top of my head to my feet. Everyone in the room looked at me and gasped. They could feel the heat several inches away from my body and stared at the long streaks that covered my face. Paramedics were called. By the time they reached the office the hives turned pink. I was brought to the doctor who has been in practice 20 years. He and his nurse sat with me for an hour and watched in front of their eyes scratches like hives appear down my arms, legs and face and disappear within minutes. Tomorrow morning they are planning on running blood work on me because I had one thyroid removed December 2007. The doctor will also check to see if I am beginning Menopause (I am 46 yrs. old) If this rules out he said he thinks I need to see a psychiatrist, not that I am crazy but to see if my cells are giving off a histamine through my blood stream (Some sort of in balance) The doctor said that in his experience, he has seen hives like this on patients, but the hives last a few days, not just appear and disappear before the naked eye. This situation is starting to interfere with my work and my family. The itching is worse than pain.

Published: May 29

I have had hives since February. They started at work. I think I got bit by a bug since later on the bugs were found to be in my phone, and I felt a bite at the back of my neck and then the hives started. I didn't think they were related at the time. The bugs were found later. I was on prednisone in the emergency room, and my entire office was stripped. I got itchy at work and hives at work. The hives continue. They come and go but mostly come. It is distressing. I hope they go away soon. I have been on a course of prednisone. The acute phase is over, but I continue to have hives regularly. Anything can trigger it heat, sun, mosquito bites or anything. I am 56 and have never been sick or allergic to anything, but I had a lot of stress in the last six months.

Published: May 23

I have been dealing with hives since February and it is now the end of May. I have had an allergy test done and blood test...no conclusion. It is very depressing not knowing what the cause is. I have become obsessed to the point I am eating nothing but one meat and rice, washing clothes five times without soap and taking showers without soap! I am still breaking out in hives. All this is unhealthy because I am trying to breastfeed my seven month old and take care of other children. I know something is going on with my body and no one knows. The hives pop up on my lip, hands, torso, but never on my legs.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter